Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Decon posted:

So the only winning move is to not play?

It's the 'don't meet the nazis in the streets and they will just go away' approach.

my tax, rip best girl

skylined! fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/natashakorecki/status/1460362025771716617?s=20

So referring to the people Rittenhouse shot as victims is a step too far for the judge but Rittenhouse’s defense stating they are glad they were killed by Rittenhouse because they were subhuman violent insane monsters is a-ok :laffo:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

InsertPotPun posted:

you understand that, depending on the context, the "ok" symbol is still being used by nazis and assorted white nationalists, right?
and that it 100% has, is, and will be used as a psychological weapon against minorities in public places because of this "it's just the ok symbol, bro" cover, right?
really the only reason to dismiss this fact is ignorance or maliciousness, i'm just trying to gauge which.

ok only means "im a nazi" in the context of white supremacistz talking to each other

similarly woke only means "radical leftoracism" in the context of fox news talking heads bullshitting

as i pointed out in the second paragraph of that post, context matters. and therefore people will know what you mean when you use the word woke (or the ok symbol) because you are not a white supremacist

you should not avoid either the ok symbol or "woke" simply because white supremacists use them in their own context

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

skylined! posted:

It's the 'don't meet the nazis in the streets and they will just go away' approach.

Did someone suggest that or did they suggest that if you go out onto the streets and try to confront a mob of Nazis alone you might not turn them away from their Nazism

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
This is an incredibly grim and important bit of reporting to convey just how fully we have failed healthcare workers in this country: https://twitter.com/edyong209/status/1460601073882836994?s=20

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

Did someone suggest that or did they suggest that if you go out onto the streets and try to confront a mob of Nazis alone you might not turn them away from their Nazism

I have in fact heard a lot of center-right liberal democrats say that if you just don't meet proud boys in the streets, they will go away. I was not suggesting anyone itt has argued that, though I wouldn't doubt it at some time in the past.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Harold Fjord posted:

That stretches the comparison beyond usefulness, but I'm definitely team "changing the hearts and minds of open Nazis is a fool's errand." The point of meeting them in the street isn't "I can fix him!" like I'm a teenager with a crush on an abusive person; it's to remind them that their fantasies of awakening the sleeping beast are indeed just fantasies and that they do not in fact represent the everyman.

The scenario is me asking my liberal family to maybe stop using buzzwords popularized by the far right because it's intentionally imprecise language that we can see pulling in more concepts nearly daily to attempt to toxify them. Lib and let die's prescription seems to be, well, just let them. I'm not keen on watching family members that I generally agree with politically adopt right wing language and the thinking that comes with it.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
reposting from the rittenhouse thread:

https://twitter.com/Suntimes/status/1460652847347941388

which I think is beyond biased and outright insane. But hey, I'm not a judge.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Cranappleberry posted:

Who the hell is this judge?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Decon posted:

That stretches the comparison beyond usefulness, but I'm definitely team "changing the hearts and minds of open Nazis is a fool's errand." The point of meeting them in the street isn't "I can fix him!" like I'm a teenager with a crush on an abusive person; it's to remind them that their fantasies of awakening the sleeping beast are indeed just fantasies and that they do not in fact represent the everyman.

The scenario is me asking my liberal family to maybe stop using buzzwords popularized by the far right because it's intentionally imprecise language that we can see pulling in more concepts nearly daily to attempt to toxify them. Lib and let die's prescription seems to be, well, just let them. I'm not keen on watching family members that I generally agree with politically adopt right wing language and the thinking that comes with it.

I think the idea of reaching/changing people can be incapsulated somewhat by the difference between your response to me earlier (regarding the term woke) and somebody else's which put words in my mouth and made ridiculous assumptions about my life and motives.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Crows Turn Off posted:

Who the hell is this judge?

The judge's ringtone is straight up a Trump theme song and earlier he disallowed the prosecution from zooming in on a video because apple has algorithms and ai that would "change the pixels to show what Apple thinks happened"

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

BRJohnson posted:

I think the idea of reaching/changing people can be incapsulated somewhat by the difference between your response to me earlier (regarding the term woke) and somebody else's which put words in my mouth and made ridiculous assumptions about my life and motives.

I think they were treating you overly rudely, but I stand by my thought that some people are simply too far gone and the best that you can hope for with them is that they scurry off to find a rock to hide under. If someone's reached the point that they're openly marching in a "6MWNE" shirt, there's nothing you're going to say that they haven't already been primed to somehow deny. Again, in that case, the goal is to get them to scurry under some rock and hopefully never procreate.

And to bring it back to my family, you, and your friends, these are people I don't consider too far gone by a fuckin longshot... But people are kept from being too far gone by, well, being called out by people they trust and care about. The radicalization pipeline is very, very real, and realizing you're being sucked down it is painful... I know this firsthand.

No, I'm not saying all of your friends saying "woke" derogatorily are gonna be Q followers and/or Nazis by March--the likeliest outcome is that none of them shift politically overall. I'm just saying that "getting outraged at woke things" is definitely an entry point to the pipeline.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Re: woke, if you hear people use that term derisively and bust out with :goonsay: "actually "woke" is a term from African American Vernacular English that was coopted by white urban liberals and then twisted by the conservative media... :words:", that is a really excellent example of the kind of useless messaging that will do absolutely nothing against propaganda. That's the bland academic stuff that makes non-college educated Americans fall asleep at best and turn against you at worst. That type of messaging isn't something that can be easily pinned on "the moderates" or "the left"; it's really a separate problem from the mods' insistence on half-assed economic policy. Even though McAuliffe isn't a left wing politician, that kind of rhetoric became a part of the conversation surrounding the campaign and it loving killed him.

How do you deal with propaganda, well; I'm not an expert. I guess try to take the word out of it, and bring the conversation from the word "woke" to what it really means - respecting people - and ask them why they don't want to respect people. Everybody understands respect.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 16, 2021

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Joke's on you, I'm making motherfucking GUMBO for my family Thanksgiving dinner. :cmon:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

marshmonkey posted:

This is an incredibly grim and important bit of reporting to convey just how fully we have failed healthcare workers in this country: https://twitter.com/edyong209/status/1460601073882836994?s=20

This article makes an important point, and I'd like to add that it isn't just doctors and nurses feeling this at big institutions. Pharmacy was already in a destructive race to the bottom before Covid, and our corporate oligopoly running it has only made things immensely worse. Everyone is exhausted, almost everyone I know from cashiers to techs to pharmacists in the half of the state I cover has caught covid by now, our staffing is cut, our lunches cut, our hours expanded, our responsibilities ballooned and people are going to the hospital with cardiac events from the stress. CVS killed a pharmacist by refusing to let her leave while experiencing a goddamn heart attack- I've got people here having to stay home because they've had aneurysms, or shown up to work with a BP of 190/110. I found out the pelvic pain I worked with over the summer was a kidney infection I developed while working too long without getting to sit or hydrate enough, which isn't a surprise because several of our pharmacies operate 8a-9p with one pharmacist and don't even have bathrooms.

Everyone who can retire or leave for another job already has, and everyone else is looking to do the same. We're overrun and patients are pissed because of the wait times, screaming at us every day. God help you if you're a parent and a pharmacist, because you aren't seeing your kids again. If they get sick, I hope you have family members you can trust to care for them because there's no one left to cover for you.

That's all before the political issues. No one masks in Louisiana, half the population believes the vaccine will make you infertile, severed from God or give you alien babies, doctors tell their patients not to mask while writing them zpak/ivermectin/hydroxychloroquine/famotidine cocktails at insane doses for multiple month's supplies "because they don't believe that malarkey about them", and too many of my coworkers AGREE WITH THEM. I'm so tired of having these fights every day. As soon as my student loans are done I'm out forever.

Sorry for the derail. We did have a darkly funny event last month when corporate bought pizza for our chain. By bought pizza, I mean they gave everyone prepaid cards, ordered dominos and had us send techs to collect it just to have all of the cards decline. Any techs who paid out of pocket will NOT be reimbursed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cranappleberry posted:

Worth noting this is how his Defense Attorney is closing the trial

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1460364430034751495?s=20

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

This article makes an important point, and I'd like to add that it isn't just doctors and nurses feeling this at big institutions. Pharmacy was already in a destructive race to the bottom before Covid, and our corporate oligopoly running it has only made things immensely worse. Everyone is exhausted, almost everyone I know from cashiers to techs to pharmacists in the half of the state I cover has caught covid by now, our staffing is cut, our lunches cut, our hours expanded, our responsibilities ballooned and people are going to the hospital with cardiac events from the stress. CVS killed a pharmacist by refusing to let her leave while experiencing a goddamn heart attack- I've got people here having to stay home because they've had aneurysms, or shown up to work with a BP of 190/110. I found out the pelvic pain I worked with over the summer was a kidney infection I developed while working too long without getting to sit or hydrate enough, which isn't a surprise because several of our pharmacies operate 8a-9p with one pharmacist and don't even have bathrooms.

Everyone who can retire or leave for another job already has, and everyone else is looking to do the same. We're overrun and patients are pissed because of the wait times, screaming at us every day. God help you if you're a parent and a pharmacist, because you aren't seeing your kids again. If they get sick, I hope you have family members you can trust to care for them because there's no one left to cover for you.

That's all before the political issues. No one masks in Louisiana, half the population believes the vaccine will make you infertile, severed from God or give you alien babies, doctors tell their patients not to mask while writing them zpak/ivermectin/hydroxychloroquine/famotidine cocktails at insane doses for multiple month's supplies "because they don't believe that malarkey about them", and too many of my coworkers AGREE WITH THEM. I'm so tired of having these fights every day. As soon as my student loans are done I'm out forever.

Sorry for the derail. We did have a darkly funny event last month when corporate bought pizza for our chain. By bought pizza, I mean they gave everyone prepaid cards, ordered dominos and had us send techs to collect it just to have all of the cards decline. Any techs who paid out of pocket will NOT be reimbursed.

Yeah, between people who burned out, nurses and doctors who died from covid, and those who are just tired of the abuse, its going to get a lot worse.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Decon posted:

I think they were treating you overly rudely, but I stand by my thought that some people are simply too far gone and the best that you can hope for with them is that they scurry off to find a rock to hide under. If someone's reached the point that they're openly marching in a "6MWNE" shirt, there's nothing you're going to say that they haven't already been primed to somehow deny. Again, in that case, the goal is to get them to scurry under some rock and hopefully never procreate.

And to bring it back to my family, you, and your friends, these are people I don't consider too far gone by a fuckin longshot... But people are kept from being too far gone by, well, being called out by people they trust and care about. The radicalization pipeline is very, very real, and realizing you're being sucked down it is painful... I know this firsthand.

No, I'm not saying all of your friends saying "woke" derogatorily are gonna be Q followers and/or Nazis by March--the likeliest outcome is that none of them shift politically overall. I'm just saying that "getting outraged at woke things" is definitely an entry point to the pipeline.

I agree completely, and I don't think tone policing passionate leftists or such is a priority considering all our problems and the nature of "the other side". Given my time, money, and surroundings, talking to folks about issues in a manner which will hopefully bring them around is all I really do that feels significant at all.

Also I'm not friends with any chuds, its more coworkers and community members harboring those views (and as I cannot sever I work their ears too). Worst among my actual friends are hippy naturalist types who don't want to Vax, and former service members who are "real Republicans not what these horrible Republicans are also #notallwhitemen" moderate types. Even they are receptive to the message of impending self engineered doom though, at least.

Also lol I started calling a young guy at work "Hitlerjugend" and he must have figured out what it means as he's stopped asking "where were all the jews on 911", at least around me.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 16, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cranappleberry posted:

You posted, from a phone or computer that's your property, protected by the law, administered by a judge

Owned by your own hypocrisy.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

OctaMurk posted:

ok only means "im a nazi" in the context of white supremacistz talking to each other
similarly woke only means "radical leftoracism" in the context of fox news talking heads bullshitting
as i pointed out in the second paragraph of that post, context matters. and therefore people will know what you mean when you use the word woke (or the ok symbol) because you are not a white supremacist
you should not avoid either the ok symbol or "woke" simply because white supremacists use them in their own context
this is what you said " Its like that time a while back where the OK symbol somehow meant your a nazi lmao."
"lmao" at what exactly?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Worth noting this is how his Defense Attorney is closing the trial

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1460364430034751495?s=20

Yeah, between people who burned out, nurses and doctors who died from covid, and those who are just tired of the abuse, its going to get a lot worse.

Yeah, the real salient issue here being that the system isn't just in trouble, but broken and burning out at every possible level. The whole thing!. The industry that takes up 18% of the nation's GDP turning human lives into money for Aetna is on fire and teetering on nonfunctional.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

marshmonkey posted:

I am a biased nurse but if Biden wants to do targeted student loan forgiveness healthcare would be a great place to start. Maybe “x amount of loans for x years worked.” Because it’s hosed right now, our hospitals are understaffed everywhere.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Cranappleberry posted:

This judge has to have some serious skeletons in his closet, like KKK member or some poo poo

At this point go for a mistrial and get federal charges on the fucker, because this judge has to be a Nazi, there's just no way

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Pharmacy is legit in some like upton sinclair style labor situation and the stories I regularly hear from pharmacist friends are just loving insane. one buddy used to send me like weekly videos of his [major pharmacy chain] store getting robbed and this was in addition to them expecting him to work 80+ hours a week while obsessively monitoring productivity #s at every minute of the day. poo poo is so utterly broken in corporate pharmacy.

Nursing and EMS are in a similarly dysfunctional, non-sustainable, and life-destroying situation. I don't even know what could be done to fix all of it outside of hugely overhauling labor protections/laws for health care workers

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

hobbez posted:

I am a biased nurse but if Biden wants to do targeted student loan forgiveness healthcare would be a great place to start. Maybe “x amount of loans for x years worked.” Because it’s hosed right now, our hospitals are understaffed everywhere.

Just in general, so you can look into it, if you're a nurse at a not for profit or government hospital, you might want to check out the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, which will forgive your loans after 10 years of working there.

If you're a licensed registered nurse or advanced practice registered nurse, and work at a hospital or clinic with a critical nursing shortage, you might qualify for the Nurse Corps Loan Repayment Program (which forgives 60% of your nursing school debt in exchange for 2 years work there with another 25% if you work a third year) or the NHSC Loan Repayment Program, which gives you loan forgiveness based on a formula and need.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Crows Turn Off posted:

What policies have actually even been enacted by Biden that would impact turkey prices this quickly?

If I had to guess, it's just delayed impact from some Trump policy.

It's the politoon with the Gas Prices lever embedded in the Resolute desk, except it's turkeys for some reason.

Maybe the President could have a big impact on turkey prices if they abused the pardon power to pardon every turkey in the nation or something

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It is wild how the judge isn't just favoring the defendant but openly doting on him like he's his kid nephew and it's take your son to work day.

He's already excluded all the evidence that might convict him and assured that a killer getting off scott free is basically a lock, but he just has to rub it in for the cameras.

I'd say it's like he's trying for a mistrial but lol he's been a judge for decades I'm sure he knows better than me that the justice system is rigged to serve people like Kyle and a mistrial would never happen even if the judge gave him a big bearhug and "in an unusual move" appointed Rittenhouse jury foreman.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The GOP House conference meeting sounds fun.

- Some members are complaining that they can't show their faces back in their districts because they gave Biden a "win" with the infrastructure bill and people are asking why Trump didn't do it.

- One member is complaining that another member tweeted out a picture of a previous meeting they had and the picture included them wearing a mask. They are asking to not allow photos.

- Some of them are trying to force a vote to remove Committee Ranking Members who voted for the BIF.

And there is a seminar (that has lasted for 15-minutes so far) on anime in general and Attack on Titan in particular.

https://twitter.com/juliegraceb/status/1460617059310739461

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

kraftwerk I dont want to skip over you addressing this topic with effort and I generally agree with what you say but I think you’re underestimating how much of a sea change modern media and social media is in the propaganda arena here. I don’t disagree that it was likely a huge struggle for the Bolshevik to win over the Russian peasantry against their long-held beliefs, and that they had to work in secret while organizing, but I also think it’s important to discuss that once the Bolsheviks won the argument, it generally stayed won, you know? I’ll concede I’m partially hypothesizing here; I don’t know of any historical accounts that deal specifically with the stickiness of the communist message in the lead up to revolution. (if you do please correct me.) But, given the literacy rate of Russia around 1900 and the lack of the broadcasting technology we now have, I would guess that one thing the Bolsheviks didn’t have to contend with was a population that was intaking ideological pro-status-quo propaganda every single day, not only for news (if they would have cared to engage in that) but also embedded in the assumptions of all major forms of entertainment. It’s not as though an emissary from the czar was going to come by and quiz all the farmers and factory workers on their political opinions every shift, and there wasn’t a massive entertainment system that enforced the ruling hierarchy via normalization. In other words, I would guess that if you truly converted a peasant or worker, they’d by and large stay converted. (If I’m incorrect here, please let me know- I would genuinely love to read something on this subject that makes things now feel like less of an historical dead end to me!) They weren’t watching a nightly news channel that tried to hold them to their old beliefs about divine rulers, and their entertainments and social events didn’t revolve around media that also did that, even if done innocently simply by the assumptions in the work. It seems to me that the messaging power of global media is unmatched in history and additionally nearly fully captured by capital, and that presents a unique challenge for the left which may not be solvable via the old methods, and I don’t know what the solution or way around that is. I hope someone can find it

As far as I know, the Bolsheviks were never especially successful in winning over the peasantry. Their core base was urban factory workers and soldiers, and their organizing didn't really extend to rural areas. Even after the October Revolution, the peasants' political support still largely leaned toward other parties in the following elections. The Bolsheviks cemented their control by allying with leftist parties that had more support from the farmers, using those alliances to destroy shared opponents and strengthen their urban-military power base, and then purging those allies when they became more inconvenient than important. Their high level of influence among soldiers and workers in the major cities left the Bolsheviks in a good position to make authoritarian moves when the opportunity arrived. Even during the Russian Civil War, the Bolsheviks had a difficult relationship with the peasants, who often bore the brunt of the Bolsheviks' war policy. But once they'd consolidated their power in the cities, they were able to more-or-less dominate the peasantry with force.

VitalSigns posted:

It is fascinating seeing these takes now after years of seeing, even on this board, the polar opposite complaint: that the twitter people are all the racist sexist woman-hating straight white male dirtbag left.

Driving a wedge between the Democratic party and working class interests was a deliberate strategy not by "the twitter Left" (lol a bunch of powerless nobodies who certainly aren't directing Democratic party messaging and campaigns) but by the party leadership to intentionality sever from economic populism, which was a threat to the party's big funding bases in the finance and tech sectors. With the assumption that this loss could be made up by going all in on identity politics and getting woke on race and gender because demographics are destiny and white men are on their way out etc ("But will breaking up the banks solve raaaacism?" "If it had been Lehman Sisters, Wall Street wouldn't have crashed" etc)

Terry McAuliffe's campaign wasn't run by "the twitter Left", it was run by diehard Clintonite establishment types who believed they had solved politics and the answer is: say "Trump and Youngkin are white males who need to check their privilege" and the affluent white women will stampede from the Panera Bread to the voting booth.

Now that this strategy has failed they're just blaming it all on the left being too woke that they just barely a year ago said was too racist and too close to the *tsk tsk* prob-lem-attic white working class. One year from ":qq: snake emojis are sexist" to "twitter is making my son apologize for 5000 years of male sexual assault :qq:" without a hint of self-awareness

Also almost goes without saying but notice how the conclusion isn't "oh man we've gotta focus back on economic issues facing the working class" because again finance and tech won't like that, it's just "gotta get more racist"

The important question for the left right now isn't "why are the Democrats losing". It's "why isn't the left winning" - and, even more importantly, "what can the left do to start winning".

And when I ask what the left can do to start winning, I don't mean "how can the Democrats help the left win", I mean "how can the left build the public support and popular movement needed to win against both liberals and conservatives with their own power and on their own merits, without having to beg and plead the liberals to pretty please hand control of the government to them".

The centrists can make whatever excuses they want, but the left's not going to rise to power by smugly remarking about how the centrists lose because they're not left enough. If leftism is such an easy ticket to electoral victory, then start winning elections. Not just in the bluest of blue districts, but all over the country, beating out both centrists and conservatives in competitive seats. A political ideology with one senator and maybe a dozen House reps doesn't get to brag about how it's discovered the one weird trick to universal electoral success everywhere in the country.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- Some members are complaining that they can't show their faces back in their districts because they gave Biden a "win" with the infrastructure bill and people are asking why Trump didn't do it.

- One member is complaining that another member tweeted out a picture of a previous meeting they had and the picture included them wearing a mask. They are asking to not allow photos.

- Some of them are trying to force a vote to remove Committee Ranking Members who voted for the BIF.

And there is a seminar (that has lasted for 15-minutes so far) on anime in general and Attack on Titan in particular.

Paul Gosar being a 4chan user is the least surprising thing to me tbh

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I bought a turkey to throw in my freezer because it was so cheap

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

BRJohnson posted:

I didn't put words in your mouth, I understood your words and called you out on them. Your response to being told that you were perpetuating right-wing propaganda was 'yes, but when the people in my meat-space say the word they mean something else and therefore it's not worth challenging'. This is about the most common defense used when people want to deploy oppressive language and not own up to the moral implications of doing so. It's boring, obvious, lazy and obnoxious and you don't get a free pass to ignore your own failings because you're in search of polite conversation that doesn't challenge your use of appropriated language.

Seriously, go back and read your excuses. You were presented with evidence of white supremacy in action and instead of doing the bare minimum of even accepting that there might be more work to do in understanding how language is coopted to serve the oppressor, you said 'sure but, nah, not guilty, sounds like tone policing'.

If you take anything from this please go read the James Baldwin piece I posted earlier. It's like a 10 minute read, tops. Then put me on ignore or whatever.

Mellow Seas posted:

Re: woke, if you hear people use that term derisively and bust out with :goonsay: "actually "woke" is a term from African American Vernacular English that was coopted by white urban liberals and then twisted by the conservative media... :words:", that is a really excellent example of the kind of useless messaging that will do absolutely nothing against propaganda. That's the bland academic stuff that makes non-college educated Americans fall asleep at best and turn against you at worst. That type of messaging isn't something that can be easily pinned on "the moderates" or "the left"; it's really a separate problem from the mods' insistence on half-assed economic policy. Even though McAuliffe isn't a left wing politician, that kind of rhetoric became a part of the conversation surrounding the campaign and it loving killed him.

I think the conversation has been more about how someone relates to people in their every day life, and challenges their usage of language such as 'woke' as now a stand-in for any number of verboten racist/classist/sexist/cultural pejoratives. I don't think it's an unpopular argument that explaining anything as a politician means you are losing.

I challenge the notion that non-college educated people can grasp some simple concepts like 'language has power' and 'propaganda is deployed to shift how and what you think'. There's this thread that seems to exist among any college-educated group that non-college degree holders are somehow incapable of understanding the world around them beyond simple shapes and colors and it's Not Great. It's classist and really only works to provide more fodder for the right about how out of touch the liberal elite is.

quote:

How do you deal with propaganda, well; I'm not an expert. I guess try to take the word out of it, and bring the conversation from the word "woke" to what it really means - respecting people - and ask them why they don't want to respect people. Everybody understands respect.

Calling out someone being casually racist (as dropping 'woke' into a conversation as a means of being critical of something is often just that - see Glenn Youngkin's entire campaign) is also different than intensive deprogramming of right-wing extremists. There are libraries written on the latter; it's unrealistic that everyone become an expert in the field.

Further, 'woke' or 'being woke' or 'stay work' isn't some concept of mutual respect, or at least hasn't been historically. I guess if further bastardizing it gets your co-worker to stop using it as a stand-in for the N word with a hard R that's a win, but I still think it's important to have even a wikipedia article's understanding of the term and how it's been stolen.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

This is a good derail/new rail and I now feel guilty for complaining that it took an hour and a half to get a covid booster on Sunday.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

punishedkissinger posted:

I'm sorry but there is no loving way that low info suburban voters are angry at dems over Leftist Twitter critiques of the party, this is loving stupid and contradictory. You gotta provide evidence if you're going to try and blame a tiny minority with no real power for the failings of the entire party.
I included a quote from one of the Democratic voters in the Virginia focus group. The point wasn't literally "MT lost because Left Twitter". I'm the one who posted the article that said he lost because of the coronavirus school lockdowns in virginia pages ago (e: I posted it in the virginia thread). The point was that we've known that low info voters are susceptible to messaging problems and simple surface level arguments for a long time and oh here's a group of democratic voters expressing their low info takes that that just cost us an election.

The point I ended with was like Kraftwork and others have said repeatedly the messaging people are getting to prompt them to vote D needs to be fixed so it's easier to digest and understand, so it works in our favor, rather than against us. And if we don't do that, we don't get into power to make sure the wheels on the planet don't come off, and that's the game.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 16, 2021

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My advice to anybody is to delete all your social media accounts, it will resolve a lot of internal conflicts you may not even know you have. Anybody starting at the point where they are assuming the actual left has any influence or power over anything, anywhere in this country needs to sit down and seriously reconsider their media consumption habits. The two centers of ideological messaging and power in this country are Langley and freedomeagle.facebook

skylined! posted:

Ok I am just going to be direct - don't use the term if you can't do it justice, or are comfortable being a useful tool for fascist propaganda.

Do you have the temerity to doubt the Susan Sarandon is in Possession of the Lathe of Heaven theory of history?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Dems in disarray is what I am gathering from this

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Imagine wanting to be some wussy woke Dem struggling to breathe through a mask when you could hang out with a bunch of cool anime dudes making off-color jokes and sassy ladies who do crossfit and shoot guns.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

. If leftism is such an easy ticket to electoral victory, then start winning elections. Not just in the bluest of blue districts, but all over the country, beating out both centrists and conservatives in competitive seats. A political ideology with one senator and maybe a dozen House reps doesn't get to brag about how it's discovered the one weird trick to universal electoral success everywhere in the country.

I genuinely have no idea what this part is supposed to be responding to but the fact is that rich liberals with news shows will unite with conservatives to undermine leftism every time so it's not an easy ticket. But that's no excuse for politicians to not try to do the right thing.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

skylined! posted:

This is a good derail/new rail and I now feel guilty for complaining that it took an hour and a half to get a covid booster on Sunday.

If it makes you feel better, we feel a little guilty about it too even though we know better. We don't do this job because we want to complicate your day or frustrate things; we're trying to help people. It's out of our control because we only have so many pairs of hands, but the frustration is real.

Everything behind the counter with us is effectively a domesticated poison; painstakingly designed, synthesized, tested and distributed to work for specific problems in specific circumstances for well defined patient parameters including age, allergy, weight, medication history, and even financial status. This job require vigilance because there's so much that can go wrong and maim or kill someone we were trying to help because we're distracted by two dozen things at a time for 12 hours straight. But corporate is going to continue doing things wrong on purpose because it makes more money that way.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

skylined! posted:

I didn't put words in your mouth, I understood your words and called you out on them. Your response to being told that you were perpetuating right-wing propaganda was 'yes, but when the people in my meat-space say the word they mean something else and therefore it's not worth challenging'.

I don't think it is worth challenging if I risk coming off anything like you are. You talk about classist elitism while you are telling me what the people I interact with actually mean, what I actually mean. You casually made assumptions about my personal life and declared my true motives.

This is a good topic that I would certainly speak of with my friends and family. But some people at work already roll their eyes and won't engage with the "bleeding heart tree hugging democrat". Considering building a ground up labor movement, I'm not going to lose my in with the ones who will somewhat listen by explaining that woke is the same as a hard r n word. Like you think some of these people need a loving code word anyway?

As I've said probably way too many times and often tooloud and drunk, unless you're willing to kill or otherwise remove people from the equation, you have to try to reach them instead cause nobody wants to do that work.* I can (and do) shame people for plainly vile statements but we still must work or live.

*the reaching people, not the killing which I obviously hope you don't view as a solution

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 16, 2021

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Bernie swept the first four primary states and only lost when the centrists rallied around their guy and the pandemic killed in-person campaigning. India Walton won the Democrat primary for a seat republicans usually don't run for, then lost the general to the guy she beat. The Green Party wasn't allowed on the ballot in many states because the Democrat party sued. Lee Carter was pushed out by his own party for doing things like repealing right-to-work and capping insulin prices in Virginia. Ilhan Omar gets called anti-Semitic by members of her own party for fighting for Palestinian rights. Katie Porter got redistricted into a more conservative area, threatening her chances for re-election.

darn why can't the left win elections?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

CommieGIR posted:

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Yeah, the real salient issue here being that the system isn't just in trouble, but broken and burning out at every possible level. The whole thing!. The industry that takes up 18% of the nation's GDP turning human lives into money for Aetna is on fire and teetering on nonfunctional.
It seems like the kind of burnout/mass resignation that will take a while for it to be felt by everyday dipshit Americans, too, so that'll be fun.