Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

With the disclaimer that I've only read the first as well, they apparently get clunkier and weirder as they go and GEOD is sort of a natural stopping point before two novels that were leading up to a conclusion that was never written. Under no circumstances should you read Kevin J Anderson

grate deceiver posted:

It's all good. God Emperor is the high point, but the rest is also p dece. Just be prepared that the ending is missing.
There's some weird poo poo in the last one, like a Bene Gesserit analog that are so good at loving that they can mindcontrol dudes. But then Duncan Idaho is EVEN BETTER at loving real ggod and he can mindcontrol them back. Also it's like a few thousand years forward from God Emperor, and there's been a lot more Duncan Idahos. Duncan Idahos as far as the eye can see. Imagine four duncan idahos on a cliff - Dune works the same way.

Do NOT read Herbert's son's prequels/sidequels or whatever the gently caress they are.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Dune messiah is boring but interesting.
Children of Dune is MEGA BORING then fun for the last 20 pages. Bit pedoish.
God Emperor is the most bizzare and fun but also incredibly homophobic and where you realise Herbert is a Lovecraft-tier oval office.
I haven't finished the next one but I've heard this is where it starts to get really bad.

thank you all, i will try and make it through god emperor, results TBD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

DesertIslandHermit posted:

It's better when a show has one episode where it's hunting down a criminal with plenty of martial arts and then another episode is a horror where everyone nearly gets killed by a space fungus monster that gets eaten by the wacky kid going 'Yum pudding'. Tone consistency be damned.

Yeah the varying tone is what gives Bebop its charm, it allows it to do a bunch of different storylines and put the characters in both humorous and dramatic situations. It also helps that the tone is consistent across a single episode so it doesn't give that bad of a whiplash when they do something completely different the episode after that

Nothing good comes from the Earth

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Honestly that's a pretty good deal, KPop is popular enough that the kiddies have probably run into it and Sesame Street by design is supposed to have a diverse cross section of city dwellers

Judakel posted:

I am speaking about the current concern over Asian hate which seems largely focused on cultural solutions that do not address the source of the problem. I find myself extremely cynical over something that is good simply because no one concerned about it seems to be calling out the real cause, probably for fear of being seen as pro-China.

This is a good point tho

Feldegast42 has issued a correction as of 21:34 on Nov 15, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i hesitate to even post this word for fear of breathing its evil into the world, but......... remember "hope punk"?

they call it solar punk now

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

The puppets have ethnicity?

Sesame street was explicitly aimed at kids in depressed inner cities, so in the wider Henson universe it's a show about a muppet ghetto.

Presumably a Korean Muppet is just a muppet also from Korea.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I'm watching Midnight Mass, pretty good so far, liking it a lot. But there's this one thing that chaps my rear end - why the hell there's this one actress in very obvious old lady makeup, very obviously trying very hard for an old lady voice. Like cmon, wtf is this.

Like idk, I'm only 2 eps in, maybe she'll be magically getting young and hot later, or there's going to be some important flashback or some poo poo, but please. Just hire a real older actress, what even is this poo poo. This never works, it's always awful, why do this.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

I'm watching Midnight Mass, pretty good so far, liking it a lot. But there's this one thing that chaps my rear end - why the hell there's this one actress in very obvious old lady makeup, very obviously trying very hard for an old lady voice. Like cmon, wtf is this.

Like idk, I'm only 2 eps in, maybe she'll be magically getting young and hot later, or there's going to be some important flashback or some poo poo, but please. Just hire a real older actress, what even is this poo poo. This never works, it's always awful, why do this.

You are on the right track for your guess.

I enjoyed the series but felt it ran after scene after a reveal later in the series.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

yeah ok, started ep 3 and right from the get go there's a dude in old man makeup as well. so i'm guessing some magic poo poo is going to happen

But still, I hate this poo poo, it looks awful. Just hire real actors that kinda look like eachother, it's fine. And here it's super bad, because they both have very obvious babyfaces under the makeup, lol, no old person has a face that plump.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

grate deceiver posted:

yeah ok, started ep 3 and right from the get go there's a dude in old man makeup as well. so i'm guessing some magic poo poo is going to happen

But still, I hate this poo poo, it looks awful. Just hire real actors that kinda look like eachother, it's fine. And here it's super bad, because they both have very obvious babyfaces under the makeup, lol, no old person has a face that plump.

The new Chucky show had Brad Douriff's daughter play as Chucky's pre-doll self. And she pulled it off pretty well.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

they should get zack snyder to make a live action Evangelion next so we can all finally kill each other

Starring michael cera

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

cera's too old. chamalet is the hollywood shinji now.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Swallowtail Butterfly is the closest to a live-action Cowboy Bebop you're going to get.

https://youtu.be/B_u5-uTN7Sc

void_serfer has issued a correction as of 23:50 on Nov 15, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

The new Chucky show had Brad Douriff's daughter play as Chucky's pre-doll self. And she pulled it off pretty well.

well, i just got to the "de-aging" part, and you know what? it was literally pointless. The old makeup doesn't even look like the person at all, the face looks completely different from all the poo poo they have caked on there. So if the point was realism, big miss there. Also the whole body movement, voice, gait, everything felt so awkward

I know it's a stupid thing to focus on, but I just hate it, it takes me out every time. Again, could have easily got a real, vaguely similar older actor and it would be lightyears better.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

projecthalaxy posted:

Starring michael cera
Michael Cera as Shinji
Zendaya as Asuka
Awkwafina as Rei

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Michael Cera as Shinji
Zendaya as Asuka
Awkwafina as Rei

Who’d be Gendo, Nick Offerman?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Durf posted:

aahahahahahaha YASSSSS

wow ok uhh hmmmm, yeeesh

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Michael Cera as Shinji
Zendaya as Asuka
Awkwafina as Rei

based on dune, zendaya would be a good rei.

in that she can stare meaningfully and then turn away from the camera, the only necessary skill

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

speaking of dune josh brolin would be a good gendo

also agree zendaya would be better as rei (based on dune) and hey just swapping them around awkwafina might not be too bad an asuka

alternatively, anya taylor joy as rei and the redhead girl from stranger things as asuka

zoe saldana as ristuko? idk if she can act well but ali wong has misato energy from what i've seen of her standup

if you wanted to do black shinji/gendo, ashton sanders (middle chiron in moonlight) as shinji and forest whitaker as gendo

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

nobody is making you cast awkwafina

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Glenn Greenwald = Misato and Pen Pen is replaced by 17 dogs

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Farm Frenzy posted:

nobody is making you cast awkwafina

She has 1 character and she can't even play that one well.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Oh it's Snyder chat time again, is it? :getin:

I just saw Red Notice, it's exactly the kind of movie you'd expect it to be. The rock and Ryan reynolds play the one character they know how to play, and Gal...can't even manage that. But the action comedy routine is kinda funny so it averages out to an alright movie.

Oh also, Arcane is a pretty cool looking show, it's worth watching for the eyecandy alone.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

reading the quiet american again for the first time in a decade and having about the same reaction i did the first time i read it which is that the main character is a racist sexpat pedophile and its disturbing how were expected to overlook this because he has basically the closest thing to a non monstrous opinion a white person can have about vietnam in the fifties

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

"According to the article, a number of agents have previously reported that top filmmakers are often keen to sign on for a movie within the franchise, but find themselves hampered by issues of "micromanagement and plot-point-by-committee" processes."

https://www.ign.com/articles/patty-jenkins-rian-johnson-shelved-star-wars-projects-creative-differences

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wow, what a shocker, who could have guessed the star wars sequels had a "plot point by committee" lmao

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

McCloud posted:

Oh it's Snyder chat time again, is it? :getin:

I just saw Red Notice, it's exactly the kind of movie you'd expect it to be. The rock and Ryan reynolds play the one character they know how to play, and Gal...can't even manage that. But the action comedy routine is kinda funny so it averages out to an alright movie.

Oh also, Arcane is a pretty cool looking show, it's worth watching for the eyecandy alone.

get in... for nothing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

Midnight Mass is awesome

between that, the haunting series, and Doctor Sleep, Flanagan is my new "can do no wrong" horror director of choice

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
one of the biggest jewels in the crown of a colossal corporation is carefully controlled and micromanaged by said corporation???

but i thought a true creative like me could just turn up and wail some jizz all over the franchise!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i think it's funny that Rian Johnson has such a good reputation considering Brick was awful and Looper was just okay, if you don't think about it too hard

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Lars von trier like "finally the world is ready for my take on the Star Wars cantina band" and the bastards at disney shootin him down

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Casey Finnigan posted:

i think it's funny that Rian Johnson has such a good reputation considering Brick was awful and Looper was just okay, if you don't think about it too hard

He did Breaking Bad episodes including the infamous Fly one.

I'm happy for him getting his own film franchise with Knives Out. He could probably do his own sci-fi adventure without needing Star Wars. Daniel Craig in space.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Uncle Wemus posted:

"According to the article, a number of agents have previously reported that top filmmakers are often keen to sign on for a movie within the franchise, but find themselves hampered by issues of "micromanagement and plot-point-by-committee" processes."

https://www.ign.com/articles/patty-jenkins-rian-johnson-shelved-star-wars-projects-creative-differences

don't worry, his trilogy is coming any day now

any day now

any day now

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It's for the best that way

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I never saw endgame or infinity war but yourube recommended this scene and lol @ all the people cheering on Tony's fascist little speech

https://youtu.be/2VyV-pgYcOE

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
it's crazy that Tony Stark is the big uberhero from the marvel universe because, even in that film universe, he's like one of the worst villains

like he makes a "protective" robot AI that is supposed to act above the law to enforce his preferred version of the social order and it leads to the total destruction of an Eastern European country.

this is considered to be kind of bad but mostly just a little oopsie cause it was done with noble intentions. angry people from the ruined country turn up later throughout the films as one-dimensional villains

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

it's crazy that Tony Stark is the big uberhero from the marvel universe because, even in that film universe, he's like one of the worst villains

like he makes a "protective" robot AI that is supposed to act above the law to enforce his preferred version of the social order and it leads to the total destruction of an Eastern European country.

this is considered to be kind of bad but mostly just a little oopsie cause it was done with noble intentions. angry people from the ruined country turn up later as one-dimensional villains

he also decided after that the only people who should be trusted to wield superpowers was the US government and if you disagreed then you have to go to jail

Tony Stark being a drunk was supposed to be a character flaw but that's like the only admirable thing about him compared to the rest of his traits

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

In the first movie tony has a computer that designates and targets "bad guys"

On the second he says he has the copyright on peace

In the third he beats up disabled veterans

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

He did Breaking Bad episodes including the infamous Fly one.

I'm happy for him getting his own film franchise with Knives Out. He could probably do his own sci-fi adventure without needing Star Wars. Daniel Craig in space.

i thought knives out was pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

McCloud posted:

It's for the best that way

"I got your trilogy right here." as he does another Knives Out trilogy but this time it's pulp sci-fi.