Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think I'm enjoying VOW limited a little more than MID even when I lose, it seems like there's a little more variety in viable archetypes besides gently caress You Blue/Black

Yeah, deifnitely. I'm having a lot of fun and winning with UG flyers/monsters. a lot of the other archetypes except for a few (WR, UR, GB?) are good and blood tokens are reall fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

HootTheOwl posted:

It's already finished.
Tainted Field, Isle, Peak, Wood.
And Everglades. :getin:

Now we need the Bleached, Burning, Moist, and Mossy lands to go along with them.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
New Capenna's supposed to be the next tricolor heavy set right? Hopefully we get the shard triomes there.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Thranguy posted:

Now we need the Bleached, Burning, Moist, and Mossy lands to go along with them.

Moist wood?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think I'm enjoying VOW limited a little more than MID even when I lose, it seems like there's a little more variety in viable archetypes besides gently caress You Blue/Black

VOW feels a lot more fun as a limited format but that might just be honeymoon phase.

Constructed wise hard to say, although I hope that a viable Vampire deck shakes out of all the good stuff in VOW.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

UB wasn't even the best color pair in MID limited, it's UG

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
IMO rock should be a generic token like blood, treasure, etc.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
T, sacrifice a Rock: Destroy target Giant.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Dysgenesis posted:

Moist wood?

Give us Burning Taint imo

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

dragon enthusiast posted:

T, sacrifice a Rock: Destroy target Giant.

T, sacrifice a Rock: Destroy target scissors

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
T, sacrifice a Scissors: destroy target card owned by your opponent.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They already did Rock Lobster, Paper Tiger, and Scissors Lizard.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I want Dice tokens

2, sac: roll a d6: 1: lose 3 life, 2-5: draw a card, 6: draw two cards

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

T, sacrifice a nontoken permanent: Destroy target artifact with a mana ability.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

T: Win the game

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Enchantment

Whenever a creature dies, create a Treasure token. Then if there is exactly one creature on the battlefield, that creature's controller wins the game.

0: Sacrifice ~. Any player may activate this ability and only if they control a number of creatures equal to or greater than half the total number of creatures on the battlefield.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Thanks to those of you that have shared resources on how to get the most out of your gold/gems on Arena. But I guess I am still a little confused on what specific Limited / Draft Formats I should be playing since there are several formats. Some you can buy in with gold and gems, others only gems, and their prizes vary a bit as well.

The formats that you can buy entry with gold or gems include:
  • Traditional Draft Crimson Vow (10,000g / 1500 gems)
  • Premier Draft Crimson Vow (10,000g /1500 gems)
  • Quick Draft Zendikar Rising (5,000g / 750 gems)

The other formats you can only buy entry with gems:
  • Traditional Sealed Crimson Vow (2000 gems)
  • Sealed Crimson Vow (2000 gems)

The only one I have done so far is the Sealed Crimson Vow where I ended up getting 5 wins with a mediocre Green / White deck. Obviously this isn't enough of a sample size to judge my skill at this format but let's just assume I have an average win rate. Given that information, what drafts should I be entering? Should I be spending gold on certain formats and gems on others? Thanks for all of the help, I have one decent constructed Standard Deck at the moment and it feels like getting enough cards/wildcards for my second is taking me much longer than my first.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also, if you aren't good at limited you can always just hoard your gold and buy 80+ packs when a new set comes out. You can easily build a deck between the cards you open and the amount of wildcards this creates.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've got like a hundred thousand gold and lots of unused wildcards and fifty or so unopened packs sitting around and I've been playing Arena (not daily, but often) for about a year without spending a dime.

IMO this is part of why the calculation of "how much does a rare cost" that just assumes you're always using gems is misleading. You do not ever have to actually spend gems, in order to play on Arena (but you'll get a few for free and you might as well).

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

IMO rock should be a generic token like blood, treasure, etc.

Great news!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Great news!

I think by "generic" they mean other cards can produce it besides toggo

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

MrSargent posted:

Thanks to those of you that have shared resources on how to get the most out of your gold/gems on Arena. But I guess I am still a little confused on what specific Limited / Draft Formats I should be playing since there are several formats. Some you can buy in with gold and gems, others only gems, and their prizes vary a bit as well.

The formats that you can buy entry with gold or gems include:
  • Traditional Draft Crimson Vow (10,000g / 1500 gems)
  • Premier Draft Crimson Vow (10,000g /1500 gems)
  • Quick Draft Zendikar Rising (5,000g / 750 gems)

The other formats you can only buy entry with gems:
  • Traditional Sealed Crimson Vow (2000 gems)
  • Sealed Crimson Vow (2000 gems)

The only one I have done so far is the Sealed Crimson Vow where I ended up getting 5 wins with a mediocre Green / White deck. Obviously this isn't enough of a sample size to judge my skill at this format but let's just assume I have an average win rate. Given that information, what drafts should I be entering? Should I be spending gold on certain formats and gems on others? Thanks for all of the help, I have one decent constructed Standard Deck at the moment and it feels like getting enough cards/wildcards for my second is taking me much longer than my first.

What is an average win rate? 50%? If so, I think that premier drafting is your best bet for returns.

There is a win rate to prizing calculator that exists somewhere (Ryan Spain might have a copy) and you can crunch the numbers to see what is best. I would caution you away from quick drafting, as they payouts are quite flat, and drafting against bots, only makes you better at drafting with bots.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Great news!

I can never get over how incredible the flavor of this card is.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Drewjitsu posted:

What is an average win rate? 50%? If so, I think that premier drafting is your best bet for returns.

There is a win rate to prizing calculator that exists somewhere (Ryan Spain might have a copy) and you can crunch the numbers to see what is best. I would caution you away from quick drafting, as they payouts are quite flat, and drafting against bots, only makes you better at drafting with bots.

I have this one saved but it's old, if someone wants to check the numbers and see if they still apply:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-opvcuESDeS-6sO5w286oGMjNjOEYVobnj5BVUldWZk/edit#gid=163395424

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Any goons going to be in Vegas?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Balon posted:

Any goons going to be in Vegas?

I'm sat in Heathrow now, going by way of Seattle though. Also didn't want to build a modern deck and go into the Friday event with barely any practice, so playing the sealed event and deciding if I want to buy 2 Solitude or sell the 2 I have.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm sat in Heathrow now, going by way of Seattle though. Also didn't want to build a modern deck and go into the Friday event with barely any practice, so playing the sealed event and deciding if I want to buy 2 Solitude or sell the 2 I have.

I’ll be there doing commander stuff all weekend. Come see me and get one of my logo patches.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Balon posted:

I’ll be there doing commander stuff all weekend. Come see me and get one of my logo patches.

I've brought a deck, but it's not been updated for years. Getting the foil Blood Artist signed hopefully though.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Really easy question that I think I know the answer to: For a card like Imposing Grandeur in the vampire commander precon (4{R} Sorcery, Each player may discard their hand and draw cards equal to the greatest mana value of a commander they own on the battlefield or in the command zone.")

[discard their hand] is a cost so a player has to have a hand of at least one card, which they would discard, in order to get the draw effect, is that right?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Abisteen posted:

Really easy question that I think I know the answer to: For a card like Imposing Grandeur in the vampire commander precon (4{R} Sorcery, Each player may discard their hand and draw cards equal to the greatest mana value of a commander they own on the battlefield or in the command zone.")

[discard their hand] is a cost so a player has to have a hand of at least one card, which they would discard, in order to get the draw effect, is that right?

Nope, it's not an additional cost, the way it's worded if a player has no cards in hand they can still choose to discard their hand and they'll get to draw cards.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Abisteen posted:

Discarding your hand is not a cost of the spell, it is the spell's effect. If you have no cards in hand you may just draw. Costs will have a colon "Discard your hand: draw cards equal to…" or the text "As an additional cost…".

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 17, 2021

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Thanks! Yep now that I think about it more I should have realized that since there wasn't a colon. These are the things that are the hardest to remember since I cut my teeth on arena and all of that sort of thing is handled for you.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Even if it is a cost, you can still choose to "discard your hand" when you have zero cards in it, for example to activate a Bomat Courier. Similar to how if someone casts a Syncopate on one of your spells with X=0, you can choose to pay 0 mana to avoid your spell being countered.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I was excited about Innistrad Double Feature, and sad that every indication so far is that it won't be on Arena, but 1. the greyscale art kinda looks like poo poo imo, and 2. it's the laziest implementation possible.

https://twitter.com/ghirapurigears/status/1460768816703574016

FWIW here's Maro on it not being curated at all:

I agree that I wish we’d done a better job when announcing it of making players understand what it is. Midnight Hunt and Crimson Vow were made purposely to have a lot of overlapping themes, so we liked giving players a chance to play them together, and the black and white treatment which made them feel like 50’s horror films felt like a cool way to do that visually.

I think the main reason all the cards were included was to let players have access to the treatment for all the cards. There’s a parallel universe where we didn’t print some of the cards where I’m getting complaints from players that their favorite card from one of the sets didn’t get the treatment.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 17, 2021

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

I'm really cised your pet deck went T1 wild. Such a great feeling and the only thing close is the joy of beating Johnny come lately's who picked up the deck because it's the current new hotness. You are such a fun person to have in here, couldn't have happened to a nicer wizard poker player

Sinteres posted:

I was excited about Innistrad Double Feature, and sad that every indication so far is that it won't be on Arena, but 1. the greyscale art kinda looks like poo poo imo, and 2. it's the laziest implementation possible.

https://twitter.com/ghirapurigears/status/1460768816703574016

I hope the price on these boxes go into the toilet so I can pick one up on the cheap for a fun werewolves/vampire draft some time later

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
I think double feature was the next set my homies were planning to draft so that'd be sweet if they end up cheap!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PleasantDirge posted:

I'm really cised your pet deck went T1 wild. Such a great feeling and the only thing close is the joy of beating Johnny come lately's who picked up the deck because it's the current new hotness. You are such a fun person to have in here, couldn't have happened to a nicer wizard poker player

Is this sarcastic or sincere. I honestly can't tell

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Is this sarcastic or sincere. I honestly can't tell

Grudge posters get creative. Its not your fault.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

PleasantDirge posted:

I hope the price on these boxes go into the toilet so I can pick one up on the cheap for a fun werewolves/vampire draft some time later

Make your own spooky Innistrad cube!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I come to you from the Arena thread to figure out what from VOW would best benefit this weird rear end deck that I just love playing.

Deck
8 Snow-Covered Island (KHM) 279
4 Frostboil Snarl (STX) 265
4 Expressive Iteration (STX) 186
3 Seize the Spoils (KHM) 149
4 Boots of Speed (AFR) 133
2 Prismari Command (STX) 214
2 Volatile Fjord (KHM) 273
3 Negate (ZNR) 71
9 Snow-Covered Mountain (KHM) 283
4 Frost Bite (KHM) 138
2 Thundering Rebuke (ZNR) 170
4 Pixie Guide (AFR) 66
4 Barbarian Class (AFR) 131
4 Delina, Wild Mage (AFR) 138
3 Behold the Multiverse (KHM) 46

Sideboard
2 Critical Hit (AFR) 137
2 Crush the Weak (KHM) 128

It's so goddamn silly and basically plays solitaire until the combo clicks together. but a new set means new possibilities. thoughts?