Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Apple apparently feels like they are losing the fight against the FTC's new right to repair rules and is trying to head it off at the pass by making concessions that allow users to repair their own devices, but only with tools and parts sold exclusively through Apple.

They are leaving in all of the programming that breaks your device if you use non-Apple parts to prevent people from "gaming" the system by using Apple tools and generic parts.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1460982830318727176

It's not even non-Apple parts. Someone tested swapping parts between two identical iPhones and found that the protection triggers regardless, suggesting that no one can provide repairs without some sort of proprietary Apple procedure that unfucks the phones after parts have been swapped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This is great. Like I said, I think there is some common ground between leftists and Trumpers. The stumbling block for both sides is the system itself, which enriches the wealthy ruling class at our expense.

Trumpers don't seem to mind that.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Lib and let die posted:

I'm gonna get real weird with this, and suggest that a possible avenue to...diffuse, deflect, or simply terminate this kind of nonsense is to just...normalize ridicule. Start going to town halls and committee meetings and...heckle the [REDACTED]s like it's a comedy club. Be mean. Be personal. Be ruthless. Be - brace yourselves - uncouth. It's baffling to me that at no point during that 2 minute rambling nonsense, did anyone shout "lady, are you loving [REDACTED]ed?" when I wanted to shout that as soon as she asked "why are we hiring counsellors at $90k a pop-", like, lady, are you loving stupid?

Get some friends together, and go to a meeting. Show up individually, and then just...don't respect that the chair has respected a [REDACTED]'s time to speak. One of you gets kicked out, and a few minutes later another one picks up because that's why you didn't arrive as a visibly-identifiable group. Make it so that it's so uncomfortable to express nonsensical, fabricated beliefs about poo poo like CRT that they "learned" at Facebook University in a forum for serious public policymaking.

If you want to go shout slurs at people in a public forum, well, nobody is stopping you. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

I'm gonna get real weird with this, and suggest that a possible avenue to...diffuse, deflect, or simply terminate this kind of nonsense is to just...normalize ridicule. Start going to town halls and committee meetings and...heckle the [REDACTED]s like it's a comedy club. Be mean. Be personal. Be ruthless. Be - brace yourselves - uncouth. It's baffling to me that at no point during that 2 minute rambling nonsense, did anyone shout "lady, are you loving [REDACTED]ed?" when I wanted to shout that as soon as she asked "why are we hiring counsellors at $90k a pop-", like, lady, are you loving stupid?

Get some friends together, and go to a meeting. Show up individually, and then just...don't respect that the chair has respected a [REDACTED]'s time to speak. One of you gets kicked out, and a few minutes later another one picks up because that's why you didn't arrive as a visibly-identifiable group. Make it so that it's so uncomfortable to express nonsensical, fabricated beliefs about poo poo like CRT that they "learned" at Facebook University in a forum for serious public policymaking.

That's not even weird. That's pretty much textbook being intolerant of intolerance.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

VitalSigns posted:

Of course I said no such thing. For someone who constantly complains about being misunderstood you sure like making poo poo up and putting it in other people's mouths and arguing with stuff you wish they said huh.

Maybe you should have made yourself clearer.

quote:

Sure this isn't wrong, but fixing America's centuries of racism and white supremacist false consciousness is going to take a lot more work than a political campaign is capable of doing in six months so if you're hoping McAuliffe would accomplish that you never had a chance.

What you can do, at least in the short term, is give people an alternative to white supremacy that will directly benefit them materially right now. It won't convince the diehard racists but if every Virginian were a diehard racist you wouldn't have had a democratic trifecta to defend in the first place. But McAuliffe was never going to do that, he was anointed precisely to stop any movement within the party to campaign on helping people too much because the donors wouldn't like that and because the Clinton wing are ideologically committed to the belief that government should only help people by fiddling with market incentives to get them to help themselves (but they've forgotten what they knew in Bill Clinton's time: if you aren't gonna help people you at least have to lie about it to win)

So given that he wasn't going to run that kind of campaign ever, then yeah within the choices he allowed himself it probably would have been smarter to say "we aren't gonna teach CRT" which is even actually true, and at least won't piss off the people who don't get the dog whistle and don't know they're supposed to be mad little Mason learned who Rosa Parks was. At least it's better than telling all the parents they're too stupid to know what should be taught which is guaranteed to piss everyone off (even though it's obviously also true)

That's an absolutely stupid idea. The people complaining about CRT know what they mean by it, they don't care about the actual definition. If you do this without also making it clear you're going to make education more white supremacist(ie what they actually want), you'll have gained nothing on one side and undercut everyone fighting white supremacy on your side.

This is a stunningly bad idea and breathtaking from someone who is constantly demanding that Dems fight.

T-Mac should have blown off any CRT and pivoted to positive policy. Since he didn't have any positive policy to hang his hat on, he was hosed. No amount of pandering to racists was going to change that.

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Democrats are so out of touch, rich, and separated from America at large they don't realize calling people Nazi's is a losing strategy. Maybe at Trump's second inaugaration they'll figure it out. :buddy:

Yeah dude definitely Dems are out there calling people Nazis and in general just being way too harsh on racists. :rolleyes:

That's definitely a thing that is happening.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 17, 2021

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

New yougov polling is out, and pretty much mirrors last week's yougov poll.

Notable:

* Once again, the wealthiest voters are the happiest with the economy, and the poorest are the least satisfied. Someone still needs to tell the poors that they've gotten 11 percent increases in their sub-living-wage incomes & should be happy bc Irwin's & Krugman's words aren't getting through to them.

* Only 39 percent of 2020 Biden voters say that the economy is "good" or "excellent," which is dwarfed by the combined 56 percent who rate it as "fair" or "poor." Again, these were people who voted for Biden.

* 52 percent of voters ages 65+ have received a covid booster shot.

* Biden's highest approval rating is on the issue of how he's handled the pandemic, continuing a trend that has stayed steady while his approval rating on the economy has tanked.

* 59 percent of voters say they have "a good idea" of what critical race theory is.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

T-Mac should have blown off any CRT and pivoted to positive policy. Since he didn't have any positive policy to hang his hat on, he was hosed. No amount of pandering to racists was going to change that.

Yeah this is true, at the same time I think telling parents they shouldn't have any input at all* may have pissed off even people who weren't demanding white supremacy in schools, and he only barely lost. He was incapable of having a good campaign because he had no positive policy, no doubt about that, but he didn't have to give the worst possible response either

*Yeah they shouldn't but you shouldn't say it to their faces

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 17, 2021

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

The problem is that The Man is responsible for funding both parties' politicians, so they have no impetus to get rid of The Man.

Yeah. The HR types run the party, they would immediately try to shut down anyone who wanted to run this kind of messaging.

That’s what happens when you let the kind of people who relish meetings that could’ve been emails and excel sheets and working until 10pm from your couch every night take over the party. The same people cannot distinguish normal humans from Mayor Pete or Hilary or Kamala, which is why we end up with acharismatic box checkers on our tickets, or docile, senile servants looking for a sinecure.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

* 59 percent of voters say they have "a good idea" of what critical race theory is.

Somewhere north of 50% of biden voters apparently lie (either to themselves or to yougov)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah this is true, at the same time I think telling parents they shouldn't have any input at all* may have pissed off even people who weren't demanding white supremacy in schools, and he only barely lost. He was incapable of having a good campaign because he had no positive policy, no doubt about that, but he didn't have to give the worst possible response either

*Yeah they shouldn't but you shouldn't say it to their faces

Thats why he should never have seriously even talked about it. You can't say "these people are racists who don't want their kids to be educated about bad white people" in politics because :decorum: and anything even close to admitting what's really going on will just be twisted and used against you.

You avoid it and pivot. Don't respond to trolls, culture war edition.

Much like relitigaging 2016, in a close race there was any number of things he could have done that would have won. Not addressing CRT sure. Also making promises on any sort of popular policy probably would have had him cruise to a victory.

He and the dems were not capable of that.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Solkanar512 posted:

So do these folks actually give a poo poo about college prep, or is that the "whatabouthomelessvets" for schools? I ask, because these seem to be the same shitheads that scream about evolution and new math and poo poo like that.

It's whataboutism, for sure. You start talking about college prep and it suddenly becomes "I'm not sending my kid to a liberal brainwashing camp".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jacobus Spades posted:

It's not even non-Apple parts. Someone tested swapping parts between two identical iPhones and found that the protection triggers regardless, suggesting that no one can provide repairs without some sort of proprietary Apple procedure that unfucks the phones after parts have been swapped out.

I haven't watched the video but if he swapped anything related to authentication and the chain of trust (which would include things like cameras and fingerprint sensors) those are linked to individual devices by unique IDs so they're not interchangeable. Presumably releasing that procedure is part of this new initiative.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Lib and let die posted:

The law binds but does not protect you, you will be arrested if you do this, and do more time than anyone who invaded the Capitol.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

DarkCrawler posted:

Trumpers don't seem to mind that.

They may not realize the extent of it, which I think is why they get drawn into targeting minorities and immigrants.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wang Commander posted:

The law binds but does not protect you, you will be arrested if you do this, and do more time than anyone who invaded the Capitol.
While there's a good chance of arrest if you do it in the wrong community I don't think anybody is getting four years in prison for it, which is the as of today the max sentence for Capitol invasion.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Lib and let die posted:

Really showing your haven't been town hall/board meeting/council meeting in a while here.

People already do this, and more, and it does nothing. You also don't get on TV because nobody care's about running the angry people who want kids to be treated well and have housing/healthcare.

Every once in a while an especially spicy session makes it, like LASD oversight meetings during the uprisings last year, but there are regularly beligerent leftists making noice at meetings like this.

Racist Becky is the one who gets on TV.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

They may not realize the extent of it, which I think is why they get drawn into targeting minorities and immigrants.

They target minorities and immigrants because they're racist

They might gripe about the current system but they still want to keep it, because changing the system might benefit minorities

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I think I'm starting to see why the Judge may have cut the Shaman a bit of a break.

https://twitter.com/dsamuelsohn/status/1461040290035343361
https://twitter.com/dsamuelsohn/status/1461040415881236487

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Trazz posted:

They target minorities and immigrants because they're racist

They might gripe about the current system but they still want to keep it, because changing the system might benefit minorities

I don't disagree with you, but the latter part seems like a good reason to provide a living wage, guaranteed housing, etc to everyone. It's much harder to complain that those people are benefiting when everyone has what they need. Capitalism causes racism, which in turn helps to bolster capitalism by keeping the working class divided against itself.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 17, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That's basically how the beer hall putsch trials went. "I know you made a boo-boo but thank you for your service and your dedication to saving Germany from the commies, and I believe you regret your little oopsie-doodle, I guess I have to sentence you to something or the lying media will have my head, so ugh how about a stint in a castle with a gourmet menu please ring the bell if anything is not to your liking, now please don't do a failure of a coup ever again *WINK*"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 17, 2021

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1461019156233523203

Finally seeing some jail time for the Insurrectionists. Less than I'd like, but better than the probations handed out so far.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

I don't disagree with you, but the latter part seems like a good reason to provide a living wage, guaranteed housing, etc to everyone. It's much harder to complain that those people are benefiting when everyone has what they need. Capitalism causes racism, which in turn helps to bolster capitalism by keeping the working class divided against itself.

Conservatives don't want "THEIR" tax dollars going to "THOSE" people and there is no further conversation beyond that(because, again, they're racist)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

'What a marvelous chap this Chansley is!'

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

That's basically how the beer hall putsch trials went. "I know you made a boo-boo but thank you for your service and your dedication to saving Germany from the commies, and I believe you regret your little oopsie-doodle, I guess I have to sentence you to something or the lying media will have my head, so ugh how about a stint in a castle with a gourmet menu please ring the bell if anything is not to your liking, now please don't do a failure of a coup ever again *WINK*"

Yeah this whole poo poo has made it clear that just like anything else in America, you get infinite chances to make make mistakes as a white man.

Your insurrection didn't quite work? Don't worry, you'll get another chance.

Oh you're black? Any number of minor mistakes, including trying to send your kid to a better school, will get you years in prison doing hard time. Shouldn't have made a minor mistake, fucker.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I feel like the bar to be Martin Luther King Jr. must be very low for that Judge if he thinks "thank you for your military service and the organic food" is "akin to the kinds of things that Martin Luther King would have said."

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Trazz posted:

Conservatives don't want "THEIR" tax dollars going to "THOSE" people and there is no further conversation beyond that(because, again, they're racist)

Well, it may indeed be the case that it's ideological but I still think the left should go for broke. No country can call itself "great" when there are people homeless and hungry on the street, and people are entitled to the basic necessities of life.

I'm not so naive to think that addressing the contradictions of capitalism will end all racism forever, nor do I think that "economic anxiety" explains all of chudism, but fixing racism/sexism/transphobia/etc weakens capitalism and helps to redirects all of that hate where it belongs: against the system.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I feel like the bar to be Martin Luther King Jr. must be very low for that Judge if he thinks "thank you for your military service and the organic food" is "akin to the kinds of things that Martin Luther King would have said."

To be fair, he probably said things akin to them at some point, he was speaking for almost 39 years and most of it wasn't famous televised orations

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Well, it may indeed be the case that it's ideological but I still think the left should go for broke. No country can call itself "great" when there are people homeless and hungry on the street, and people are entitled to the basic necessities of life.

I'm not so naive to think that addressing the contradictions of capitalism will end all racism forever, nor do I think that "economic anxiety" explains all of chudism, but fixing racism/sexism/transphobia/etc weakens capitalism and helps to redirects all of that hate where it belongs: against the system.

Yeah, they're racists and that's all they will be and can be is a dead end unless your plans are civil war. Maybe we are already at the point where neither side sees each other as reasonable or human but if that's the case than the rhetoric can only increase into fighting. Chuds vs. SJWs I guess.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Lastly, I'm going to leave you with this illustration of how this poo poo actually looks and sounds in practice. Not only in terms of how CRT and mental health programs have become linked in the eyes of the conservative opposition, but also in terms of how it's a real headscratcher to think about how the gently caress we're going to reach these people.
https://twitter.com/Mike_Hixenbaugh/status/1443743858114932739

More like Karen independent school district.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, they're racists and that's all they will be and can be is a dead end unless your plans are civil war. Maybe we are already at the point where neither side sees each other as reasonable or human but if that's the case than the rhetoric can only increase into fighting. Chuds vs. SJWs I guess.

They are racists, they have been racists for almost 60 years, and they're already asking when they get to start killing us.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Historically, these same people have fought against any of the good things that leftists should go for broke on, because of the chance that "the wrong people" would also get the benefits.

Going back to where you started on this, this isn't Trump suddenly instigating new racism that wasn't already there, this was Trump building on what has existed for a very long time.

The reason that leftists and chuds aren't going to find common ground is the racism, not the policy.

Certainly this isn't an impossible problem and racists aren't racist from birth or whatever, but you need to better understand the problem I think.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Trazz posted:

That's untrue, as I've pointed out before.

The most popular social programs are the universal ones; it's when you create student-loan forgiveness for Pell grant recipients who ran a business in a minority community for three years that raises people's hackles.

But by ventriloquizing what they think that conservatives believe, liberals get themselves off the hook for their own opposition to universal programs, as well as absolve themselves for any advocacy or even support of universal programs.

eta: An example is GOP support of price controls for prescription drugs, which is 75-80 percent. No one on the right is saying "everyone should pay less for drugs except for those people."

vvv Oh ho ho, let me take you back in the time machine to the 2020 dem primaries and the liberal FUD against M4A, both among candidates & the media.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 17, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Willa Rogers posted:

The most popular social programs are the universal ones; it's when you create student-loan forgiveness for Pell grant recipients who ran a business in a minority community for three years that raises people's hackles.

But by ventriloquizing what they think that conservatives believe, liberals get themselves off the hook for their own opposition to universal programs, as well as absolve themselves for any advocacy or even support of universal programs.

The problem is the most vocal opponents of even universal programs are the ones we are seeing in these videos. Nobody on the left is opposing universal programs, are they?

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

Gee, I must be in a different timeline, I'm in the one where I get called a communist for proposing universal healthcare.

Also, "ventriloquizing what we think conservatives believe?" This is just the old "you just need to understand them" scolding. We understand conservatives very well, thanks.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Plus, again, there's anywhere between 33-40% of the population that doesn't vote and isn't politically active in any meaningful way. They're mostly non-white and disproportionately working class. They're the ones that need class consciousness more than anyone in this country. If socialism or communism or really any left-wing project is going to succeed in this country, it will be because we managed to activate and radicalize them.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Jaxyon posted:

Historically, these same people have fought against any of the good things that leftists should go for broke on, because of the chance that "the wrong people" would also get the benefits.

Going back to where you started on this, this isn't Trump suddenly instigating new racism that wasn't already there, this was Trump building on what has existed for a very long time.

The reason that leftists and chuds aren't going to find common ground is the racism, not the policy.

Certainly this isn't an impossible problem and racists aren't racist from birth or whatever, but you need to better understand the problem I think.

I have no doubt that all the lovely policing and discrimination against immigrants has been there for a long, long time. We, or many of us at least, are just more aware of it now. But I also think that there's a positive correlation between rhetoric heating up and an already unresponsive and apathetic system crumbling before our eyes. The country was founded on racism; it's not going anywhere anytime soon. But desperate people turn to increasingly violent and racist rhetoric because they feel like there's nowhere else to turn.

People like Kessler and Spencer? Those who regularly post on thedirndl.lose? There's no convincing those chuds. White suburbanites who screech about CRT at school board meetings? I think there's a chance of reaching them; I dunno.

e: Yeah, I think it's less a problem of understanding chuds than reaching them. But I fear that people think I'm being hopelessly naive, so I could be completely wrong.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 17, 2021

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Literally had my conservative cousin tell me there shouldn't be college aid relief because he never got any support!*

*he got his college paid by the GI Bill.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Willa Rogers posted:

eta: An example is GOP support of price controls for prescription drugs, which is 75-80 percent. No one on the right is saying "everyone should pay less for drugs except for those people."

I love the world you live in where people say "oh yeah I'm a big racist" in public, and definitely in polling.

That would be so much easier.

I agree that that policy is very popular on a bipartisan basis and should be passed ASAP. Historically, however, "those people" getting stuff equally has been a big problem.

I have no doubt that all the lovely policing and discrimination against immigrants has been there for a long, long time. We, or many of us at least, are just more aware of it now. But I also think that there's a positive correlation between rhetoric heating up and an already unresponsive and apathetic system crumbling before our eyes. The country was founded on racism; it's not going anywhere anytime soon. But desperate people turn to increasingly violent and racist rhetoric because they feel like there's nowhere else to turn.

People like Kessler and Spencer? Those who regularly post on thedirndl.lose? There's no convincing those chuds. White suburbanites who screech about CRT at school board meetings? I think there's a chance of reaching them. I dunno.

Why? They're not any less racist than others, an often moreso. They've got more perceived privilege to lose.

How are you going to reach them? I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying it's not easy. People lie about their motivations and nobody ever thinks they are a racist.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 17, 2021

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

lmao, im so sick of them including Judaism in their dumb rear end rants about this poo poo.

as if Judaism, especially in america, isn't a wildly diverse set of people, the majority of whom are fairly strong progressive folk. and that there are rabbis and other scholars who are producing torah and talmud interpretations that emphasize the textual support of social justice, racial equality, and an expansive view of gender.

"Judeo-Christian" has become one of the worst buzzwords in existence, especially considering how much a lot of the right has disdain if not outright hatred for us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Old James posted:

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1461019156233523203

Finally seeing some jail time for the Insurrectionists. Less than I'd like, but better than the probations handed out so far.

They were going to put the Shaman in jail for potentially TWENTY years for the high crime of: Wandering around the U.S Capitol chambers. That is not okay.

Incarcerating people for non violent actions like that is indefensible. If you assault somebody, that's different. But he and many others did no such thing.

Frankly, this is just sour grapes from the Democrats because they are embarrassed by all of this. Biden having National Guard all around the Capitol for months was embarrassing, as if there were clamoring hordes ready to siege our most honorable capitol.

"Insurrection" being a highly dubious claim. Erdogan's attempted coup was an insurrection. What happened to Gaddafi was an insurrection. This was just an overblown riot at best.