Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Azathoth posted:

"art's parts"

i once had a guy claiming to be ray palmers son try and sell me what he said was recovered slag from the maury island incident. i emailed stanton friedman about this and he "very much doubted a four foot tall hunchbacked individual would produce a son." another very much wanted to sell me a genuine abductee implant like a dale gribble b plot. the moral of the story is work lumps of metal into your myths for fun and profit.

Tighclops posted:

I just want to know what the gently caress's going on because clearly something is loving around out there but everyone involved seems like they are either a grifter or have an angle and I don't trust any true believe CIA spook bastards to tell me the truth out of the goodness of their own hearts

I'm just venting but fuuUUUUUuuuck

Like Omumamumo or whatever that passed by was obviously weird as gently caress but is that Avi Loeb guy for real or is he just trying to sell his book and get consistent funding for himself, or is it both I don't know

its weird science to even the purebrain science men. dont worry its actually interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

poisonpill posted:

He's talking about Lockmart and the U2, right?
The A-12/SR-71 was directly pitched by the CIA to Skunk Works and they set up all the fronts and shell companies needed to get the Titanium from Russia. That would be my guess.

valp posted:

Well according to the race of friendly psychic lizard people (that have titties) who secretly live inside our hollow earth and have been observing us since before written history began, it's because the earth itself has an unstable magnetic field and some UFO's can't handle that.
They're not birds, they're Juggalos

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

parked down by the oceanside
brilliant stars against black sea
blasting bluegrass out the windows
an invitation extended to aitee

https://youtu.be/z_Y3mnj-8lA

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

The A-12/SR-71 was directly pitched by the CIA to Skunk Works and they set up all the fronts and shell companies needed to get the Titanium from Russia. That would be my guess.

They're not birds, they're Juggalos

the cia-air force-skunk works trifecta around cutting edge aerospace around that time would be the obvious one, and would kind of explain why the air force has been so standoffish or why skunk works has been kinda involved

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rah! posted:

lol

why did the army want it

it was the cold war, and then we found a lifeform

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

an almost entirely straight-faced Politico piece on it now https://twitter.com/ddeanjohnson/status/1461101171968512005?s=20

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Remember when the nice seeming aliens made the US government reveal the Stargate program to the public and it ended up with all of humanity getting sterilized?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zisky posted:

Remember when the nice seeming aliens made the US government reveal the Stargate program to the public and it ended up with all of humanity getting sterilized?

where the gently caress is thor

i know you're up there you little bastard

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

an almost entirely straight-faced Politico piece on it now https://twitter.com/ddeanjohnson/status/1461101171968512005?s=20

”The outer space CODEL is coming.”

they’re not sending their best. they’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with them. they’re bringing drugs. they’re bringing crime. they’re rapists. and some, i assume, are good people

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Rah! posted:

lol

why did the army want it

maybe theres a general that believes in ancient aliens who came to earth in pyramid ships after the martian nuclear war

SUPERDOOPERWEAPONS

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Zisky posted:

honestly I can't loving watch SG-1 reruns even casually because I know that IRL the air force would shut down the stargate program because that whole branch of the military is run by evangelicals who think UFOs are demonic and won't willingly investigate them (and also because the idea that the US would altruistically try to save the human cultures spread around the galaxy from their alien overlords instead of subjugating them right along with the Goa'uld is less believable than literally any other trope in science fiction)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Also SETI talks thing about UAP happening 7pm PST/10 EST
https://www.seti.org/event/seti-talks-uaps-are-they-worth-scientific-attention

you have to sign up (it's free) and they send you a zoom link

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Tighclops posted:

honestly I can't loving watch SG-1 reruns even casually because I know that IRL the air force would shut down the stargate program because that whole branch of the military is run by evangelicals who think UFOs are demonic and won't willingly investigate them (and also because the idea that the US would altruistically try to save the human cultures spread around the galaxy from their alien overlords instead of subjugating them right along with the Goa'uld is less believable than literally any other trope in science fiction)

the air force brass in charge of the stargate* project thinks its really a time travel program and he always knew it was such :ssh:

edit: *the fictional stargate program, not the real one lol

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Also SETI talks thing about UAP happening 7pm PST/10 EST
https://www.seti.org/event/seti-talks-uaps-are-they-worth-scientific-attention

you have to sign up (it's free) and they send you a zoom link

hopefully someone will liveblog it here?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

quote:

Imagine, for one moment, if it turns out that the U.S. government really was, and has been, continuing to be involved in this topic. And has kept that secret, not only from the American people, which is bad enough, but even kept it from itself. People who are paid to be in the know, people that run special access programs, people that are charged with the oversight of these things.

This bit is really interesting to me. The guys that do what Lue does, they're true believers - not just in generic patriotism, but in their specific mission. If Lue thinks the internal bits of the intelligence community that should know about these things hasn't been told, he's going to be pissed, which fits a lot with his effort to push disclosure.

Of course he's still a career military intelligence guy so whether or not you believe that is a different matter, but it does fit.

Rah! posted:

there's the weird metal alloys that tom delonge gave to the US army

apparently it looked a lot like random space junk or meteorite bits, but also the US army was interested enough to take them, so if they are real bird materials, u will never hear about it until uncle sam is driving quantum tanks out of ur butte

What the military did, per the Wired article, is form a CRADA, which is a form of cooperative research agreement where an institution and a military lab agreed to work together. The agreement is publicly available through the Black Vault here: https://documents2.theblackvault.com/documents/army/TTSA-ARMY-CRADA.pdf

Most of it is legal boilerplate; the interesting bits start on page 21, where they claim things like inertial mass reduction and quantum communications along with (very slightly) more realistic things like electromagnetic waveguide metamaterials. The CRADA does require yearly reporting, but I've never seen any of those reports mentioned in this thread, so who knows if they've been done or if they're available anywhere. I don't know the guys from the Ground Vehicle Systems Center that are doing this, which probably sounds like a "duh" kind of thing but I actually run into a lot of scientists from various national labs at conferences (they always walk around in polos and jeans while everyone else wears business attire, living the dream) so I have no idea how competent they are.

edit: they're definitely not as competent as me though which is why Lue should send me the loving alloys already

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!
my first gateway experience ended in the back of an astralvan

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

edit: i am an idiot

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

so say we all

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Wheeee posted:

so say we all

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, I think thread consensus is that both something is going on outside of what humans* are doing but also that whatever is happening with "Disclosure" is some kind of an op

None of the explanations for what the op is about really seem to make sense though, so ... yeah, we all get to just live with the mystery I guess

*well present time humans at least

I think it's an op but a unilateral one. There is very obviously an internal power war going on over this. Stuff like the Pentagon changing it's story about :lue: multiple times is a good indicator that different power bases within the military industrial complex are fighting politically over whether to continue as we have or disclose.

It seems pretty obvious to me that :lue:, and Mellon especially, represent a group who is fed up with the secrecy and has moved unilaterally to force disclosure. They are doing it incredibly smartly too. If Lue had just started giving interviews he would be one more crank, but he pulled a fast one getting those videos declassified and the initial disclosure through the NYT. They tied the hands of the other group by doing so preventing them from denying it and sweeping it all under the rug. Now with people like Loeb getting involved and congressmen championing it either the military is going to have to fully disclose everything or somebody like the Galileo project will figure it out on their own. I get the feeling they've realized this and are at least partially cooperating with :lue: to roll this out with as much control as possible.

So I think that's why we are getting the sense it is an op. It is, it's just not one designed to fool the public or foreign adversaries. It's an op for full disclosure fighting against the immense inertia that has existed for 80 years regarding this subject.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

D-Pad posted:

I think it's an op but a unilateral one. There is very obviously an internal power war going on over this. Stuff like the Pentagon changing it's story about :lue: multiple times is a good indicator that different power bases within the military industrial complex are fighting politically over whether to continue as we have or disclose.

It seems pretty obvious to me that :lue:, and Mellon especially, represent a group who is fed up with the secrecy and has moved unilaterally to force disclosure. They are doing it incredibly smartly too. If Lue had just started giving interviews he would be one more crank, but he pulled a fast one getting those videos declassified and the initial disclosure through the NYT. They tied the hands of the other group by doing so preventing them from denying it and sweeping it all under the rug. Now with people like Loeb getting involved and congressmen championing it either the military is going to have to fully disclose everything or somebody like the Galileo project will figure it out on their own. I get the feeling they've realized this and are at least partially cooperating with :lue: to roll this out with as much control as possible.

So I think that's why we are getting the sense it is an op. It is, it's just not one designed to fool the public or foreign adversaries. It's an op for full disclosure fighting against the immense inertia that has existed for 80 years regarding this subject.

It kinda also seems factions at the DoD who were iced out by the compartmentalization of the contracting system found out via Lue and got majorly pissed off at the malfeasance of the contractors and their predecessors.
It's definitely not just Lue against the world in there - he's got powerful allies in the fed space against the faction that is clearly running damage control against him

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

It kinda also seems factions at the DoD who were iced out by the compartmentalization of the contracting system found out via Lue and got majorly pissed off at the malfeasance of the contractors and their predecessors.
It's definitely not just Lue against the world in there - he's got powerful allies in the fed space against the faction that is clearly running damage control against him

Definitely. Another big aspect of this is it's pretty obvious that a (probably) majority of sightings actually are adversarial drones from Russia and China performing SIGINT and scouting infrastructure both civilian and military. Because of the stigma around this stuff, especially in the military prior to 2018, China and Russia pretty much had a free pass to make a drone look weird and then fly it over wherever they wanted, including carrier groups, without any real risk of fingers being pointed at them starting an international incident.

There's no way China/Russia didn't see the opportunity and exploit it. :Lue:'s group most likely believe that the only way to do something about this is going to involve the other thing happening, non-human UAPs. It's a huge threat to national security and important to do something about it, but as soon as you start encouraging pilots and others to report strange poo poo in the sky some of them are gonna be this even if the majority are human drones.

My biggest fear is that once it becomes obvious a lot of these are adversarial drones the group that doesn't want disclosure is going to push the narrative really hard that that is all that is going on, :Lue: and others are crazy for crying aliens when it was just China/Russia, and ignore the fact that there are tons of credible sightings of things that do not fit that explanation. And because of all the terminal NDT brains and an apathetic American public it's likely to work.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Definitely. Another big aspect of this is it's pretty obvious that a (probably) majority of sightings actually are adversarial drones from Russia and China performing SIGINT and scouting infrastructure both civilian and military. Because of the stigma around this stuff, especially in the military prior to 2018, China and Russia pretty much had a free pass to make a drone look weird and then fly it over wherever they wanted, including carrier groups, without any real risk of fingers being pointed at them starting an international incident.

There's no way China/Russia didn't see the opportunity and exploit it. :Lue:'s group most likely believe that the only way to do something about this is going to involve the other thing happening, non-human UAPs. It's a huge threat to national security and important to do something about it, but as soon as you start encouraging pilots and others to report strange poo poo in the sky some of them are gonna be this even if the majority are human drones.

My biggest fear is that once it becomes obvious a lot of these are adversarial drones the group that doesn't want disclosure is going to push the narrative really hard that that is all that is going on, :Lue: and others are crazy for crying aliens when it was just China/Russia, and ignore the fact that there are tons of credible sightings of things that do not fit that explanation. And because of all the terminal NDT brains and an apathetic American public it's likely to work.

if this is the real thing that's going on, then lue's team only has to move the football into the open; once they get the real poo poo out there there is absolutely dick the other folks can do; i am not entirely enthused at disclosure, because disclosure on certain lines has implications i've already writ insanity large itt about

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

this thread is a saul to paul pipeline

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

this thread is a saul to paul pipeline

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

that cut is too deep for me

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

that cut is too deep for me

Meanwhile Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest 2 and asked him for letters to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any who belonged to the Way, men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem. 3 Now as he was going along and approaching Damascus, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. 4 He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?” 5 He asked, “Who are you, Lord?” The reply came, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 6 But get up and enter the city, and you will be told what you are to do.” 7 The men who were traveling with him stood speechless because they heard the voice but saw no one. 8 Saul got up from the ground, and though his eyes were open, he could see nothing; so they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus. 9 For three days he was without sight, and neither ate nor drank.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I blame Paul for American style Evangelicalism

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

me too

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

call me paul again and die motherfucker!!!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the only paul I acknowledge is Paul Atreides, father of The Tyrant

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

I blame Paul for American style Evangelicalism

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

SETI talk coming in hot with Roswell as an opener lmao hell yeah

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Objurium posted:

SETI talk coming in hot with Roswell as an opener lmao hell yeah

Awful lot of DC-area folks sounding off in the chat
lotta fed nerds
we're all into it

also apparently the UAP legislation passed

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

they're playing this really straight so far
going over how weird the videos were with no NDTs on the panel so far

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Summary: "There are so many different reports/data/incidents, they can't all be sensor errors"

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Summary: "There are so many different reports/data/incidents, they can't all be sensor errors"

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Lmfao *Kramers into a SETI zoom meeting*

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kinda sounds like SETI is trying to get in on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Objurium posted:

Lmfao *Kramers into a SETI zoom meeting*