Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Harris was the original establishment choice for presidential nominee, but then Klob murdered her on stage during one of the debates and she was so monumentally unpopular that not even the DNC could thumb the scales hard enough to save her, so they went to plan B - Backdoor her in with Biden.

And the rest is current events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

the_steve posted:

Harris was the original establishment choice for presidential nominee, but then Klob murdered her on stage during one of the debates and she was so monumentally unpopular that not even the DNC could thumb the scales hard enough to save her, so they went to plan B - Backdoor her in with Biden.

I might be thinking of a different occurrence than you are but the real shivving I remember was from Gabbard, not Klobb. It still redounded to Klobb in that she became the only serious female candidate after that because lol Warren lmao

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Honestly I forget more about Harris existing than I forgot about Pence existing, and that's quite something. Like you'd think she'd be going for literally any opportunity to be in the public eye, or spearheading a major policy initiative, but I can't recall a single instance of her appearing in the media. It's like she has major depression or something.

Oh well I can't really figure out the strategies behind a single Democratic politician, so I guess more the merrier.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the veep going back to another useless position is another norm that would be okay to have again, especially after 4 years of rear end in a top hat licking that Brony fucker did.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

DarkCrawler posted:

Honestly I forget more about Harris existing than I forgot about Pence existing, and that's quite something. Like you'd think she'd be going for literally any opportunity to be in the public eye, or spearheading a major policy initiative, but I can't recall a single instance of her appearing in the media. It's like she has major depression or something.

Oh well I can't really figure out the strategies behind a single Democratic politician, so I guess more the merrier.
The last time I can remember her being in the media is when she was at the southern border, but I can't name anything she did while she was down there.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I might be thinking of a different occurrence than you are but the real shivving I remember was from Gabbard, not Klobb. It still redounded to Klobb in that she became the only serious female candidate after that because lol Warren lmao

It was probably Gabbard then, honestly I keep forgetting she existed.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Elysiume posted:

The last time I can remember her being in the media is when she was at the southern border, but I can't name anything she did while she was down there.

Which to be fair gives her one point over on Pence, who went to the border and pretended to stare menacingly through some binoculars and the photo-op was memed to hell and back less than an hour later

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
The most notable thing Harris did during the campaign was land some solid hits on Biden before she fizzled out, so it's likely he saw some sort of shoring up there.

I don't really see where she was ever that big of an "establishment pick," seeing as while she got a bunch of endorsements it seems only a handful were outside of California and even a lot of those were like state reps and relatively minor offices. It much more seemed she just looked good on paper until she got more scrutiny.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Elysiume posted:

"Do not come. Do not come."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

the veep going back to another useless position is another norm that would be okay to have again, especially after 4 years of rear end in a top hat licking that Brony fucker did.

I thought that was the whole point of the Pence Vice-Presidency though? Trump picked the most obsequious, subservient empty suited empty suit he could find explicitly for the purposes of neutering the VP office into oblivion, which Kamala Harris subsequently inherited. It was done purely to consolidate Trump's power in the White House (or at least try to, because he didn't have a solid handle on ANYTHING, the lazy incompetent idiot he was), it merely had the knock-on effect of erasing all of the power expansions that Dick Cheney had clawed out during the Bush years which Biden also enjoyed during his time as VP too.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

the_steve posted:

i don't think harris' profile or popularity, or hell, for that matter, personal relations with any of the people who mattered, were ever high enough that she was the establishment choice. She was never all that popular, always had extremely glaring weaknesses, and as far as anyone knows, she got the nod from biden precisely because 1) he'd promised to select a black woman as vp as part of the deal with clyburn and 2) harris had a relationship with beau. Both as a presidential and as a vp candidate she was never even near the establishment favorite afaict

To this day idk what the actual perceived upside of selecting her as a vp was for biden beyond honoring the commitment biden made and that she wasn't other, more polarizing vp candidates. She maybe gave him some law n order upside given that was what trump was trying to attack him on, but beyond that, idk. She's turned out almost exactly how it seemed like she would from day 1. That said, I thought she was the worst possible pick for vp, especially from the perspective of trying to seriously win, but clearly I was off base on that. I also thought biden was a dogshit choice for trying to beat trump, but again lol clearly I was wrong.

btw went back and checked and the her popularity peaked during the primaries at ~15%, outside of some pundits who wanted to fire off some pundit takes, I don't think she was ever seriously considered the establishment favorite or meaningfully a front runner

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 15, 2021

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Why would her public polling reflect her being or not being the establishment favorite? That's completely orthogonal

People describe her as the establishment pick because she got a bunch of glowing media to position her as an expected frontrunner before the primary race had even started and she got big gently caress-off money from the Clinton donor base. She just wasted all that support because she also took on moron Clinton people to help run her campaign and because Harris herself really loving sucks at this stuff

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

People describe her as the establishment pick because they don't like her and they honestly believe the Democratic Party's upper echelons would never do anything that they didn't want to, so anything that they do must be the product of an elaborate conspiracy to produce the result they wanted.

You can tell how Kamala was the establishment pick because of that time she did everything short of calling the establishment pick for President Joe Biden a racist on national TV as a desperation move to get some attention and money in her coffers in a crowded presidential field that had already written her off. All part of the long game you see.

Democrats picked her for the ticket because she was black and a woman and they thought that's what they needed, and of the choices available they thought she'd have the most upsides and the fewest downsides, not because they wanted her.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

People describe her as the establishment pick because they don't like her and they honestly believe the Democratic Party's upper echelons would never do anything that they didn't want to, so anything that they do must be the product of an elaborate conspiracy to produce the result they wanted.

You can tell how Kamala was the establishment pick because of that time she did everything short of calling the establishment pick for President Joe Biden a racist on national TV as a desperation move to get some attention and money in her coffers in a crowded presidential field that had already written her off. All part of the long game you see.

Democrats picked her for the ticket because she was black and a woman and they thought that's what they needed, and of the choices available they thought she'd have the most upsides and the fewest downsides, not because they wanted her.

Like, seriously, I get all the people clamoring for her to have been picked, but is Stacey Abrams was Biden's VP pick, Georgia's two senate seats probably stay red. Not that it probably really matters anyway because thanks to Joe Manchin and Kysten Sinema, Mitch McConnell still runs the Senate anyway, but at least her still being on the ground in Georgia and not squirreled away at the Naval Observatory gives the Dems a chance to try and maybe hold onto at least one seat--she's got the time to try and cement Jon Ossoff in place by 2026, but Raphael Warnock is hosed.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 15, 2021

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Like, seriously, I get all the people clamoring for her to have been picked, but is Stacey Abrams was Biden's VP pick, Georgia's two senate seats probably stay red. Not that it probably really matters anyway because thanks to Joe Manchin and Kysten Sinema, Mitch McConnell still runs the Senate anyway, but at least here still being on the ground in Georgia and not swirled away at the Naval Observatory gives the Dems a chance to try and maybe hold onto at least one seat--she's got the time to try and cement Jon Ossoff in place by 2026, but Raphael Warnock is hosed.

A universe where Stacey Abrams had enough cache to be picked as vp is very likely to be a universe where bidens entire electoral strategy is not to simply sit on the sidelines during the actual runup to election day. But, y'know, counterfactuals and all that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Harris I'd call... not exactly an establishment pick, but certainly a Clinton creature, especially given she somehow inherited the Clinton stans that would go on to become the KHive (the ones that didn't turn into Trumpers anyway) and give her the dubious distinction of having a definite, visible, extremely dedicated and extremely small support base of extremely online people.

I'd say she's a case of having been groomed as an establishment pick for a while, as a completely compliant black woman who in theory has all the qualifications that matter, except the establishment was blindsided by A: her having no charisma whatsoever, possibly in the negatives, and 2: her tough-on-crime prosecuting record suddenly becoming a negative with pretty much exactly the demographic she's supposed to attract (aside from the abovementioned lunatics in the KHive) and having zero crossover appeal, because Ds can be as tough on crime as they want and it will not matter except to alienate progressives and perpetuate problems.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I missed the part where “let’s go Brandon” became code for “gently caress Joe Biden” and at this point I’m embarrassed to ask

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Triskelli posted:

I missed the part where “let’s go Brandon” became code for “gently caress Joe Biden” and at this point I’m embarrassed to ask

People were chanting gently caress Joe Biden at a Nascar race and the reporter interviewing the winner tried to "pg for tv" it by telling the winner they were chanting let's go Brandon (his name was Brandon)

It then turned into a cringey meme that became yet another shibboleth for the culture war

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My "the VP does too have a real job" t-shirt is raising a lot of questions already answered by the t-shirt

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the_steve posted:

The establishment seemed to bounce between candidates, they settled on Buttigieg at one point but he hosed up by being insanely openly shady and letting Bernie gain momentum. Everyone else was kind of a darling-of-the-week and nobody could really gain any real traction(until of course there was a danger of someone even a hair to the left actually winning, at which point the obama directly intervened and formed centrist voltron to put a stop to that nonsense). Harris was legendarily unpopular even from the very start though.

The establishment being unable to cement a real rising star has been an issue for a while, mostly because their picks are always soulless corporate drones with no charisma whatsoever.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Willa Rogers posted:

thinking about the halcyon days of fantasizing sanders picking turner. :allears:

Hell yeah.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
VP is "president of the Senate", I feel like making her presence felt in the Senate would be a good start.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

lil poopendorfer posted:

VP is "president of the Senate", I feel like making her presence felt in the Senate would be a good start.

Lol, that'd be a laugh.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

"Everyone that thinks the democrats' party leadership is capable, willing, and likely to act in coordination is drunk on Alex Jones!" is a hell of a take. Good luck wrangling the left to vote for whatever rapist piece of poo poo ancient from the time before time the democrats dump on you next lol

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just lmao if you can't properly apply the concept of Dems Bad enough to realize that the real establishment pick for President is and always was MegaHitler.

(Seriously, just think of Harris as a great baseball prospect who got put in the major league lineup [the primary] and hit .150 [dropped out due to being a charisma black hole with atrocious polling]; some people high up in the party thought she had potential but they weren't signing her to a 10 year $350 million contract or anything.)

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 15, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If Biden had been the establishment pick they would have cleared the deck for him like they did for Hillary in 2016. They were pretty clearly divided over who would be the best choice to stop Bernie, and a perennial joke candidate with a history of groping women and little girls on camera who was an idiot and said dumb poo poo constantly even before his brain started wasting away from age didn't seem like a good bet, but all the alternatives were terrible too.

They didn't coalesce behind Biden until every other one of their empty suits flamed out spectacularly, and one they had agreed on him they cleared the deck immediately.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The donors would absolutely run MegaHitler; what're you gonna do, vote for OmniHitler?

When a leftist forces a vote centrists hate, Sanguina can read his mind. But class interests, that's just a conspiracy theory.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 15, 2021

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

A two party system is really the drizzling shits.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Thinking that there's a correlation between phone calls to the candidates from Obama and them dropping out over the course of the next 10-ish days is absolute conspiracy theory nonsense.

Now sit down and let me tell you how Trump asked for Russian help and it's absolutely no coincidence Hillary's emails were hacked weeks later

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Musk is also right to mock Bernie as an ineffectual loser and/or con man.

Bernie got poor people to give him all they could afford or more than they could afford for promises of a better life then he turned around and gave all their money to a senile rapist who is sending Musk billions in free money while lecturing us that inflation is our fault because we got too much aid during a world destroying pandemic. Bernie did this in exchange for pinky promises on policy that were all jettisoned shortly after Biden won and didn't need Bernie anymore.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

If Biden had been the establishment pick they would have cleared the deck for him like they did for Hillary in 2016. They were pretty clearly divided over who would be the best choice to stop Bernie, and a perennial joke candidate with a history of groping women and little girls on camera who was an idiot and said dumb poo poo constantly even before his brain started wasting away from age didn't seem like a good bet, but all the alternatives were terrible too.

They didn't coalesce behind Biden until every other one of their empty suits flamed out spectacularly, and one they had agreed on him they cleared the deck immediately.

I remember tons of people pushing Warren, ignoring the fact that she's entirely lacking in any charisma.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Rejoice, Texas, a savior approaches.

https://twitter.com/BetoORourke/status/1460246205066354692?s=20

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Remember Beto's cool skateboard moves?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

My calves are already fully cramped in anticipation

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

Judging from the CNN article, there's two major issues:
  • Harris and her staff suck at running and organizing things, are generally poor at actually doing things and sticking with them, and the Biden team is too busy to make helping them a significant priority
  • a significant part of Biden's staff suspect that Kamala will prioritize her personal political gain over the success of the current presidency, and a significant portion of Harris' staff are loudly calling for her to do just that, so Harris is concerned that being too assertive will fuel the distrust from the Biden camp

Lib and let die posted:

Thinking that there's a correlation between phone calls to the candidates from Obama and them dropping out over the course of the next 10-ish days is absolute conspiracy theory nonsense.

Now sit down and let me tell you how Trump asked for Russian help and it's absolutely no coincidence Hillary's emails were hacked weeks later

It didn't exactly take a political genius to notice that Bernie the only leftist candidate was only polling in the low 30s, and the only reason he had a shot at all was because the liberal vote was divided between literally half a dozen ambitious centrist creatures who saw the lack of a clear establishment pick as an opportunity to skip the line and jump straight to the presidency.

Going on and on about Obama phone calls and "centrist Voltron" just sounds like sour grapes from losers angry that the liberals didn't actively pursue self-destructive policy right up to the very end for Bernie's sake. Whether or not they had to be told to drop out after they failed to get basically any black votes at all in South Carolina is only really relevant as a gauge for the quality of their political sense.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Oh no...

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Failed Imagineer posted:

My calves are already fully cramped in anticipation

Just wait until McConaughey jumps in and Beto is no longer the sexiest or vaguest candidate for Governor.

edit: Abbott, Beto in dead heat for Texas governor, new poll shows (43-42 Abbott, Nov 1)

I'd say Beto has a chance if the Democrats do well in the 2022 elections (so, uh... probably not a good chance).

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 15, 2021

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

VitalSigns posted:

Musk is also right to mock Bernie as an ineffectual loser and/or con man.

Bernie got poor people to give him all they could afford or more than they could afford for promises of a better life then he turned around and gave all their money to a senile rapist who is sending Musk billions in free money while lecturing us that inflation is our fault because we got too much aid during a world destroying pandemic. Bernie did this in exchange for pinky promises on policy that were all jettisoned shortly after Biden won and didn't need Bernie anymore.

Aside from literally not winning, Sanders seems only as much as an ineffectual loser as any of the rest of us here fretting about how to stop our world hurtling into doom. Con man though? Do you not think him consistent or sincere?

Bernie's just one old white dude but I feel he is one of extremely few (in any position of leadership) even saying the right thing. I am just confused by the attacks on him, and the content of your post doesn't illuminate your narrative to me. He didn't win, so he put himself behind the (distant) next best thing. I never expected Bernie to physically pummel conservadems or give Trump a stone cold stunner.

Even if it's just rhetoric, his aggressive calls for action embolden me and surely others. Even if it's not enough, I don't understand faulting him not being able to save us.

Hope this isn't too much of a derail or rehash, I just don't see who or what he could be that would satisfy these complaints.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

He's gonna raise a poo poo ton of money, get blown out in the actual election, and then somehow progressives will be blamed for his loss while he continues to fail upwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Bernie's fault is not his failure to win, but continuing to treat the Dems as allies when, as framepainmain so well notes above, they clearly are not.