Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Solemn Sloth posted:

Congrats Australia, you’ve helped fossil fuel companies derail Glasgow. Anyone who votes Liberal should be driven into the sea.

Im willing to help drive hambeet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

Congrats Australia, you’ve helped fossil fuel companies derail Glasgow. Anyone who votes Liberal should be driven into the sea.

Surely throwing trash into the sea is a bad reaction to an environmental conference?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

Thanks to rampant climate change and melting ice caps there's probably no need to bother as soon enough the sea will be coming to get them on its own accord.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/joshburnsmp/status/1459433840087207938

wild times on the streets

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got caught out in the middle of all that and there was a sickening amount of assholes just bringing their toddlers and youngsters along

I was just going to just try and bear it but had a big yell at an old loving white dude trying to tell me, an asian lady, how he's basically the hero of Tianmen standing in front of dandrew's tanks while I was trying to catch a train.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

I got caught out in the middle of all that and there was a sickening amount of assholes just bringing their toddlers and youngsters along

I was just going to just try and bear it but had a big yell at an old loving white dude trying to tell me, an asian lady, how he's basically the hero of Tianmen standing in front of dandrew's tanks while I was trying to catch a train.

Probably had no effect on the average IQ of those in attendance

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Certainly an interesting modern take on an ancient phenomenon. I wonder how many people in the French revolution were just happily tralalaling along with the crowd and then when heads started to roll just freaked out 'Oh my gosh, they're killing people, I just thought this huge blade thing we set up was to make a point!' Then a month later when their heads got cut off they were rightfully confused and pissed off.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is again a straight xeroxed copy of what US protesters do.

I am always surprised at how much of this sort of cargo-cult aping of US political memes/tropes seems to work over here.

Is it a recent thing? I know ScoMo and his government have been taking crib notes from US religious right conservatives. But I seem to remember the Australian brand of right-wing nutbaggery having a different flavour to the US version in years past. Although I could be misremembering.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Back when email forwards were a thing our versions of it were very clearly copy pasted with very little attention to the necessary things that needed changing and they weren't exactly obscure but I don't think it was quite this commonplace 25 years ago. Before that we'll need a thread senior go tell us

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Our drongo/deadshit population has become more American over time. Even our nouveau-cobbers are watching NFL.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I work for the AEC at a voting station during election periods and I'm wondering how many batshit insaneos are likely to come out of the woodwork this go-round. last fed election some guy wearing a top hat showed up to call us all "cryptofascists" before politely entering the booth and presumably casting a ballot. aside from grumbling about it being mandatory and lines in the morning that was it. sort of expecting the worst this time round

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

JBP posted:

Our drongo/deadshit population has become more American over time. Even our nouveau-cobbers are watching NFL.

My boss keeps having a dig at me because I pronounce aluminum the American way. hosed if I know how that happened.

E: \/\/\/ :negative:

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 14, 2021

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Eediot Jedi posted:

My boss keeps having a dig at me because I pronounce aluminum the American way. hosed if I know how that happened.

You did it again

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
American English is literally their only worthwhile contribution to Anglo culture and you can't convince me it's comparable to something as profoundly brain damaged as watching NFL

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Back when email forwards were a thing our versions of it were very clearly copy pasted with very little attention to the necessary things that needed changing and they weren't exactly obscure but I don't think it was quite this commonplace 25 years ago. Before that we'll need a thread senior go tell us

My dad still multi-fwds me insane chain emails about computer viruses that don't exist any more and other boomer bait poo poo in preparation for the next family dinner where My brother and I have to tag team him with actual facts and data instead of bonding as a family. How good.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Here's a good rundown of the chuds behind yesterday's Melbourne bullshit:

https://twitter.com/WhiteRoseSocAU/status/1459737465011380227

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Honestly curious what the leftist anti-vaxxers are doing during this. Like we seem to have more then other countries for some bullshit reason, but are they like joining these marches?

Like I travel in pretty hippy'ish circles sometimes so well aware of BS "health advice" some follow, but I really hope were not seeing many of those type full into this crap.

we probably are. :(

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

dr_rat posted:

Honestly curious what the leftist anti-vaxxers are doing during this. Like we seem to have more then other countries for some bullshit reason, but are they like joining these marches?

Like I travel in pretty hippy'ish circles sometimes so well aware of BS "health advice" some follow, but I really hope were not seeing many of those type full into this crap.

idk about marches but I’m pretty sure crystal healing green voters were behind that dumb as dogshit stuff in the Fitzroy school

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Those nooses aren't far away, they're really really small, you couldn't hang a loving chihuahua on that thing. Check out the size of the hand that's holding it. It's all just dumb posturing.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hooman posted:

It's all just dumb posturing.

that's like a solid 90% of being a right wing psycho

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

hooman posted:

Those nooses aren't far away, they're really really small, you couldn't hang a loving chihuahua on that thing. Check out the size of the hand that's holding it. It's all just dumb posturing.

I don’t think people are upset based on whether this specific gallows could actually hang Daniel andrews (especially given it looks like it’s held together with a $2 bracket from Bunnings), but the symbolism of hanging MPs isn’t cool (unless it’s the ones I disagree with)

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Centusin posted:

Scomo's daggy dad thing is literally exactly what Mike Baird did when he was NSW premier. Baird ended up with young fans because of it until he alienated them all with the lockout laws.

Oh yeah for sure, Mike Baird tried to target millennials by live tweeting Bachelor with his daughters. Even Abbott tried to tick the box with the daughters angle - however I always thought it was more creepy in a father holding onto their virginity sorta sense.

Scott is totally just going for the Kmart hacks audience of Karens with religious prejudices, he does something DIY like cooking or building and people go ape poo poo over it. Check any of his posts on Facebook, he’s like some sort of cult of personality - everyone loves him. Being the family man PM is popular with a specific audience voters.

Edit; New Idea probably runs stories like - Helpful Hubby PM ScoMo delights with his chicken korma dinner treats

woofbro fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 15, 2021

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Big Frank Grimes vibes in here

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

dr_rat posted:

Anti-vaxx hippies are naturally anti-gov and a lot of the time they're also really isolated.

some people just can't handle being told what to do but they really REALLY like telling other people what to do, and that's how you get fascists.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The ABC chair, Ita Buttrose, has accused the Morrison government of political interference and attempting to intimidate the public broadcaster after the Senate established an inquiry into the ABC’s complaints handling process.

Buttrose, in a blistering statement, called on the upper house to act to “defend the independence of the ABC” by passing a motion to terminate or suspend the government inquiry until an independent process commissioned by the ABC Board last month has been completed.

The government inquiry was announced last week after the ABC’s complaints division told Fox News it had not upheld any of the complaints made in a lengthy submission about a Four Corners program on Fox News aired in August.

“This is an act of political interference designed to intimidate the ABC and mute its role as this country’s most trusted source of public interest journalism,” Buttrose said in a statement on Sunday.

“Any incursion of this kind into the ABC’s independence should be seen by Australians for what it is: an attempt to weaken the community’s trust in the public broadcaster.

“If politicians determine the operation of the national broadcaster’s complaints system, they can influence what is reported by the ABC.”

The Labor opposition criticised the “wasteful and duplicative inquiry” as “yet another attempt at political interference from this government”.

“Meanwhile, the Morrison-Joyce government has overseen funding cuts to the ABC, misled the public about these cuts, attacked the ABC board in response to a Four Corners investigation, and failed to act on the recommendations of two inquiries into press freedom in the wake of AFP raids on journalists at the ABC and News,” Labor’s communications spokesperson, Michelle Rowland, said.

In her strongest statement as chair, Buttrose said the inquiry, set up by Liberal senator Andrew Bragg on Thursday, “appears to be a blatant attempt to usurp the role of the ABC board and undermine the operational independence of the ABC”.

“As senator Bragg is aware, in October the ABC Board initiated an independent review of the ABC’s complaints system by two eminent experts, Prof John McMillan, former commonwealth and NSW ombudsman and Jim Carroll, former SBS director – news and current affairs. The terms of reference for the review are comprehensive and wide-ranging.”

Buttrose said the power to develop codes of practice for the ABC lay with the board, not the government, and that was a key pillar of the ABC’s editorial independence.

Bragg announced the inquiry into the complaints handling arrangements of the ABC and SBS three weeks after the ABC established an external review and after he had been interviewed by reviewers about his concerns.

“Instead of respecting the integrity of this process, the Senate committee under the leadership of senator Bragg has decided to initiate a parallel process,” Buttrose said.

“I will leave it to senator Bragg to explain his motives, but the impact of this action is clear. As chair of the ABC board I am duty-bound to call out any action that seeks to undermine the independence of the national broadcaster.

“A fundamental democratic principle underpinning the ABC has been its independence from interference by those motivated by political outcomes.

“Politicians, like all citizens, are welcome to criticise anything they find wrong or objectionable that is published by the ABC, but they cannot be allowed to tell the ABC what it may or may not say.

“Transparency and accountability are important, and the Senate committee performs a vital role. The ABC attends Senate estimates hearings on multiple occasions every year and answers hundreds of questions on notice.”

It is the second time in 12 months the ABC has accused the Morrison government of political interference.

In December 2020, Buttrose accused the government of a pattern of behaviour which “smacks of political interference” and earlier warned of an escalating campaign targeting the public broadcaster. She labelled claims it pushed agendas and campaigns against free enterprise as “malicious garbage”.

She also threw her support behind a media freedom act and declared 2019’s Australian federal police raids “clearly designed to intimidate”.

Buttrose accused the Morrison government of using News Corp Australia to attack its journalism last year after the Australian was briefed about a series of government questions for the broadcaster before the ABC received them.

After Four Corners spoke to former Fox News insiders who claimed the right-wing channel became a propaganda outlet for the former president under the watch of Rupert Murdoch himself, News Corp went on the offensive, publishing 45 articles attacking the public broadcaster in two days.

“The episode clearly violates the basic tenets of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s published standards by exhibiting bias and a failure to maintain any level of impartiality in the presentation of news and information,” a Fox News spokesperson said at the time.

Bragg told Sky News Australia the ABC complaints system was akin to a kid “marking their own homework”.

“At the moment if you lodge a complaint with the ABC it’s not dealt with by an independent person,” he said on Tuesday. “It’s a bit like Dracula and the blood bank. They basically mark their own homework.”

Bragg suggested a “litany” of people were unhappy with the ABC including veterans, multicultural communities and Jewish groups.

Bragg told Guardian Australia a parliamentary review was necessary because there had been “extensive community concern over a number of programs and posts and the associated complaints handling”.

He denied the ABC review was external even though the board appointed two independent experts to undertake it.

“It is not an external review, it’s an internal review and I believe the Senate inquiry will be a stronger mechanism,” he said.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

hooman posted:

Those burning crosses aren't a big deal, they're really small. Man, you couldn't burn a loving child on one of those crosses

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

Those burning crosses aren't a big deal, they're really small. Man, you couldn't burn a loving child on one of those crosses

Mock guillotines have been brought to protests against billionaires, were you concerned about those? I wasn't, I though it was funny.

If they were erecting a usable scaffold, yes, I'd be more concerned.

EDIT In auspol news, someone actually dedicated to killing us all

Guardian AU posted:

Morrison said he did not believe the Glasgow summit had been the “death knell” for the coal industry, saying there would be a transition but over a long period of time.

“For all those working in the industry in Australia, they will continue to work in the industry for decades to come,” Morrison said.

The LNP is gonna win the next election and doing nothing on climate is going to the policy for the next 5 years as well.

hooman fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 15, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lol some idiot gremlin made a rat gallows because a state premier is enacting a bad law time to panic.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

hooman posted:

Mock guillotines have been brought to protests against billionaires, were you concerned about those? I wasn't, I though it was funny.

If they were erecting a usable scaffold, yes, I'd be more concerned.

EDIT In auspol news, someone actually dedicated to killing us all

The LNP is gonna win the next election and doing nothing on climate is going to the policy for the next 5 years as well.

Won’t someone please think of those poor billionaires but gently caress them drat policies?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

Won’t someone please think of those poor billionaires but gently caress them drat policies?

What are you saying here?

To be clear, I'm *for* bringing guillotines to protests against billionaires. I'm just aware that that particular brand of comedy cuts both ways and I'm not going to twist my jocks over some moron with a handheld noose collection.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

Well you have the Victorian state ALP well cared for and someone has to do everyone else.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

hooman posted:

What are you saying here?

To be clear, I'm *for* bringing guillotines to protests against billionaires. I'm just aware that that particular brand of comedy cuts both ways and I'm not going to twist my jocks over some moron with a handheld noose collection.

Call me old fashioned but a bunch of white right-wingers whose particular brand of politics is very much about violently taking out politicians is a bit Wowzers.

I’d be more worried about left-wing activists doing the same but they’d have to actually do something and kick some goals first.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

abigserve posted:

Anti-vaxx hippies are naturally anti-gov and a lot of the time they're also really isolated.

some people just can't handle being told what to do but they really REALLY like telling other people what to do, and that's how you get fascists.

Crystal woo types unfortunately have a lot in common with fascists, the original Nazis themselves were big on occult bullshit, see the swastika and all.

Recoome posted:

Call me old fashioned but a bunch of white right-wingers whose particular brand of politics is very much about violently taking out politicians is a bit Wowzers.

I’d be more worried about left-wing activists doing the same but they’d have to actually do something and kick some goals first.

Yeah, it's been a long time since anyone's been guillotined, but well, ask Jo Cox about the right being harmless when they start talking about killing leaders they don't like.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Crystal woo types unfortunately have a lot in common with fascists, the original Nazis themselves were big on occult bullshit, see the swastika and all.

Yeah, it's been a long time since anyone's been guillotined, but well, ask Jo Cox about the right being harmless when they start talking about killing leaders they don't like.

And ask the congressional baseball shooter too if you want an example from the left. I know there are more cases of stochastic terrorism being performed by right wing people (of the nazi and non nazi varities) which being conservative does not protect you from (David Ames).

Bringing a shittily made string of miniature nooses to a protest is not any of those.

Recoome posted:

Fair.

EDIT: MORE *clap* WOMEN *clap* IN *clap* STOCHASTIC *clap* TERRORISM

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

Bringing a shittily made string of miniature nooses to a protest is not any of those.

Tbh the little gallows looked like it had been reinforced quite well and while the rope wasn't great, the rest of it looked top notch.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Tbh the little gallows looked like it had been reinforced quite well and while the rope wasn't great, the rest of it looked top notch.

Remind me never to sit in a chair at your house.

EDIT: Look at that garbage in the top left, isn't even flush Mistah Spekah

hooman fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 15, 2021

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Nice of Barnaby Joyce to confirm the Coalition government isn't actually a government they give support.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

Remind me never to sit in a chair at your house.

EDIT: Look at that garbage in the top left, isn't even flush Mistah Spekah

I don't have any miniature prop chairs to accommodate people of your stature anyway.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I don't have any miniature prop chairs to accommodate people of your stature anyway.

Just put down a couple of phone books and I'll jump up.

EDIT: Onto the phone books that is.

hooman fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

hooman posted:

And ask the congressional baseball shooter too if you want an example from the left. I know there are more cases of stochastic terrorism being performed by right wing people (of the nazi and non nazi varities) which being conservative does not protect you from (David Ames).

Fair.

EDIT: MORE *clap* WOMEN *clap* IN *clap* STOCHASTIC *clap* TERRORISM

what the heck is this?