Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

If anyone wants a truly excellent explainer on COVID transmission to send to friends and family, a Spanish scientific magazine put out this great article: https://elpais.com/especiales/coronavirus-covid-19/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air/

edit: Oh no pet tax--here is Justice doing what he does best (sleeping)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

tagesschau posted:

It's nothing of the sort, and you know full well that you're lying.

"there is no way this society could do something better than us despite all evidence to the contrary"

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Vasukhani posted:

"there is no way this society could do something better than us despite all evidence to the contrary"

Not actually a thing I said. I'll take your failure to point out any instance of racism as an admission that your accusation was completely spurious.

fartman
Sep 19, 2021
I'd be really curious to see if countries like the Netherlands et al have infection numbers broken down by age with this new wave. In Quebec, 91% of 12+ has their first dose (79.7% total pop), and so roughly 43% of new cases come from unvaccinated under 12s.

As far as the gap between unvaccinated infection and vaccinated, unvaxxed daily infections here are at around 20-25 per 100k while vaxxed at are around 3.5 per 100k. This is with enforced masking indoors as well as passports for entering places like restaurants, theaters etc.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Vasukhani posted:

Deaths

Combined with your other posts, it's hard to read this as anything other than "the economy is more important than the populace's happiness", which is a take, I guess.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

enki42 posted:

Combined with your other posts, it's hard to read this as anything other than "the economy is more important than the populace's happiness", which is a take, I guess.

No. It's that an effective COVID strategy mitigates suffering on all levels. We chose mass suffering in exchange for ... "free expression" -- which is a fake idea for selling stuff.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
The fire department removing me from my burning home is ruining my free choice to melt to death

there is no meaningful freedom now. It doesn't exist. We killed a million so people got to choose between blue cup stimulant and green cup stimulant.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Vasukhani posted:

No. It's that an effective COVID strategy mitigates suffering on all levels. We chose mass suffering in exchange for ... "free expression" -- which is a fake idea for selling stuff.

Post more about how you take away your wive's cell phone to keep her from contacting other people because she's not as smart as you and needs you to control her and how you use a fake shotgun to threaten your neighbors but have a list of people you'd actually kill if you ever got the chance.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

People arent saying that covid zero is impossible, they're saying it's impossible here and I mean, are they wrong? If you're winding yourself up for another supervillain post I only kindly ask that you take a break from posting instead

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Post more about how you take away your wive's cell phone to keep her from contacting other people because she's not as smart as you and needs you to control her and how you use a fake shotgun to threaten your neighbors but have a list of people you'd actually kill if you ever got the chance.

What the gently caress are you actually talking about mate? I'm not and never have been married and never plan on being. I am literally so unaware of your personal forum rivalries that I'm unsure if you have mistaken me for someone else or are literally in the grips of a delusion.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 15, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah I don't think the dude who was previously probed in this thread for posting about how individual human lives are meaningless and it makes no difference if one dies at 2 years old or 80, and we should all enthusiastically welcome vivisection is posting in good faith about reducing human suffering.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yeah I don't think the dude who was previously probed in this thread for posting about how individual human lives are meaningless and it makes no difference if one dies at 2 years old or 80, and we should all enthusiastically welcome vivisection is posting in good faith about reducing human suffering.

Suffering is bad. Death is just a thing.

Sorry I am very depressed and subject people to my internal misery. sorry thread

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I mean I don't see a huge amount of value being put on individual lives from the "learn to live with the virus" crowd either.

e: I'm not sure how well and for how long society limps along, either. Netherlands is at a high vax rate and they're going into lockdowns again. My kids' daycare just had to shut down for two weeks due to an outbreak; that's probably 80 families who are suddenly without child care again from one school. My wife is a teacher and has 10 or so kids out in quarantine/isolation right now. I can see and hear how completely burnt out my kids' pediatrician is. How is anything supposed to stabilize at all as we keep accepting mass illness and mass death? How is emergency medicine ever going to recover?

enki42 posted:

Is the population that has lived mostly lockdown free and without mass sickness and death for the past two years more or less happy than those that continue to suffer over a thousand deaths a day with no end in sight?

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 15, 2021

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vasukhani posted:

Sorry I am very depressed and subject people to my internal misery. sorry thread

Being depressed and posting about it is the overarching theme of COVID threads unfortunately. People here are as helpless against the forces of history making this awful as you are, is the thing to keep in mind, even those among us who are doing monitoring for the NSA

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

brugroffil posted:

Is the population that has lived mostly lockdown free and without mass sickness and death for the past two years more or less happy than those that continue to suffer over a thousand deaths a day with no end in sight?

I wouldn't have made that comment for anyone other than Vasukhani, if someone wants to post "hey China is doing well" all by itself, that's a fine discussion point, if its "Look you can have a good GDP by controlling COVID and that's why we need mass incarceration for literally everyone and nerve staplings ASAP" it's a different story.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Vasukhani posted:

Well for the record in this case you are spot on.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Vasukhani posted:

Have you ever had a burger? They are actually super tasty and good.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

UnoriginalMind posted:

Can you please be a tankie elsewhere? Your solutions are utterly inhuman. Nothing you say has value or worth.

So is this direct and personal attack on another poster just going to be ignored and allowed by the mods here?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Thread reminder: If you see someone posting wild and unhinged takes in here, you can always report the post, move on, and not engage with them. Do some of you also feel compelled to argue with ranting street preachers?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

No tankie? No, thank ye

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Professor Beetus posted:

Thread reminder: If you see someone posting wild and unhinged takes in here, you can always report the post, move on, and not engage with them. Do some of you also feel compelled to argue with ranting street preachers?

I have no problem telling them they are a loving clown as I walk past

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm sure China is doing a lot better than most of the west but there's no way there isn't some "nobody dies at Disneyland" going on with those statistics, come on.

"A+??? You know, a D changes into a B so easily, you just got greedy."

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 15, 2021

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Interesting open-to-the-public talk on an underdiscussed topic at my school this week:

COVID-19 and Political Economy, Part I: Structural Racism
Wednesday, November 17, 2021
11:30 AM – 12:45 PM EST

A discussion on the COVID-19 pandemic's social, political, and economic context, and what society can do to not repeat the history

Structural racism is embedded within the fabric of American culture, infrastructure investments, and public policy that fundamentally drives inequities. The same racism that has driven the systematic dismantling of the American social safety net has also created the policy recipe for American structural vulnerability to the impacts of this and other pandemics. The Bronx provides an important case study for investigating the historical roots of structural inequities showcased by this pandemic; current lived experiences of Bronx residents are rooted in the racialized dismantling of New York City’s public infrastructure and systematic disinvestment.

In this session, we will review global health crises in the human history must be understood within the broader social, political and economic context, apply such review to the case of the Bronx borough during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, raise policy, historical, comparative, and normative issues about the impact of and challenges/responses to the current pandemic, and discuss what we as a society can do to not repeat the history.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/covid-19-and-political-economy-part-i-structural-racism-tickets-190439849717

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I have no problem telling them they are a loving clown as I walk past

Then you'll eat a probe for it. As long as you are okay with that.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

This is a weird pair of posts to make one page apart. Do you think we can live with covid as 4xFlu without cycling lockdowns or not?

The problem is really that no matter how much anyone thinks society should deal with X number of covid deaths/year no country has managed to control covid without at least the threat of potential lockdowns in perpetuity, as evidenced by the Netherlands and other European countries locking down again. South Korea is talking about a potential circuit breaker lockdown too. There might be the odd exception like Portugal but they are still rolling the dice and I'm sure Portuguese people and the government are worrying about whether restrictions would be reintroduced. The idea that we can just live our lives without lockdowns and restrictions and throw a certain number of people into the covid pit hasn't been demonstrated in practice anywhere, except perhaps by the USA which should be a cautionary tale rather than an example.

My concern was that if winter lockdowns become the norm in highly vaccinated societies (presumably, at this point, just to flatten the curve and avoid smashing the hospital system) then that loving sucks and I'd rather go back to Australia having closed borders and another crack at COVID-zero.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Mellow Seas posted:

I'm sure China is doing a lot better than most of the west but there's no way there isn't some "nobody dies at Disneyland" going on with those statistics, come on.

"A+??? You know, a D changes into a B so easily, you just got greedy."

I'm sure their strategy of immediately sending police to kill your dog if you get Covid is helping drive these Covid report numbers down.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fritz the Horse posted:

Counterpoint: I find "we must destroy the concepts of religion, the soul, individuality, and free will so that we may become an ant colony" darkly amusing.

edit: I don't think it's particularly good that their posts sound like an anime villain and/or Chairman Yang from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. But it's certainly A Thing.

He's right though we will be much happier without free will.

Have you ever tried free will, contemplated a universe of endless possibilities, millions of which will be closed off forever by every decision you make, with no way for you to even know most of what you're giving up sight unseen every moment of every day?? It sucks!!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

He's right though we will be much happier without free will.

Have you ever tried free will, contemplated a universe of endless possibilities, millions of which will be closed off forever by every decision you make, with no way for you to even know most of what you're giving up sight unseen every moment of every day?? It sucks!!

Eh it's okay

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

freebooter posted:

My concern was that if winter lockdowns become the norm in highly vaccinated societies (presumably, at this point, just to flatten the curve and avoid smashing the hospital system) then that loving sucks and I'd rather go back to Australia having closed borders and another crack at COVID-zero.

Related but unrelated thought.

While Zero Covid gets poo poo on here as unrealistic, long term it should absolutely be a goal. There seems to be, however, little impetus or urgency to develop sterilizing vaccines for Covid, just as there is in other costly solutions that hurt capital but would go a long way toward slowing the spread.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Rad Russian posted:

I'm sure their strategy of immediately sending police to kill your dog if you get Covid is helping drive these Covid report numbers down.

For what it's worth, the treatment of pets during Covid outbreaks differs dramatically by location in China. The Corgi killing that's making the rounds currently happened in a backwaters, though there have been similar reports in the past from other places. In Shanghai, pets evidently get a royal treatment. Independent of all other China stuff, I suspect this is more a case of local yokels overstepping rather than some central policy.

(Before I get dogpiled — pun intended — note that I'm just pointing out some of the nuances of this case, not making any claims about China otherwise.)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gio posted:

Related but unrelated thought.

While Zero Covid gets poo poo on here as unrealistic, long term it should absolutely be a goal. There seems to be, however, little impetus or urgency to develop sterilizing vaccines for Covid, just as there is in other costly solutions that hurt capital but would go a long way toward slowing the spread.
I'm not sure a "sterilizing vaccine" is actually a different thing. I'm not 100% sure it's even possible to develop such a thing; it's an outcome of high community vaccination rates.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

dwarf74 posted:

I'm not sure a "sterilizing vaccine" is actually a different thing. I'm not 100% sure it's even possible to develop such a thing; it's an outcome of high community vaccination rates.

My (somewhat educated layman's) understanding of immunology and respiratory diseases is that the mRNA vaccines are actually surprisingly good at producing sterilizing immunity, it just wanes rapidly compared to protection against severe disease.

It's quite difficult to make sterilizing vaccines against respiratory diseases. Oral/nasal vaccines might be helpful there (crank up the IgA) but I haven't read much on that. I'm sure that is being researched.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Don’t be pedantic. The current vaccines are not capable of achieving sterilizing immunity, however you define it, in the way past vaccines have been capable of doing.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

IIRC the mRNA vaccines did have a fairly high level of sterilizing immunity against the original COVID strain and Alpha, just less so against Delta (although it does still offer protection against Delta infection, just less than prior variants).

But the idea that we don't have an 100% sterilizing immunity vaccine because capitalism and we just don't want to or something is really bizarre. No vaccine has ever been 100% effective, and the fact we got the effectiveness that we did against a novel coronavirus already was a miracle of modern science.

Seriously capitalism sucks, I agree, and you can easily point to the damage done by it with regards to lifting restrictions and whatnot. But the idea that it's responsible for us not magically having an 100% sterilizing vaccine is a bit weird.

Gio posted:

Don’t be pedantic. The current vaccines are not capable of achieving sterilizing immunity, however you define it, in the way past vaccines have been capable of doing.

Do you think it's equally easy to make a vaccine against every disease? That's not how it works. This type of virus is a bitch and a half to make an effective vaccine against compared to things you're probably thinking of like smallpox.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 16, 2021

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

IIRC the mRNA vaccines did have a fairly high level of sterilizing immunity against the original COVID strain and Alpha, just less so against Delta (although it does still offer protection against Delta infection, just less than prior variants).

But the idea that we don't have an 100% sterilizing immunity vaccine because capitalism and we just don't want to or something is really bizarre. No vaccine has ever been 100% effective, and the fact we got the effectiveness that we did against a novel coronavirus already was a miracle of modern science.

Seriously capitalism sucks, I agree, and you can easily point to the damage done by it with regards to lifting restrictions and whatnot. But the idea that it's responsible for us not magically having an 100% sterilizing vaccine is a bit weird.

I didn’t claim we don’t currently have one because of capitalism. I’m claiming that there is little impetus or urgency to develop one now that the current batch have allowed countries to rationalize removing all NPIs.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gio posted:

Like which ones? There is no vaccine I know of that's perfectly sterilizing - measles isn't, smallpox wasn't, etc.

I'm not being pedantic - I genuinely don't think perfectly sterilizing vaccines are an achievable goal for covid, particularly delta, and not really a thing we should expect of any vaccine. Prior vaccines look better because (a) there wasn't as much awareness or testing of asymptomatic infections, and (b) there were much higher community vaccination rates.

e: The most probable good outcome is that vaccination rates get so high, and post-infection treatments so good, that it becomes rarely severe or fatal. I don't think this is a failure of medicine or lack of will, this is just how vaccines work.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 16, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Gio posted:

I didn’t claim we don’t currently have one because of capitalism. I’m claiming that there is little impetus or urgency to develop one now that the current batch have allowed countries to rationalize removing all NPIs.

What would that even look like though? It's pretty clear that every approach we're currently aware of was used to develop COVID vaccines (since there's generally something available that uses every method we know of except maybe live virus vaccines?). It's hard to realistically mandate "Invent a new technology we're completely unaware of to produce better vaccines, and then use that to make a COVID vaccine", and even countries that are aggressively pursuing elimination like China don't appear to have any realistic way to approach an initiative like that.

I'm sure that fundamental research towards different approaches to making vaccines occurs, just like it always has (and probably moreso now that more attention is being paid to things like vaccines), but you can't really set targets and goals on fundamental research like that.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

You know, you guys are right. This is the best we can do.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

dwarf74 posted:

(Usual disclaimer - not an immunologist, just someone who's been indoors for too long)

It is a possible thing, just not a *likely* thing. Antibodies (generated either through vaccination or through prior infection) attach to various parts of a virus to tag it for the rest of the immune system to come deal with it - if you get lucky, the antibodies attach to a part of the virus that is essential for it to infect cells, so the virus is completely nullified the moment an antibody hits it.

If the antibody attaches to some other part of the virus, it has a chance to infect a cell before a white blood cell turns up to finish the job, which can take several hours even in the blood stream, and even longer if (as with covid and other respiratory illnesses) it attacks cells that are poorly served by white blood cells. In that case the virus can replicate with merry abandon for days - and the fact that it's replicating in your respiratory system means it can be easily spread to other people in that time, too. It's not *impossible* - almost all of the smallpox vaccines manage it, for example - but it's a matter of luck as to whether or not a given vaccine will generate sterilising antibodies.

The obvious solution now we have mRNA vaccines is to develop one that replicates the actual protein that unlocks the cell to let the virus in - except that's almost always a copy of a protein that one or more of your body systems needs to function (in the case of SARS-CoV-2 this is the ACE2 receptor which is essential to multiple organs) - training your immune system to attack this would be, to use the medical term, a really loving bad idea. So you have to target the bits around it (this is the "spike protein" that you've probably heard being shouted about by people who think Bill Gates has made their dick stop working) and hope that you accidentally hit one that disrupts the specific sequence of infection without making you allergic to your own heart. For obvious reasons they tend to err very much on the side of caution with this.

(Incidentally there is a theory - and some very low-quality evidence *so far* - that this might be behind at least some of the symptoms of Long Covid, because your body is attacking some processes using ACE2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gio posted:

You know, you guys are right. This is the best we can do.
You're asking for something that may not be medically possible. That's not a failure of will. Honestly, it's kind of lovely to suggest the folks who invented a whole new kind of vaccine once already this pandemic just aren't trying hard enough.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's not *impossible* - almost all of the smallpox vaccines manage it, for example - but it's a matter of luck as to whether or not a given vaccine will generate sterilising antibodies.
I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain the smallpox vaccine wasn't fully sterilizing.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 16, 2021