Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I really want to know how many average Americans even remember, without prompting, that Trump sent out a check. I don't know how you poll for that though, since even asking the question is a reminder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I really want to know how many average Americans even remember, without prompting, that Trump sent out a check. I don't know how you poll for that though, since even asking the question is a reminder.

Yes, people are famously forgetful about getting money from the government via check. Which is why no one ever remembers George W. Bush doing the same thing. Totally forgotten!

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Anyone remember any of the of other jaw dropping focus groups/indepth voter opinion articles that have been done the last few years? It seems like there's been a few, especially since the rise of Trump, that were just straight up :aaaaa:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fame Douglas posted:

Yes, people are famously forgetful about getting money from the government via check. Which is why no one ever remembers George W. Bush doing the same thing. Totally forgotten!

I did forget Dubya sent one out actually lol

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

RBA Starblade posted:

He actually sent out 3.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

If you want people to remember government programs you have to name them something catchy, like Cash For Clunkers.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Lager posted:

If you want people to remember government programs you have to name them something catchy, like Cash For Clunkers.

ooh, we need a jingle

quick, somebody better whip up the BBB version of 1-877-KARS4KIDS

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lager posted:

That's where Bush screwed up. The 2001 Economic Growth and Job Reconciliation Act Rebate, the 2003 Jobs and Growth Reconciliation Tax Rebate Distribution, and the 2008 Emergency Economic Stimulus Payments don't roll off the tongue like Cash for Clunkers or Reagonomics.

Most people probably did forget that he sent 3 series of stimulus checks to Americans (and a bonus 4th round that just went to retirees and veterans).

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Lager posted:

Obamacare, obamaphones.

Thanks Obama.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

Your premise that the American Public's opinions on the bill would be any different if its creation wasn't such a sausage factory process is based on nothing. I have no reason to believe they would be treating it any differently or be any more educated about what's actually in the bill regardless of how much was being cut or what benefits are being negotiated out. I also have no reason to believe they wouldn't cling to their ignorance even while getting those benefits and vote for people to dismantle them even if there hadn't been a single thing cut from its original version.

You should be happy, you're the biggest source of evidence that has made this conclusion obvious. Every day you link a new poll or a new article that just proves how brainless the American population is and how pointless it is to try and win elections based on materially beneficial policy because they only thing they care about is their instinctual feelings and which party's rhetoric panders to those feelings better. Congratulations on convincing me.

id submit that part of the issue at this point is that it has become less "sausage making" and more "butchering a live, screaming horse in public and acting confused about why the vibes are so bad"

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Pobrecito posted:

this entirely ignores reality

What's your point exactly? Of course, industrialized nations have high emissions! Answer me this, are US emissions increasing, decrease or remaining stable?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What's your point exactly? Of course, industrialized nations have high emissions! Answer me this, are US emissions increasing, decrease or remaining stable?

A miniscule drop doesn't matter at all and won't save the planet. The US is doing pretty much nothing and has extremely high emissions per capita compared to other developed nations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fame Douglas posted:

A miniscule drop doesn't matter at all and won't save the planet. The US is doing pretty much nothing and has extremely high emissions per capita compared to other developed nations.

To be fair, the planet doesn't really care about per capita emissions. The U.S. could go to 0 emissions today and it wouldn't save the planet if the other 87% of emissions produced by the world didn't as well. So, if you set the bar at "won't save the planet," then anything short of an enforceable global accord is going to fail that test.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

This isn't true at all, emissions in the United States have been declining over a decade. This isn't minuscule by any use of the word. And of course, our emissions are higher compared to other developed nations because the US is so automobile dependent but thankfully that's beginning to change as well.

Analysis: Why US carbon emissions have fallen 14% since 2005

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
2020 was end times and EVERYONE on all sides was basically on board to throw out some emergency stimulus. Calling it "Trumps Check" like he masterminded the entire thing is a massive stretch.

Biden could send out $5,000 checks to all the whining dipshits and they still would craft a way to fart into their hands and not vote.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rochallor posted:

Gee, I wonder if there was a connection between Trump giving everybody $1800 and him picking up 12 million votes over 2016.

I had mine done via direct deposit, but didn't the $2000 $1400 Biden checks still have Trump's name on them?

23 million more people voted than before, while the Green and Libertarian parties lost several million votes compared to 2016. It was a high-turnout election, affected by several major factors - particularly widespread vote-by-mail. That is why, even though Trump got 12 million votes more than before, he lost by more than double the popular vote margin that he'd won by in 2016.

Besides, a lot of political events happened from 2016 to 2020. Including a loving worldwide pandemic that killed 350k people in 2020, caused massive disruptions to American lifestyles, and sparked an entirely new front of the culture war.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

This isn't true at all, emissions in the United States have been declining over a decade. This isn't minuscule by any use of the word. And of course, our emissions are higher compared to other developed nations because the US is so automobile dependent but thankfully that's beginning to change as well.

Analysis: Why US carbon emissions have fallen 14% since 2005

Yes, and now look at other developed nations and realize their emissions fell by much more than the minuscule amount the US has reduced emissions.

And the US being automobile dependent doesn't seem to be changing at all, investment in public transit is laughable.

Winterion
Jun 20, 2017

Here for the root beer!
:bubblewoop: watch.winterion.com

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

ooh, we need a jingle

quick, somebody better whip up the BBB version of 1-877-KARS4KIDS

People have been put before the ICC at The Hague for less.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

Yes, and now look at other developed nations and realize their emissions fell by much more than the minuscule amount the US has reduced emissions.

The energy challenges bringing US Emissions down by over 10% while increasing energy consumption by any sense of word "miniscule" is not at all accurate. In fact, it's great the US is doing this now because this also puts the Country in a position to distribute renewable and low carbon technology to developing countries.

Fame Douglas posted:

And the US being automobile dependent doesn't seem to be changing at all, investment in public transit is laughable.

It is laughable but Portland, Minneapolis and even Austin are urbanizing even with freaking Los Angeles! Check out their recent updates to changes in zoning. They are literally some parts of the city that have their own separate bike line just like Germany or Amsterdam!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

The energy challenges bringing US Emissions down by over 10% while increasing energy consumption by any sense of word "miniscule" is not at all accurate. In fact, it's great the US is doing this now because this also puts the Country in a position to distribute renewable and low carbon technology to developing countries.

It's literally not impressive at all and way less than other countries have done. Do Americans always need a participation trophy where they get a special award and commendations for doing a bad job?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

It is laughable but Portland, Minneapolis and even Austin are urbanizing even with freaking Los Angeles! Check out their recent updates to changes in zoning. They are literally some parts of the city that have their own separate bike line just like Germany or Amsterdam!

as an aside its really funny to me that the latest subway expansion in LA keeps getting delayed because theyre digging under La Brea and keep having to stop because the project suddenly becomes an archeology site because they found a whole-rear end giant sloth skeleton or something

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Things are progressing as stupidly and slowly as ever but dont give up keep trying!

I actually believe this, just throwing a bone to the younger leftists. Violent reactive action won't save us.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

It's literally not impressive at all and way less than other countries have done. Do Americans always need a special participation trophy where they get a special award and commendations for doing a bad job?

I never said they were impressive I don't think American's should get a participation trophy either. It is however not at all true that the reductions that have taken place in the United States are miniscule.

Which Country are you comparing to the United States?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
God Elon Musk is such a huge poo poo https://twitter.com/tvaziri/status/1459949628741210114?s=21

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
CNN.com's headline story is a piece on how dysfunctional Biden's relationship with Harris is. Wonderful!

I'm sure I've got my own layer of biases to break through, but she's giving off big Selina Meyer vibes here.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/14/politics/kamala-harris-frustrating-start-vice-president/index.html

Fame Douglas posted:

It's literally not impressive at all and way less than other countries have done. Do Americans always need a participation trophy where they get a special award and commendations for doing a bad job?

We really are the biggest bunch of snowflakes.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The CNN story, which is supposed to be sympathetic to Harris, makes Selena Meyer look like a political genius in comparison.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

ooh, we need a jingle

quick, somebody better whip up the BBB version of 1-877-METH4KIDS

Ftfy

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Eric Cantonese posted:

CNN.com's headline story is a piece on how dysfunctional Biden's relationship with Harris is. Wonderful!

I'm sure I've got my own layer of biases to break through, but she's giving off big Selina Meyer vibes here.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/14/politics/kamala-harris-frustrating-start-vice-president/index.html

We really are the biggest bunch of snowflakes.

It's a shame we're probably stuck with Harris as VP for Biden's 2024 re-election campaign as well. Some new blood in the VP spot could really help reinvigorate perception of the Dems in 2024 and (hopefully) the second leg of Biden's administration and also give people the notion that the Dems were thinking seriously about 2028.

Maybe someone who could do what Sarah Palin did for McCain or someone like Obama after his 2004 DNC speech (e: no not him, no CIA allowed) or really, anyone that's a good orator, has solid media training, and is good on the issues.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 15, 2021

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

What's funny is that Bernie most definitely lives rent free in Musk's mind.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

-Blackadder- posted:

It's a shame we're probably stuck with Harris as VP for Biden's 2024 re-election campaign as well. Some new blood in the VP spot could really help reinvigorate perception of the Dems in 2024 and (hopefully) the second leg of Biden's administration and also give people the notion that the Dems were thinking seriously about 2028.

Like what Sarah Palin did for McCain or someone like Obama after his 2004 DNC speech or really, anyone that's a good orator, has solid media training, and is good on the issues.

Yes. Imagine the zest a Pete Buttegeig VP nom would bring to the ticket. :geno:

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Gatts posted:

Yes. Imagine the zest a Pete Buttegeig VP nom would bring to the ticket. :geno:
Hmm, he seems like kind of the opposite of the type of VP nom that would excite people like Palin and 2004 Obama did.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

isnt Musk a foreign national? like he should really shut the gently caress up about US pol/news imo.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Everyone loves a zesty butt

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Palin is a loving moron and led directly to the Trump Fascist Fundy Deplorables

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

PhazonLink posted:

isnt Musk a foreign national? like he should really shut the gently caress up about US pol/news imo.

I regret to inform you he is an American citizen.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

I mean he lives here and he makes all his money here, that part isn't weird

He's a monstrous piece of poo poo and I'd be banned if I posted what I thought he deserved for his many crimes, but treating Bernie Sanders with disdain is totally understandable. Sanders isn't gonna do poo poo about Musk, he's just whining ineffectually(or his social media intern is, in this case) as usual and it is extremely cringe

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
drat so we cant send him back to his parent's African gem mine? oh and refill and bury him in the deepest part?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Bizarro Watt posted:

What's funny is that Bernie most definitely lives rent free in Musk's mind.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1460051518124699650

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1460044780549910532

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1459997838679629830

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1459904966194253824

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

RBA Starblade posted:

Same, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I mean he lives here and he makes all his money here, that part isn't weird

He's a monstrous piece of poo poo and I'd be banned if I posted what I thought he deserved for his many crimes, but treating Bernie Sanders with disdain is totally understandable. Sanders isn't gonna do poo poo about Musk, he's just whining ineffectually(or his social media intern is, in this case) as usual and it is extremely cringe

Love your energy but what's the justification on hating on Bernie? There's been good posts about the necessity of the kind of social policies he CONSTANTLY CONSISTENTLY talks about, and it bridges the gaps in what will help the masses.