Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its actually a bit lame to say "grown men shouldn't do this", grown men can do what they want, theres no rules and no police but you have to expect someone to make fun of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its like this girl who walked round my town wearing a dog collar and acted offended when people made woof noises at her

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Grown men shouldn't do anything grown men didn't do before 1910

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Meme Poker Party posted:

Oh this seems one really cool and the kind of thing I'm looking for. Might have a winner!

Don't do it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

You didn't like it?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nova69 posted:

I completed the first two dark souls games like 6 or 7 years ago.

Tried dark souls 3 this year and just got bored at the first boss fight, I think I just don't have the patience for souls-likes anymore, they don't provide the relaxation that I'm looking for in games these days.

Iudex Gundyr is a real poo poo bastard of a first boss, and I say this as someone who loves Dark Souls 3. He almost feels like the type of boss you’re supposed to lose to at first, except winning is mandatory.

After a couple of runs he goes down like a total chump, sure, but he’s way harder than most of the other tutorial-ish bosses in the series.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

It was really well made but I found it kind of boring. It didn't feel like it was possible to do character builds, because you get a few randomly chosen options to boost your characters power and that's it. Not much in the way of gear, either. One of the characters classes is a very dumb attempt at making a unique mage class that requires you to get all of your attack power from pieces of scenery on the game boards and it's pretty much tactically null, you've either got a piece of scenery you can blow up to hurt things or you can't.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt though, apparently a big draw of Wildermyth is it being kind of a story generator and I firmly believe videogames shouldn't have any more story than a superficial excuse to execute the gameplay loop.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It was really well made but I found it kind of boring. It didn't feel like it was possible to do character builds, because you get a few randomly chosen options to boost your characters power and that's it. Not much in the way of gear, either. One of the characters classes is a very dumb attempt at making a unique mage class that requires you to get all of your attack power from pieces of scenery on the game boards and it's pretty much tactically null, you've either got a piece of scenery you can blow up to hurt things or you can't.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt though, apparently a big draw of Wildermyth is it being kind of a story generator and I firmly believe videogames shouldn't have any more story than a superficial excuse to execute the gameplay loop.

I used to think this too and then Rimworld showed me how wrong I was. It also reaffirmed my belief that a computer could write a better story than most video game writers, though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elden Ring looks sweet as hell but the fact that George RR Martin is attached to the project makes me second guess myself, not because I dislike his writing (I like it in fact) but because "our game has <huge celebrity>" is so often a red flag

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I don't play Animal Crossing (my partner does) but I don't think it's dumber than the anime games (like Dark Souls) I enjoy. I just find all that brutal capitalism a bit too much to deal with. I'm too sensitive.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

Elden Ring looks sweet as hell but the fact that George RR Martin is attached to the project makes me second guess myself, not because I dislike his writing (I like it in fact) but because "our game has <huge celebrity>" is so often a red flag

He just wrote some lore, I don't think he had anything to do with the rest of the game.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Rutibex posted:

how can you be stressed out by animal crossing. there are no stakes you just do whatever you want

i can understand stardew valley though, ghost grandpa is a harsh critic

idk, the whole trade system makes me itchy. i know it's an unpopular opinion, so i put it here lol

i'd rather run/sneak around and shoot/beat up bad guys.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

KonvexKonkav posted:

He just wrote some lore, I don't think he had anything to do with the rest of the game.

Yeah he basically just wrote some lore for it and that was all. I think he said in an interview a while back that he's been done with his contribution to the game for years.

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

KonvexKonkav posted:

I don't play Animal Crossing (my partner does) but I don't think it's dumber than the anime games (like Dark Souls) I enjoy. I just find all that brutal capitalism a bit too much to deal with. I'm too sensitive.

Wait a minute, dark souls is anime? I may need to rethink some of my life decisions.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Caesar Saladin posted:

90 percent of games actually have you restart at a checkpoint right before you died losing absolutely nothing

Way worse than losing souls imo is the fact that you permanently lose all the consumables you blew in a bossfight when you die and restart. You could use that one-time divine blessing to instantly full heal but if you miss two dodgerolls after popping it you'll be back at the bonfire out of your item with nothing to show for it, and then your next attempt is that much harder since you don't have that resource anymore.

I had this issue with the ape boss in Sekiro -- he's weak to fire so I was using firebombs to trigger a burning status on him at the start of the fight or something, but I died so many times in phase 2 that I just ran dry on firebombs and then I had to git twice as gud to beat the fight legitimately.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Way worse than losing souls imo is the fact that you permanently lose all the consumables you blew in a bossfight when you die and restart. You could use that one-time divine blessing to instantly full heal but if you miss two dodgerolls after popping it you'll be back at the bonfire out of your item with nothing to show for it, and then your next attempt is that much harder since you don't have that resource anymore.

I had this issue with the ape boss in Sekiro -- he's weak to fire so I was using firebombs to trigger a burning status on him at the start of the fight or something, but I died so many times in phase 2 that I just ran dry on firebombs and then I had to git twice as gud to beat the fight legitimately.

That damned ape, I struggled for hours to beat him and when i finally did i set my controller down in triumphant exhaustion and started rubbing my temples. loving thing came back to life shortly thereafter and killed me

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

aceface posted:

Wait a minute, dark souls is anime? I may need to rethink some of my life decisions.

It's heavily influenced by Berserk which is a manga, strictly speaking, but there are multiple anime adapations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
FROM software are a bunch of westaboos though, it's completely full of medieval european stuff

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I love to make fun of weebs, but I have a soft spot for (non-fash) westaboos

like, you little dang nerds cannot fathom the depths of our dysfunction

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
idk what it is about medieval stuff that attracts weird fash chuds but it seems really common
Mordhau's multiplayer was chock full of Gamer Word sayers, even more than usual for an online game

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

I made the mistake of buying COD Vanguard (I don't really play FPS but i wanted to see what the hype was all about).

Within 5 minutes, some ten year old kid was trolling a grown rear end man. The interaction went something like this:

Guy: "Shouldn't you be in bed by now kid why are you still up?"
Kid: "I'm waiting for your mom to come over so I can gently caress her"
Guy: "Real funny kid, you talk big but you're probably in like 6th grade"
Kid: "Hey motherfucker why don't you take your finger and stick it 6 inches up your rear end"

It went on like this for the duration of the match.

Call of Duty sucks

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

QuarkJets posted:

Norman Reedus was pretty cool in Death Stranding and I hadn't heard of him till playing the game. The 50 cent games were also pretty great. That and Mike Tysons Punch-Out are giving me a huge 3-0 against your argument

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
So apparently Norman Reedus is a real person and not a fictional character in Death Stranding?? Huh. I have to assume he was chosen because he already had a Kojima-like name

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

idk what it is about medieval stuff that attracts weird fash chuds but it seems really common
Mordhau's multiplayer was chock full of Gamer Word sayers, even more than usual for an online game

Rugged men doing rugged stuff, aristocracy presented as a positive thing, and they're in favor of killing brown people in the name of religion assuming there is anyone not lilly white. Also, if it's a fantasy setting then you get some racial determinism. Psuedo-medieval settings are pretty toxic if you scratch the surface at all in ways that are pretty appealing to fascists.

And people who fetishize places that are foreign to them are common around the world. There is a pretty big step between "I'm interested in Fakecountry, know their history, and consume their media" and "Fakecountry is the greatest and everything about this one tiny slice of their culture that I know is incredible!" I think any country that has significant cultural exports gets their own -aboos.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Doctor J Off posted:

So apparently Norman Reedus is a real person and not a fictional character in Death Stranding?? Huh. I have to assume he was chosen because he already had a Kojima-like name

I had no idea he was real when the game came out. I still have no idea who he is. I'd hazard the guess that he is on some dumb TV show with a rabid fanbase but no one outside of that fanbase cares or watches.

I decided to look him up before hitting post and my guess is 100% dead on. Never watched his show. Never wanted to watch it. And he doesn't appear to be known for anything else.

It would make sense why people would be confused about him.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Waltzing Along posted:

I had no idea he was real when the game came out. I still have no idea who he is. I'd hazard the guess that he is on some dumb TV show with a rabid fanbase but no one outside of that fanbase cares or watches.

I decided to look him up before hitting post and my guess is 100% dead on. Never watched his show. Never wanted to watch it. And he doesn't appear to be known for anything else.

I mean I haven't seen Walking Dead either but you sound like such a chode about it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

aceface posted:

I made the mistake of buying COD Vanguard (I don't really play FPS but i wanted to see what the hype was all about).

Within 5 minutes, some ten year old kid was trolling a grown rear end man. The interaction went something like this:

Guy: "Shouldn't you be in bed by now kid why are you still up?"
Kid: "I'm waiting for your mom to come over so I can gently caress her"
Guy: "Real funny kid, you talk big but you're probably in like 6th grade"
Kid: "Hey motherfucker why don't you take your finger and stick it 6 inches up your rear end"

It went on like this for the duration of the match.

Call of Duty sucks

Ngl this kid sounds pretty great.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Walking Dead was the biggest entertainment product in the world for multiple years running

Goons predictably know the guy who plays the most popular character on that show only from a video game, claim others are the true weird nerds

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Vic posted:

I mean I haven't seen Walking Dead either but you sound like such a chode about it.

Welcome to the waltzing along posting experience

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I remember the night the walking dead premiered. I watched ten or fifteen minutes, then got shithammered on grain alcohol. I still can't drink Hawaiian punch

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
Wildermyth absolutely blows. The combat is as shallow as gently caress, the difficulty is tuned all wrong. There's no middle ground between "you're smashing the poo poo out of everyone effortlessly" and "you must powergame flawlessly (though skills and gear are heavily randomised) or you'll get rolled". All the little story vignettes are as boring as poo poo, usually some variant of "your guys have an endless chat about ~*Feelings*~ and it really Makes You Think" with the occasional "you touch a weird thing and now you have a weird body part" and everyone talks in the same pseudo snarky Tumblr voice.

Also all the enemies make really annoying noises.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Walking dead was decent until they spent a whole season on a farm

That was season 2 out of 10

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Waltzing Along posted:

He was also in Boondock Saints, but he looks basically nothing like he did in that movie nowadays.

They’re making a third one now, by the way, and after how the second one kind of sucked I’m really curious as to why they’re bothering.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

Walking dead was decent until they spent a whole season on a farm

That was season 2 out of 10

Decent seems generous.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Harrow posted:

I do think Dark Souls 3 swung too hard in the "this is a hard twitchy action game" direction though.

I like a lot about Dark Souls 3 but I don't have a lot of patience for its combat these days. DS3 to me feels like they're trying to make you fight Bloodborne enemies while playing a Dark Souls character. It's hard in a way I don't really find as satisfying as I do the other Souls games or Bloodborne. It's the only game in the series I've only played through once and I never went back to do the DLC, either.

I didn't really have the "BB enemies in Dark Souls combat" problem but maybe that was down to my playstyle. The funny thing though is that I simultaneously think Dark Souls 3 has really fun combat, but also that it's the worst Dark Souls game.

Dewgy posted:

Iudex Gundyr is a real poo poo bastard of a first boss, and I say this as someone who loves Dark Souls 3. He almost feels like the type of boss you’re supposed to lose to at first, except winning is mandatory.

After a couple of runs he goes down like a total chump, sure, but he’s way harder than most of the other tutorial-ish bosses in the series.

I'm always kinda amazed when people say they got into the series with 3. Gundyr isn't insurmountable but boy does he feel like a boss designed for people who have played the previous games and not total greenhorns.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

This is one of the big things that's always bugged me in From's games. It's impossible to discern boss elemental weaknesses/strengths at a glance beyond the most obvious ones (and even then, oops, like 90% of the bosses you think are resistant to fire actually aren't!) but really experimenting and using consumables to figure those out often carries way too much of a cost and/or risk. And realistically if you're relying on them to carry you through a fight, you're probably struggling and are way more likely to die and have wasted them.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I played the poo poo out of Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2. I bought each one on multiple platforms and played through each one like 4-5 times, and beating a game much less replaying it is incredibly rare for me. I was more excited for DS3 than anyone.

Except I literally forgot that I beat Dark Souls 3 until I looked at a list of bosses last month and went "Oh, I remember all of those, I guess I did beat it." There was nothing memorable about it - none of the environments, NPCs, weapons, or bosses stand out to me and I can't even remember them without looking them up.

The combat systems had slowly mutated over time and over subsequent games but it just sucked in DS3. Shields were neutered and enemies were given tons of huge, sweeping attacks that came out extremely fast which forced you into a few distinct playstyles like "parry everything" or "roll in, hit once, roll away". It wasn't even 'difficult' so much as your avenues of approach to attack enemies had been minimized and constrained so much so that you would have to "git good" (e.g. learn perfect parry timing or memorize attack patterns and opening timing to weave a calculated amount of attacks in between dodges), instead of "git good" it was more like "learn to become a round peg so you can go in the round hole". Every method of player power from the first two games was heavily nerfed, like poise, heavy shields, weapons with huge reach, etc. so it felt incredibly constricted and guided into a specific playstyle.

The only memorable enemy was the big rat/cat thing that was maybe a mimic or something and I think showed up one time in the entire game?

Anyway, Dark Souls 3 was an incredibly bad game and completely misunderstood what made Dark Souls games good and it was disheartening because of how good the first 2 were. It felt like the entire thing was pandering to Dark Souls Youtubers and people who liked to pretend they could be Dark Souls Youtubers.

edit: The thing that made DS1+2 so good IMO is that they were essentially games of observation, situational awareness and waiting for the right moment to strike. They were games about being a timid knight in a big clunky suit of armor and cowering in your booties but eventually winning via cowardice and patience, whereas Bloodborne and DS3 feel like they're trying to be serious action combat games and whiffing in the wake of actual good serious action combat games like devil may cry, bayonetta, ninja gaiden, etc. Sekiro was alright because it tried to do its own thing but doesn't hold a candle to DS1/DS2. Elden Ring looks dope though.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 16, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 days!)

deep dish peat moss posted:

I played the poo poo out of Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2. I bought each one on multiple platforms and played through each one like 4-5 times, and beating a game much less replaying it is incredibly rare for me. I was more excited for DS3 than anyone.

Except I literally forgot that I beat Dark Souls 3 until I looked at a list of bosses last month and went "Oh, I remember all of those, I guess I did beat it." There was nothing memorable about it - none of the environments, NPCs, weapons, or bosses stand out to me and I can't even remember them without looking them up.

The combat systems had slowly mutated over time and over subsequent games but it just sucked in DS3. Shields were neutered and enemies were given tons of huge, sweeping attacks that came out extremely fast which forced you into a few distinct playstyles like "parry everything" or "roll in, hit once, roll away". It wasn't even 'difficult' so much as your avenues of approach to attack enemies had been minimized and constrained so much so that you would have to "git good" (e.g. learn perfect parry timing or memorize attack patterns and opening timing to weave a calculated amount of attacks in between dodges), instead of "git good" it was more like "learn to become a round peg so you can go in the round hole". Every method of player power from the first two games was heavily nerfed, like poise, heavy shields, weapons with huge reach, etc. so it felt incredibly constricted and guided into a specific playstyle.

The only memorable enemy was the big rat/cat thing that was maybe a mimic or something and I think showed up one time in the entire game?

Anyway, Dark Souls 3 was an incredibly bad game and completely misunderstood what made Dark Souls games good and it was disheartening because of how good the first 2 were. It felt like the entire thing was pandering to Dark Souls Youtubers and people who liked to pretend they could be Dark Souls Youtubers.

edit: The thing that made DS1+2 so good IMO is that they were essentially games of observation, situational awareness and waiting for the right moment to strike, whereas Bloodborne and DS3 feel like they're trying to be serious action combat games and whiffing in the wake of actual good serious action combat games like devil may cry, bayonetta, ninja gaiden, etc. Sekiro was alright because it tried to do its own thing but doesn't hold a candle to DS1/DS2. Elden Ring looks dope though.

I think you're exagerrating on the differences between 3 and the the first two, which are just as different from each other as 3 is, if not more so. I agree that enemies in 3 are generally faster due to bloodborne influence and this can ramp up the difficulty in certain spots, but it's not the entire game, and it isn't every boss. It's still basically just a Dark Souls game.

I've played each of them at different times now, replayed them all at least a bit. They are not that different. I think when people have hugely diverging opinions on the dark souls games individually, it's because they came to the games in diverging moods for whatever reason - experience with other games, less patience, worn out on the formula, whatever. It isn't because one of them is a piece of poo poo game or fucks up the formula.

All 3 of the dark souls games have slightly different areas of strength and weakness but the core experience is the same.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dark Souls 3 is fundamentally different in that it nerfed the poo poo out of shields which dramatically changed everything about the game and the pacing of its combat for the reasons discussed in my last post

e: I think it did anyway. It was all so forgettable that I can't remember but if I remember right there wasn't a single shield that was even worth using because they all had their stability tanked so low that it just blows out your stamina to block a hit

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 days!)

i dunno where you're getting that from. there are 100% armour shields, the same variety as the other three in terms of magic defenses, greatshields, etc. Maybe there is some increase in stamina consumption when blocking hits if you put the games up against each other, I'm not saying that it's identical, I'm just saying it's a big exaggeration. I just played 2 and 3 back to back a couple of months ago and if anything DS3 is more generous with the stamina.