Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Corkage is the other way around - it’s for when people want to being a very nice or special bottle. It doesn’t usually work out economical to bring a cheap one and pay the extra, at that point you may as well just buy wine there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Variable 5 posted:

Law firms, title offices, realtors, car dealers. Any business that has to deal with contracts will probably have at least one on staff. And the pricing is usually regulated by law.

Yeah. Finding a notary real quick like is probably one of the easier things you'll ever need to do when it comes to paperwork. They're basically everywhere.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

cumshitter posted:

$2,000 for anal is a perfectly normal budget.

this would be a great thread title if posts were allowed :hmmyes:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Red Oktober posted:

Corkage is the other way around - it’s for when people want to being a very nice or special bottle. It doesn’t usually work out economical to bring a cheap one and pay the extra, at that point you may as well just buy wine there.
Yeah, paying a corking fee to drink wine with a penguin or a kangaroo on the bottle is some real "I can only eat sliced hot dogs" stuff.

In Philly, there are a lot of restaurants who don't take credit cards and don't sell alcohol because they don't want to pay the fees. Some of them offer BYOB as an incentive; they'll even put it on ice for you.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

cumshitter posted:

$2,000 for anal is a perfectly normal budget.
What about the cost of lube ?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

pentyne posted:

Isn't this the whole point of like a $50 "corking" fee?

Let trash taste havers enjoy their trash wine and just collect free money off them.

Part of the joy of going to a nice place, especially something that has three Michelin stars, is sharing the experience with somebody else. Obviously there can be room for different tastes, but someone who's so indifferent that they bring they're own go-to bottle of whatever probably isn't going to be much fun to eat with. And if they can't bother to even just play along for something the other person probably considers a special occasion, then they probably aren't much fun to be with generally.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

packetmantis posted:

Aren't there notaries in every Kinko's and post office? How is a "notary business" even a thing?

Pretty much.

The only "notary business" I'm aware of are people who contract for mortgage originators and have to show up at your home with a pile of refi paperwork for you to sign and them to notarize. Seems like quite a poo poo existence, as it's basically UberNotary.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Part of the joy of going to a nice place, especially something that has three Michelin stars, is sharing the experience with somebody else. Obviously there can be room for different tastes, but someone who's so indifferent that they bring they're own go-to bottle of whatever probably isn't going to be much fun to eat with. And if they can't bother to even just play along for something the other person probably considers a special occasion, then they probably aren't much fun to be with generally.

go on, tell us what his sign is

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Bonster posted:

AITA for pointing out an allergy to a worker

I think this (probably non-existent) person is really stupid. Fun game - guess the many reasons why!

This is definitely a Karen that's trying to paint the story as 'educational' after berating a service worker for 20 minutes over a minor issue

quantumwell posted:

Amazon has 50 gallon lube drums for dirt cheap, it's usually the butthole that's expensive

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Wine guy wasn't going to a fancy restaurant, he was going to a party hosted by his sister in law, who is a chef but he says they were going to her home. So he showed up to a fancy party, hosted by family, presumably high quality food, with a cheapo bottle of wine. And on the way his wife broke her shoes and got rained on while he proclaimed how lovely the weather was. Gee, I wonder why they're in counseling.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I think everyone is missing the post I put above - the poster is just doing a bit by taking a song about a couple who go to visit the wife’s sister on broadway and can’t agree on wine. It’s literally a song, it’s all over TikTok at the minute.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

I think everyone is missing the post I put above - the poster is just doing a bit by taking a song about a couple who go to visit the wife’s sister on broadway and can’t agree on wine. It’s literally a song, it’s all over TikTok at the minute.

actually the song is based on this very story. pay attention

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Red Oktober posted:

Why would I, a guy in his mid to late 30s, be on TikTok to know this?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

cumshitter posted:

$2,000 for anal is a perfectly normal budget. Hell, on the retirement planning packets I give to clients it's even listed as a monthly expense. Along with questions like, "Do you believe your anal expenditures will increase, decrease, or hold even post-retirement?"

Hahaha.

"someone who is good at sex please help me budget this. my marriage is dying"

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Notary sister wanting to practice on their mortgage document reminds me of the guy who convinced his friend to give him power of attorney and then did random poo poo to his financea so he could put it his law school application.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Red Oktober posted:

I'm extremely proud of my ignorance in this matter.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
AITA for refusing to take my name of the deed to my mother in laws home ?

quote:

Me and my partner have been together for 8 years, married for 2 of them.

5 years ago we bought a home together a small 2 bedroom unit just to see if we could coexist without killing one another with the intention of only staying a few years before we got married and then upgraded to something larger.

3 years on we had enough of a deposit to do just that when my partners mother came to us asking for help. She wanted to buy a place but didn't have anything in the way of savings. she was tired of renting as it was becoming more and more expensive.

We talked about the issue knowing that if we agreed to help it meant delaying our own upgrade buy a further 3 years at minimum. with some hesitation on our part we never the less did the right thing and helped out his mother by giving her 90k (the sum total of all our savings at the time, making it clear it was just a loan) and she bought a place also with the aid of her other son.

Recently my partner has been talking to me about getting my name taken off the documentation to the house (so it is only her name and 2 sons on all the paperwork) . I know his mother has been in his ear about it because he only ever brings it up after a solo visit to her.

For a while I avoided the conversation but recently my husband has had an actual conversation with a lawyer to draw up paperwork to have my name legally removed.

When I found out I told my husband we needed to have a serious talk and I told him honestly that I would not remove my name from the documentation because, to date his mother has not paid either of us back a single cent of the money we lent her.

This angered my Husband who said I had agreed to take my name off the documentation that's why he spoke to a lawyer in the first place. When I insisted I never agreed and that I was just protecting us both by insisting our names stay on all the documentation he called me paranoid that his mother would never cheat us.

Now I feel guilty, AITA for refusing to remove my name from the documentation seeing as I did help pay for the place she bought, and without our help she would still be stuck renting.

Give me your future home.

Some choice comments:

quote:

If MIL is bad at money management, there is a fair possibility that she actually needs more money, and that you are an obstacle in her getting a second mortgage, while steamrolling the sons to agree would be much easier.

quote:

I didn't think of that. But if that is the case I will do my best not to let my Husband get sucked in any deeper.

We have both been saving for our upgrade home and I'll be damned if I have to delay again, I want out of this drat unit

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

quantumwell posted:

Not to mention the corkage fee!

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

cumshitter posted:

AITA for refusing to take my name of the deed to my mother in laws home ?
with some hesitation on our part we never the less did the right thing and helped out his mother by giving her 90k (the sum total of all our savings at the time, making it clear it was just a loan) and she bought a place also with the aid of her other son
She still thinks this is the right thing to do. You shouldn't loan someone the down payment on a house.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nice new avatar.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
To date the mother hasn't paid them back a cent and it's an interest free loan where they didn't even bother to establish any kind of timeline. MIL apparently has a decent job.

Quackles posted:

Nice new avatar.

Thanks it replaced something pretty awful. Plus I think I've had like 20 av changes in the last month.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Bringing your own favorite bottle of cheap piss to someone's house is 100% OK. I don't do it myself, I'm usually the guy hosting the fancy party, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with people sticking with their preferred flavour of poison in a genre of acquired tastes.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

packetmantis posted:

Aren't there notaries in every Kinko's and post office? How is a "notary business" even a thing?

I once had to notarize a document with a dude who had an extremely tight schedule that precludes him from possibly going to any of the free notaries because they all have limited hours. We called 10 minutes ahead of time and a woman took a break from watching Netflix to stamp poo poo on her front porch in her pajamas for a 20. That’s how a notary business is a thing.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

PancakeTransmission posted:

Why would I, a guy in his mid to late 30s, be on TikTok to know this?

Oh god, it’s not a TikTok song or anything, Christ, that would be tragic. It’s a proper off-broadway musical starting in 2008. Just it’s had a renaissance on TikTok in the last couple of weeks, which is where I’m guessing the poster got the idea from.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 15, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Boba Pearl posted:

AITA for wanting to bring my favorite wine to dinner?

You're not the rear end in a top hat, but you are basic and slightly annoying.

Edit: If it was to someone's house it's fine to bring whatever, it's just a small courtesy and will usually immediately be shoved into a closet or wine fridge; the host should be serving their wine anyway. I thought he was insisting on drinking trash at a resturant.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 15, 2021

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

Oh god, it’s not a TikTok song or anything, Christ, that would be tragic. It’s a proper off-broadway musical starting in 2008.

:allears:

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I once had to notarize a document with a dude who had an extremely tight schedule that precludes him from possibly going to any of the free notaries because they all have limited hours. We called 10 minutes ahead of time and a woman took a break from watching Netflix to stamp poo poo on her front porch in her pajamas for a 20. That’s how a notary business is a thing.

Just do that 4999 more times and bing bang boom there's your six figure income

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Boba Pearl posted:

AITA for wanting to bring my favorite wine to dinner?

Guys it's much better in the original format:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXzI-QD56PI

It was a tiktok trend recently.

E: beaten

Yolo Swaggins Esq fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 16, 2021

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

OGDanDogg posted:

You put them in a bouncer/playpen and do the cooking, dishes, laundry, etc.
Was just thinking that this would be my technique too. I have a friend with a two-year-old who is very free range. Every time this kid starts moving towards the road/creek/wherever I have a quiet panic attack. Little kids need leashes. They knew this back in the old days.

Uncle ShortyB posted:

This is just too god drat cute I love it.

Anyway, talking about PII and poo poo like that at my job has me thinking a certain type of way so make way for some content!!!

AITA for not giving my sister our mortgage paperwork?
I spent some time with the friend mentioned above over the weekend and we talked about how completely willing people have been to expose her child to illnesses, like they just absolutely do not give a poo poo about reasonable precautions that everybody should take around infants, or should take in general in a pandemic. I cannot get over that. There was a measles outbreak before covid (measles is extremely dangerous for babies) and people wouldn't even wash their hands when they visited.

Speaking of people like this,

quote:

Our daughter and her husband had their first child at the start of the pandemic, and suddenly, my daughter didn’t want anything to do with me. I had reached out to offer help, ask if I could stop by, called just to talk, you know, like a normal parent does, and every time, I felt that she was upset about something. So, I would wait two weeks or so and call or text again. Each time I did so, I felt more and more rejected. Last Thanksgiving, my husband and I hosted the family dinner. At the end of the evening, both my daughter and her husband yelled at me because they thought I had broken one of their rules. Our only granddaughter doesn’t know us. We weren’t invited to her first birthday at her other grandparents’ home, though both our sons and significant others were there. My husband has unfollowed her on Instagram, and I only look at her posts during moments I’m feeling very brave. I still don’t know why we aren’t welcome in their lives, and don’t know if I ever will. Holidays are so hard.
"My daughter, who was caring for a newborn baby during a pandemic, didn't have time to talk on the phone and didn't want me to physically come over during (again) a pandemic. Then she and her husband thought I broke one of her rules. What was the rule? It doesn't matter, because her rules don't matter. Anyway, why won't my daughter have a relationship with me? It makes no sense!"

quote:

Jaylene, a widow whose only daughter is estranged, said she recently looked in the mirror and—in her words—saw a cold-hearted mother staring back. “I decided not to give my estranged daughter holiday gifts this year,” she said. “I’ve become indifferent. I guess I’ve healed so well that I no longer care.”
. . . .

With support, Jaylene made decisions about the holidays that sustained her self-growth and forward focus. She would send an e-card because it didn’t feel “right” not to acknowledge the holidays—and admitting her hope was honest. She would not send a gift or otherwise reach out though because that would feel like stepping backward into pleasing-her-daughter mode. She could live with this decision. It didn’t mean she was a bad person, cold-hearted, or even indifferent.
I love how everything about the situation is about her. Even giving gifts, which is supposed to be about the other person, is about her.

AceClown posted:

I remember a throwaway chapter in on of the Belgariad books where they have to take shelter in this house and it's a family of total narcissist horrible people. Anyway, when they leave Garion is all like "holy poo poo they are terrible people, we should do something" and Beldin I think is all like "if you can think of a better punishment than letting these vile people live out the rest of their lives, never finding happiness, in each others company then by all means share it" and Garion is all like "daaaamn that's fuckin cold, but also fair"

anyway, it's been 20 years since I read those books and this thread makes me think of that chapter often, thanks for coming to my TED talk.
It really is sort of horrible, though, knowing that they're stuck like this. No matter how much they make other people suffer, those people can escape. Theoretically they could go through some intense therapy, but they never do. They're stuck with themselves.

Estranged parents are a drug and I am addicted.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for telling my son that I was embarrassed to call him my son, and I hoped his wife left him?

quote:

I love my son a lot, but honestly, Hailey Would be better off without him. I know how that sounds, but she would be. He is the definition of deadweight, in part because she enables him. At times I am legitimately ashamed to call him my son.

He has no job, and refuses to look for 1 outside of his niche field (petroleum engineer). He’s dependent upon his wife and provides nothing to her financially, emotionally, or domestically.

Today his daughter had to come home from school, and Hailey called me asking if I could. I asked why he couldn’t, and she said…..”he stayed up late last night, and needs his sleep”……I mean, seriously? I swear I just feel embarrassed to call him my son sometimes.

I picked her up and brought her home, went in the house to wake up my son, and we argued a bit, before I told him he needed to, “man up, and start bringing something to the table”. He lectured me for saying man up instead of grow up. And I told him That when he acted like this I was embarrassed to call him my son. He apparently told his wife about it (figures), and she says I was to harsh and he’s, “trying his best”. I told my son I hope his wife gets out of the relationship, and he told me to F off. So respectful. My husband also agreed with my daughter-in-law.

To the ones saying that they can afford to have him lay around. My husband and I have had to pay their rent for them in the past. Which my husband doesn’t mind.

Mom knows what's up with the man-child she raised.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
AITA for yelling at my daughter for flipping off my food?

quote:

My 17 year old daughter enjoys flipping things off. Yes, that means giving the finger, flipping the bird, presenting the one fingered salute - whatever name you like to use. I don't know why she does it, but everybody else (my wife and my children) think it's the funniest thing they've ever seen.

She will walk up to the animals and present her middle finger right between their eyes. If there is a character she doesn't like in a movie or a TV show, she will flip them off until they leave the screen. If somebody has a dish she doesn't like, she will thrust her middle finger onto the plate. Never touching the food, but only barely. It's the height of bad manners, and I can't help but feel that I failed as a parent for not teaching her manners correctly.

Just the other day I was making a salad to go with dinner that had olives, and because my daughter HATES olives, she decided to walk right up to my bowl, stick her hand inside, and flip off my food! Her knuckle was barely an inch from my Iceberg lettuce! Not only is it unsanitary, but it's disrespectful to the food I put time and effort to prepare for my family.

I calmly asked her to not stick her rude finger into my salad because it was rude, unsanitary, and I didn't know if she washed her hands or not. She simply replied, "but you know I hate olives, dad," in a snotty tone. Enough was enough, I had talked to her in the past and asked her very nicely to not flip anything off anymore, so I forcibly removed her hand from the bowl and yelled at her to get out of the kitchen and go live outside with the dog if she wanted to behave like an animal.

Later, my wife told me that I shouldn't have blown up at her and that I need to "lighten up". I asked her if she would like it if our daughter kept flipping off her food, and she shrugged and said "well, I don't put olives in things she will be eating". I don't think I was unreasonable by my actions, but my wife sure thinks I was. AITA?

TL;DR; daughter flipped off my salad, I told her off, and now my wife is mad and thinks I'm an rear end in a top hat.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Hughlander posted:

AITA for telling my son that I was embarrassed to call him my son, and I hoped his wife left him?

this one could easily be an unreliable narrator, but still lol

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

If my kid did this I would have a hard time not laughing my rear end off about it

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

teen witch posted:

soda chat:

American sodas that own: regular barqs root beer gently caress I’ll take any loving root beer rn, Surge (RIP), Mt Dew midnight black, Pepsi blue, sprite remix, Polar orange dry (hot take: better than orangina), Mr. Pibb if I’m feeling esoteric, Moxie, Penn Dutch Birch Beer, Faygo Rockin Red

Swedish sodas that own: Trocadero (OG owns but zero is passable), Pepsi Max (every flavor except the syrupy Mango one ew), Cuba Cola, Vanilla Coke Zero (the cinnamon one owns too, mango and strawb suck, lemon…eh), Irn Bru (occasionally I can find it here but it’s SO good)

I'm skipping at least 30 pages to say this, but it's important.

Get yourself over the border to Norway. We were the original test market for Surge, and it has never been out of production here - though they tinkered with the name when they launched it internationally; it's "Urge" here.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

hawowanlawow posted:

this one could easily be an unreliable narrator, but still lol

I'd guess mental health issues are at play and the mom doesn't believe in depression

He could also just be dysfunctional for completely different reasons though

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
AITA for getting frustrated with my boyfriend for implying I don't deserve to make the money I make?

quote:

I'm a 28 year old woman and I got really lucky to get the job I have right now.

I studied electrical and computer engineering in college, and job hopped 4 times.

Each time I switched jobs, I negotiated really hard for pay and benefits. I am making 160 grand now, working remotely, and living in a very low cost of living area.

It's a really nice gig, and I recognize I'm extremely lucky to have interests that line up with a super well paying industry, and suuuper lucky to have been able to go to college at all.

But despite that, I feel like I did work to deserve it somewhat, college was super demanding and difficult, my first few jobs had greuling schedules, and I feel like I'm being paid more for the knowledge I built over all that time.

But still I have to admit it's pretty cushy, I never work over 40 hours a week, my coworkers never contact me about work outside of my 9 to 5, I get paid stupid good money for it, and I have 2 months vacation time

So onto the conflict...

My boyfriend used to work outside the home, he is an IT admin at a large company. But because of the pandemic, his job became partially remote. So we're working out of the same house and I think he sees how different our jobs and pay are.

He makes 65 grand a year and works a lot longer hours, he usually starts his day at 7 or 8 am and works till 6 or 7 pm, he more often has to work weekends to do IT stuff, and he is on call for emergencies with his personal phone... And it seems like they're having emergencies every week.

So... Since we've been working from home together, he makes comments about it occasionally. Like "must be nice" kinds of things.

Recently he's gotten more frustrated with me though. Yesterday I had a bad headache so I told my boss that I was going be away from my desk for a while since I wasn't feeling well. I blocked out a 2 hour "meeting" on my calendar so people wouldn't try and reach me and took a nap. My boyfriend saw me napping during work and said "they're really paying you to sleep, huh"

I snapped at him saying that they were paying me for my skills, and that I didn't care for the way he had been talking about my job.

He said something petty about my skills at napping and shooting the poo poo on zoom, and how that's definitely worth 6 figures, and I got really irritated and said that just because he was underpaid doesn't mean that he could call me overpaid, if he was mad he should go take that out on his boss not me.

He said that I was being ridiculous, he'd be in the poo poo at work if he did. I said maybe he needs to find a better job if his boss isn't ready to talk money.

He called me privileged and out of touch and said that it isn't that easy to just go find a better job.

I said that if you don't try your never going to know.

He got irritated and stormed out.

AITA for how I talked to my boyfriend about work?
The evergreen advice that actually applies to both parties in this situation:
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/979810839749210112?lang=en

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Hughlander posted:

The Petroleum Engineer can't find a job when gas prices are rising? Also lol that petroleum engineer is a "niche field. "

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

"deserve" has nothin to do with how much people get paid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gadzuko posted:

AITA for getting frustrated with my boyfriend for implying I don't deserve to make the money I make?

The evergreen advice that actually applies to both parties in this situation:
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/979810839749210112?lang=en

throwing a giant fussy baby tantrum bc my girlfriend makes enough money for like three households and I really wanna gently caress that up