Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I think they're talking about Brass Against (a cover band that got to open for Tool not too long ago).

Lots of stage pissing going on nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Thank God otherwise GG Allin died for nothing

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

I wouldn't strike right away, no. But, after noticing that she has Tom Waits on her phone case, I'd furiously google Tom Waits trivia and then, after memorizing a handful of obscure facts, I'd track her down and aggressively grill her on the singer despite the only album I'm able to name off the top of my head being "Rain Dogs".

In the likely case that she didn't know about Waits' lawsuit against a 1988 advertisement for Salsa Rio Doritos, I'd say something like, "oh so you're not like a diehard 'TW' fan" and then laugh about how people "put the craziest stuff on their cellular phone cases."

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The PUA quizzes are so cringe. Just smile, say hi, and see how they respond. That's it.

Also it's so weird that there are all these imaginary proposed scenarios where they think it's ok to try to pick up women. You don't just do that anywhere anytime.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also increasingly concerning in my dotage that "she is way too young for me to be even thinking about that" is never a concern.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I wouldn't strike right away, no. But, after noticing that she has Tom Waits on her phone case, I'd furiously google Tom Waits trivia and then, after memorizing a handful of obscure facts, I'd track her down and aggressively grill her on the singer despite the only album I'm able to name off the top of my head being "Rain Dogs".

In the likely case that she didn't know about Waits' lawsuit against a 1988 advertisement for Salsa Rio Doritos, I'd say something like, "oh so you're not like a diehard 'TW' fan" and then laugh about how people "put the craziest stuff on their cellular phone cases."

You seem overqualified for this position.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

The focus on "female" restroom made me think this was going to be some transphobic thing. I'm.....pleased to see that it's not, at least.

https://twitter.com/biggestjoel/status/1460516256696647685

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Probably smart of her to immediately start filming the interaction.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Knormal posted:

Lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Read After Burning posted:

The focus on "female" restroom made me think this was going to be some transphobic thing. I'm.....pleased to see that it's not, at least.

*scott aukermanly* whats up hot dog?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

As soon as I come down from the acid im kicking my friend's rear end, because goddammit Susie slipping me a tab of acid in my Mt. Dew wasn't funny the first time and it still isn't funny the fifth time in a week! :argh:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Knormal posted:

:thurman:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Knormal posted:

"I do not agree to this joinder"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hey girl you see a plunger in there because I backed the men's room toilet the gently caress UP.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

How is that even a question? That hot dog wants to dance!

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

The PUA quizzes are so cringe. Just smile, say hi, and see how they respond. That's it.

Also it's so weird that there are all these imaginary proposed scenarios where they think it's ok to try to pick up women. You don't just do that anywhere anytime.

I mean at least it's a house party, where you'd presumably go to meet people and/or hook up, it's not hassling women at the grocery store or on the bus.

GreenMetalSun has a new favorite as of 22:51 on Nov 16, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Personally, I’m always negging my bus driver

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

christmas boots posted:

*scott aukermanly* whats up hot dog?

Think you'll find that catchphrase belongs to the one and only Weird Weirdo Weird Al Yankovic.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/Nick_Pettigrew/status/1460161026532511745

There’s only one famous long N name

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Just lmao if you don't open any interaction with a fe-male with "You know they say that all men are created equal? Well you look at me and you look at Samoa Joe and you can see that statement is not true!" etc

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

this is somehow even funnier than bone apple teeth

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

My brain read this as "Pakistan: Here we cum on false passports." :wiggle:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hedrigall posted:

Being bi rocks

Imagine looking at a sexy person and thinking “no thank you”, wtf would that even be like

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1460811491406458882

Bliss.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

The downvote really makes it.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Following up on this:
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1460066425746436097

oops

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i cant believe mankind did it, against all laws of physics we invented the bottomless barrel

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Danaru posted:

my husband threatened to divorce me because I called Taylor swift "that lady from Cats"

lmao

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Matty is a dumb motherfucker but this is a broken clock moment. I'm involved in a handful of lefty orgs and I've seen this issue way too often. Like someone will put out a solidarity fundraiser or something and the first three paragraphs are full of ten dollar words that my eyes just slide off of. I've read Gravity's Rainbow! I've read Gaddis' The Recognitions! I'm a literature dipshit that's suffered through countless books denser than the average neutron star! If even I'm having trouble focusing long enough to understand what they're getting at, there's no chance the average person who barely reads past newspaper headlines is going to stick it out. A movement is useless if it can't communicate well enough to be understood by the people that need to be convinced

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Kit Walker posted:

Matty is a dumb motherfucker but this is a broken clock moment. I'm involved in a handful of lefty orgs and I've seen this issue way too often. Like someone will put out a solidarity fundraiser or something and the first three paragraphs are full of ten dollar words that my eyes just slide off of. I've read Gravity's Rainbow! I've read Gaddis' The Recognitions! I'm a literature dipshit that's suffered through countless books denser than the average neutron star! If even I'm having trouble focusing long enough to understand what they're getting at, there's no chance the average person who barely reads past newspaper headlines is going to stick it out. A movement is useless if it can't communicate well enough to be understood by the people that need to be convinced

My pet peeve is when the text on placards is unreadable on the photo! Small slogan, make it very large!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I do quite often wonder about the critical mass of people it takes for a revolution to kick off and think about those protest signs from 1917 with 17-letter words in Russian cursive and I wonder, just how many collective IQ points did we as a species lose to leaded gas

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Also, water.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kit Walker posted:

A movement is useless if it can't communicate well enough to be understood by the people that need to be convinced
I do agree that the long, overly precise language of stuff like this is really offputting. But plenty of short, punchy, accessible slogans that drop nuance for impact get devoured by the conservative propaganda machine all the same anyway. A lot of the people that need to be convinced the most are those actively resisting it, so entrenched in their dogma that no combination of words will be the ones to bypass their defenses and convince them.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Vib Rib posted:

I do agree that the long, overly precise language of stuff like this is really offputting. But plenty of short, punchy, accessible slogans that drop nuance for impact get devoured by the conservative propaganda machine all the same anyway. A lot of the people that need to be convinced the most are those actively resisting it, so entrenched in their dogma that no combination of words will be the ones to bypass their defenses and convince them.

The right wing media circuit will always attack. If the message is too precise and long, the media will attack it for being elitist and out of touch. If the message is short and punchy, the media will attack it by deliberately misinterpreting it. There's no point in trying to counter their strategy. It's better to just use simpler messages that are accessible and can be discussed easily than overly complicated ones that laypeople won't even bother trying to understand. It's all a numbers game. Most of them can't be convinced but I'd rather use a strategy with a 5% chance than a 0% chance

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Different language works for different situations. The tweet isn't a call to action on a poster at a protest, it's tweet trying to put a complex idea into a short paragraph. It doesn't even seem that jargon-y aside from 'paradigm' and 'neoliberal', which are pretty well used terms on Twitter discourse. Could it be simplified? Sure, but they may have lost some nuance.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Different language works for different situations. The tweet isn't a call to action on a poster at a protest, it's tweet trying to put a complex idea into a short paragraph. It doesn't even seem that jargon-y aside from 'paradigm' and 'neoliberal', which are pretty well used terms on Twitter discourse. Could it be simplified? Sure, but they may have lost some nuance.

According to Yglesias they should have tweeted "Equality now!" and called it a day. He just really cares about effective messaging.

Oh wait he's just concern trolling and his real objection is to progressives calling America a racist country and disparaging capitalism

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/nextdoorsv/status/1460699196651155464

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Wait, whats going on with this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012