Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

hotdog feet posted:

cool just need a name for my demon trucker game and im the next hit indie dev

hellfire highway
gas, grass, rear end, or damnation
18 wheels and 1 hell of a friend

can't use highway to hell. not because it's too obvious or that i'm worried about lawsuits, just that ac/dc sucks.
Hell on Wheels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Wait so SMTV has like, all the demons interactable in a fully 3D space? Each demon has unique dialogue? Is there a flavor text? This might heavily influence a near-future purchase.

I think it's like animal crossing where there's a set number of personalities though some of them have unique negotiation dialogue (mostly jack frost)

much like animal crossing they all also have brain problems

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hatty posted:

Which Demon would you go on a road trip with? I’d of course choose Mothman

i would go on a bike tour with my best friend hell biker

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

hatty posted:

The correct answer is our lord and savior Lucifrost.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Volte posted:

I didn't mean Doom or Doom 64 was designed for it, but rather the Switch's library at large. Even if some games weren't originally "designed" with sRGB-accurate screens in mind, they were at least tested and approved on them, so mapping them to a wider colour gamut is going to change the dynamic range beyond the expectation of what the game would originally look like, for better or worse.
That's true, particularly with regard to handheld mode. Going forward though developers will be testing their games in Vivid mode to make sure they at least don't look terrible (which is precisely how this conversation started), and I'm sure Nintendo will be advertising certain first-party titles as looking particularly good init as they already did with Metroid.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Stux posted:

do you also turn on motion interpolation on a tv lol
If it could magically fix the frame jank in Switch games, yes, yes I would.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Harrow posted:

Most of the characters in any SMT game are demons so just about all the friendly or neutral NPC you talk to in the game is a demon of some kind. And you get characters for your party by negotiating with demons you encounter instead of fighting them. They don't all have fully unique dialogue but demons come in a bunch of different archetypes and each archetype has its own dialogue. There's variance within archetypes, though, and sometimes there are unique conversations if you have a certain demon in your party who knows the demon you're trying to negotiate with.

So it's safe to assume the most iconic demons to the series, like Mothman, or ones pertinent to the storyline of this game will be the ones with mostly unique dialoge? The unique dialogue isn't the most important thing to me. For me, it's that sweet, sweet flavor text.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's true, particularly with regard to handheld mode. Going forward though developers will be testing their games in Vivid mode to make sure they at least don't look terrible (which is precisely how this conversation started), and I'm sure Nintendo will be advertising certain first-party titles as looking particularly good init as they already did with Metroid.

they wont. theyll be making the games for the regular color mapping.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

So it's safe to assume the most iconic demons to the series, like Mothman, or ones pertinent to the storyline of this game will be the ones with mostly unique dialoge? The unique dialogue isn't the most important thing to me. For me, it's that sweet, sweet flavor text.

nah mothman has one of the archetypes. i think the Jack demons have unique text, probably some of the other ones that they want to be quasi-mascots.

they all have cool lore info about their mythology if you capture them and look them up in your compendium which i love even if it's a short blurb. also a lot of them have NPC versions which give out a quest

the lore info is good if you see something neat and want to get sucked into a Gnosticism-flavored deep dive in Wikipedia

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
"...and those who play shalt play the game with all the colors chosen by the LORD; therefore knowing these colors to be as His vision."

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

hotdog feet posted:

cool just need a name for my demon trucker game and im the next hit indie dev

hellfire highway
gas, grass, rear end, or damnation
18 wheels and 1 hell of a friend

can't use highway to hell. not because it's too obvious or that i'm worried about lawsuits, just that ac/dc sucks.

Hellbound and Down

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

nah mothman has one of the archetypes. i think the Jack demons have unique text, probably some of the other ones that they want to be quasi-mascots.

they all have cool lore info about their mythology if you capture them and look them up in your compendium which i love even if it's a short blurb. also a lot of them have NPC versions which give out a quest

the lore info is good if you see something neat and want to get sucked into a Gnosticism-flavored deep dive in Wikipedia

Yeah, I've never played a single entry in the series but I've spent hours on the fan wiki, accruing dozens of tabs. Huge fan of the designs and the direction their take mythological creatures and deities. It's incredible stuff.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SMT is a ton of fun and also has a pretty great sense of humor, especially in demon negotiations

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
smh if you didn't bang the hot goth doctor in p5

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

dolphinbomb posted:

smh if you didn't bang the hot goth doctor in p5

we all love the cradle-robber doctor who sells illegal drugs

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

i played Mario Party with a couple of friends and if i were to sum it up in one image..

poor Toadette, game owns though.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Stux posted:

the bigger triangle is whaht the oled could display, but the small triangle inside is what switch games actually produce. you want what the game is trying to display to be as close as possible to what the display produces, which is what standard does. however i understnand that for some people w colorblindness etc higher saturation or contrast between colors can be helpful so it would be a good choice there. but in general standard is accurate to what the games are intending to display.

tuo posted:

The triangles are the color gamut that each of the modes reproduces. In simple (and not entirely correct) terms rendering color into a larger color gamut produces less compression artifacts IF the original captured image comes from an even larger color gamut (like a photograph from the world, or actually an artificial one like computer generated images). If the image you are reproducing is entirely digital (like I assume it is with Doom 64 for example), it‘s totally up to the people who created the original image, to the image format, the bit-depth of the original format of what that image actually should look like. This is mostly due to the fact that it was created on a display, so it's color reproduction is device dependant. Each display will reproduce for example 100% red differently. This can be mitigated by using a color profile supplied by the manufacturer of the display to match a given standard, and even then it will be different from one batch to the other. It can be further mitigated by calibrating the device by actually measuring the energy at certain wavelengths it is able to create and thus creating a more precise color profile, but you will never really now what the author of the digital piece saw when he decided "this pixel is 100% red, 55% green, 12% blue". You can only get close to it, and then you have to try to reproduce this to a completely different, device dependant color gamut (=> color mapping).

People tend to look at color gamuts and use them as some kind of „larger is better“, which is just half of the truth. Rendering intent is pretty important when color mapping into another gamut, and is always important in regard to the use case. You can map into a large gamut and it looks like poo poo if you are using the wrong rendering intent, but this also depends on the kind of tones you actually have to map. Is clipping bad? Or does clipping colors not harm my image, and it‘s way more important to keep gradients? There are different intents for these situations, they can be adaptive (trying to replicate how the human eye works), absolute (replicate the source material 1:1 and clip it off when the gamut cannot reproduce it) etc.

Only looking at a color gamut says a few things, but implementing that gamut well is another task to conquer.

Oh I might want to get an OLED then because I have to crank the saturation and contrast by a ton to see certain games!

Thanks for explaining!

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Feels Villeneuve posted:

we all love the cradle-robber doctor who sells illegal drugs

she owns. I love trash

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Stux posted:

seems good to me. i dont go for that nerd poo poo.

Stux posted:

standard

a bit out but pretty close

vivid

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tender Bender posted:

Thank you for your insights. I'm giving vivid a try and it looks quite nice. Semper oled

Where on the Switch can you change the OLED screen to vivid? That's how I have my OLED TV set up and any other setting looks washed out and dull.

e: nm google to the rescue

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 15, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

My current favorite is Cait Sith, simply because that fucker managed to fake me out twice before joining the party. At first I didn't now that fucker would sometimes ask for money (repeatedly) at the start of a battle, so I misjudged this little highway robber as someone eager to join me and gave him 1k of my early game money, only for him to be really thankful and ending the battle.

But because he "let me get away" the encounter was still there and of course one stab later, the fucker was back again asking for more money. :shepface:

The second time we had a nice, philosophical discussion which ended with, "hey, I think you're a swell dude, no reason to fight" (paraphrased) and then he walked off instead of joining, leaving me to fight the rest of the battle minus one enemy.

On the third attempt he shook me down like the rat bastard he is, but eventually did join. The balls of that cat are literally Jupiter-sized! :allears:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So SMTV is very good?

I played a tiny bit of 4 and a good amount of Nocturne and DDS.
If it's more of the same, I'll be happy.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
In smt4, when the demons requested something, you had a decent chance of recruiting them if you just told them to gently caress off. I dont know if that applies to smt5

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1460241730469564434

:dance:

Can't wait for March....I wanna marry the succubus. :colbert:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm very happy that the Rune Factory series is still going strong. I liked 3 and especially 4 a lot and it sounds like 5 did extremely well in Japan.

Support it when it comes to the states in 2022 goons!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

So SMTV is very good?

I played a tiny bit of 4 and a good amount of Nocturne and DDS.
If it's more of the same, I'll be happy.

It's very good

One note is that it's much less about dungeon crawling, though. A lot of the game takes place in big, open areas (with a ton to explore, lots of hidden things, and lots of verticality) rather than dungeon crawls.

I feel very confident saying that if you like mainline SMT at all, you'll like SMTV.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Harrow posted:

It's very good

One note is that it's much less about dungeon crawling, though. A lot of the game takes place in big, open areas (with a ton to explore, lots of hidden things, and lots of verticality) rather than dungeon crawls.

I feel very confident saying that if you like mainline SMT at all, you'll like SMTV.

i feel like the game is just one big dungeon crawl with the ceiling removed

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the most dreamcast looking game on the Switch is Mr Driller, there's something about that era of early 00s puzzle/arcade game that is just happy mode

the most dreamcast looking game on the Switch is Splatoon 2

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stux posted:

i feel like the game is just one big dungeon crawl with the ceiling removed

Yeah that honestly feels more accurate. It's definitely not an "open world" game in the way that term is usually used and does feel like a big megadungeon

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
How does it compare to Persona?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
More battling and fusing but less high school stuff and smooching

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah that honestly feels more accurate. It's definitely not an "open world" game in the way that term is usually used and does feel like a big megadungeon

How easily are you able to tell where you should explore next and where you have previously been? I have pretty bad memory so I can get lost very very easily.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

The main guy has better hair

Zeron posted:

How easily are you able to tell where you should explore next and where you have previously been? I have pretty bad memory so I can get lost very very easily.

The map only fills in as you explore I think so you can always tell if you haven't gone in a direction yet. And it does give you quest markers for the main story at least, so if all else fails you can go in that direction.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Boba Pearl posted:

It's missing heart. :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1JJt7xHTlE

Yikes, and I thought it didn't run well on my Series X :ohdear:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

the demons call you a fuckboy

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Look is there someone who will make me feel feeling and / or lemme do the pg-13 equivalent of smash?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Harrow posted:

It's very good

That's what I've wanted from an SMT game so I'll buy it as soon as it hits $40 or so.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

WHY BONER NOW posted:

In smt4, when the demons requested something, you had a decent chance of recruiting them if you just told them to gently caress off. I dont know if that applies to smt5

Yeah, in SMT4 it seemed like the way to almost guarantee a successful negotiation was to give the demon one or two of their requests and THEN tell them to gently caress off. I dunno if it's just because I'm in the early game still, but in SMT5 it seems like you can guarantee a join if you just give them everything they ask for, and you can occasionally get away with asking them to request something different if they ask for an item you don't want to give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Takoluka posted:

the most dreamcast looking game on the Switch is Splatoon 2

Incorrect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQnf8J-AFek