Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Gadzuko posted:

AITA for getting frustrated with my boyfriend for implying I don't deserve to make the money I make?

The evergreen advice that actually applies to both parties in this situation:
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/979810839749210112?lang=en

Applying for new jobs is consequence free. This dude would rather seethe because his girlfriend has some measure of self worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA, my coworker hit on me and said he didn't want anyone to know but I told people?

quote:

I'm working a temp job during college to help afford it, but since my next semester is a work rotation I've put in my notice at my job.

My coworker who's working there long term hit on me. He's a lot older and has kids who are like way closer to college age than he is. I said that I was more so the age of his kids and he was like 'no you're a young woman and they're in middleshchool" which was so creepy, like he was trying to argue me out of saying no. Like just knowing math 14 and 21 is way closer than (40-50ish??) And 21

I told him he was being sketch and he asked me to be discrete about it at work. I was like "oh like you were discrete?"

Anyway he was saying he was working there long term and not just as a quick thing like me. And it would be really selfish of me to flit in and out in 4 months, not even loyal to my company or team, like kids do (????? why was he flirting if he thinks I'm 'kids' yikes)

I was like "alright man" because I felt super on the spot but I thought about it later and i thought it was sketch he said not to tell anyone, like that's only something you say if you're doing something you don't wanna get caught out doing. And he was pissing me off so why would I wanna protect his secret that I didn't even want to have?

Anyway my coworkers and boss were talking about throwing me a goodbye party at a local bar and I said that I didn't want one. They asked why and I said I wasn't super hyped about the idea of drinking with (the guy) because he was tryna get with me and he had kids my age and it was just a bad vibe. And if there's anything I've learned it's that you don't go drinking with someone who doesn't get boundaries.

My coworkers were like "whaat" and I told them everything and we decided to just do a party without this guy. My manager also wanted to talk to me alone and she seemed worried he might be doing the same with other people there? I said I didn't know anything about that but I wouldn't be surprised. Because he hardly knows me from Adam so he definitely wasn't into me because of some personal connection, it felt more like he was shotgunning his shot at a random chick he hardly knows.

My boss thanked me for being honest and I went home without talking to that guy. But the next day at work he tried to talk to me alone and I kinda steered the conversation into a public area and he stopped trying to talk. A couple other times he tried to talk and stopped as soon as someone else came in earshot. He seemed upset with me and maybe this was lovely of me but I wanted no part of whatever conversation he was trying to have so I purposely stuck close to my coworkers and customers all day.

I think he might be mad because he said not to say anything and I did

AITA for telling my coworkers that my coworker was hitting on me?

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
He is definitely mad because he told you not to say anything and you did. He thought for sure he could at least exploit the inherent power dynamic that much.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Piell posted:

AITA, my coworker hit on me and said he didn't want anyone to know but I told people?

this one is tripping me out because it's written in the speaking style of a 21 year old, then she breaks out "doesn't know me from Adam"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Piell posted:

The fact that he was able to try to corner her at work is a serious failure on the part of management

The fact that she feels in any way responsible for wrongdoing when being sexually harassed and then reporting that fact is a serious failure of society

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Gadzuko posted:

AITA for getting frustrated with my boyfriend for implying I don't deserve to make the money I make?

It's one of the hottest job markets in recent times right now, this guy should be shooting out resumes nonstop. Hell, I've snuck off to the room where we store Halloween decorations for Zooms and such half a dozen times in the past couple weeks. Interviewers love the skeletons and the disassembled Christmas tree in the back.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

cumshitter posted:

AITA for refusing to take my name of the deed to my mother in laws home ?

Give me your future home.

Some choice comments:
oh my god I was ready to say renting your 2 bedroom condo to your mother in law is a bad idea unless you have a really healthy relationship, but this was a far, far worse idea.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for not having sympathy for my wife when my in laws found out my parents are still married?

I don't really understand this. Why is the wife trying to make the mom out to be a victim in all this? Does she not despise her mother-in-law? Wouldn't her own parents immediately back her up on not liking mother-in-law due to the wedding dress nonsense? This is strange.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I don't really understand this. Why is the wife trying to make the mom out to be a victim in all this? Does she not despise her mother-in-law? Wouldn't her own parents immediately back her up on not liking mother-in-law due to the wedding dress nonsense? This is strange.

It sounds like some hosed up just world fallacy poo poo where wife and the other one believe that since mom is a bad person she deserves to have the bad things they made up actually happen to her:

quote:

She said it goes deeper than i get and it bothers them both that that didn't happen to my mom and they feel powerless.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Gadzuko posted:

Hello there, I'm a super driven under-30 women who's elbowed her way up a high-powered STEM field, earned the respect of her peers, and negotiates ruthlessly. Also, my boyfriend had a boo-boo and I have no interpersonal conflict skills, so of course I shall need your help with this, reddit...

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My (39F) partner (40M) of 4 years treats me like crap for making more money than him

quote:

I think my partner uses me like a maid to make up for the fact that I out earn him by a LOT.

My partner and I have been together for 4 years and living together for 2. We have three kiddos between the two of us (and a bunch of pets). Before we started dating I was doing the single mom thing, raising my kids, handling the house and taking care of all the business. I am a rockstar at this stuff because I have to be. He moved into my house (from an apartment) because it is big enough for all of us, in the best school district in our city, and I own it. The balance was always a little off from the start because he and his daughter moved into a household that was already running like a well oiled machine. We let his daughter pick out all new furniture and moved bedrooms around so that everyone has their own space. I wanted us to build a life together and stressed to everyone that this space and all our stuff is now an "ours". I treat his daughter just like any of the other kids and I am team mom for her sporting events just as I am for my kids.

His daughter will do chores when asked just like the other kids but my partner just refuses. He makes a mess and I am left cleaning up. I am exhausted cooking, cleaning, carpools, sporting event snacks, doing laundry, doing all the shopping, yard work and home repairs. My partner insists on dinner being ready when he gets home, and all his laundry ironed in a certain manner. Our house and cars are expected to be in meticulous condition because that is apparently a reflection of how far we have made it. (Of note, I grew up upper middle class, he was poor) On top of all this I work in a high pressure job. During the pandemic his job took a HUGE hit and I told him to not worry about paying rent or the bills. Everything is in my name and again, I have been handling it all on my own so it wasn't a huge hit to my budget. I make over 6-figures and have done a decent job of budgeting. Well things have picked back up for him and even though I have asked, he just doesn't feel like he needs to be paying rent or helping with bills anymore because everything is "ours". He makes significantly less than I do and I never asked for equal financial contribution, just equitable. The rent he paid early on was considerably less than his apt or market rate for rooms in a house like mine. He buys watches, haircuts, shoes, clothes and cologne with his paychecks. He travels for work sometimes and insists on flying first class. He works for himself so this comes out of his paycheck. It's all about appearances.

I bought a new car to fit the family better which I guess technically is a luxury vehicle. He got annoyed that I had a nice new car and insists on being the one to drive it around and show off. I do all the pick ups and drop offs for school and sports and NEED the extra row of seats for hauling carpools around but he still wants to drive it to meet with clients because its a status symbol. He makes back-handed comments about my car all the time, saying things like "for 70K that car should be picking up the kids for you" etc. He gets pissed at me for taking the dogs in the car because they will ruin the seats and honestly doesn't even like me picking up a bunch of muddy stinky pre-teens after sports either. I feel like I am being punished for asking him to pay rent and owning a nice car.

When I brought up the fact that I am doing too much around the house on top of my 50-60hrs/wk job he told me to hire more help. I already have landscapers but now he thinks I should pay for a housekeeper too. I don't think I should be paying to pick up his slack! I have the kids helping out where they can but they also have busy schedules with school, sports and social lives. How the heck do I get him to shut the f up about my money? Is he trying to knock me down a few pegs with all the housework to feel better about himself?

TLDR My (39F) partner (40M) treats me like crap for making more money than him. He stopped paying bills at start of pandemic and I now feel used up paying for everything and also managing everything for the household. He does nothing for the household.

hit da bricks

quote:

The really unfortunate reality is that when he travels for work the entire house runs smoothly.

HIT DA BRICKS

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for moving sharp heavy objects that were hanging above the baby's change table?

quote:

I'm 7 months pregnant and in the process of moving into my boyfriend's place. It's a cozy, rustic cabin and he has decorated it with various found artifacts and objects like old axes, saws etc. Above the windows he has wedged into the trim multiple old circular saw blades and large old railroad nails. Yesterday, while he was tidying up, I suggested we move the saw blades and railroad nails from above area where we plan to have the change table. This made him angry and he absolutely refused saying they would never fall and I am being an irrational helicopter parent. He wouldn't hear me out and got angrier and angrier when I tried to explain that having those sharp heavy object would be a needless stress to me every time the baby was changed. I knew they would probably never fall but I couldn't get the thought of those objects decapitating or crushing our baby out of my mind and so I moved them and arranged them on the wall a few feet over by the woodstove. I thought he would realize he was being irrational but he has doubled down and completely cut off all affection toward me. He thinks it is a sign that I am going to be a helicopter parent that turns his child into a wimp. He says I have ruined a part of him and he will be packing up all of his stuff tonight.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

Hello there, I'm a super driven under-30 women who's elbowed her way up a high-powered STEM field, earned the respect of her peers, and negotiates ruthlessly. Also, my boyfriend had a boo-boo and I have no interpersonal conflict skills, so of course I shall need your help with this, reddit...

It does seem like a stretch but the women that I know that made it big in STEM early have all the relationship expertise and interpersonal conflict skills of their male colleagues, so... :shrug:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Serephina posted:

lol if you think career driven people in STEM fields are somehow immune to making terrible life decisions in personal relationships

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

If software engineering was a field that required competence at dealing with other people to rise in the ranks it would at the very least be dominated by a totally different group of men

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Piell posted:

AITA for moving sharp heavy objects that were hanging above the baby's change table?

Oh yeah she's definitely being irrational, look how balanced and proportionate his response has been :jerkbag:

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Hughlander posted:

AITA for telling my son that I was embarrassed to call him my son, and I hoped his wife left him?

Mom knows what's up with the man-child she raised.

This guy must be a weapons grade piece of poo poo if he's unemployable as a loving petroleum engineer lol.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Invisible Clergy posted:

This guy must be a weapons grade piece of poo poo if he's unemployable as a loving petroleum engineer lol.

For "petroleum engineer" I read "gas station attendant."

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Piell posted:

Sorry your life is becoming a Mr. Bean skit OP.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

wheatpuppy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuPVldmLgNo

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

That would be a petroleum technician.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Someone else's used condom stuck to my [35M] leg while hooking up with my [31F] ex-wife at her house.

quote:

We got divorced a year ago. We started seeing each other again 2 weeks ago. Things were going really well. We have changed a lot. We are definitely more grown up.

I went to her house and into this loft space and was giving her a back massage. I moved a pillow and someone else's used condom fell on my leg.

I , of course, have no problem that she was seeing other people. She said it was from a while back but I don't know if I can believe her. She has a history of lying when backed into a corner.

She is sorry. I didn't blow up or do anything I would regret after I left her apartment. I have a history of letting my emotions get the best of me. And making others responsible for them. And I'm trying to not make her responsible for my emotions. But a used condom fell on my leg. And it's soul crushing.

I'm not trying to rake her over the coals. She is probably just as embarrassed as me. But is this insurmountable? I am really, really, traumatized by this. Things were going really well. What does anyone even do in this situation?

I'm at :

A). Literally pretend like it never happened and cram my feelings into a trash compactor and continue forward with her. Preserving everyone's dignity.

B). Be upset about it and ask for time and distance to process.

C). End everything immediately.

TL;DR : A leftover condom from my ex-wife's former lover stuck to my leg while we were in her bed. I am interested in pursuing a relationship with her. I need advice on how to proceed.

it really takes all kinds doesnt it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

E) breakup because what the gently caress that’s gross.

If it’s been there a while it’s even worse!!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mx. posted:

Someone else's used condom stuck to my [35M] leg while hooking up with my [31F] ex-wife at her house.

*curb your enthusiasm music plays*

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I sure hope she's lying, the alternative is just nasty.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

wizardofloneliness posted:

I sure hope she's lying, the alternative is just nasty.

There is no alternative where it’s not nasty.

None.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Hughlander posted:

AITA for telling my son that I was embarrassed to call him my son, and I hoped his wife left him?

Gadzuko posted:

Mx. posted:

My (39F) partner (40M) of 4 years treats me like crap for making more money than him

Christ, being straight sounds exhausting

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 16, 2021

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I bet gay couples get pissy about salary imbalances too, but probably not as often

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Mx. posted:

quote:

I didn't blow up or do anything I would regret after I left her apartment. I have a history of letting my emotions get the best of me.
:redflag:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

I bet gay couples get pissy about salary imbalances too, but probably not as often

and there's potentially twice as many used condoms laying around

wait hold on

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

my assistant quit because of St. Patrick’s Day pinching

quote:

This past Friday, the office I work at got into the spirit of Saint Patrick’s Day. We were all asked to wear green, and items such as green hats, clovers, and other symbols of the day were encouraged. Non-alcoholic green drinks and green food were ordered for a catered lunch for everyone.

Despite being Irish (in fact the only Irish person employed here), my assistant declined to participate. She had complained that it was offensive and cultural appropriation.

The first incident happened when she was pinched while on the way to a meeting. She yelled at the person who did it. The second incident was before the meeting, she was pinched as she sat down. I was not present for either incident. For the second incident, she said she was pinched near her butt. The person who did it claimed he didn’t mean to do it there and she had started to sit down. My assistant got angry and, according to people in the meeting, she walked out and threw her ID badge down. No one has seen her since, and when I called she said she quit and hung up. People from the meetings said she didn’t understand the pinching and was angry and had yelled.

I’ve never had someone quit abruptly before. If she asks for a reference in the future, how do I decline? Should I let her next employer know she quit abruptly? Since she was my assistant, should I address it with people?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Funktastic posted:

Get ready for the lawsuit I’d say.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

my assistant got sexually harrassed and then suddenly quit do you think she'll still use me as a reference, cause she didnt even give me two weeks notice!
-dumbest boss in the world

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
In the comments it's revealed that the St. Patrick's day story took place in London.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

cumshitter posted:

In the comments it's revealed that the St. Patrick's day story took place in London.

Ah ok so he will be able to sue her for quitting so abruptly.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mr. Lobe posted:

I feel like some straight people get married not because they want to share their life with another person, but because they feel like they have to get married to someone, because that's what you're supposed to do. And then you get stories like "my stay at home husband doesn't shower or clean up after himself or know how to make food" and it's, like you don't have a husband, you have someone's pawned-off manchild.

I know some gay people in lovely relationships, but the weird hang-ups about gender roles and housework, and men who invision themselves as the "boss" of the relationship are predominantly straight problems.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Funktastic posted:

he was pinched near her butt. The person who did it claimed he didn’t mean to do it there and she had started to sit down

For that to happen, he'd have to aim lower than the butt. The thigh? The back of the knee? Doesn't compute.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

MarcusSA posted:

Ah ok so he will be able to sue her for quitting so abruptly.
He'll also be able to sue her for being Irish.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kimbo305 posted:

For that to happen, he'd have to aim lower than the butt. The thigh? The back of the knee? Doesn't compute.

What, you don't shove your rear end up and back before you sit down like one of those over-animated early comics where every motion was extra as hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.