Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

JazzFlight posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nostalgixtcg/nostalgix-trading-card-game
$480,490
544 backers
48 days to go (super long campaign)

LOL, another TCG Kickstarter that raises a bazillion dollars with very few backers. What the gently caress is going on? Is this the KS equivalent of NFTs?

Up to $510k and 643 backers in the 1.5 hours since you posted.

What's the big deal!? That's not even an average of $1000 per backer! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It wouldn’t surprise me at all if some of these are thinly veiled money laundering schemes. Doubly so if crypto turds are involved.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if some of these are thinly veiled money laundering schemes. Doubly so if crypto turds are involved.

Since no cash is involved I'm not sure how money laundering comes into this.

Far simpler explanation is that this is probably just MTG nerds who feel like they could be millionaires right now if only they had held on to their collections trying to relive that possibility. I kind of get it though since I would also be a MTG millionaire right now if I hadn't sold my collection to pay for my student loans.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Bottom Liner posted:

Frequent scams and people with ideas with no capability to deliver, sure, but probably not money laundering

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

There's gotta be a forum somewhere where the people that buy into these are congregating and talking about them. Otherwise they're too small and too quiet to just be zeitgeist moments. Someone is whale hunting somewhere.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the idea goes something like "use money you need to launder to pay into kickstarter, then when the project funds kickstarter sends you a new set of presumably clean funds minus their cut." That's on the project creator end, as for the people buying into it yeah, a lot of it is probably just big bubble speculation and wishful thinking.

I guess where the "money laundering" idea falls apart is that these projects do seem to deliver actual "games" of some sort, but given how lovely they all look I'm not sure how much it's costing them.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just a Totally Normal Kickstater by people doing Legitimate Business

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kai Tave posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the idea goes something like "use money you need to launder to pay into kickstarter, then when the project funds kickstarter sends you a new set of presumably clean funds minus their cut." That's on the project creator end, as for the people buying into it yeah, a lot of it is probably just big bubble speculation and wishful thinking.

I guess where the "money laundering" idea falls apart is that these projects do seem to deliver actual "games" of some sort, but given how lovely they all look I'm not sure how much it's costing them.

I thought Kickstarter did do some due diligence on funds coming in, though. It's not like you can pledge to a Kickstarter with cash or iTunes credits, right?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

theironjef posted:

There's gotta be a forum somewhere where the people that buy into these are congregating and talking about them. Otherwise they're too small and too quiet to just be zeitgeist moments. Someone is whale hunting somewhere.

r/MTGFinance is the subreddit for people reselling magic cards and hoarding sealed boxes, but I don't frequent it enough to know if they talk about other card games & kickstarters.

It definitely wouldn't surprise me if there's something shady going on, but at the same time, there totally are people out there willing to drop thousands on the gamble that these cards will be worth something in a few years. But, just searching KS for TCG shows several other games with next to no funding, so it's not like "TCG" is just a wild goldmine right now... I did stumble across some guy making a Yu-Gi-Oh knockoff that's surprisingly well funded: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chaosensuming/chaos-ensuming-tcg/description

I know this is personal preference, but I would never want to play card games with art that looks like it was drawn with colored pencils. It just reminds me too much of custom Pokemon cards.

Edit: looking at that dude's pledges, there's no way he should have $10K with only 42 backers. The highest tier is a 1 slot pledge for $400... There is something fishy going on.

Edit2: there are 2 backers that have left comments on both campaigns, "Ghost This" and "Seth H." They're advertising a Discord group that seems to be half personal chat room, and half filled with bots cross-promoting other discords and services.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 15, 2021

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
If it is a laundering scheme theres also an upside of cashing in on any suckers that buy in that aren't part of the scam
Might offset a lot of the loss from fees

Actually that could even be the scam - generate interest for a worthless product with fake buyers and sell it to the unknowing for a quick buck (this only makes sense if the fees are less than the money made from real buyers though)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Real product for the suckers, pallets of mostly-empty boxes for the scammier megaholders, then do a quick print run if they can pump the value up enough to make selling the "sealed product" worthwhile?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

brb launching the Give Infinitum Money And He Will Mail You An Envelope KS.

Does exactly what it says on the box

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Speaking of poo poo

Rock Paper Scissors Deluxe failed to fund
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thedragonstomb/rock-paper-scissors-deluxe-edition/description

Oh no

What a shame

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Infinitum posted:

Speaking of poo poo

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thedragonstomb/rock-paper-scissors-deluxe-edition/description

Oh no

What a shame

drat. I'm sad they didn't make it. Dragon's tomb is a top tier shitposter

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 15, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Infinitum posted:

Speaking of poo poo

Oh no

What a shame
I mean, it was funny, but who would actually buy it?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I could see picking that up as a gag gift for someone, but I would never pledge for that on KS for myself.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Nemesis of Moles already did that!!!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

theironjef posted:

There's a Nostalgix Patreon where the chief reward is "prototype" cards and merch. (If you're selling thousands of them this way and making $50K a month--and they are--I'd debate the "prototype" bit.) They've been building an audience of speculators for months, clearly.

Complete with stuffing misprints into packs so maybe you will be one of the seven to get Golden Lucky Frog holo with an upside-down back!

TCGs are investment scams and gambling, and shouldn't be viewed any other way. If you're very lucky, there's a good game involved as a side element, but the whole marketing gimmick is ethically dubious at best and exploits the vulnerable.

That's not to say the creators are wholly cynical scammers; they might really believe in what they're doing. But the outcome is identical.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There's a Nostalgix Patreon where the chief reward is "prototype" cards and merch. (If you're selling thousands of them this way and making $50K a month--and they are--I'd debate the "prototype" bit.) They've been building an audience of speculators for months, clearly.

Complete with stuffing misprints into packs so maybe you will be one of the seven to get Golden Lucky Frog holo with an upside-down back!

TCGs are investment scams and gambling, and shouldn't be viewed any other way. If you're very lucky, there's a good game involved as a side element, but the whole marketing gimmick is ethically dubious at best and exploits the vulnerable.

That's not to say the creators are wholly cynical scammers; they might really believe in what they're doing. But the outcome is identical.

so exactly like crypto

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

I'm no expert on money laundering, but I imagine you could use it for this. Give 100 people $100 each, in cash. Have them deposit the $90 to a bank, into their own account. $90 is a fair bit of money, but it probably won't raise alarm at the bank. Then each of those 100 people back your Kickstarter for $90 each. When the campaign finishes, Kickstarter takes their 10% and you're left with $81,000. Spend maybe $1,000 on development of something crappy to have a record of work done for the money you got from the Kickstarter. You're left with $80,000 as legit income.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

LatwPIAT posted:

I'm no expert on money laundering, but I imagine you could use it for this. Give 100 people $100 each, in cash. Have them deposit the $90 to a bank, into their own account. $90 is a fair bit of money, but it probably won't raise alarm at the bank. Then each of those 100 people back your Kickstarter for $90 each. When the campaign finishes, Kickstarter takes their 10% and you're left with $81,000. Spend maybe $1,000 on development of something crappy to have a record of work done for the money you got from the Kickstarter. You're left with $80,000 as legit income.

100 x 100 = 10,000

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

They said they weren't an expert!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
People aren't free. Large organised networks of people with legit-enough bank accounts are less so.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

theironjef posted:

They said they weren't an expert!

They convinced a lot of other people it's a good product!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Infinitum posted:

FirstAidKite posted:

Nemesis of Moles already did that!!!

So did somebody else!

potatocubed posted:

This sounds absolutely fascinating and has three days left.

Remember August is a game where the creator will spend a month writing you letters -- real letters if you're in the US and you're willing to fork out for them -- and between them and your own work you'll create a unique memento/art object/thing.

It's inspired by This Is How You Lose The Time War and other things I've not heard of, but I'm absolutely sold.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Infinitum posted:

Just a Totally Normal Kickstater by people doing Legitimate Business

I mean, this product sucks and is probably another lovely TCG grift, but this is pretty much what kickstarters look like now. You put out a bunch of ads about how you're "coming soon to kickstarter" and start a mailing list and whatnot, and then on launch day, a whole bunch of people have already mentally committed to backing you and sign up on day one.

Especially if you have any "Early Bird" pledges where you get the same thing as everyone else, but for like a $10 discount if you do it on the first day or two.

Then, you can change your entire kickstarter campaign strategy to "funded on day 1" or "funded in 6 hours!" and obviously if you raised that much money, it must be good, right?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

armorer posted:

100 x 100 = 10,000

That is very embarrassing. :shobon:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/corvusbelli/infinity-deathmatch-tag-raid

Infinity universe-based boardgame TAGRAID is in its final 48 hours. Probably not super interesting unless you're already an Infinity player but maybe you've been waiting for a game where bipedal mining robots beat the poo poo out of each other and giant monsters.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

:blastu:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rollthedicegames/the-dungeon-master-deck:blastu:

My KS is live, feedback has been great and hitting almost 100 followers before launch felt pretty good.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ughhhhh, the Blacklist Games Kickstarters all had a copy-paste style update citing vague delays and everyone feels like it's because the company is out of money...
That would be Blacklist Miniatures Series 1&2, Hour of Need, Dire Alliance, plus Contra, Buddy Cop, and the Street Masters reprint.

Here's just the update for Blacklist Miniatures Series 1:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklistgames/blacklist-miniatures-fantasy-series-1/posts/3362241

Fuuuuuuck, I have a lot tied up in their unfulfilled games so this would be a big blow.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 17, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

Ughhhhh, the Blacklist Games Kickstarters all had a copy-paste style update citing vague delays and everyone feels like it's because the company is out of money...
That would be Blacklist Miniatures Series 1&2, Hour of Need, Dire Alliance, plus Contra, Buddy Cop, and the Street Masters reprint.

Here's just the update for Blacklist Miniatures Series 1:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklistgames/blacklist-miniatures-fantasy-series-1/posts/3362241

Fuuuuuuck, I have a lot tied up in their unfulfilled games so this would be a big blow.

what's going on there? They have had a lot of very successful campaigns but seemingly bad fulfillment? Compounding issues from that?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Bottom Liner posted:

what's going on there? They have had a lot of very successful campaigns but seemingly bad fulfillment? Compounding issues from that?
This could be nothing, but it feels like they got backed up in number of unfulfilled campaigns over time and started down the road of using the money from the next one to fund the previous one.
Add in COVID and the shipping cost spike this year and they might have lost enough funds to finish fulfillment.

Another problem is that their recent bloodbowl-style campaign Myth & Goal didn't fund, so that cut off a revenue stream and the 3 head guys aren't in the comments answering questions right now while the backers go crazy.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

:blastu:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rollthedicegames/the-dungeon-master-deck:blastu:

My KS is live, feedback has been great and hitting almost 100 followers before launch felt pretty good.

I see Goon project, I back Goon project.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

rydiafan posted:

I see Goon project, I back Goon project.

thanks (and to the other goon's names I recognize)! Didn't expect to be nearing 50% funded in 9 hours but let's goooo :woop:

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

JazzFlight posted:

This could be nothing, but it feels like they got backed up in number of unfulfilled campaigns over time and started down the road of using the money from the next one to fund the previous one.
Add in COVID and the shipping cost spike this year and they might have lost enough funds to finish fulfillment.

Another problem is that their recent bloodbowl-style campaign Myth & Goal didn't fund, so that cut off a revenue stream and the 3 head guys aren't in the comments answering questions right now while the backers go crazy.

Woof. Brady just answered tersely in one of the comments and, yeah, I think it looks pretty bad. Given that Adam, Brady, and Scottie, despite being the only listed officers for Blacklist on its webpage, no longer have Blacklist mentioned on their Twitter bios and... yeah, I think the writing is on the wall and they just can't say it one way or the other for legal reasons. Sucks that I've basically thrown money away on the IndieGoGo for the Street Masters expansion, but I imagine it'll drive some of their most loyal fans absolutely nuts if they backed 3 or 4 projects in good faith and now won't get any of them...

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Another quick creator update on Blacklist from their Blacklist Games account. Man, I'm pulling for them - this situation sucks all around.

"@Bob, Adam, Brady, and Scottie are employees of Blacklist Games. Though we all are passionate in the company, attacking them, their personal lives or as already a few people have done and harassed their family is inappropriate. The company is dealing with issues, some monetary and some not, but we are not scamming people as we have produced everything and we painstakingly got them to the warehouses amidst the global shipping crises/covid/brexit and whatever real world challenge we were presented. We're at the final stretch and have already fulfilled to all regions except US and CA and we don't intend to just stop and not deliver them. That makes no sense. Still, this is a very unsatisfactory position we've put you in based on your expectations, and the only real solution is to get the products from the warehouse to backers. We completely understand how this looks for the company's rep but at this point the ONLY thing that matters is getting backers their items. That's it. So whatever we need to do until then, the company as a whole is working on it because that is the priority while we continue to run the company. Once again, Adam, Brady, and Scottie as designers and marketing respectively are at the end of the day, employees with their own lives outside of Blacklist Games. While at work, they dedicate their work/efforts, heart, and souls into the company with us. Any personal attack on them and their family is not ok in any way, no matter how angry you are at not getting your items now or our message, and I ask people who have already gone that route to stop. Once again, our goal is to get you your products in any way, at the shortest amount of time."

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Memnaelar posted:

Another quick creator update on Blacklist from their Blacklist Games account. Man, I'm pulling for them - this situation sucks all around.

"@Bob, Adam, Brady, and Scottie are employees of Blacklist Games. Though we all are passionate in the company, attacking them, their personal lives or as already a few people have done and harassed their family is inappropriate. The company is dealing with issues, some monetary and some not, but we are not scamming people as we have produced everything and we painstakingly got them to the warehouses amidst the global shipping crises/covid/brexit and whatever real world challenge we were presented. We're at the final stretch and have already fulfilled to all regions except US and CA and we don't intend to just stop and not deliver them. That makes no sense. Still, this is a very unsatisfactory position we've put you in based on your expectations, and the only real solution is to get the products from the warehouse to backers. We completely understand how this looks for the company's rep but at this point the ONLY thing that matters is getting backers their items. That's it. So whatever we need to do until then, the company as a whole is working on it because that is the priority while we continue to run the company. Once again, Adam, Brady, and Scottie as designers and marketing respectively are at the end of the day, employees with their own lives outside of Blacklist Games. While at work, they dedicate their work/efforts, heart, and souls into the company with us. Any personal attack on them and their family is not ok in any way, no matter how angry you are at not getting your items now or our message, and I ask people who have already gone that route to stop. Once again, our goal is to get you your products in any way, at the shortest amount of time."
I still don't think anyone other than those 3 guys work at Blacklist Games. Right? No one's listed on the website and I haven't really seen anyone else mentioned or on camera.
This is like a freakin' Wizard of Oz situation. Even if it's true that they're only designers, they should be on the phone with their company right now because their names are getting dragged through the mud.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

JazzFlight posted:

I still don't think anyone other than those 3 guys work at Blacklist Games. Right? No one's listed on the website and I haven't really seen anyone else mentioned or on camera.
This is like a freakin' Wizard of Oz situation. Even if it's true that they're only designers, they should be on the phone with their company right now because their names are getting dragged through the mud.

Nah, there's a guy called Alex Lin if you google-fu deep enough who, I think, is their project manager and probably the unnamed lead of the company. I would bet dollars to donuts he's the one posting for Blacklist right now.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BTW, another insane TCG just dropped:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/weebs/grand-archive-tcg
$527,000
461 backers
45 day (long) campaign

I really don't get it. Maybe all these TCGs grab the exact same backers dropping the exact same amounts of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

BTW, another insane TCG just dropped:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/weebs/grand-archive-tcg
$527,000
461 backers
45 day (long) campaign

I really don't get it. Maybe all these TCGs grab the exact same backers dropping the exact same amounts of money.

How dare you suggest a company named “Weebs of the Shore” is up to something less than proper

EDIT: super bonkers how much you can raise without a rulebook and just one tutorial video.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 17, 2021