Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
D3 started as a bad game, then through many patches it was a great game, then they stopped development and it slid back to mediocre. It still holds up against others in its genre though imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

That's been the business model for Civilization for decades

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

D2 Remastered exists for the same reason WOW Classic exists: They honestly think that it will stop people from running private servers.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Kheldarn posted:

D2 Remastered exists for the same reason WOW Classic exists: They honestly think that it will stop people from running private servers.

?

It's a relatively cheap way to earn some money and build hype around the brand for the lead up to d4

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Hey, listen... Diablo was actually built from day one to steal the money in your pockets. The original design document for Diablo was that they'd sell tiny expansion packs at the checkout at groceries, gas stations, gamestops, etc. that you'd install into your game and "get another hit" of that sweet sweet loot loop.

The real Diablo has been with us all along.

All... along.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Oh hey, there is the android thread. Randomly stumbled on World of Airports. Has anyone tried it? Apparently been out for 2 years. I'm up to the third airport unlocked right now (Prague). So far, the monetization seems really light for a f2p game. Gold lets you unlock planes (you still have the buy the planes using money specific to the airport you are playing). And the gold can be converted to cash as well. But so far, I haven't used my gold yet. They also have a way to let you make gold by selling planes after a certain point. Also a mission to visit a player's airport 100 times (be it one you've rolled the dice for or put in a friend's name) nets you 1 gold as well. And mission is repeatable.

Gameplay isn't much different I suppose from tiny tower, farmville, simpsons game (the one where you build your own version of the town), etc. Airplanes show up on a queue for the runway and you select them into a ramp/terminal. Once they land, you go through the motion of parking the plane, start the offboarding, unloading luggage, fuel the plane, etc. And each of those services has levels you can upgrade to reduce the time it takes along with buying more of them.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

JuffoWup posted:

Oh hey, there is the android thread. Randomly stumbled on World of Airports. Has anyone tried it? Apparently been out for 2 years. I'm up to the third airport unlocked right now (Prague). So far, the monetization seems really light for a f2p game. Gold lets you unlock planes (you still have the buy the planes using money specific to the airport you are playing). And the gold can be converted to cash as well. But so far, I haven't used my gold yet. They also have a way to let you make gold by selling planes after a certain point. Also a mission to visit a player's airport 100 times (be it one you've rolled the dice for or put in a friend's name) nets you 1 gold as well. And mission is repeatable.

Gameplay isn't much different I suppose from tiny tower, farmville, simpsons game (the one where you build your own version of the town), etc. Airplanes show up on a queue for the runway and you select them into a ramp/terminal. Once they land, you go through the motion of parking the plane, start the offboarding, unloading luggage, fuel the plane, etc. And each of those services has levels you can upgrade to reduce the time it takes along with buying more of them.

Seems like they missed an opportunity to call it World of Aircraft

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
lmao apparently the pikmin version of pokemon go is blocking and delaying notifications as well as causing them to re-send themselves multiple times

https://www.androidpolice.com/notifications-feeling-sluggish-this-popular-android-game-may-be-to-blame/

i've definitely had text notifications come through hours late, stopped getting notifications from certain things, and started getting previously cleared notifications reappearing as "new" notifications (eg a gpay one from getting lunch yesterday appearing as a new gpay notif at 5am this morning) but had put it down to either updating to android 12 or carrier problems until i found this article today.

havent seen it mentioned in the thread so not sure if anyone is playing it but i figured it wouldnt hurt to let people know in case other people are also getting yelled at by their partners for "ignoring" messages

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's on Steam these days too, but still really enjoying The Battle of Polytopia.

You can play the game in a good meaningful way completely for free. The microtransactions add more civs to the mix which can make the game much more complicated/longer. They're mostly reasonably priced, and they have sales. (There's literally an "I'm rich" civ that's $6 CAD, but the rest of the normal ones are $1.60. There are also unique ones that are a buck more, and they have unique rules. I haven't tried them yet.)

It's a Civilization-like game, but focused down to tile/turn-based tactics and resource-allocation.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just to clarify, what that means is that the game always ends in a drawn out hell war and your entire game economy up to then is to support that. Not that that's a bad thing, Polytopia whips rear end! But a nation builder it is not.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Just to clarify, what that means is that the game always ends in a drawn out hell war and your entire game economy up to then is to support that. Not that that's a bad thing, Polytopia whips rear end! But a nation builder it is not.
No, it's absolutely not a nation builder. It's somewhere between tactical wargame + puzzle in the guise of a civ-like game.

But it plays great in mobile format.

Also "drawn out war" is more the Dominion mode. You can play purely for score in Perfection mode, which just ends in 30 turns.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

quite stretched out posted:

lmao apparently the pikmin version of pokemon go is blocking and delaying notifications as well as causing them to re-send themselves multiple times

https://www.androidpolice.com/notifications-feeling-sluggish-this-popular-android-game-may-be-to-blame/

i've definitely had text notifications come through hours late, stopped getting notifications from certain things, and started getting previously cleared notifications reappearing as "new" notifications (eg a gpay one from getting lunch yesterday appearing as a new gpay notif at 5am this morning) but had put it down to either updating to android 12 or carrier problems until i found this article today.

havent seen it mentioned in the thread so not sure if anyone is playing it but i figured it wouldnt hurt to let people know in case other people are also getting yelled at by their partners for "ignoring" messages

I definitely experienced slow notifications and general lagginess, so I uninstalled it. I like the idea and think it could be fun to do, but not at the expense of the rest of my phone.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm a little confused why they thought Pokemon Go but with Pikmin was a good idea when Pokemon Go but Harry Potter failed.

I love me some Pikmin but most people never even heard of it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Renegret posted:

I'm a little confused why they thought Pokemon Go but with Pikmin was a good idea when Pokemon Go but Harry Potter failed.

Also pokemon go, but Settlers of Catan
Also pokemon go, but Jurassic Park

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Renegret posted:

Well, because Harry Potter was literally Pokemon Go with wand minigames.

Pikmin at least is more like an idle game except with steps rather than idling.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

JuffoWup posted:

Hey this seems rad, thanks for the heads up!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

NPR Journalizard posted:

I'd be down, but trying to imagine the mechanics is making me lol

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

If it were like Pokemon GO, you'd only find sheep and sticks in the middle of the city, and one small park in the suburbs would occasionally have bricks.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Vulpes posted:

Seems like they missed an opportunity to call it World of Aircraft

Eh, I'm ok with it. Also, I realized I forgot another little thing of the game:

https://worldofairports.com/radar

This is only showing player aircraft. NPC aircraft pretty much teleport considering they are back arriving at your airport shortly after takeoff. No timers to accelerate in this game...

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

JuffoWup posted:

No timers to accelerate in this game...

Playing this last night this was the biggest question I had. There were a lot of times where my stands were full of planes and servicing was happening but I was pretty much just staring at my phone waiting for one of the plane icons to turn yellow for me to intervene. Is this the kind of game where there'll be a lot of waiting around or having to log off so time passes or something? It just kinda feels like there's not much to do between servicing planes. Also I could probably do without the parking minigame, feels kinda shoved in there to give us something else to do.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

explosivo posted:

Playing this last night this was the biggest question I had. There were a lot of times where my stands were full of planes and servicing was happening but I was pretty much just staring at my phone waiting for one of the plane icons to turn yellow for me to intervene. Is this the kind of game where there'll be a lot of waiting around or having to log off so time passes or something? It just kinda feels like there's not much to do between servicing planes. Also I could probably do without the parking minigame, feels kinda shoved in there to give us something else to do.

In the early game/airport, no. Inn is limited to 5 service vehicles of each type. The next airport is 10 while prg is 15. Which means for a lot more constantly switching to another plane to hit new services on. Nothing I've seen for logging off. The closest to that I've read about in later airports like iad, is to drop back to the main menu once you have released a batch of aircraft. That wipes them when you load back keeping runway congestion down.

I agree the minigames are annoying. Parking is ok, but wait until you are offered to land. Can't crash the plane, but hooboy are the controls sloppy. You can hit x to decline a minigame or just turn them off in the settings.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

JuffoWup posted:

I agree the minigames are annoying. Parking is ok, but wait until you are offered to land. Can't crash the plane, but hooboy are the controls sloppy. You can hit x to decline a minigame or just turn them off in the settings.

Oh this is good to know, the parking isn't too bad but landing sounds worse. I am enjoying the management stuff though!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

It honestly wasn't too bad, but I wasn't enough of a settlers guy to care all that much.

You could walk around and explore locations, which would give different resources, and use those to build up locations that you could become the mayor of. There was a little sidekick you could send out to explore for you as well.

I stuck it out for a week or 3, but like most of those games it was a complete battery hog, and I couldn't be bothered after a while.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

NPR Journalizard posted:

Also pokemon go, but Jurassic Park

i mean jurassic park isnt exactly a relatively unknown franchise,t and its not hard to imagine kids getting stoked about dinosaurs running about in their street and parks and such

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

quite stretched out posted:

i mean jurassic park isnt exactly a relatively unknown franchise,t and its not hard to imagine kids getting stoked about dinosaurs running about in their street and parks and such

Sure, but it barely made a ripple, so why would they think Pikmin would work?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I think the idea is that the Niantic games are easy to play together so they're hoping for more overlap with the Pokemon crowd than they got out of Harry Potter. Gameplay wise I can see that making sense, although I have no idea how the Pikmin mobile version works.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Pikmin Bloom is mostly an idle walking game where you collect cool Pikmin and plant flowers. It's nice to glance at every now and then while walking, honestly i like it way more than the others cause its pleasant and there is not really any other game aspect as far as i can tell

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

NPR Journalizard posted:

Sure, but it barely made a ripple, so why would they think Pikmin would work?

oh gotcha i misunderstood the original post soz

Cerepol posted:

Pikmin Bloom is mostly an idle walking game where you collect cool Pikmin and plant flowers. It's nice to glance at every now and then while walking, honestly i like it way more than the others cause its pleasant and there is not really any other game aspect as far as i can tell

yea part of the reason i stuck with pikmin is cos unlike pogo etc you dont have to have your nose buried in your phone all walk, it just tracks and plants flowers and your dudes run off to do stuff and you can look at it when youre curious to see where other people have been planting flowers

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I don't think this has been mentioned here, but I've been playing IQ Dungeon lately:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Hirameku.IQDungeon

It's a cute little puzzle game where you're presented with a screen and an objective to complete (such as 'defeat the goblin' or 'open the locked door') and you need to figure out how to do it, all framed as a quest to defeat a big bad guy. Ads pop up every now and then between levels, but are short, and getting more gems (used for hints and bypassing levels) also will give you an ad.

Anyway, I just finished the first 'season' of the game and quite liked poking around in it for a little bit.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Morpheus posted:

I don't think this has been mentioned here, but I've been playing IQ Dungeon lately:

It's a cute little puzzle game where you're presented with a screen and an objective to complete (such as 'defeat the goblin' or 'open the locked door') and you need to figure out how to do it, all framed as a quest to defeat a big bad guy. Ads pop up every now and then between levels, but are short, and getting more gems (used for hints and bypassing levels) also will give you an ad.

Anyway, I just finished the first 'season' of the game and quite liked poking around in it for a little bit.

Looks like a slightly less silly version of Hidden my game by mom
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.jp.ne.hap.mom&hl=en&gl=US

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Morpheus posted:

Trying this out, sounds interesting, thanks!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Hah yeah I guess it sort of is

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What are some top notch single player games that don't require an internet connection? Next weekend I'll be chillin w/ the family at an area with limited internet service.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zotix posted:

What are some top notch single player games that don't require an internet connection? Next weekend I'll be chillin w/ the family at an area with limited internet service.

Mini Metro
Dungeon Warfare 1 and 2
Symphony of the Night
Slice and Dice

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Mini Metro
Dungeon Warfare 1 and 2
Symphony of the Night
Slice and Dice

King of Dragon Pass
Shattered Pixel Dungeon
Retro Goal
Polytopia

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zotix posted:

Buriedbornes is a neat old-school dungeon crawler type game if you'd be into something like that.
It has some online features though (like running into other player's corpses in the dungeon), and I think you have to go into a menu somewhere and hit the 'pre-download everything' button before it'll work offline.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Slay the Spire is pretty good, too, as is Solitairica

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Slay the Spire is pretty good, too, as is Solitairica

Oh my god I forgot Solitarica

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Also 80 Days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I'm a fan of card quest at the moment.