Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
I wasted so many levels putting skill points into Savoir Faire trying to win that one skill check to dance in the church and I only mananged to succeed after the tribunal, where I had a -1 modifier on account of being shot in the leg. Still had to try twice before I succeeded, turns out there's unique dialogue for both outcomes after the tribunal. Kim will tell you it was a bad idea to try dancing with your injuries if you fail, and will be very confused that you're dancing so hard on a broken leg if you succeed. I did also try dancing straight after the confrontation with Ruby, but Kim stops you and tells you it's not the time to dance if you try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

End of day 1:
I got Measurehead to take down the hanged man, talked to the hanged man, fridged him and found the bullet in his head. I also made peace with Cuno, found a new ball to the old guys petanque game and at the end of the day I found my other shoe.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

huh apparently they re-did most (all?) of one characters VO in the recent patch, and didn't mention it in the patch notes

:siren: ending spoilers :siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pDZUNmkD4I :siren:

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

repiv posted:

huh apparently they re-did most (all?) of one characters VO in the recent patch, and didn't mention it in the patch notes

:siren: ending spoilers :siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pDZUNmkD4I :siren:

Eh, I like the original performance, the new one sounds way too much like a guy trying to make his voice sound deeper. Is it just this one scene or did they redo all of the character's VO?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I can't believe this poo poo

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

repiv posted:

requires a heroic endurance check

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
But why

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
I already didn’t particularly like they got rid of the original voice acting in the final cut (the Chapo’s were pretty bad but I really liked their earnestness, and Virgil and Dasha actually fit their characters really well. Plus the original Cuno is a++), but this kind of George Lucasing really gets on my nerve. Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the already drat close to perfect

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

oscarthewilde posted:

I already didn’t particularly like they got rid of the original voice acting in the final cut (the Chapo’s were pretty bad but I really liked their earnestness, and Virgil and Dasha actually fit their characters really well.

Virgil not being there anymore is probably for the best

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Matt is the one I missed the most, you think hes doing it poorly until you learn more about the character and you realize it's perfect

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Epic High Five posted:

Matt is the one I missed the most, you think hes doing it poorly until you learn more about the character and you realize it's perfect

Matt Christman shouting "Protect the cop!" was real inspired

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

oscarthewilde posted:

I already didn’t particularly like they got rid of the original voice acting in the final cut (the Chapo’s were pretty bad but I really liked their earnestness, and Virgil and Dasha actually fit their characters really well. Plus the original Cuno is a++), but this kind of George Lucasing really gets on my nerve. Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the already drat close to perfect

Well it may be that Cuno's voice actor's mum did not approve of all that filthy language and disallowed him from playing with game developers ever again

And if that happened I bet the kid's response was... you know

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cuno's voice change was seemingly an intentional choice, because they did bring his original voice actor back, just not for Cuno. He voices Noid instead.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

F4rt5 posted:

Well it may be that Cuno's voice actor's mum did not approve of all that filthy language and disallowed him from playing with game developers ever again

And if that happened I bet the kid's response was... you know

The original Cuno actor is a posh man in his late 20s.

https://youtu.be/WPjrE6xkdLY

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

repiv posted:

Cuno's voice change was seemingly an intentional choice, because they did bring his original voice actor back, just not for Cuno. He voices Noid instead.

That makes sense, the original VA really came across as a meth-snorting devil child and, like, yeah, that's true. But Cuno is a surprisingly well written and deep character and voicing him as a psycho is both very amusing and unfair to the character. He becomes hard to empathize with.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The original Cuno actor is a posh man in his late 20s.

https://youtu.be/WPjrE6xkdLY

I feel like this has no effect on how likely it is that his mom objected

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Cuno's original voice was sent back into the howling void from whence it came.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

repiv posted:

speaking of that group, it was quite amusing to learn that Andre and Egg Head are the same VA, and they also play Evrart and like 3 others.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Harry, Harry, Harry. Why, of course, Yekokata is the place to be.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

repiv posted:

He used to sound like a parisian speaking correctly in english, now he sounds like a parisian trying to do an australian batman? What the heck

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

its weird, because i feel like they changed the voice to be more similar to the original release voice for them.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Ah wow, just finished this!

What does the little crown sign over an attribute mean?
For me it was over Inland empire, but I didn't really get what it meant.

Also I skimmed the thread and someone mentioned a similar game called 'P2'? Wondered what the full name was?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

mudskipp posted:

Ah wow, just finished this!

What does the little crown sign over an attribute mean?
For me it was over Inland empire, but I didn't really get what it meant.

Also I skimmed the thread and someone mentioned a similar game called 'P2'? Wondered what the full name was?

It's your tagged skill, which gets +1 and extra maximum level. Certain person will also comment on your tagged skill.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

mudskipp posted:

it's probably Pathologic 2. and yeah there's a lot of thematic overlap and it kinda deals with some similar stuff. but from a very different, uh, point of view, i guess. fair warning though, the gameplay is quite different and much more stressful, in a way i haven't really seen in any other game

it's one my favourite games Of All Time (right next to Disco Elysium, actually), and i recommend it wholeheartedly

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
That's great cheers.
Yea part of the appeal of DE was the sedate feel to it, like a great illustrated book I could explore and interact with. Gonna miss opening it up in the evenings!

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Does having a gun make a big difference btw?
Made it to the end without finding mine as I didn't like Evrart.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

mudskipp posted:

Does having a gun make a big difference btw?
Made it to the end without finding mine as I didn't like Evrart.

It’s replaceable, spoilers below.

It can help in the mercenary gunfight and save Titus Hardy. If you don’t get your gun then the Horrible Necktie is a potential substitute if you combine it with the potent alcohol from the hobos.

Some of the Hardy Boys always die even if you do have a gun/necktie and pass all the checks.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

mudskipp posted:

That's great cheers.
Yea part of the appeal of DE was the sedate feel to it, like a great illustrated book I could explore and interact with. Gonna miss opening it up in the evenings!

Pathologic 2 is an incredibly stressful game and not exactly fun, but very compelling and good. It hits a lot of the same notes as Disco Elysium for me but I'm not entirely sure why.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

a7m2 posted:

Pathologic 2 is an incredibly stressful game and not exactly fun, but very compelling and good. It hits a lot of the same notes as Disco Elysium for me but I'm not entirely sure why.

they're like a double feature honestly. there's probably a 3-hour youtube essay in there somewhere explaining why and exploring all the surprising (and entirely serendipitous) parallels

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

To me it's that P2 has some of the absolute best writing this side of DE. It's a completely different style but when I think of games with all time utterly enthralling weird conversations it's DE and then P2 (and then P1 probably). They also have a lot of crossover in terms of themes. Weird city mystery games for life

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I just realized the weird theatre aspect of Pathologic 2 is pretty similar to DE's inner monologue. I love both.

Somewhat unrelated, both The Town and Revachol feel like real places, but Pathologic 2 (and likely 1, I haven't played it), does something that no other game I've played does, which is depicting a unique culture that truly feels alien and like you don't belong. It's really something special.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

space uncle posted:

It’s replaceable, spoilers below.

It can help in the mercenary gunfight and save Titus Hardy. If you don’t get your gun then the Horrible Necktie is a potential substitute if you combine it with the potent alcohol from the hobos.

Some of the Hardy Boys always die even if you do have a gun/necktie and pass all the checks.

To elaborate on this, you can only use the horrific necktie in this way if you have Inland Empire 4+ and are wearing it often enough to keep talking to it.

You can also get another gun if you let Ruby kill herself and you can take and use hers.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The conversation earlier got me thinking about the weird city mystery canon. Here's my attempt.

- Core canon: DE, Pathologics, Deadly Premonition
- Indie strain: Paradise Killer
- WRPG strain: Planescape Torment, Fallout New Vegas
- Japan strain: Shenmue, certain Yakuza games
- Maybe they can't all be winners strain: Cyberpunk 2077, Bioshocks

I've heard promising things about the forgotten city, chulip, and a bunch of other old japanese cult games. Unfortunately I cannot put them on the list until I've personally assessed for weird city mystery-ness

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Wish za/um would drop a new joint on us

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They are hiring writers, it's definitely happening

eventually

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

No Mods No Masters posted:

The conversation earlier got me thinking about the weird city mystery canon. Here's my attempt.

I've heard promising things about the forgotten city, chulip, and a bunch of other old japanese cult games. Unfortunately I cannot put them on the list until I've personally assessed for weird city mystery-ness

Not a game, but since we're talking weird city mysteries and there's been some new posters in the thread lately, I'll recommend the book The City and the City by China Mieville. It has a pretty good BBC miniseries adaptation too.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The writer hire will simply create the copy for ZA/UM's continued transformation into an admittedly pretty awesome moderate-end fashion brand

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Chulip is good for surrealism and having absolutely bonkers NPCs to smooch. WayneRadio TV (The Half Life VR But the AI is Self Aware guy) did a pretty good LP of it I watched. Lot of smooching action going on.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

UnknownMercenary posted:

To elaborate on this, you can only use the horrific necktie in this way if you have Inland Empire 4+ and are wearing it often enough to keep talking to it.

You can also get another gun if you let Ruby kill herself and you can take and use hers.

Aha, dark logic.

And yea, I completed that 'arc', brrrratan!

Ive gotta admit aswell I failed a 97% check near the end it was the one time I reloaded to retry. Although it felt alittle like cheating I really enjoyed the conversation with that delightful overgrown stick insect. It was the happiest part of the ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

The writer hire will simply create the copy for ZA/UM's continued transformation into an admittedly pretty awesome moderate-end fashion brand

I wish they made kim jackets for fat asses like me