Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Just make it a regular event, those bombs have to get decommissioned somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jeebus bob posted:

I'm not arguing either way on this, but just wanted to advise anyone who hasn't done so already to listen to Kennedy's "We choose to go to the Moon" speech.

Gripping stuff.

I still don’t understand why Rice plays Texas.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

See, if we had properly chastened the south what would become of our glorious southern convention?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Blarghalt posted:

If you truly understand the lesson of Reconstruction and its failures, you realize the South should've suffered old-school roman decimation

Where would we get Marines if we didn't have the south?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

vyelkin posted:

this part kinda makes sense too because believe it or not the Soviets were the first ones to the moon, just not with humans on board. The first spacecraft to touch the moon were Soviet rockets that were basically just shot at it for funsies, so it makes sense that the Americans would be like "okay we're gonna do that too but we'll finish it off with a nuclear explosion so that everybody in the world sees that we totally did this thing that the Soviets already did"

They also sent the fist Lunokhod to the Moon (where it operated for months) less than a year after Apollo 11, which always seemed more impressive.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Shame Boy posted:

I really love the idea of paying for a like $2 hot dog with bitcoin though. Having to wait like 20 minutes for the transaction to confirm, and paying ~$30 in transaction fees for the privilege.

Capitalism may yet be defeated.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the whole thing was a propaganda thing to cover icbm dev and americans are the best in the world for propaganda and have been for more than a century. who cares about actual facts

basically everyone who has come to america came because of a pogrom or an advertisement. internal movements within america too. its the nationstate whose existence and continuance depends upon ads

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the whole thing was a propaganda thing to cover icbm dev and americans are the best in the world for propaganda and have been for more than a century. who cares about actual facts

Eh I think it's half that, but it definitely became its own thing that we did for its own reasons (propaganda reasons, but still distinct from ICBM's). Cuz stuff like cryogenic liquid propellants really did not help ICBM development beyond the very first generation, but we wound up sinking more time and effort into making the Biggest Goddamn Rocket Engine using those than any other technology. Not to mention H2/O2 engine development which was a hugely difficult task and had zero applicability to any kind of practical weapons system. poo poo like guidance and tracking computers though, yeah definitely.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDtabTufxao&t=58s

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Shame Boy posted:

There wasn't really a stated goal until Kennedy said out loud "the moon seems p cool, maybe that? in like a decade or less? idk" tbf. Like we didn't go to the moon and then retroactively declare "okay that was the goal the entire time by the way".

I mean we still lost by nearly every other measure though so whatever.

and if he didnt get assassinated, we might have given up part way thru because it was really expensive

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

duz posted:

and if he didnt get assassinated, we might have given up part way thru because it was really expensive

Why were so many NASA employes in dallas that day :tinfoil:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Shame Boy posted:

I mean admittedly, detonating a big ol' nuke on the moon does sound really fun, like a fireworks show everyone on earth gets to see, and it's the moon so who cares. Sure it'd ruin any chance we have of extracting further useful science from studying the moon, but like... big pretty fireball! Come on scientists, can't you let us ruin one measly heavenly body? You have so many!

Thinking about it I guess you'd need at least two so people on the opposite side of the earth could see it too, and maybe another a few months later in case you missed it cuz it was cloudy where you were... hmm.

Zack Snyder faked the moon nuke. :tinfoil:

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Shame Boy posted:

Honestly I think some people in the US MIC just really, really wanted to nuke the moon, regardless of other factors.

Who wouldn't? Sitting in the sky every night like it's hot poo poo, looking down on us. Ohhhh you control the tides, who cares, nobody likes tides anyway!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Paladinus posted:

At least they only allow you to be a billionaire if you don't criticise the people who hold political power!

China allows people to be billionaires, instead of redistributing their wealth and executing them, wow what an awesome country we should all admire

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Jeremiah Flintwick posted:

Who wouldn't? Sitting in the sky every night like it's hot poo poo, looking down on us. Ohhhh you control the tides, who cares, nobody likes tides anyway!

if we can stop tides it means we can save money on beach cleanup because there won't be tides to flop ocean trash on the beach every day

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Shoot the moon!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

this is why the move moonfall is happening

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

duz posted:

this is why the move moonfall is happening

More like moonfail, eh

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Phanatic posted:

"Buy one of our phones and literally every aspect of your private life, every last sanctuary and respite can be devote instead to labor."

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Blarghalt posted:

If you truly understand the lesson of Reconstruction and its failures, you realize the South should've suffered old-school roman decimation

William of Normandy style, the Harrowing of the South :getin:

And purges of the government of confederate sympathizers and southerners in general. Plus they don't get full statehood back for 20 years.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1461098251592085506?s=20

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

honestly the Seveneves timeline is looking pretty great right now

Currently rereading that book and whuff his writing is garbage.

PS. Nuke the moon

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

tokin opposition posted:

Currently rereading that book and whuff his writing is garbage.

PS. Nuke the moon

Yeah, he's never been a natural talent. Just a really clever guy that wants to write.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SRmJG3nkUo

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Antonymous posted:

You look at what the pro hollywood diet is for getting in shape and its like eat some fish and poultry, some nuts, some berries, some kind of brassica and slow digesting starch like brown rice. I'm not a dumbass primitivist I'm just saying look at what farmers ate and it's like uh, bread?

Also a fuckload of steroids.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I knew somebody who had this t shirt 15-20 years ago.

I don't know what imao.us is, I assume it's some kind of hate website

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

IAMKOREA posted:

iirc there was a bar tender goon who served Adrien Brody when Predators (awesome movie) came out and asked him how he got in shape for it and Brody told him about using steroids

I mean, he isn’t an athlete and all, but it somehow feels like cheating still?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Professor Shark posted:

iirc there was a bar tender goon who served Adrien Brody when Predators (awesome movie) came out and asked him how he got in shape for it and Brody told him about using steroids

I mean, he isn’t an athlete and all, but it somehow feels like cheating still?

Lol who gives a poo poo. His body has literally nothing to do with you

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Insane to think there's all this blowing up the moon chat and nobody posted this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTJ3LIA5LmA

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I knew somebody who had this t shirt 15-20 years ago.

I don't know what imao.us is, I assume it's some kind of hate website

obviously imao = in my rear end opinion

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

:shrug:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

sorry he hurt your feelings, the post is just backing up the “actors take steroids” anecdote

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

IAMKOREA posted:

hgh

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

i am harry posted:

sorry he hurt your feelings, the post is just backing up the “actors take steroids” anecdote

It was more that "it feels like cheating to me :qq: " I was responding to. But yes, it is my feelings that are hurt. I am Big Mad

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

It was more that "it feels like cheating to me :qq: " I was responding to. But yes, it is my feelings that are hurt. I am Big Mad

And I mean big

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I wasn't crying, don't tell Adrien Brody that I cried

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if i was rich i'd 100% use steroids to get super jacked with minimal effort

getting jacked without steroids is actually a gigantic pain in the rear end

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

blatman posted:

That's not how steroids work.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

blatman posted:

So is living with all that muscle mass.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

seems like a pretty good deal to have millions of dollars and just exercise for half the day then pretend to be a super hero for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

spacetoaster posted:

That's not how steroids work.

Don't make me tap the study which showed the cohort of subjects who took T and did no exercise put on more muscle mass than the no-T+exercise alone group