Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Ah, this is awkward, so, like, this is already occurring just in a different form. But if I speak I will be in big trouble, big trouble, and I don't want to be in big trouble so really I prefer not to speak.
the "let's go, Brandon" of vaccine hysteria

e: for anyone who doesn't read the epstein thread, PMJ is alluding to the idea presented there (by PMJ, only) that vaccines are causing lots of heart attacks in young people which is somehow being covered up and this is by design because it's a population control device. Just to make it real clear what we're talking about here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

i hope all the aspiring foragers out there pivot from hunting deer to eating a more readily available treat -- trees!

this is a pro-tip Finns and indigenous cultures already know, but eating tree nuts is for little baby chumps. the tasty inner bark is where serious players feast on starches and delicious vitamin C.

now i know what you're going to say, "hey buddy aren't all the trees dying?" and i'd reply, "gently caress you friend, pretty much, but garbage trees like poplar (cottonwood) seem to be thriving and they are uh nominally edible," and then we'd both sit down together for a warm bowl of frankly disgusting poplar tree mush garnished with rose-hips and rabbit poops.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/WaitingOnBiden/status/1459966885533999109?t=vD6oMGBzTlz1DiCa_OpgLQ&s=19

trust the science!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Mostly everyone here is precisely the demographic for this highly sophisticated (in terms of propaganda/ consent making) program. There is a prophylactic, a simple acknowledgment of ruling class barbarism. But if Libya, Yemen, Afghanistan, Syria, Palestine don't strike fear in your heart I can't help you. You think your Whiteness will protect you, you are mistaken.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Gravid Topiary posted:

i hope all the aspiring foragers out there pivot from hunting deer to eating a more readily available treat -- trees!

this is a pro-tip Finns and indigenous cultures already know, but eating tree nuts is for little baby chumps. the tasty inner bark is where serious players feast on starches and delicious vitamin C.

now i know what you're going to say, "hey buddy aren't all the trees dying?" and i'd reply, "gently caress you friend, pretty much, but garbage trees like poplar (cottonwood) seem to be thriving and they are uh nominally edible," and then we'd both sit down together for a warm bowl of frankly disgusting poplar tree mush garnished with rose-hips and rabbit poops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW7Bn5lFT0U

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

holy poo poo what a loving idiot

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

drat, looks like 2024 will be the most important election of our lives

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Koirhor posted:

holy poo poo what a loving idiot

Ok but hear me out, he's also really hot

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I will teach him how to eat cattail rhizomes, I can fix him

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the United States government is not a monolith. mods, punish this willfully ignorant Russian agent.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
my xi-bucks can withstand your most fearsome bans

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

i'll be a russian agent why not

basically for free too just hit me up

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

if the earth looks like that when it gets better maybe it’s all for the best

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

TRUST VIOLENCE

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

his hands are tied!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/4o4n0t/status/1460038536586047494?t=DOjJ5lrDvv9RpP0CK5Jtdw&s=19

A Good Reply

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Decades posted:

I was arguing with someone the other day who swore 121F in Canada is not that bad yet because he remembers it reaching 120 when he was growing up in Alaska.

Alaska's all time high is 100F.

This poo poo happens all the loving time. I swear I've had to tell people "no, this temperature is actually a record by a pretty wide margin" or "no, we only hit this temperature like once every few years and never for several days at a time" multiple times over the last two years. And then I always get some variation of "well, I don't know" after and it's like what's even the point, you all are going to watch the sun light trees on fire in November and decide it's always been that way.

I can't even tell how much is normalization and how much is cope.

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
personally, i think that insect's rise to "intelligence" and "sapience" will be relatively quick, but long lived. i have nothing to base that off of, but there's so much insect to roll the evolutionary dice that something long staying will bound to be picked up and maybe just maybe a hive minded sapient insect kind will rise up and just skip the cancer/capitalism altogether

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Paradoxish posted:

This poo poo happens all the loving time. I swear I've had to tell people "no, this temperature is actually a record by a pretty wide margin" or "no, we only hit this temperature like once every few years and never for several days at a time" multiple times over the last two years. And then I always get some variation of "well, I don't know" after and it's like what's even the point, you all are going to watch the sun light trees on fire in November and decide it's always been that way.

I can't even tell how much is normalization and how much is cope.

this is normalcy bias

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

That Spooky Witch posted:

personally, i think that insect's rise to "intelligence" and "sapience" will be relatively quick, but long lived. i have nothing to base that off of, but there's so much insect to roll the evolutionary dice that something long staying will bound to be picked up and maybe just maybe a hive minded sapient insect kind will rise up and just skip the cancer/capitalism altogether

Insects oxygenate their blood using organs that don't work at the scale required to provide enough oxygen to a larger brain.

Because of this at best insects will develop the intelligence of a succlib centrist.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/egypt-storm-floods-scorpions-b1957153.html

well this isn't an outcome i foresaw but it's an interesting intersection of flooding + plague of insects.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1460159146720997377

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

https://twitter.com/giang_dasher/status/1460162944440832004?s=20

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
gun.img

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

quote:

Under the Glasgow climate pact:

* Countries were asked to republish their climate action plans by the end of next year, with more ambitious emissions reduction targets for 2030

* There is an emphasis on the need for developed countries to increase the money they give to those already suffering the effects of climate change - beyond the current $100bn annual target

* The language about coal has been included for the first time ever in a global climate deal

* A pledge in a previous draft to "phase out" coal was instead watered down to a commitment to "phase down" coal

*dusts hands* it's done, the earth is saved, gj everyone

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

*dusts hands* it's done, the earth is saved, gj everyone

Lol

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Mission Accomplished!

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Why would we "phase out" coal when China's not even attending the meeting, Jack? What, are we going to just let them or the USSR take over our prominence on the world stage? I wonder if they'll let me have the banana pudding with the Cool Whip or if they'll make me have it with Cool Whip instead.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

COP was a great success, we've all agreed to save the environment by phasing out human civilization

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
why not at this point
https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1460218305499828226

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Natural gas can easily be more damaging to the climate than coal depending on how it is extracted. I wonder why there isn't a global agreement to end methane fracking?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

i used to make fun of the humidex before i experienced >40C humidex

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Yeah, humidity is nothing to gently caress around with. When it's both hot and humid here you can feel like you're swimming through the air, you sweat the second you go outside and even breathing is more difficult. A dry heat and a wet heat are drastically different

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
it's not the heat, it's the humidity that gets ya

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Yeah but it's a dry humidity

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Ardennes posted:

Natural gas can easily be more damaging to the climate than coal depending on how it is extracted. I wonder why there isn't a global agreement to end methane fracking?

Rhetorical question I guess, but yeah: Rich countries use more oil and gas, poor countries use more coal. Since poor countries have less leverage, the agreement landed on phasing out coal. India's mix is 70% the latter, so they objected and became a useful bad guy/scapegoat for the media.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yeah but it's a dry humidity

"Oh you're having trouble breathing? Real novel. Wow, let's get this guy a cigar! On second thought, let's not."

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

RIP Syndrome posted:

Rhetorical question I guess, but yeah: Rich countries use more oil and gas, poor countries use more coal. Since poor countries have less leverage, the agreement landed on phasing out coal. India's mix is 70% the latter, so they objected and became a useful bad guy/scapegoat for the media.

The US specifically the issue because our move from coal to natural gas has at least been heavily supplied through domestic fracking and has claimed this as carbon reduction as a large of the Paris accords (since NG does give off less Co2 than coal).

In reality, US fracking is specifically notorious for methane admissions, enough that the expansion of fracking in the mid-2010s under Obama lines up on a yearly basis with the global rise of methane emissions. This is obviously a massive issue because of how much of an effect methane has on climate change (up to 40-80x that of CO2). It is also why developing countries like India (China to a lesser extent because they are moving away from coal fairly quickly) are loath to give up their access to affordable electricity while the US keeps on spewing methane into the atmosphere. It is also why we are absolutely doomed if the US fracking industry just keeps on doing its thing.

(China is making a huge push toward nuclear power, while India knows they are going to at least need coal for another few decades because they simply don't have the capital yet for a comparable push. That said, India has made a huge push in solar/wind.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:12 on Nov 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

"please republish" :laffo: