Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dareon posted:

I would much rather tell my friend to successfully sink his free throw and bet on that happening, instead. He's in the NBA, he can make a free throw. He feels good about himself for making the free throw, I feel good for having faith in my friend's abilities, we both make money.

I understand the point you're making, but if we're going to fix a bet, let's make it a positive thing.

Whoa it's Pete Rose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

D-Pad posted:

I.. don't think you understand how this works?

Much like war, winning sports is easy: simply don't lose.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Dareon posted:

I would much rather tell my friend to successfully sink his free throw and bet on that happening, instead. He's in the NBA, he can make a free throw. He feels good about himself for making the free throw, I feel good for having faith in my friend's abilities, we both make money.

I understand the point you're making, but if we're going to fix a bet, let's make it a positive thing.

We know Jordan and Barkley would make prop bets with each other during the game for real cash. But no one really cares because their egos are too large for them to shave points or bet against their team.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

My conspiracy theory is that bears are just dogs we aren't allowed to pet.

Checks out.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Kitfox88 posted:

All Hitler needed to do to win was not lose, astounding analysis

Wasn't there something about how the Allied nations had various plans to assassinate Hitler, but decided against it as he was such an incompetent military strategist that leaving him in command was likely to end the war sooner than killing him and having someone capable take his place?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

christmas boots posted:

If the CIA was behind his assassination then why is he dead?

I thought about coming back and saying "look I said all that with tongue in cheek because obviously it's impossible to know the final truth", like I just have fun stating it matter-of-factly when obviously I don't know. But all the conspiracy posts after that are great so I'm glad I didn't make it about me. I really like both NBA ones. The frozen envelope, drat that's good. But if you still want my answer to this:

I reckon it's like a Charles Manson type situation. Some CIA-backed weirdos and loose cannons - in this case, right-wing Cuban self-exiles, some of whom have made deathbed confessions along these lines - did something without the CIA necessarily intending it to happen as it did. An unsuccessful attack on Kennedy, for example, might get him on side for a Cuba invasion?

I dunno, but the CIA loving up with some assets wilding out, and then having to kill drat near everybody who knew much and might leak (which did happen with a lot of connected figures over the following years) seems more plausible than the CIA pulling off the perfect crime, like Dulles putting a big "FIND HIM AND KILL HIM" stamp from the movie Top Secret on a dossier of JFK.

joke answer:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I absolutely believe Jordan bet on himself, I don't believe his ego would allow him to point shave.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Skwirl posted:

I absolutely believe Jordan bet on himself, I don't believe his ego would allow him to point shave.

Also better yet, why would he bother? Not like he needed money. That’s the #1 reason I don’t buy it. Even with staggering gambling losses, MJ had more money than god

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

zoux posted:

Sports conspiracies are good to believe in, because they seldom lead to nazi stuff.

With the post right above yours being about F1, I have my doubts on that. Like, a major F1 figure was the son of British fash party leader, for example.

TinTower posted:

The big sport conspiracy theory I believe is that Benetton were actually using traction control in the 1994 F1 season.

Also, the theory that Neymar is loving his sister.

You want to go further? Benetton's systems shenanigans caused accidents at the 1994 San Marino GP, which caused the restart, which made Senna have cold tyres... I don't believe it, but...

This is kind of the opposite of a conspiracy theory, but my unshakeable belief is that Jim Clark's accident was mechanical, not a mistake.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I thought about coming back and saying "look I said all that with tongue in cheek because obviously it's impossible to know the final truth", like I just have fun stating it matter-of-factly when obviously I don't know. But all the conspiracy posts after that are great so I'm glad I didn't make it about me. I really like both NBA ones. The frozen envelope, drat that's good. But if you still want my answer to this:

Mine was a kind of tongue-in-cheek statement too

Personally, I've always been partial to the idea that the CIA wasn't actually behind the assassination itself -- maybe someone hosed up and didn't put to together the extremely obvious clues that something was going to happen, maybe they were planning to try and turn Oswald or otherwise use him as an asset and underestimated his willingness to act or something -- and that the coverup afterward was mostly a way to cover their asses.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Frank Frank posted:

Also better yet, why would he bother? Not like he needed money. That’s the #1 reason I don’t buy it. Even with staggering gambling losses, MJ had more money than god

yea people tend to conflate 'MJ is a gambling addict', a true fact, and 'MJ was also a pretty bad gambler', another true fact, with 'so obviously he was broke' which is what happens when NORMAL people are those things. MJ and Barkley are two of the NBA's most famous 'oh you have an actual addiction to gambling and you're also kinda bad at it, that's no good!' cases of their time and they're both incredibly rich and successful regardless. The idea that either of them would actually take an L just to win money they didn't need is silly.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Push El Burrito posted:

My conspiracy theory is that bears are just dogs we aren't allowed to pet.

well, not with that attitude

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

christmas boots posted:

Mine was a kind of tongue-in-cheek statement too

Personally, I've always been partial to the idea that the CIA wasn't actually behind the assassination itself -- maybe someone hosed up and didn't put to together the extremely obvious clues that something was going to happen, maybe they were planning to try and turn Oswald or otherwise use him as an asset and underestimated his willingness to act or something -- and that the coverup afterward was mostly a way to cover their asses.

Yeah that's in the same ballpark i favor. They continue to do that kind of screwup to this very day (older tsarnaev brother...)

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

zoux posted:

Oh so just because I believe a secret cabal of pedophile cannibal lizard people secretly control the world I'm a conspiracy theorist

Idgi. Isn't she saying she's criticising Georgia for spreading conspiracy theories, not that she's advocating them? Am I missing some important context?

E: oh, yeah, I totally am - the actual article in question.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/florida-governors-press-secretary-christina-pushaw-walks-back-rothschild-dog-whistle-tweet-after-backlash

But your criticism of her is misplaced. It's not that she's a conspiracy theorist, it's that she assumes everyone responds to anti-Semitic dogwhistles, and that that's a normal way to think about the world

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Nov 18, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

sexpig by night posted:

yea people tend to conflate 'MJ is a gambling addict', a true fact, and 'MJ was also a pretty bad gambler', another true fact, with 'so obviously he was broke' which is what happens when NORMAL people are those things. MJ and Barkley are two of the NBA's most famous 'oh you have an actual addiction to gambling and you're also kinda bad at it, that's no good!' cases of their time and they're both incredibly rich and successful regardless. The idea that either of them would actually take an L just to win money they didn't need is silly.

Yeah the money's the thing. If he didn't have god-tier basketball prowess and the wealth that came with it, Michael Jordan would have ended sealed up in a barrel in a toxic waste dump for failing to pay his vig one too many times

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm pretty sure the CIA would rather have people believe that they were involved with the Kennedy assassination rather than complete fuckups that were supposed to be keeping an eye on the guy that defected to the Soviet Union but came back because he thought they weren't ideologically pure enough.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Oh great, another one of you kooks.

JFK absolutely existed you buffoon, it's Dallas that's made up. I mean, come on, elementary stuff.

Yeah, just like that "Moon" thing you weirdos prattle on about. :jerkbag:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/lackingsaint/status/1461099676904611843

The Twitter crop fucks with the first image so here it is

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/hailzfitz444/status/1460727797907918855

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

https://twitter.com/emotionalpedant/status/1460561834440810499

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

https://twitter.com/hailzfitz444/status/1461052737756483594?s=21

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

the new GTA3 is bug-for-bug compatible

https://twitter.com/DarkwingDust69/status/1459929293023236096

https://twitter.com/The_Rabbit42/status/1460662035621031952

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Memento posted:

https://twitter.com/lackingsaint/status/1461099676904611843

The Twitter crop fucks with the first image so here it is

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1460907153862971394

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What the gently caress

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Doom two too, too!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Halloween Jack posted:

The most difficult thing on that list is telling an Italian military leader to be not stupid

If anyone spoke their language, it was Hitler.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The week or so when the queen dies is going to be the worst week on twitter in decades

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

zoux posted:

The week or so when the queen dies is going to be the worst week on twitter in decades

Sounds like all that attention is making you royal jelly

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

zoux posted:

Yeah well at least the terfs will be too busy crying in their poppies to gently caress with us 🤷🏻‍♀️

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

zoux posted:

It's going to be a bloodbath. Life in britain will be even more loving unbearable than usual but there'll at least be entertainment value in watching the insane reverence some people have for the monarchy get dashed upon the rocks of the rest of the world not giving a gently caress.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Yeah well at least the terfs will be too busy crying in their poppies to gently caress with us 🤷🏻‍♀️
This seems wildly optimistic tbh, an absolutely batshit "the queen died of trans rights" take is well within their remit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

Being British and living in the US means I’m expecting to be ask about it a million times like I’m some kind of Royal expert, and not someone who doesn’t really give a gently caress either way.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pilchenstein posted:

"the queen died of trans rights"

I might get this on a t-shirt

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

EL BROMANCE posted:

Being British and living in the US means I’m expecting to be ask about it a million times like I’m some kind of Royal expert, and not someone who doesn’t really give a gently caress either way.

just say you're a republican and bask in the confused anger

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Mr. Fix It posted:

just say you're a republican and bask in the confused anger

It's like that in Australia, too. The Liberals are actually the conservatives, and people who are republican are usually pretty liberal.

I once saw someone with "no Republicans" on their dating profile and was like "huh, a weirdly aggressive monarchist?" until I saw they're from the USA.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Platystemon posted:

The gun that killed Garfield was not lost by the Smithsonian Institution in the early twentieth century, but has in fact been deliberated concealed in order to foil Guiteau’s wishes. Guiteau is on record as choosing the ivory-handled revolver because it would look good in a museum one day.

I like to imagine that the gun is in the the director’s desk and has been passed down with the office for more than a century.

This would be incredibly fitting, as Guiteau is the closest real-life equivalent to Ignatius J. Reilly to have walked on the Earth.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

some plague rats posted:

RIP queenie, thought of they/them and died

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

some plague rats posted:

Picture of Liz wearing a name badge that says "Elizabeth Windsor (She/HRH)"

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

canyoneer posted:

Sounds like all that attention is making you royal jelly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
https://twitter.com/deejaygeejaygee/status/1460902375850446860?t=6U0q9h6JPjsxXc7o375Rmg&s=19