Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

The Hunter faction in VtES was loving weird, didn't work like anything else, and cause all kinds of unforeseen rules interactions.

That was when I knew that the game designers had truly ran out of ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I had a friend who always played Hunter in V:tES.

So I had a bunch of cards that killed allies in my Samedi deck as a counter.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I've seen the Dune movie and now I'm thinking of pre-ordering the rpg.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've seen the Dune movie and now I'm thinking of pre-ordering the rpg.

It's already out so I would suggest just buying it normally!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I don't think they made games bad on purpose-far easier to buy the rights and just not make them-but buying up CCG rights to Vampire, Cyberpunk, Battletech, etc. was definitely a strategy to snuff competition from popular properties.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

It's already out so I would suggest just buying it normally!

Weird on the website they say pre-order still.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

MonsieurChoc posted:

Weird on the website they say pre-order still.

:shrug: I got mine, and when I go to the store in both the main and US sites it looks ready for regular sale. Weird.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't think they made games bad on purpose-far easier to buy the rights and just not make them-but buying up CCG rights to Vampire, Cyberpunk, Battletech, etc. was definitely a strategy to snuff competition from popular properties.

They apparently bought up licenses and sat on them to screw competitors.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They apparently bought up licenses and sat on them to screw competitors.

Yeah. But draining the well is different from poisoning it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah. But draining the well is different from poisoning it.

Right, the only thing I'd ever heard of with any confirmation was this, or cutting short runs/giving short shelf lives to other CCGs, I'd never heard deliberate "we are going to make this game bad to make magic look good," especially since there was a time they were using the younger age group games as on-ramps to magic.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
At my parents' place and am very pleased to discover that I did not, in fact, throw out all my InQuest magazines in 2017!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

At my parents' place and am very pleased to discover that I did not, in fact, throw out all my InQuest magazines in 2017!

If you've got the late 90's one with a pegasus on the cover repost the rules for point buy mtg where each player gets a coven of wizards! That struck me as a fun variant as a kid and I don't know if it actually was, or if it was just broken and dumb.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Coolness Averted posted:

Right, the only thing I'd ever heard of with any confirmation was this, or cutting short runs/giving short shelf lives to other CCGs, I'd never heard deliberate "we are going to make this game bad to make magic look good," especially since there was a time they were using the younger age group games as on-ramps to magic.

Only example I can think of is them strangling Duel Masters in the West cause they were afraid of it overtaking Magic like it did(and still does) in Japan, and then later sabotaging the Kaijudo version with a bunch of arbitrary nonsense to repeat it

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I checked the House Rules article for that issue (and all the other ones) but didn't see anything like that. I'll post the other variant rules when I get back home if you'd like, though.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Only example I can think of is them strangling Duel Masters in the West cause they were afraid of it overtaking Magic like it did(and still does) in Japan, and then later sabotaging the Kaijudo version with a bunch of arbitrary nonsense to repeat it

That's because dual master fixed the biggest problem in magic: having dedicated resource cards.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I checked the House Rules article for that issue (and all the other ones) but didn't see anything like that. I'll post the other variant rules when I get back home if you'd like, though.

Dang I thought that was the one that had that. Since I only had like 6 issues of inquest ever and I remember that was one of them.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
My 40th anniversary edition of the keepers book for Call of Cthulhu finally came in! It looks great but unfortunately it came with a defect. Two of the pages weren't cut properly and are still connected. Still a nice book.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bumper Stickup posted:

My 40th anniversary edition of the keepers book for Call of Cthulhu finally came in! It looks great but unfortunately it came with a defect. Two of the pages weren't cut properly and are still connected. Still a nice book.
It didn't have a mysterious set of instructions in those pages, did it?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I wish. It's just a small imperfection that leaves a gap in the pages that's bothering me irrationally.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Looks simple to just cut off from the pictures. Not along the crease line, though, which seems obvious but would be my first instinct.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
All this old CCG talk makes me feel nostalgic, and now I wonder if there are any other Youtubers talking about this kinda thing. I stumbled across Kohdok recently who seems alright, but are there any others who aren't finance bros or fash?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The TG Secret Santa 2021 thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3984315

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Is this the best thread to talk about making a game? I have one in the works I think would be fun to share.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Here is fine, you could also be looking for The Game Writing Workshop

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Here is fine, you could also be looking for The Game Writing Workshop

I went ahead and posted it there, thanks! :)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Anyone have a good recommendation for buying a handful of custom-faced d6s?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Probably unhelpful, but I really like the look of hand-drawn art on dice. You can get some really good stuff if you know someone with even a modicum of artistic ability, like just “nice handwriting and a sharpie” levels. I ruined a calligraphy brush with permanent ink making my own once with Chinese characters.

I know you most likely wanted a service that’ll do it professionally, but it’s an option.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

At this point unless you’re ordering 20 or more and count for the bulk discount from Chessex I’d see if a local maker space can do you some on a 3d printer, it’ll be balanced enough and you can find tons of models to play with.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Crosspostin Da Dealz

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

What other card games (CCG/TCG) had true asymmetry, other than Netrunner? I'm not talking Light Side vs. Dark Side factions, I'm talking different turn structure, different card types, different Victory conditions.

Star Trek CCG was kinda like each player playing netrunner hackers and corps at the same time, setting up mission disasters for your opponent while you tried to clear your opponent's disasters. Not really asymmetric, just a weird form of interaction.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Maybe get in touch with one of the goons making custom dice? They're hanging out in the dice thread, and one of them has an SA-Mart thread here: Handmade RPG Dice, made by goon hands

All cautions and caveats apply, I'm not endorsing anyone, etc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Star Trek CCG was kinda like each player playing netrunner hackers and corps at the same time, setting up mission disasters for your opponent while you tried to clear your opponent's disasters. Not really asymmetric, just a weird form of interaction.

...for some reason, this reminds me of PvP Tetris and Panel de Pon type games.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...for some reason, this reminds me of PvP Tetris and Panel de Pon type games.

Sadly it didn't have any spatial interactions of that kind. You just kind of moved around and tried to clear off cards from stacks.

I believe AniMayhem tried to copy the rules but failed because it was incomprehensibly written and broken as hell (maybe not an idea to include a single card that makes the opponent skip 3 complete turns. Just saying)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PerniciousKnid posted:

Star Trek CCG was the first card game (I think) to get NISEI'd, and I don't know which weirds me out more - that the most recent expansion for the game was put out this month, or that both editions of the game continue to be supported via the "Continuing Committee" with each edition updated a few times a year with their own expansions (1st Edition got a set this month, 2nd Edition got a set last month).

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 15, 2021

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

Star Trek CCG was the first card game (I think) to get NISEI'd,

What does this mean?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

PerniciousKnid posted:

What does this mean?

NISEI is the name of the non-profit fan org publishing and doing organized play to keep Android/Netrunner alive, they're saying the Star Trek game had fans do the same thing first.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Apologies, but yes. I'm fascinated by fan continuations of defunct CCGs. Spellfire has had a strong fan community and a lot of fan cards, but I don't think it ever had anything centralized the way Netrunner / Star Trek have.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
So I noticed something from a session 0 this month and I'm curious if anyone else has seen the same. Every D&D DM I've played with has a very similar description of their style, themes they enjoy, and goals for games they run, regardless of what they're actually gonna run. It's weird hearing the same thing about a dozen times from 2002 through 2021 from players who in most cases have never met. Their self described style is always something like this:
"I don't have a fixed story I'm looking to tell or direction planned for the game. Everything is based on what the players do, I react to the choices you make. I don't railroad you along a story I've already made up. The world exists outside of the player characters and the plot will move along regardless of what you do -if you don't investigate or interact with something, things going to happen without your intervention. This is going to be a story and character driven game, with a focus on roleplay and creative solutions."

Doesn't matter if the DM is running a completely on-rails adventure path -or- rolling a hex grid on tables. Entirely ad-libing with rules and character sheets as suggestions -or- making you RP your fighter's -1 int modifier and play everything RAW. Grid based tactical play -or- theatre of the mind. All of them have had a variant of that summary for their game and style. It's also silly because there's a bunch of contradictory concepts there, not to mention D&D's obvious flaws in delivering some of those.

It feels a lot like the old Malcolm Gladwell anecdote about a coffee brand and spaghetti sauce brand that were both having trouble with focus groups; consumers all knew to say they wanted "rich, dark, and bold" coffee or "traditional Italian style sauce" but in actual taste tests did not want bitter strong coffee or thin oily sauce tailored to what the respondents were directly stating they wanted. The average person uses milk and sugar to make coffee more mild and sweet and Americans love chunky spaghetti sauce, they just didn't have the words to say that or felt embarrassed stating what they actually wanted.

This has been the 'person on the street style' DM rather than say people from TG or other areas that are a bit more critical consumers of tabletop stuff. The sample has ranged from people just casually hucking dice with friends to 'professional DMs' who've done actual plays. The constant is these have all been people in California at the time of play, but with RPG experience starting anywhere from the early 80's to mid to late 90's and coming from a few different places in the US.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah its one of those cliche answers that is at least a yellow flag for me. Unless a game gives the players great narrative control, or the game is deliberately designed to be sandboxy like Ars Magica or similar, a DM describing their style as sandboxy is pretty suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CitizenKeen posted:

Apologies, but yes. I'm fascinated by fan continuations of defunct CCGs. Spellfire has had a strong fan community and a lot of fan cards, but I don't think it ever had anything centralized the way Netrunner / Star Trek have.
The only thing I remember about Spellfire was that it was garbage. Was it improved somehow?