Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ASAPI posted:

The only thing I’m taking solace in right now is that things would be far, far worse with Trump in charge.

Yeah, but it's a solace that feels like a temporary stay of execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The lights keep flickering on and off as they're trying to get the electric chair working

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

ASAPI posted:

The only thing I’m taking solace in right now is that things would be far, far worse with Trump in charge.

How so? Democrats seem to be pushing the same pro-wealth, anti-working class agenda the GOP does, just as Joe promised when he told donors that nothing fundamentally would change. Is it just that they’re less gauche? At least under Trump the administration’s incompetence often led to their ghoulish plans’ failure and the liberals weren’t all completely asleep. Most of my liberal friends are convinced that the adults are in charge and have stopped paying attention, meanwhile the border camps are still packed full of the humans their yard signs insist aren’t illegal, we’re on track for more Covid deaths in Biden’s first year than we saw in Trump’s final year, and Joe Biden, an architect of the nation’s failed war on drugs, has signaled that he’s quite happy to let people continue to be forced into slave labor for the crime of being caught with a plant despite being able to stop such an obvious injustice with the stroke of a pen.

Big Headline is wrong. We aren’t going to see an end to democracy: it has been and gone, and we are ruled by oligarchs who maintain a thin veneer of democratic legitimacy to keep the people in line.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Loucks posted:

How so? Democrats seem to be pushing the same pro-wealth, anti-working class agenda the GOP does, just as Joe promised when he told donors that nothing fundamentally would change. Is it just that they’re less gauche? At least under Trump the administration’s incompetence often led to their ghoulish plans’ failure and the liberals weren’t all completely asleep. Most of my liberal friends are convinced that the adults are in charge and have stopped paying attention, meanwhile the border camps are still packed full of the humans their yard signs insist aren’t illegal, we’re on track for more Covid deaths in Biden’s first year than we saw in Trump’s final year, and Joe Biden, an architect of the nation’s failed war on drugs, has signaled that he’s quite happy to let people continue to be forced into slave labor for the crime of being caught with a plant despite being able to stop such an obvious injustice with the stroke of a pen.

Big Headline is wrong. We aren’t going to see an end to democracy: it has been and gone, and we are ruled by oligarchs who maintain a thin veneer of democratic legitimacy to keep the people in line.

Look, they leave much (so very much ) to be desired.

We would have twice as many dead under Trump. Everything that we are complaining about now would be accelerated, others have already observed that the republicans are quick to push through plans while the dems don’t.

Are they doing what I want them to do? No. Are they better than Trump? Yes. I can hold that opinion, it isn’t like you have to do mental gymnastics to equate the current admin as “better”.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ASAPI posted:

We would have twice as many dead under Trump. Everything that we are complaining about now would be accelerated, others have already observed that the republicans are quick to push through plans while the dems don’t.

Are they doing what I want them to do? No. Are they better than Trump? Yes. I can hold that opinion, it isn’t like you have to do mental gymnastics to equate the current admin as “better”.

In the state of georgia, is it enough better to matter? The legislature has basically passed laws saying "lol good luck getting a democrat city dog catcher let alone electoral college votes ever again" and legislative democrats have no stomach to deal with it and the president, if he has any ability to deal with it, will get owned by the courts. So as far as I can see the only thing Biden being in office has changed for people in this state is...1) We don't have to fear that the president is gonna start a nuclear war and 2) I guess savannah will get some better port facilities?

edit: Like if the GA Repubs go insta-fash and start implementing de-facto jim crow is the Biden-DOJ and Democrat congress gonna do anything about it?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 14, 2021

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Defenestrategy posted:

In the state of georgia, is it enough better to matter? The legislature has basically passed laws saying "lol good luck getting a democrat city dog catcher let alone electoral college votes ever again" and legislative democrats have no stomach to deal with it and the president, if he has any ability to deal with it, will get owned by the courts. So as far as I can see the only thing Biden being in office has changed for people in this state is...1) We don't have to fear that the president is gonna start a nuclear war and 2) I guess savannah will get some better port facilities?

edit: Like if the GA Repubs go insta-fash and start implementing de-facto jim crow is the Biden-DOJ and Democrat congress gonna do anything about it?

They probably will, and the McConnell court will support the fash.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

ASAPI posted:

There’s no way to know either way which would be worse, but once Dems took control they dropped the centrist culture war over Covid and rushed to end NPIs. I’ve heard a lot about listening to “science,” but at every step the guidance has been at odds with the latest research, from embracing an eighty year old lie about the nature of airborne droplets to pretending that a nonsterilizing vaccine is sufficient to throw away masks and distancing to insisting that actually kids are immune and if they aren’t it’s really no big deal for them to be infected with a largely unknown virus.

Maybe Democrats are “better” than Republicans in the sense that they mostly just attempt to maintain the incredibly unjust status quo at any cost while the Republicans are effective at pushing to the right. This is a case where “better” just gets you an openly white supremacist theocracy a decade or two later instead of actually preventing it. That’s not a meaningful distinction to me.

e: My point is that we need to do a hell of a lot of work to create a remotely just country, and the Democratic machine is incredibly effective at crushing any effort to do so. They’re quite openly a massive part of the reason people’s material conditions are only permitted to improve as a last resort.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 14, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Loucks posted:

What's better, hanging by a string with the *faintest* of hopes or plunging to your death?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What's better, hanging by a string with the *faintest* of hopes or plunging to your death?

It is better not to lie to oneself. If one refuses to admit one is falling it is impossible to try to arrest one’s fall.

e: I didn’t come in here to argue with anyone, but there’s real “this is fine” energy from some in here, and it’s disturbingly at odds with every bit of evidence I can see. Nothing is going to change unless people are willing to face reality.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 15, 2021

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Jesus Christ you must be fun at parties. I think I'm gonna go crack open a beer now, gently caress.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Do you talk about politics at parties? I’d reconsider that if I were you.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The lowtax thread is dead.

Any former gippers lurking the CE thread that came back after hearing the news? It's okay, we know the shadows are comfy, but you can come out now, say hi.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Loucks posted:

There’s no way to know either way which would be worse, but once Dems took control they dropped the centrist culture war over Covid and rushed to end NPIs. I’ve heard a lot about listening to “science,” but at every step the guidance has been at odds with the latest research, from embracing an eighty year old lie about the nature of airborne droplets to pretending that a nonsterilizing vaccine is sufficient to throw away masks and distancing to insisting that actually kids are immune and if they aren’t it’s really no big deal for them to be infected with a largely unknown virus.

Maybe Democrats are “better” than Republicans in the sense that they mostly just attempt to maintain the incredibly unjust status quo at any cost while the Republicans are effective at pushing to the right. This is a case where “better” just gets you an openly white supremacist theocracy a decade or two later instead of actually preventing it. That’s not a meaningful distinction to me.

e: My point is that we need to do a hell of a lot of work to create a remotely just country, and the Democratic machine is incredibly effective at crushing any effort to do so. They’re quite openly a massive part of the reason people’s material conditions are only permitted to improve as a last resort.

The administration backed off mask requirements to encourage people to get shots, then ramped them up again when that didn't work and Delta began to surge, and has begun implementing vaccination mandates to overcome resistance to the vaccine (Which has succeeded thus far to the point that 99.9% of Americans aged 65-74 have at least one shot, as do 96.2% of those 75 years or older). Meanwhile, documents released just days ago showed Trump Administration officials actively loving with the CDC in the early days of the pandemic, and given their overall organizational track record of "utter dogshit," it is not hard to imagine that vaccine distribution by the Trump administration would have been completely hosed—and their response to the Delta variant being a shrug.

It's fair to be disappointed or underwhelmed by the Biden administration, but for god's sake, we're not even a year removed from one of the most incompetent, least effective, and most actively malicious presidential administrations in the history of the country. At least try and have some perspective!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The lowtax thread is dead.

I've been told it exploded into drama, depravity, homegroan, and random BPD posts and chatlogs. I believe the LadyAmbien posts wrapped the whole thing up (lol he basically has an inverse estate), and the GoFundMe is doing solid numbers (goal revised twice already). gently caress help you if you can read all 300+ pages :patriot:

The Moderna booster basically has 36 hours of side effects, like most of them appear to be. Yesterday sucked and was about in-between doses 1/2, but the arm pain is a bit higher for some reason. Get it on a Friday and you'll probably be good Sunday morning.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

The Moderna booster basically has 36 hours of side effects, like most of them appear to be. Yesterday sucked and was about in-between doses 1/2, but the arm pain is a bit higher for some reason. Get it on a Friday and you'll probably be good Sunday morning.

Yes, I may have spoken too soon when I said that there were no noticeable side effects beyond a sore arm. Definitely felt like a I had a bit of a fever last night and I've been deathly tired most of the day today. The fact that I got a flu shot at the same time might have exacerbated the effects maybe? Hoping I'll go back to feeling like a human being tomorrow. I didn't feel nearly this bad back when I got my Pfizer shots like seven months ago.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Loucks posted:

This take is going to age like fine wine after Trump gets re-elected. White-Hot stuff right here

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
There's a large gap to exist in where you acknowledge how hosed the democrats are but also are 100% sure that things would have been worse under Trump.

Of course they would be, this isn't people not facing reality it's people trying to live their lives.

Accelerationist arguments state that things have to get worse before everyone snaps and there's a small chance things improve so maybe Trump going full fasc and totally unleashing ghe GOP would push us into that worse time and trigger a shake-up.

But its likely to go poorly for progressive ideals if it came to that.

Things are bad but diving headfirst from the ledge isn't the best survival option.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Thelma and Louise canyon scene but they decide to drive parallel to the cliff for a brief spell because the people can have a treat and the companies wanted a slightly longer run time.

facialimpediment posted:

I've been told it exploded into drama, depravity, homegroan, and random BPD posts and chatlogs. I believe the LadyAmbien posts wrapped the whole thing up (lol he basically has an inverse estate), and the GoFundMe is doing solid numbers (goal revised twice already). gently caress help you if you can read all 300+ pages :patriot:

It is.... quite a read, yes. But fun to see old names pop up again, and some get banned for breaking out the slurs.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 15, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Loucks posted:

e: I didn’t come in here to argue with anyone, but there’s real “this is fine” energy from some in here

Who? Be specific. I don't think there's a single actual Biden fan in this entire subforum.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Godholio posted:

Who? Be specific. I don't think there's a single actual Biden fan in this entire subforum.

Even among those of us who voted for him.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the biggest crime Trump committed is that he was unapologetic about the casual cruelty our government inflicts both at home and abroad. right wing policies but a nicer packaging, thats what Biden brought to the table.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the biggest crime Trump committed is that he was unapologetic about the casual cruelty our government inflicts both at home and abroad. right wing policies but a nicer packaging, thats what Biden brought to the table.

Cool, I guess you can vote for Trump again in 24.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Godholio posted:

I'm probably the closest there is to a Biden fan and it's really only a case of greatly preferring him to Trump.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

This song is pretty decent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElnaO3WQkZc

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Also, hell of a time to be in the Guard.

https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1460063812401483776

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I think I might die of irony if they're initially ordered to be deployed unarmed as to not escalate the situation.

I see rifles slung in that picture but it doesn't mean they'll have them on the streets. The guardsmen on the ground in DC didn't.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Out of curiosity has the guard ever been stood up in advance of rioting based on a certain court decision and the dude doesn't walk? Not that people could predict with certainty a jury wouldn't declare a certain verdict, but it seems like an expensive thing to do if you weren't fairly sure

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
There's a curious tendency for those ardent proponents of using the most radical methods in pursuit of goal X to discount (and, frequently, disparage) those that fight for goal X without the same level of extreme rhetoric or action. Often even to the point where it seems defeating less openly radical groups is a higher priority than effecting the change both express a desire to see! This urge to declare and constantly reinforce this oppositional identity is great for feeling like you're part of a select tribe that's incontrovertibly Correct™, but less great for overcoming an actual opposition that is willing and able to build a broader coalition by reconciling or papering over its own internal dissension in pursuit of its ends.

Uhh, current event: it's cold and dark wtf

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Defenestrategy posted:

Out of curiosity has the guard ever been stood up in advance of rioting based on a certain court decision and the dude doesn't walk? Not that people could predict with certainty a jury wouldn't declare a certain verdict, but it seems like an expensive thing to do if you weren't fairly sure

They were staged for Derek Chauvin's verdict.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Defenestrategy posted:

Guard was mobilized for the George Floyd murder case, and Chauvin’s chances were bad, and he was sent to prison.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Cugel the Clever posted:

There's a curious tendency for those ardent proponents of using the most radical methods in pursuit of goal X to discount (and, frequently, disparage) those that fight for goal X without the same level of extreme rhetoric or action. Often even to the point where it seems defeating less openly radical groups is a higher priority than effecting the change both express a desire to see! This urge to declare and constantly reinforce this oppositional identity is great for feeling like you're part of a select tribe that's incontrovertibly Correct™, but less great for overcoming an actual opposition that is willing and able to build a broader coalition by reconciling or papering over its own internal dissension in pursuit of its ends.

It's a little hard to swallow that the Biden administration is much better than Trump's when, for example, their policy on what to do at the border is basically the same thing. We still have over 3,000 Guardsmen on 13 month non-voluntary deployment to the SWB, costing $840 million annually, and the CBP is expanding its facility for processing and removing the people it catches coming across the border.

Obviously counterfactuals are hard to prove, but I think that the Covid Vaccine distribution would have been better under Trump. The vaccine development started while he was in office, and if he was the one pushing for people to get vaccinated so that he could take credit for stopping the spread of Covid, Democrats would take the vaccine anyway and it would remove one of the biggest reasons that conservatives have for not taking the vaccine, i.e. that it's being pushed by Democrats and Joe Biden.

As far as the infrastructure bill goes, it was bi-partisan. No reason to think that Trump would have vetoed it had the Congress passed it with him in the White House.

As it is, the Democrats best hope for 2024 is that Biden is still able to run for office as I don't see Harris being popular enough to go the distance.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

PeterCat posted:

It's a little hard to swallow that the Biden administration is much better than Trump's when, for example, their policy on what to do at the border is basically the same thing. We still have over 3,000 Guardsmen on 13 month non-voluntary deployment to the SWB, costing $840 million annually, and the CBP is expanding its facility for processing and removing the people it catches coming across the border.

Obviously counterfactuals are hard to prove, but I think that the Covid Vaccine distribution would have been better under Trump. The vaccine development started while he was in office, and if he was the one pushing for people to get vaccinated so that he could take credit for stopping the spread of Covid, Democrats would take the vaccine anyway and it would remove one of the biggest reasons that conservatives have for not taking the vaccine, i.e. that it's being pushed by Democrats and Joe Biden.

As far as the infrastructure bill goes, it was bi-partisan. No reason to think that Trump would have vetoed it had the Congress passed it with him in the White House.

As it is, the Democrats best hope for 2024 is that Biden is still able to run for office as I don't see Harris being popular enough to go the distance.

drat look at the big brains on this guy. We heard in 2016 that there was no difference between Clinton and Trump, and here in 2021 abortion is effectively illegal in some red states and the conservative Supreme Court might be neutering the EPA. Two things that definitely would have happened with a Dem president. :bravo:

Don't get me wrong, Biden definitely sucks, but this kind of nonsense is definitely hard to stomach. You're just listing your imagined upsides to a second Trump term? Is this supposed to be ironic or something?

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 15, 2021

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Godholio posted:

I’m not going to go back and quote posts, but there were a few who seemed perfectly satisfied by the current administration. I could also be wrong, as happens regularly. I’m doing my best, but am far from perfect. There definitely doesn’t seem to be enthusiastic support, except maybe from this guy. Maybe. He doesn’t seem brave enough to make an actual point?

Cugel the Clever posted:

I can only assume that “Goal X” is some policy goal shared by the Democratic establishment and people fed up with material conditions never improving, but I honestly have no idea what shared goal would would legitimize this weird appeal toward incrementalism. Also curious what these “radical methods” include, since most of the people clamoring for meaningful goals like medical care, housing, and food would be perfectly happy to see the status quo upset by Congress passing a law.

Anyway, Democrats are not going to save us, Republicans are happy to see us die, so I guess I’ll have a beer.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PeterCat posted:

Obviously counterfactuals are hard to prove, but I think that the Covid Vaccine distribution would have been better under Trump.

Why the gently caress do you expect anyone to take this seriously?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

PeterCat posted:

Trump had four years to pass an infrastructure bill, and didn't. Republicans would have just passed more anti-tax legislation like always.

Also, gonna need some evidence that any of your counterfactuals are other than wishful thinking.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 15, 2021

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Ardlen posted:

Trump had four years to pass an infrastructure bill, and didn't. Republicans would have just passed more anti-tax legislation like always.

Also, gonna need some evidence that any of your counterfactuals are other than wishful thinking.

Democrats are going to pass a $500 billion tax cut if BBB gets passed.

As far as the border situation, I'm getting to see that up close and personal and waste a year of my life.

As far as the vaccine goes, here's Kamala Harris stating she won't take the vaccine if Trump advocated it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKGikIR1a-U

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why the gently caress do you expect anyone to take this seriously?

Operation Warp Speed started under the Trump Administration.

https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-21-319

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PeterCat posted:

Operation Warp Speed started under the Trump Administration.

https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-21-319

That doesn't even come close to answering my question.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Centrists to leftists: it's because of pieces of poo poo like you that we have Trump

Centrists to actual Trump supporters: hey man how's it going. You catch the big game this weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Best Friends posted:

Centrists to leftists: it's because of pieces of poo poo like you that we have Trump

Centrists to actual Trump supporters: hey man how's it going. You catch the big game this weekend?

I think I'd be equally rude to anyone who starts conversations by talking about how things were better under Trump