Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

He showed the white walls
https://twitter.com/BaliEarthSoul/status/1459019512712339457?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

What did carl tweet before his account was purged?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I think that's the message for a deactivated account (by the user), banned accounts show "Account suspended."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Peggotty posted:

I think that's the message for a deactivated account (by the user), banned accounts show "Account suspended."

suicide by double-tap in the back of the head

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Carl posted the High Speed Rail to Taiwan 2035 and was silenced for it

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Sympathizing with Mark re 2yo's in daycare getting hand foot mouth back to back with rsv, real bad times

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid just got over rsv, fuckin sucks

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah out of all the podcast set, dolan and ames seem the most genuinely relieved at being able to make relatively stable, decent money for once. one gets the impression that they're not entirely sure this isn't all some kind of elaborate hoax which will pull away the carpet from under them at the worst possible moment

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah out of all the podcast set, dolan and ames seem the most genuinely relieved at being able to make relatively stable, decent money for once. one gets the impression that they're not entirely sure this isn't all some kind of elaborate hoax which will pull away the carpet from under them at the worst possible moment

yeah i'd have the same feeling if i were them. the ESL circuit is a nightmare that i'd be forever dreading having to return to

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i checked and they've got about 4000 subscribers. at $10 a month, that's $40,000 a month - they hired a sound guy, which probably costs them a fair chunk, and i don't know how much of that goes out in taxes, patreon's cut and various expenses, but i'd guess that they're taking home about $100,000 per annum each which is Pretty Good for independent journalists and must simply seem like heaven to a previously eternally broke ESL teacher

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I sometimes listen to John's tales and think about all the interesting places he's been that I'll never go

But absolutely no thanks to that life, gotta be brutal. At least he had a partner to share it with.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

One of John's best ever articles was the one he wrote for NSFW Corp or Pando, about how he and his wife were almost killed by being poor in Canada. I don't think you can find it now because it was repackaged as a 99 cent ebook. https://www.amazon.com/Canada-Was-Cakewalk-John-Dolan-ebook/dp/B00CL0KE94

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 21:54 on Nov 14, 2021

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

V. Illych L. posted:

i checked and they've got about 4000 subscribers. at $10 a month, that's $40,000 a month - they hired a sound guy, which probably costs them a fair chunk, and i don't know how much of that goes out in taxes, patreon's cut and various expenses, but i'd guess that they're taking home about $100,000 per annum each which is Pretty Good for independent journalists and must simply seem like heaven to a previously eternally broke ESL teacher

It is darkly amusing that despite this success, he and Katherine still can't seem to wrangle permanent resident visas in Europe.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
john deserves to live comfortably, and frankly god knows how much RNW money goes into paying for whatever random medical ailment he picks up each year.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

One of John's best ever articles was the one he wrote for NSFW Corp or Pando, about how he and his wife were almost killed by being poor in Canada. I don't think you can find it now because it was repackaged as a 99 cent ebook. https://www.amazon.com/Canada-Was-Cakewalk-John-Dolan-ebook/dp/B00CL0KE94
He should compile more of this stuff, especially his newsletters, I'd quite happily pay for it.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nothus posted:

It is darkly amusing that despite this success, he and Katherine still can't seem to wrangle permanent resident visas in Europe.

i suspect that both dolans are extremely bad at this kind of paperwork tbh

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

there are a few of dolans writings on the exiled (sadly not the exile which is very paywalled) website about his time in poverty

https://exiledonline.com/living-with-cons-and-paupers-in-canadas-arctic-waters/

https://exiledonline.com/tips-for-new-paupers/

and then this one which is written under a pseudonym but is also clearly dolan and one of my favorite things he's ever written: http://exiledonline.com/to-the-crows/

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

V. Illych L. posted:

since patreon is non-w2 related income, basically just multiply whatever the gross figure is by 0.55 for the net. so 264k seems appropriateish.

there's also a good chance that they compensate their guests for their time, too.

now to not think about the complete fork in the road that taibbi took vs ames/dolan... :smith:

Phone has issued a correction as of 02:16 on Nov 15, 2021

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

V. Illych L. posted:

i suspect that both dolans are extremely bad at this kind of paperwork tbh

You'd think Annibale could hook them up with a lawyer so they could stay in Italy, they both clearly love it there.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

$10/month? i pay $5/month and get all the episodes and newsletters........

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Phone posted:

since patreon is non-w2 related income, basically just multiply whatever the gross figure is by 0.55 for the net. so 264k seems appropriateish.

there's also a good chance that they compensate their guests for their time, too.

now to not think about the complete fork in the road that taibbi took vs ames/dolan... :smith:

It worked. Taibbi gets over a mil for the diarrhea he shits out, and Ames and Dolan are lucky to get a 1/10th that amount for actually putting out something decent. That's capitalism!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

$10/month? i pay $5/month and get all the episodes and newsletters........

you know i've never actually checked but when i signed up it said $5 for each episode up to a max of $10 per month. if it's $5 it's a much smaller $50,000 per annum, which is still a solid base income but obviously much less than what i thought

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lobster shirt posted:

and then this one which is written under a pseudonym but is also clearly dolan and one of my favorite things he's ever written: http://exiledonline.com/to-the-crows/

this one loving whips

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

So about the show, this new episode on McLellan is a real eye opener for me, because it sounds like an open and shut case that he was a traitor. I like to think I know a lot about the civil war because I went through the civil war buff phase as a kid - but really most of what I learned was revisionist history shaped by a white consensus.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

this one loving whips

quote:

Besides, if you really want the details, I saw a Wendy’s—somehow not quite as evil as McDonald’s though I don’t exactly know why not—as soon as I swooped off the ramp, but—it’s a long story but basically there was nobody IN there which is a bad sign, and it was raining and the woman behind the counter stared at me like she already hated me, so I went next door sloshing through the rain to McDonald’s. So sue me.

i love him

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
John needs to compile these civil war episodes into an alternate history of the civil war book, because an unapologetic pro-union take is refreshing.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

So about the show, this new episode on McLellan is a real eye opener for me, because it sounds like an open and shut case that he was a traitor. I like to think I know a lot about the civil war because I went through the civil war buff phase as a kid - but really most of what I learned was revisionist history shaped by a white consensus.

i like to think i have a very low opinion of the american elite and its always delightful to learn that there is indeed always more and it in turn is always worse

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Spime Wrangler posted:

i like to think i have a very low opinion of the american elite and its always delightful to learn that there is indeed always more and it in turn is always worse

Northern elites thinking they're in some kind of fraternity with southern planters and that being a decisive factor in why the Confederacy was able to last so long, is both shocking and familiar at the same time. :thunk:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

McLellan writing to himself about how magnanimous he is for not becoming a dictator, has the same kind of energy as a gaming forum poster who literally thinks he'll be the God Emperor.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
A small thread about the attitude of the paper of record at the lead up to the civil war:

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1459925519856771072

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1459926524614922240

"I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The plan for the South after looking into their future was to do filibustering adventures in Latin America, turn those states into slave states, and just keep moving their plantations further south when they had depleted the soil.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The plan for the South after looking into their future was to do filibustering adventures in Latin America, turn those states into slave states, and just keep moving their plantations further south when they had depleted the soil.

https://youtu.be/IjmtVKOAHPM

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That would be funny (and horrifying) to see, even if they managed to sway the local elites into supporting their cause the countrysides would be likely be bristling with anti-anglo guerillas and escaped slaves, not to mention that it would turn them into a complete pariah state to the world.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Who the gently caress would be buying that Cotton? Egypt was already beginning to supplant the Americas in production and abolitionism was growing in Europe so there would be a lot of public pressure to not buy from them.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The Southern slaver elites were absolutely insane, as John likes to note

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Agreed, the stuff I learned about the civil war in school was absolutely pitiful compared to this series.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i highly doubt they would do it but a fun coda to the civil war series would be a look at the harry turtledove southern victory series

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

getting at the real questions, like is Stonewall Jackson on a horse with an AK47 a technical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Spime Wrangler posted:

getting at the real questions, like is Stonewall Jackson on a horse with an AK47 a technical?

It’s not a light cargo/utility vehicle or a static weapon.

Speaking of, the Tachanka is depending on definition the first technical. Not sure if the Ukrainian anarchists were the first to do it but they made it famous