Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Plutonis posted:

That would be funny (and horrifying) to see, even if they managed to sway the local elites into supporting their cause the countrysides would be likely be bristling with anti-anglo guerillas and escaped slaves, not to mention that it would turn them into a complete pariah state to the world.

The latifundia system in many Central American states was practically like slavery anyway, so I doubt the people in the countryside would have minded much one way or the other. There's even a possibility they would have liked it more if the planters brought in black slaves and let them be yeomen like the poor whites of the South.

That's just a possibility, mind. The Confederates weren't reasonable people. They filled their heads with tons of nonsense from the worst authors of European literary canon, and believed in the power of will & honor through overwhelming violence. It only took a hundred years for Southern honor culture to turn into something way more insane and violent than anything in traditional European aristocracy. Brawls, duels, and blood feuds were just a way of life to southerners - so it's especially funny that northerners couldn't believe they'd want to go to war after they'd already been killing each other for generations just for the Hell of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

One of the more subtle parts I liked of Django unchained was showing the southern aristocracy to be philistines and barbarians playing at being “civilized European Nobels”

I really wish there was more civil war content like RWN. I haven’t heard much in that vein other than (to me) the rehabilitation of John Brown in some pop history as a freedom fighter rather than a terrorist.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxvwi-M3LTM

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

You know how Mohammed brought an end to the interminable blood feuds that plagued Arab society? That's the same kind of effect that Union victory had on the South in the long run.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Any of McClellan's behavior after the retreat of Johnston's inferior force from Munson's Hill is extremely suspect imo. McClellan relied almost entirely on intel reports from Pinkerton agents about the size of Johnston's army, and these reports were total bulllshit. The Pinkertons were saying Johnston outnumbered McClellan at least two-to-one. So when Johnston's army then retreats from an elevated position overlooking the Capitol building after two months and they leave Quaker guns behind to basically mock his cowardice and indecision, you'd think this would have caused McClellan to disregard Pinkerton intel and, you know, send his own scouting parties in the future. But he uses Pinkerton reports on enemy troop strength again and again to justify overcautious behavior during the Seven Days battles and at Antietam where like a quarter of his army was held in reserve.

The dude was a Copperhead and there was bitch in his heart and he certainly behaved in a way that was indistinguishable at times from treason, as some of his own officers made plain.

MeatwadIsGod has issued a correction as of 04:12 on Nov 17, 2021

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Hanlons razor. I think its far more likely he was just a colossal idiot.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
im only halfway through the carl zha taiwan part 1 and there's like 3 hours more lol.

it owns tho

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

feeling incrediby pissed off & betrayed that mark said antietam was the bloodiest battle in american history. not even the bloodiest battle in the dang war!

i am sure he misspoke and meant it was the bloodiest single day, but, nevertheless, i was wagging my finger

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Popped up in my news feed and immediately thought of RNW
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1460991820033363977

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ugh I don't care about Russiagate

I know Mark has a chip on his shoulder about it but please talk about anything else

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lobster shirt posted:

feeling incrediby pissed off & betrayed that mark said antietam was the bloodiest battle in american history. not even the bloodiest battle in the dang war!

i am sure he misspoke and meant it was the bloodiest single day, but, nevertheless, i was wagging my finger

Being the bloodiest single day means that the actual combat was the bloodiest, so it's hardly inaccurate. Battles can sometimes go on for weeks or months, so you have to draw the line somewhere.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

It feels like John has identified Tigray as the underdogs in Ethiopia, and has fallen for a lot of their narrative.

He's putting too much faith in the clown show "alliance" with other groups the TPLF announced especially. Ethiopia is being held together at this by mutual hatred of the TPLF at this point.

edit: "The US never liked the TPLF." C'mon John, the US thought the TPLF and Abiy were cool, which was a big reason for the confused early response.

Atrocious Joe has issued a correction as of 19:35 on Nov 17, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Episode redeemed, Mark is reading out his posts of Trump thread posters and mocking them

"They said 'Even if the piss tape isn't real, the piss tape is real.'"

"What does that MEAN?"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'll never give up my hat

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Love Mark but the Piss Tape is real.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1460654144914706436

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Atrocious Joe posted:

Episode redeemed, Mark is reading out his posts of Trump thread posters and mocking them

"They said 'Even if the piss tape isn't real, the piss tape is real.'"

"What does that MEAN?"

I haven’t listened to the episode yet does he actually say that verbatim ??

Because I posted exactly that like a month ago on one of his tweets and only like two people ever read it and now it’s being referenced on my favorite podcast lmao

Guess this is where I e-peak

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1457452491797417999?s=20

He specifically talks about the responses to this tweet.

Congrats on having Mark and John mock you.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ancestor of robert e lee lol

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I haven’t listened to the episode yet does he actually say that verbatim ??

Because I posted exactly that like a month ago on one of his tweets and only like two people ever read it and now it’s being referenced on my favorite podcast lmao

Guess this is where I e-peak

he does, but they're tweets (including from randygdub) not from cspam

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

he does, but they're tweets (including from randygdub) not from cspam

how many smegmas are there

https://twitter.com/ocshirereeve/status/1457764314039922689?s=20

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Atrocious Joe posted:

What came out about the realness of the piss tape that's got him worked up

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Atrocious Joe posted:

on no i am owned because they chuckled at my shitpost

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

hearing about how the CIA tried to do the russian sex tape thing to sukarno in indonesia half a century earlier was illuminating (it didn't work then, either)

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I don't think they understand that we don't really care if the pisstape is real, only that the idea of it is very funny

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
At this point, would even The Piss Tape on Bluray move the needle at all?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Nah it’d just be a whole lot of fun.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Lol at Mark biting on Piss Tape Is Real shitposts.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I don't think they understand that we don't really care if the pisstape is real, only that the idea of it is very funny

We're only falling for propaganda as a joke

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Could imagine a teary eyed Max Boot declaring in his Wapo op Ed that this time for real Trump hit bottom and will finally be marginalized so we can get back to invading again while Dan Bongino proclaims how getting pissed to own Obama is a totally alpha move and boomers bragging about doing piss-play to own the libs becomes the new Goya Beans?

It’s a timeline funnier than America deserves.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

net work error posted:

Love Mark but the Piss Tape is real.

it's time to move on

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Clark Nova posted:

hearing about how the CIA tried to do the russian sex tape thing to sukarno in indonesia half a century earlier was illuminating (it didn't work then, either)

It worked at making Sukarno seem cooler.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it's time to move on

no

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Samuel Johnson posted:

How is it that we hear the loudest yelps for liberty among the drivers of negroes?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

the latest article on Ethiopia was trash.

Atrocious Joe posted:

It feels like John has identified Tigray as the underdogs in Ethiopia, and has fallen for a lot of their narrative.

He's putting too much faith in the clown show "alliance" with other groups the TPLF announced especially. Ethiopia is being held together at this by mutual hatred of the TPLF at this point.

edit: "The US never liked the TPLF." C'mon John, the US thought the TPLF and Abiy were cool, which was a big reason for the confused early response.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it's time to move on

How can I move on from the truth OP

e: This McClellan guy sure sounds pretty sus as the kids say nowadays!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Listening to them take a victory lap about Russiagate was fun but also scary because I kinda forgot how insane everyone was over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
its a hollow victory since it accomplished what it set ought to do, and they'll just keep moving on to new foreign targets to demonize (china) to take the heat off domestic issues