Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Ah so even if I win my game I lose if I’m under the median?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i need 12 more points from kelly oubre in 6 minutes of play. i believe in him

e: actually its more now lol. the median just making GBS threads all over my terrible team has been very funny so far

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Red Rox posted:

Ah so even if I win my game I lose if I’m under the median?

You get a win and a loss. This was me week 1.

Can't complain too much though because I'm going to lose my matchup but beat the median so end up still above 500.

Ghost Dog posted:

e: actually its more now lol. the median just making GBS threads all over my terrible team has been very funny so far

I needed Rozier to have a 100 point game like last year.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

lol in the game where they couldn’t score anything for the last 5 minutes? So sorry.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel bad because CreamedCorn should have at least one win considering they are averaging 100 points more than me and yet.

E: oh I have that backwards, 100 more points have been scored against them on average. That's still pretty unlucky.

Rick fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Nov 8, 2021

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Rick posted:

I feel bad because CreamedCorn should have at least one win considering they are averaging 100 points more than me and yet.

E: oh I have that backwards, 100 more points have been scored against them on average. That's still pretty unlucky.

Is CC still active? They left multiple players with games on the bench a few times last week.

Chronicles has some impressive results; #1 in PA and yet they've earned a 5-1 record.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

kalensc posted:

Is CC still active? They left multiple players with games on the bench a few times last week.

Chronicles has some impressive results; #1 in PA and yet they've earned a 5-1 record.

They've been on within the week.

For some benefit of the doubt, it is possible for your roster to be set ahead and just break in fleaflicker. Basically if someone you set on the IR becomes healthy at some point it just doesn't process the lineup change made.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
General announcement that my 2024-25 13th-rounder is possibly available (for the right package)

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

kalensc posted:

my brain is hosed up rn (can't get my adhd meds refilled and i'm sad), is there a way i can like automate having people play who are up or set stuff in advance rn? my current move has been waking up after games have already started.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

creamcorn posted:

my brain is hosed up rn (can't get my adhd meds refilled and i'm sad), is there a way i can like automate having people play who are up or set stuff in advance rn? my current move has been waking up after games have already started.

Aw man that's rough, hope you feel better soon. I don't think Fleaflicker has an auto function like Yahoo fantasy. That would be a nice feature.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

creamcorn posted:

i set it out a week in advance every monday or i'll forget too

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

creamcorn posted:

As others have said you can set in the future. I honestly don't mind setting your lineups for a bit either if that helps if you don't have the energy for that.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

creamcorn posted:

Ah poo poo man I'm sorry, have been in similar places before with certain meds.

Your team can be set many days in advance, although as was mentioned players going on/off IR can have a domino effect on future dates so unfortunately you can't necessarily "set it and forget".

I can help by checkin your roster and moving benched players into starting roles when something seems amiss. Also feel free to reach out if you ever want to chat or vent about stuff, fantasy hoops or otherwise. :yayclod:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I like this format. I like having any good thing my players do count, instead of rooting for like, rebounds specifically or whatever in a given game. It’s less deep in that there’s no real strategy but “pick the best guys” but who cares

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

how do other fantasy leagues work this is literally the only fanty basketball ive ever done

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

how do other fantasy leagues work this is literally the only fanty basketball ive ever done

The most popular format among most people I know (I guess technically roto is more popular world wide but I don't know anyone who does it) divides things up into categories. So like if you have the most points, you get a point, if you have the most rebounds, you get a point, the most steals, you get a point, etc, and then whoever wins the point wins the matchup.

DeimosRising posted:

I like this format. I like having any good thing my players do count, instead of rooting for like, rebounds specifically or whatever in a given game. It’s less deep in that there’s no real strategy but “pick the best guys” but who cares

That is nice to hear because I do think it's less strategy (and they don't even provide the option of categories here) but I do think it is closer to finding good basketball players than like Justin Holiday being a hot commodity.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

thats a wild way to do it, i just assumed all fantasy was like football where your dude just gets points for doing good things and the most points wins

is josh hart just a god in that format lol, random shithead guard getting like 7 rebounds a game

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ghost Dog posted:

thats a wild way to do it, i just assumed all fantasy was like football where your dude just gets points for doing good things and the most points wins

is josh hart just a god in that format lol, random shithead guard getting like 7 rebounds a game

yeah usually in a mildly competitive league it's impossible to be good in every category, so you have to go in with a plan to like, dominate rebounds and blocks and fg% for example, so you take all the best bigs and then get guards who play weird, or you want threes and free throw percentage so you just "punt" on rebounds and take bigs who shoot instead of playing any defense. Basically you have to pick a team that is all or mostly good at the same stuff or you'll just be mediocre at everything. In theory this kind of strategizing would be fun but in reality i think it feels kind of like work, scouring the dregs of the league for good rebounding scrubs or whatever.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

Ha, Josh Hart definitely has his place in the league. He's kind of like the Ingles of our league where he ends up spending a little time on a lot of rosters.

Because most people end up trying to specialize, though, like Deimos said, he doesn't stick. Basically he gives you a lot of a lot of things, but if you just need a certain thing, you're going to find a long term solution that fits that better.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Ghost Dog posted:

Almost none of them are lotr themed. That’s the main difference

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

yeah usually in a mildly competitive league it's impossible to be good in every category, so you have to go in with a plan to like, dominate rebounds and blocks and fg% for example, so you take all the best bigs and then get guards who play weird, or you want threes and free throw percentage so you just "punt" on rebounds and take bigs who shoot instead of playing any defense. Basically you have to pick a team that is all or mostly good at the same stuff or you'll just be mediocre at everything. In theory this kind of strategizing would be fun but in reality i think it feels kind of like work, scouring the dregs of the league for good rebounding scrubs or whatever.

Hmm I only started playing fant last year but I don’t do this at all and I still ended up first. But maybe I got lucky and did it by accident.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

If I make up zero ground tonight it is my Poster's Promise that I will do my best to tank the median for the week

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

God drat Rivetz it's just impossible to claw my way back against your team. Not sure how you ended up with Durant and Davis but that's a tough lineup.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
It's not sustainable. My core guys have missed virtually zero games thus far. I have enough backcourt depth to get past an injury, but if when KD/AD/Nurk start stacking up DNPs, I'm in troubs, especially with the FA pool as thin as it is.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Man what the hell, I was certain I'd set my whole week properly and then oops Connaughton and Sengun were benched for no reason. Missed out on over 140 pts this week from that sort of thing.

Add on Giannis being injured and me not seeing the news til it was too late, and I'll be lucky to scrape over the median this week.

Ah well, tis a long season.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Yeah it’s been a rough start to the season, with people resting, people out for health and safety protocols, and people out with actual injuries. It’s hard to stay on top of it!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

rivetz posted:

It's not sustainable. My core guys have missed virtually zero games thus far. I have enough backcourt depth to get past an injury, but if when KD/AD/Nurk start stacking up DNPs, I'm in troubs, especially with the FA pool as thin as it is.

The biggest thing to slow you down would've been me accepting the Cade trade you proposed in the draft, lol. I mean your team would still have been really good.

kalensc posted:

Man what the hell, I was certain I'd set my whole week properly and then oops Connaughton and Sengun were benched for no reason. Missed out on over 140 pts this week from that sort of thing.

Add on Giannis being injured and me not seeing the news til it was too late, and I'll be lucky to scrape over the median this week.

Ah well, tis a long season.

In your case I honestly can't tell, usually when this happens it's because someone has a player on the IR who is healthy but both your players are still OUT.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
i've actually been setting my lineups this week, checked in to see how i'm doing against my opponent.

it's the generals, lol.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Rick posted:

The biggest thing to slow you down would've been me accepting the Cade trade you proposed in the draft, lol. I mean your team would still have been really good.
Between that one and my decision to trade down 2 entire rounds just to move up three slots for the privilege [citation needed] of drafting DeAndre Hunter, perhaps trades are not my thing this year

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

This isn't limited to Lothlorien, but the other NBA/NHL fantasy leagues I'm in don't have a thread like this one so:

I'm mildly annoyed that a player can finish their game, and hours later I still cannot drop them to pick up someone else. You're at the mercy of the league schedule, and hoping that when a particular player becoming available/active/healed/etc it coincides with your 12th/13th-best player not being "Locked".

Blah.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

kalensc posted:

This isn't limited to Lothlorien, but the other NBA/NHL fantasy leagues I'm in don't have a thread like this one so:

I'm mildly annoyed that a player can finish their game, and hours later I still cannot drop them to pick up someone else. You're at the mercy of the league schedule, and hoping that when a particular player becoming available/active/healed/etc it coincides with your 12th/13th-best player not being "Locked".

Blah.

It's definitely annoying. This is actually one thing that ESPN is better at, is that once the first game starts, all add/remove actions are considered to be on tomorrow's roster. Well except for the part where if a player is announced hurt two hours before an east coast evening game on a Sunday you can't get a player to replace them because there was a game at noon.

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 15, 2021

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

It's definitely annoying. This is actually one thing that ESPN is better at, is that once the first game starts, all add/remove actions are considered to be on tomorrow's roster. Well except for the part where if a player is announced hurt two hours before an east coast evening game on a Sunday you can't get a player to replace them because there was a game at noon.

That latter bit is really unavoidable. Obviously also a big issue in football. Unless you forced teams to announce their roster, no takebacks, a day in advance (one weird trick gamblers would fucken love)

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Coby White is BACK with a whopping score of 0.83. I think it was negative for a second there.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Rick posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought Fleaflicker did initially. When you adjusted the settings regarding # weekly adds and waiver times in Week 2, did that affect this aspect as well?

Anyways, it's a very minor gripe, when compared to my Yahoo NHL league. Every transaction is pushed to the following day, with days changing around 3 or 4AM I guess.

So today, Wednesday morning at 6AM, I could try to pickup a freely available (not on waivers) player, BUT they'd only be added to my roster on Thursday morning. You need to be fuckin Nostradamus when it comes to starting line-ups and late scratches due to lingering injuries.

And now Ottawa has suspended all team activities for a week due to a covid outbreak, and not only did I lose a bunch of games stats-wise but I can't even replace them due to a lack of IR~(Capitalists Are Pretending We're Less Than Halfway Through A Goddamn Pandemic) spots.

The above was so ridiculous that I could only chuckle and think "Look how they massacred my rook" when the Mobley injury news came out.

Anyways....most of y'all have turkey weekend coming up. Are you able to celebrate remotely, or will you be rolling the dice on travel and family gatherings?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Aw damnit I finally fell victim to what you’re all talking about. Couldn’t drop Paul Reed late last night because he had played that day, and now I lost out on Chemizie Metu (lol)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I definitely think it might be the waiver thing. It seems to have pushed the problems I always dealt with trying to adjust my roster in the dead of night into east coast morning instead. I can undo it. We would lose being able to add people same day but it doesn’t seem like anyone is doing that anyway (although people ARE using waivers now which is interesting).

I hope everyone is being safe out there when you bring up travel. I know family is a different priority for most than me.

I prefer to spend Thanksgiving alone. I got a Turkey breast to cook in the instant pot since that was like the one of the few successes I have had in the contraption. Then I will go out into the woods on Friday or Saturday for the day.

Pre-pandemic I had planned on picking up the ultimate irony-posting tradition of going to a truck stop to pick up to-go food from a buffet and then head out to the woods then, but still not going to do it this year. Maybe next year.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

The Maestro posted:

Aw damnit I finally fell victim to what you’re all talking about. Couldn’t drop Paul Reed late last night because he had played that day, and now I lost out on Chemizie Metu (lol)

just give it a day and I'll have dropped him for *rolls dice* Brandon Clarke

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

what are u doing in the woods rick. what are you doing to the woods

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I have no idea why my roster reset today but it fucken sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Rick posted:

I definitely think it might be the waiver thing. It seems to have pushed the problems I always dealt with trying to adjust my roster in the dead of night into east coast morning instead. I can undo it. We would lose being able to add people same day but it doesn’t seem like anyone is doing that anyway (although people ARE using waivers now which is interesting).

I hope everyone is being safe out there when you bring up travel. I know family is a different priority for most than me.

I prefer to spend Thanksgiving alone. I got a Turkey breast to cook in the instant pot since that was like the one of the few successes I have had in the contraption. Then I will go out into the woods on Friday or Saturday for the day.

Pre-pandemic I had planned on picking up the ultimate irony-posting tradition of going to a truck stop to pick up to-go food from a buffet and then head out to the woods then, but still not going to do it this year. Maybe next year.

I think it's okay as is, just had an adjustment period. Seems like an okay trade-off for those who want to stream.

I def can see same-day drops/adds occurring when folks go from questionable to out, or if there's a late push to beat the median, etc.

Rick, please tell me it's a good buffet. Chillin solo is pretty neat though, I did the same for Canadian Turkey weekend. Even with my respirator I won't be doing indoor gatherings of any kind for a while yet.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 18, 2021