Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I think it's the weird leakage of suspension of disbelief. Like, in an actual RPG session you don't call out that that you went to a town the GM didn't expect you to go to and now they're making stuff up, but equally you don't have your PC go to the library and ask the GM to read you what's on every book spine. But it seems that bit of social contract and suspension of disbelief then leaks out to external discussion as well, to the point where a lot of what RPGing is advertised or described as is actually just how you're supposed to treat it in order to engage with it enjoyably, not what it actually is.

It's not exactly uncommon. Plenty of films and books are advertised with the claim that you can "meet" the characters or even do things "with" them. Very rarely will any advert for a film or books describe what you will do as "watching" or "reading".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That's why I pull back the veil and describe my GM style as "bad, just absolute dog doo".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
"This is my first time running this, I don't know what I'm loving doing, it's probably going to suck overall."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My style is sort of a cosmic gumbo.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"This is my first time running this, I don't know what I'm loving doing, it's probably going to suck overall."

Remarkably, people tend not to be interested in signing up for that. I thought that fool of sound was being a bit harsh by making that description a warning sign, because the GM has to play along with the metasocial game as much as anyone does.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

It certainly sounds like the sort of answer you give if you want to be all things to all people and are defining your style largely in terms of avoiding stuff other people have said they dislike, even if that leads to a totally contradictory mashup.

(It also feels like the sort of DMing style I vaguely remember a lot of 2E-era D&D stuff encouraging you to aspire towards.)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It happens on the player side, too. Players will tell you what they think the DM wants to hear because they want to play and they don't have a good grip on the things that make them happy and unhappy.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It happens on the player side, too. Players will tell you what they think the DM wants to hear because they want to play and they don't have a good grip on the things that make them happy and unhappy.

Hey, don't call me out too hard.
I'd like to think I know what would make me happy in games but it's very rare to get to encounter it, so I have no way to be sure short of saying it and being proven right/wrong. Trial and error is generally not the best way with how difficult it is to get new games going. :smith:

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yes, there's a lot of this. Moreover, a lot of the things that would make them happy, they don't want to know are being engineered for that reason.

I remember a similar one where a GM warned that a game would have real danger of PC death, and when a PC actually died the player was outraged. Naturally the player assumed that the players were supposed to suspend belief that their PCs were in danger of death, but not that they actually were (which again is a standard social trope as without it the PCs would hear about the dragon's lair and decide not to go because it was too dangerous)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I do wonder if this is partially a matter of the DnD = all RPGs slippage?

Just to lay the ground a little, when people ask me why I like TTRPGs even though video games exist, it isn't because they have an extremely open possibility space for character expression, the "be whoever you want to be" thing that I see in very tertiary media around RPGs, but that a TTRPG will generally be incredibly responsive, i.e. TTRPGs will coherently respond to an extremely wide range of inputs that put any existing video game to shame. Another way to say this might be that I care about the openness of the possibility space at the micro level but not so much at the macro level.

Like to put in a concrete example, BITD gets compared a lot to Thief and Dishonored with good reason. BITD is not a very open game space: you are a criminal, in a dingy city with little focus on anything outside one specific city, the game is a series of heists, and each heist has a pretty rigid structure. You can't even play an orc. But when you want to get past a door, your option space is massive. Thief and Dishonored compared to most video games have a lot of verbs that will work for getting around a door, and they feel like wearing a straitjacket compared to BITD. And BITD is, again, pretty rigid for a TTRPG!

Anyway back to that weird repeated DnD pitch - if you are not comparing DnD to other TTRPGs but are mostly comparing them to video games, then nearly any DnD DM would qualify as extremely open ended, reactive, and flexible. "The plot moves regardless of what you do" is a fun claim because the reason video games don't tend to do that is because it tends to be kind of pointless when things are scripted (now, a lot of timeloop games do have a world that moves without your intervention but part of the point is so that you can slide into "ah yes Tim always buys apples at the 10 minute mark so I can catch him there" kind of gameplay, rather than a single thing where if you miss your chance its gone). So when a GM is making that claim, they have some chance of backing it up because the way the plot moves on without players can be tuned so that its not just a frustrating or silly aside.

ANYWAY that is a lot of words to say that that cliche self-description feels like it results from comparing oneself to a video game rather than to other GMs or tables. And its given me the interesting thought experiment of "how would I pitch myself as a GM." e: other than "kinda bad"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I mean at this point as we go into session 1, I'm probably gonna be pretty upfront, "look dude, you veto'd every fun concept I had and then needed someone to play a meatshield in a system that isn't mechanically rewarding for a tank, so I stepped up to the plate since the players that were gonna have fun made fun classes. Also because you decided to go with rolled stats, theatre of the mind and house rules that make martial characters even shittier than the base game which already goes out of its way to do that I'm not really useful for out of combat stuff. I'm mostly gonna be on my phone until it's my turn to basic attack or rage per day or whatever the gently caress this bad game lets me do."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I suspect it maps maybe to this:

Session 0: GM has not in fact done any prep work and is worried. They have a map or a published setting resource but they haven't prepped an adventure. Also, in their head, they are dreaming of a great player group who will seize the world by its horns and do fun poo poo. They've got this though, they have resources at hand, and can come up with stuff on the fly. Excelsior!

Session 1: The players have also not done much or any homework, except for Leigh who has a 2-page backstory for their tiefling. The generic setting they land in has no instant plot hooks, or maybe there's twelve; they're supposed to take the initiative, but it's 7pm on a friday and while they imagined leaping into this dynamic world with some Cool poo poo, actually they're still a little nervous with this group, nobody feels like taking control because they might come off as rudely dominating things? So they kind of talk to the bartender and manage to buy some cheese and the tiefling makes an inappropriate joke about udders. It's weird, why aren't they rushing out and Adventuring?

Session 2: The GM, after panicking for 2 days after the last session, has sketched out an Actual Adventure and as the players sit down, they are railroaded straight into it. And a drat good thing, too, because if this session went like Session 1, there wasn't going to be a Session 3. The sandbox world is still there, but everyone is sufficiently relieved to actually be doing something that they prefer forgetting about that idea, vs. disrupting Actual Fun Gaming to try wandering down random pathways instead of doing what the Dark Stranger hired them to do.

Session 8: Hey this game is on rails, whatever happened to that glorious open-ended exploration and discovery thing we were gonna do?

to summarize: actually, totally open-world gaming is hard, especially with a new group, and especially with a system like D&D that requires at least some prep of an encounter ahead of time, and especially if the players aren't willing to generate plot hooks by fleshing out their characters, ideally together in a joint session. Also, there's another word for open-ended sandbox gaming, and that's "aimless." I'm sure it can be done, but I sure haven't done it.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 15, 2021

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I find generally that openness on the macro level, as Tulip described it above, is something best added to RPGs gradually -- especially with a new game or a new group. Start with something very structured to introduce some plot elements, introduce the game structure, and give people something to bounce off.

Then later on once there are established characters and setting details and the like, you can open the horizon and start adapting to the PCs' long-term goals.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah, it's funny you mention open sandbox and aimlessness, because I've actually had a player who cut his teeth on d&d who always wanted a true sandbox where the GM and story actually are based on what the players pursue and now having played some pbta, and resistance games has realized he wants a bit more structure than the GM making whatever the PCs pursue important and not railroading, because the game meanders and it often feel like there's not much of a common thread otherwise.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh yeah, sessions 1-??? are definitely going to be on... Minimally, guiderails for me. But I'll be up-front about it. "Hey, I'm not sure what I'm doing, mind helping me out this time?"

My group much prefers less free-form, so it works.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Tulip posted:

Just to lay the ground a little, when people ask me why I like TTRPGs even though video games exist, it isn't because they have an extremely open possibility space for character expression, the "be whoever you want to be" thing that I see in very tertiary media around RPGs, but that a TTRPG will generally be incredibly responsive, i.e. TTRPGs will coherently respond to an extremely wide range of inputs that put any existing video game to shame. Another way to say this might be that I care about the openness of the possibility space at the micro level but not so much at the macro level.
I hear that: it's why a lot of the painstaking character-crafting heavy RPGs (like 3.X D&D with all the sourcebooks in play) do little or nothing for me. A wide range of finely-detailed, mechanically-supported choices at character generation or in the levelling process don't interest me, I'm more interested in what those characters do during actual play than who they were before the game started. (The old truism of "don't make your backstory more interesting than the planned action of the campaign" springs to mind here.)

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

One of my friends was a player in a game I was GMing. He has never GMed before. The party had finished up their initial mission and had a few branching options for what came next. They picked one and we ran a nice little dungeon adventure that flowed into their next story hook. After my friend was super complimentary about how I had either prepped for all the different options or been able to improv so well. I told him I appreciated the positive feedback, but I had really just prepped the one dungeon and no matter what story option they chose they were going to be doing some version of that adventure, reskinned as necessary.

He seemed pretty deflated and maybe a bit cheated that the story wasn't 100% reactive to what they chose, but I was like, dude, I'm not Skyrim. You're not going to pick a random mountain cave and have me have pre-planned the specific unique adventure therein.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Warthur posted:

I hear that: it's why a lot of the painstaking character-crafting heavy RPGs (like 3.X D&D with all the sourcebooks in play) do little or nothing for me. A wide range of finely-detailed, mechanically-supported choices at character generation or in the levelling process don't interest me, I'm more interested in what those characters do during actual play than who they were before the game started. (The old truism of "don't make your backstory more interesting than the planned action of the campaign" springs to mind here.)
I've run into this with players a bunch where they feel they have to have their character's personality and backstory completely locked down before the game even starts, but even with stuff like D&D often the characters I've ended up having the most fun and fully fleshed out personalities for started the first session as "Class: Ranger, Species: something nobody else has picked with a +dex mod". My favourite and longest running 4e character started with me taking over a prebuilt rogue trapfinder/lockpick NPC in session 2.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Giodo! posted:

One of my friends was a player in a game I was GMing. He has never GMed before. The party had finished up their initial mission and had a few branching options for what came next. They picked one and we ran a nice little dungeon adventure that flowed into their next story hook. After my friend was super complimentary about how I had either prepped for all the different options or been able to improv so well. I told him I appreciated the positive feedback, but I had really just prepped the one dungeon and no matter what story option they chose they were going to be doing some version of that adventure, reskinned as necessary.

He seemed pretty deflated and maybe a bit cheated that the story wasn't 100% reactive to what they chose, but I was like, dude, I'm not Skyrim. You're not going to pick a random mountain cave and have me have pre-planned the specific unique adventure therein.

It's funny how that works. I've had a near identical conversation with someone when we were playing 4e D&D. Like in order to have cool combat I needed to have encounters already designed to some degree. I have done some stuff where I had 6 set pieces I'd put together, even though realistically we'd only gonna get to 1 or 2, but usually that's only when I can easily recycle them -or already did.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Splicer posted:

I've run into this with players a bunch where they feel they have to have their character's personality and backstory completely locked down before the game even starts, but even with stuff like D&D often the characters I've ended up having the most fun and fully fleshed out personalities for started the first session as "Class: Ranger, Species: something nobody else has picked with a +dex mod". My favourite and longest running 4e character started with me taking over a prebuilt rogue trapfinder/lockpick NPC in session 2.
On thinking about it more it's interesting how people react to rules-heavy vs rules-light character gen stuff, where some people will regard the former as providing more freedom of character concept and some will see more freedom in the latter.

For some people, having the rules offer game mechanical weight to every aspect of their character is what makes those facets of the character real. For others, it creates the impression that because the rules are so extensive, anything not specifically covered is either forbidden or irrelevant. If you need to spend 13 character points to play the guitar, suddenly your character can't be a guitar player unless you pay those points, even if you just wanted it as a flavour thing.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Leperflesh posted:

Also, there's another word for open-ended sandbox gaming, and that's "aimless." I'm sure it can be done, but I sure haven't done it.

So two campaigns that I've run recently that were well received end up on an odd spot here1, because these were explicitly aimless campaigns, but both of them were campaigns where I told players up front "I want this campaign to be about lowkey, small conflicts, and the question to be why the characters are doing things. I'm not going to give you guys big threats to solve, I want this contemplative and a little sad." I may just not have a vocabulary I feel settled on, because using "aimless" as a deliberate noun, an aim even, is very different from aimlessness resulting from a table not establishing any coherent direction.

1Promethean 2e and Wanderhome, FWIW.

Giodo! posted:

Ha! Pretty cool that the illusion worked tbh. A lot of what we do in any sort of fiction is 'make illusions,' and the illusion that a cave full of kobolds and a camp full of bandits are totally different is to me just good GM execution. I guess it's kind of funny - he saw that what he thought was so impressive wasn't there, but I'm seeing an impressive execution of a different skill that he didn't even think of.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

NISEI is the name of the non-profit fan org publishing and doing organized play to keep Android/Netrunner alive, they're saying the Star Trek game had fans do the same thing first.

Well Star Trek already had a built in base of terminally online shut-ins so the labor force was readily available.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Giodo! posted:

Do you also tell children that Santa isn't real? :mad:

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Tulip posted:

Anyway back to that weird repeated DnD pitch - if you are not comparing DnD to other TTRPGs but are mostly comparing them to video games, then nearly any DnD DM would qualify as extremely open ended, reactive, and flexible. "The plot moves regardless of what you do" is a fun claim because the reason video games don't tend to do that is because it tends to be kind of pointless when things are scripted (now, a lot of timeloop games do have a world that moves without your intervention but part of the point is so that you can slide into "ah yes Tim always buys apples at the 10 minute mark so I can catch him there" kind of gameplay, rather than a single thing where if you miss your chance its gone). So when a GM is making that claim, they have some chance of backing it up because the way the plot moves on without players can be tuned so that its not just a frustrating or silly aside.

That can be very variable though - there are video games where that happens, and in those it can end up being more effective because it's much more accepted to replay or restore in video games (in other words all video games are timeloop games to some extent). If you aren't in the right place at the right time then you can try again and be there, whereas in an RPG it's just gone.

But the real trick is that it being able to prove in the table experience that the plot moved on and was tuned is very difficult unless it's very heavily player-driven.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
People don't like to feel like their characters' actions don't have any impact and creative solutions are shot down in favor of the ones the GM expected, but avoiding that doesn't mean expecting the players to proactively create the narrative while the GM more or less just adjudicates it on the fly. My experience is that most games are most satisfying when the GM has the major beats of a narrative in mind and adjusts it in reaction to player actions and collaborations. Of course, this should all be up front. At session 0, the GM should say "you are [A], your initial goal as a party is [B], and the main story will progress towards [C]" and players should be creating their characters with this in mind, and the GM should work with them to tie their characters into the main story.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I mean, some games do expect the players to do this, like Blades, and the GM guidelines there can be taken as advice for how to do this in other games.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
The devil there is in the word feel. The players can’t know for certain whether or not their characters’ actions made a difference unless they replay the game taking different actions, which isn’t likely (ironically it is only really possible when running modules!).

In other words, it’s possible for characters’ actions to make a difference but players not to feel they did, and vice versa. This isn’t addressed by most GM sections, since it turns out that not railroading the players doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t feel railroaded.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Are there any good 2 player RPGs? Could be 1 gm, 1 player; Two players; or switching the role of gm between players. Someone I've played with has interest in that and so do I, but I'm not sure what games are out there. I can only think of Breaking the Ice, which is a game about your PCs dating each other which might be a bit strange for our first choice.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Heliotrope posted:

Are there any good 2 player RPGs? Could be 1 gm, 1 player; Two players; or switching the role of gm between players. Someone I've played with has interest in that and so do I, but I'm not sure what games are out there. I can only think of Breaking the Ice, which is a game about your PCs dating each other which might be a bit strange for our first choice.

There's a podcast called Party Of One that explores a bunch of systems being done as a duo, it might be worth exploring.

Ironsworn gets a lot of mention for solo-play but it also works fine as a one-on-one.

Scarlet Heroes is an OSR game that started as a way to handle old adventures as a solo character which got developed further into Godbound which also works fine as a solo game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Heliotrope posted:

It's not explicitly designed for it, but World of Darkness games are excellent for this model of play. The Vampire the Requiem Chronicler's Guide has a section on 1 storyteller/1 player games.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Cthulhu Confidential is a two-player twist on Trail of Cthulhu, but I dunno if it's good.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Quick question to the chat: I recently gm'ed the second long-form session (basically the 2nd weekend me and my friends meet where we play from friday to sunday) and my group basically came down hard on my "the world moves on" -style of GMing, where I offer them side commissions if they take missions on a planet, which fall down by the wayside sometimes because they feel like another hook I'm presenting them with seems "more important" or "main-plotty" and they feel bad for not being able to take the opportunity.

Any tips for how to react or work with this? We're playing Mongoose Traveller in the Pirates of Drinax Campaign and at first the players seemed really into the general style of exploring options and space out there and creating allies & enemies.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Siivola posted:

Cthulhu Confidential is a two-player twist on Trail of Cthulhu, but I dunno if it's good.

I'm not as familiar with Cthulhu Confidential, but Night's Black Agents: Solo Ops uses the same Gumshoe One-2-One system and it's great.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Mr.Misfit posted:

Quick question to the chat: I recently gm'ed the second long-form session (basically the 2nd weekend me and my friends meet where we play from friday to sunday) and my group basically came down hard on my "the world moves on" -style of GMing, where I offer them side commissions if they take missions on a planet, which fall down by the wayside sometimes because they feel like another hook I'm presenting them with seems "more important" or "main-plotty" and they feel bad for not being able to take the opportunity.

Any tips for how to react or work with this? We're playing Mongoose Traveller in the Pirates of Drinax Campaign and at first the players seemed really into the general style of exploring options and space out there and creating allies & enemies.

I mean, the quick and dirty solution would be treat the side commissions like quests out of a video game that just sort of stick around until the players get to them, verisimilitude be damned. Maybe keep up a strait up quest log that records opportunities and gives advance warning if something is fleeting?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mr.Misfit posted:

Fellowship actually handles this pretty well; if the players take a significant amount of time recovering or healing (Downtime) the Overlord's plans advance by 1 tick up the ladder to completion, but there's a lot of things that allow the players to keep trucking along pursuing goals and skating by that allow them to retain resources without needing to just take a break and give the Overlord time to pursue their evil plans. At the end of every session, if the players handle things well and engage with the world, they can refresh an item's use, heal a stat or level two characters, but you can also pick one of those choices multiple times. The way I run it, I make sure the PCs know which missions are actually directly involved with the Overlord, but they want to do side missions too to broker Fellowship with different groups to gain benefits, so basically we have sessions where it's either reacting or working on improving things overall. So my advice is really just to clearly delineate what is big plot relevant so your players know what is and isn't side content, and you should use the moving on aspect but really just save it as a consequence to failure or defeat, y'know? Also the way I'm handling missing content is that they're going to get an airship but until then they're traveling overland by train so they get choices of what to engage with and can go back and engage when travel is more on-demand.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Probably just draw less attention to the stuff they're passing up. Time is pretty linear so when they choose one thing they don't choose another, but drawing a lot of attention to it kind of feels like rubbing it in their faces I guess.

The way campaign play tends to snowball also lends itself to this being a bit less stressful. Like in Blades you tend to open up a session with e.g. you can rob this rich guy or assassinate the leader of a rival gang. You choose one and not the other, and while you might lose the chance to do one thing, you likely opened doors to new heists, and if the emphasis is more on the opening doors than the closing ones it feels pretty light to leave them behind.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Mr.Misfit posted:

The approach I take in my current game is that the thing which causes time to move on isn't travelling and doing missions -- it's resting, repairing, and recovering. If you're willing to keep on pushing the risk of going into a situation at less than 100%, you can keep on chasing sidequests without letting the main plot fall by the wayside.

The other thing I'd suggest is ensuring that the sidequests you're offering them all have explicit rewards made clear that tie into what they perceive as the main plot. These don't have to specifically be loot (although of course they can be) but things like "These people would make useful allies against the pirates if only their food shortage problems were solved" or "Wait, fix a flood on Cephelon 9? Isn't that where the pirates' first mate was born? You bet you could get some useful leverage on him there" will work as well. Basically ensure that "which of these hooks is the main plot" isn't such an easy question to answer any more.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Whybird posted:

Basically ensure that "which of these hooks is the main plot" isn't such an easy question to answer any more.

Great suggestion, thanks for this write up!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Splicer posted:

My backstory is a wizard turned me onto a bugbear and gave me two craghammers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
And the bugbear said "Hey handsome, how 'bout you drop those Craghammers and let's see where this goes"