Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

In the first movie tony has a computer that designates and targets "bad guys"

On the second he says he has the copyright on peace

In the third he beats up disabled veterans

in the 2nd Captain America he helped invent the killer drone helicarriers

In the 2nd SpiderMan he bequeaths his killer drone army to a high schooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

i think it's funny that Rian Johnson has such a good reputation considering Brick was awful and Looper was just okay, if you don't think about it too hard

theyre both really discordantly sentimental and optimistic movies despite the inherently grim setting which is really the strongest critique of the last jedi rather than getting hung up on what it does with the star wars mythos

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

it's crazy that Tony Stark is the big uberhero from the marvel universe because, even in that film universe, he's like one of the worst villains

like he makes a "protective" robot AI that is supposed to act above the law to enforce his preferred version of the social order and it leads to the total destruction of an Eastern European country.

this is considered to be kind of bad but mostly just a little oopsie cause it was done with noble intentions. angry people from the ruined country turn up later throughout the films as one-dimensional villains

we know it was justified because the only two people from that country with names decided to join starks team for the extremely logical reason that they realized the robot stark created was more dangerous than stark himself

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

i thought knives out was pretty good

knives out ruled and i'm glad that rian johnson lost his star wars deal so now he can make more knives outs for netflix instead of wasting his life on star wars

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Like some other pieces of media, Brick isn't bad if you're somewhat close to the age range it's depicting.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Knives Out: rich people are basically good unless they have insufficient love of their patriarch which leads them astray. You too can be the model minority that cares for the dying wealthy boomers of America and maybe you'll get a big payout! The justice system will definitely protect you if you accidentally murder said boomer just in the course of doing your job. Everything will work out in the end, keep your head down and trust in christ

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

McCloud posted:

Wow, what a shocker, who could have guessed the star wars sequels had a "plot point by committee" lmao
the most amazing thing is they somehow didn't have poo poo planned out way in advance and just ad hocced poo poo at random??? tlj kinda sucked from an overall complete movie point of view with some non-sensical plot lines, awful editting, some thing where pink hair captain was strong and don't need to answer to men but lost everything anyways proving the rebel flight guy was right? or wrong? and del toro plotline wasn't as good as it could have been. but i still liked just how anti-disney/sw it was and so it gets a lot of points for loving with the udder's on disneys grotesquely bloated cash cow.

Casey Finnigan posted:

i think it's funny that Rian Johnson has such a good reputation considering Brick was awful and Looper was just okay, if you don't think about it too hard
i really really hated brick when it came out. looper was fun though. and knives out was good and looking forward to more. wouldn't even make a top 20 list of directors but he's not actively bad which is more than you can say for a lot.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I liked Brick as a teenager but I have no idea how it holds up.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

reading the quiet american again for the first time in a decade and having about the same reaction i did the first time i read it which is that the main character is a racist sexpat pedophile and its disturbing how were expected to overlook this because he has basically the closest thing to a non monstrous opinion a white person can have about vietnam in the fifties

isn't that the point? He's explicitly high on opium or drunk for at least a third of the book too. The immoral piece of poo poo is still less harmful to society as a whole than the well intentioned agent of an imperial power.

I read that and then some le Carre recently and le Carre just looked juvenile in comparison when it came to political situations. le Carre has some good action and characters, but "what if the west and east had amoral intelligence agencies" isn't particularly engaging to me. Even worse, the scale is on individual lives being ruined, when we know western spies were helping assassinate world leaders and plan genocides.

I haven't read much Greene though, but did he ever write about areas where the British were the chief colonial power? He tries to carve out an exception for his British protagonist in the Quiet American being a colonist since it's technically not a British colony. It's easy to critique imperialism by other powers tbh.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

isn't that the point? He's explicitly high on opium or drunk for at least a third of the book too. The immoral piece of poo poo is still less harmful to society as a whole than the well intentioned agent of an imperial power.

i honestly got hubert humphrey vibes from him in that while thats the obvious sympathetic way to interpret the character its a lot less effort to just read him as a straight antihero instead theres also just no getting around the fact that phuong has zero agency and for all practical intents and purposes might as well be a sex doll at least lolita was portrayed as capable of complex thought

my perspective might be skewed somewhat as i have unfortunately had more exposure to the sexpat rationalization process than i would like and even today liberals slash libertarians like that are a dime a dozen in southeast asia

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

WrightOfWay posted:

I liked Brick as a teenager but I have no idea how it holds up.

I watched it p recently for the first time and it was very good. It's a good movie

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

grate deceiver posted:

I watched it p recently for the first time and it was very good. It's a good movie

this was also my experience. i thought there were a few places where a more confident director could have really hammered home the joke but it was a fun film with one big idea it did well

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
continuously baffled more and more in a sickening oneupsmanship of baffle at some of these decisions for live action bebop

like did I really just see that post about how the show 'avoids painting a dystopian vision of the future' when the dystopian future is a really important facet in all the characters backstories and in fact the crux of why they're bounty hunters in the first place?? losing my mind over here actually

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
and here I thought the end result of "netflix wants to make more money from cowboy bebop" would be a net positive for us

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pyrus Malus posted:

continuously baffled more and more in a sickening oneupsmanship of baffle at some of these decisions for live action bebop

like did I really just see that post about how the show 'avoids painting a dystopian vision of the future' when the dystopian future is a really important facet in all the characters backstories and in fact the crux of why they're bounty hunters in the first place?? losing my mind over here actually
I feel like it's entirely possible that the creators have removed the parts they recognized as dystopian, then added features they perceive as utopian or at least neutral, the end result being a different sort of dystopia rather than no dystopia.

Not that this would make the show good.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

and here I thought the end result of "netflix wants to make more money from cowboy bebop" would be a net positive for us

eh netflix has funded some good content, I mean they're not a completely awful publisher or anything. like don't get me wrong, I never thought it'd be good, but I didn't think it was crazy to set my expectations to 'anything but the absolute worst' for the bebop adaptation til now

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

has there ever been a live action anime adaptation that is not trash? western or japanese? only one that comes to my mind is Alita that was p dece, maybe even approaching 'good'

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

wait, scratch that, Alita is not an anime so it doesnt count

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah Alita was actually entertaining, people seem split about Speed Racer but I've never seen it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like it's entirely possible that the creators have removed the parts they recognized as dystopian, then added features they perceive as utopian or at least neutral, the end result being a different sort of dystopia rather than no dystopia.

Not that this would make the show good.

I'm reminded of some really awful twitter take that cowboy bebop is a depiction of how anime has neoliberal utopias

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Alita was fine, not sure what took so drat long to get the movie done but whatever

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of some really awful twitter take that cowboy bebop is a depiction of how anime has neoliberal utopias
Well, I can't speak to that, given that I know basically nothing of either version, but neoliberal utopias being dystopias was certainly what I was getting at.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
cowboy bebop captured a kind of outer rim star wars + jazz vibe that will never again be as potent or interesting as it was back in 1998 . If anything it could become our actual lived reality because an Intersolar transit system pretty much destroying earth sounds pretty on the nose

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

grate deceiver posted:

has there ever been a live action anime adaptation that is not trash? western or japanese? only one that comes to my mind is Alita that was p dece, maybe even approaching 'good'

Robert Rodriguez doesn't count he respects source material and will direct, edit, and produce a movie to be as close to it as possible even if no one else will for good or bad.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
The racing/car battle parts are real in speedracer, the other stuff is trash.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Hollywood hosed up by not making an attack on titan movie when it first got big. Just left mountains of cash on the table

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Speed Racer was not my thing, but I can respect that it fully commits to anime, that's at least more honest than whatever the gently caress Bepop is doing

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

knives out ruled and i'm glad that rian johnson lost his star wars deal so now he can make more knives outs for netflix instead of wasting his life on star wars

we just need way more golden age murder mystery movies imo

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I feel like the review that was saying it was too embarrassed to be anime hit it on the mark

Just loving embrace it at this point man, that's the only way to do it justice

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Casey Finnigan posted:

it's crazy that Tony Stark is the big uberhero from the marvel universe because, even in that film universe, he's like one of the worst villains

like he makes a "protective" robot AI that is supposed to act above the law to enforce his preferred version of the social order and it leads to the total destruction of an Eastern European country.

this is considered to be kind of bad but mostly just a little oopsie cause it was done with noble intentions. angry people from the ruined country turn up later throughout the films as one-dimensional villains

thats why dr strange had to trick stark into killing himself so that earth's two biggest threats (thanos + stark) died together

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

I feel like the review that was saying it was too embarrassed to be anime hit it on the mark

I mean, you could also go the other way - forget entirely that it's an anime, and adapt it as a western, just in a space setting. Kinda like Mandalorian I guess? Point is commit to something for fucks sake, instead of this self-conscious referential whedonshit.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Dreylad posted:

we just need way more golden age murder mystery movies imo

and yet death on the nile sits gathering dust on the shelf just because every single person involved with it did a covid sex crime

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

cowboy bebop captured a kind of outer rim star wars + jazz vibe that will never again be as potent or interesting as it was back in 1998 . If anything it could become our actual lived reality because an Intersolar transit system pretty much destroying earth sounds pretty on the nose

They should make more westerns with good music.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They should make more westerns with good music.

:yeah:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Trabisnikof posted:

Who’d be Gendo, Nick Offerman?

Shinji, when a man builds something he puts his heart and soul into it. Your mother was my heart, and I put her soul into the eva I built.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Feldegast42 posted:

The funny thing is by anime standards CB is pretty accessible to casual viewers:
-The character designs and personalities are super tropey but still not aggravatingly so to normies the way the average anime character often is (also it's a mostly adult cast),
-The whole style is reminiscent of things the audience has already seen in live-action like film noir, etc,
-The series as a whole at least superficially looks cool and "grown up".

Outside of how revered the original is (and some irreconcilable stylistic differences between the two media), it probably was one of the rare anime series where you could in theory hope for something that would at least look decent.

One Piece by comparison is much more cartoony and shamelessly juvenile, and the whole cast is super extra. Imagine how lifeless and ashamed of itself the adaptation is gonna look if they go through with it, or pretty much any other of the big hits they might consider adapting. Bebop was easy mode compared to those, and they couldn't even approach even a fraction of the self-confidence of, say, Alita or Speed Racer.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I want Hollywood to make a woke version of Smokey and the Bandit. I think it'd be hilarious and get lots of people really mad.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

he did a star war that everyone loved and had only positive things to say about*

*compared to the next one

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Lord of Pie posted:

he did a star war that everyone loved and had only positive things to say about*

*compared to the next one

I didn't love The Last Jedi, but I was looking forward to having lots and lots of young punk DIY Jedis just rising up against the old order and seeing whether Lucasfilm had the balls to go for that change of direction. It was not meant to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

YaketySass posted:

The funny thing is by anime standards CB is pretty accessible to casual viewers:
-The character designs and personalities are super tropey but still not aggravatingly so to normies the way the average anime character often is (also it's a mostly adult cast),
-The whole style is reminiscent of things the audience has already seen in live-action like film noir, etc,
-The series as a whole at least superficially looks cool and "grown up".

Outside of how revered the original is (and some irreconcilable stylistic differences between the two media), it probably was one of the rare anime series where you could in theory hope for something that would at least look decent.

One Piece by comparison is much more cartoony and shamelessly juvenile, and the whole cast is super extra. Imagine how lifeless and ashamed of itself the adaptation is gonna look if they go through with it, or pretty much any other of the big hits they might consider adapting. Bebop was easy mode compared to those, and they couldn't even approach even a fraction of the self-confidence of, say, Alita or Speed Racer.

Bebop also has a really good English dub, which was less common at the time, I think.