Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

McGavin posted:

Chinathread: I've just been resting at home and everything is fine.

Also hopefully she gets enough rest at home and doesn't need to stay in alternative accommodation for a lengthier recuperation. Although professional tennis can be a very exhausting occupation perhaps a state-sponsored education might lead her to a more harmonious career. I hear there are some excellent educational facilities up in xinjiang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

China does not recognize dual citizenship. John Cena has always been a part of China.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

more like John Sina lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

McGavin posted:

more like John Sina lol

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

McGavin posted:

more like John Sina lol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

McGavin posted:

more like John Sina lol

mad for not thinking of this

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

McGavin posted:

more like John Sina lol

:vince:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

:rip:

Bangkok sucks now.

It's not all bad. A Thai family that ran a chain of Chinese restaurants in the States sold them off and moved to Bangkok to be the premier American Chinese restaurant in Bangkok (wasn't much competition, but still) and they're loving solid. They're now expanding into buffalo wings. Their hot and sour soup is loving good.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

McGavin posted:

more like John Sina lol

New thread title?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

McGavin posted:

more like John Sina lol

mods change my name to this tia

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

McGavin posted:

more like John Sina lol
Make this guy IK

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The Alchemist posted:

You have about same amount of paid vacation, pay is not good(compared to the living costs) unless you are a university professor, yet you have to be very competent and take new training courses almost every year. Students get to physically bully you but if you so much as shout at them, you are going to lose your teaching permit. I'd rather live in one of those Chinese detention camps than worked as a highschool teacher in Finland

I think you should've added the same caveat I did, for honesty's sake.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think you should've added the same caveat I did, for honesty's sake.

Source: Used to bully teachers quite a lot back in my own highschool days
Coincidentally back then my two biggest idols were John Cena and chairman Mao.

The Alchemist fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Nov 18, 2021

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

they opened a pf changs in shanghai but it closed pretty fast and im forever mad i didn't go to it while it was open.

someone also opened a pretty bougie american-chinese place to cater to expats but it was $$$ so i never went. why am i gonna pay like 15+ usd for orange chicken when I can get 糖醋里脊 or 锅包肉 for a fraction of that price????? also they didn't have crab rangoons objectively the best american chinese food item.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I had crab rangoon on Tuesday.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

gently caress yeah american chinese food

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyway, lol:

https://twitter.com/CGTNOfficial/status/1461025491842916358

Not at the situation but the idea anyone would believe this. Amazing.

https://twitter.com/SheenaGreitens/status/1461149205335003138?s=20
I don't think they're buying it...

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

McGavin posted:

Chinathread: I've just been resting at home and everything is fine.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

She displayed courage but not as much planning or foresight. Better to do it like a Russian ballet dancer and be a rabidly loyal party member right up to the moment you vanish from your dressing room during an international tour and reappear in the American embassy with your asylum application filled out and signed.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Not sure how meaningful that would be when all her family are still there.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
The worst thing is that the tragically inept "Hi everyone my name is Peng Shuai" email means she could not physically by coerced into making a statement on video, so things must be really bad for Peng Shuai right now.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

ili posted:

Not sure how meaningful that would be when all her family are still there.

Don't know what you mean by meaningful,
do you think her family aren't currently being punished for her crime of speaking out?

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Is there a term for when authoritarian governments/groups do this?

These excuses/responses that don't convince anyone and are in fact meant to say the opposite.

For example Russia does the same thing when they throw someone out a window. These days it just means 'assassinated' and they want everyone to know they assasinated that person while still being able to go 'wink wink they fell out a window'.

The OK symbol used by white supremacists is another example where they know what they're doing, and they want you to know, but its still deniable.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
If not someone should come up with one...

Crocodenial? Like crocodile tears?

Someone smarter than me probably knows what the actual term is.

Edit: Someone just told me 'implausible deniability' and that's a lot better.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 18, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SerCypher posted:

Is there a term for when authoritarian governments/groups do this?

These excuses/responses that don't convince anyone and are in fact meant to say the opposite.

For example Russia does the same thing when they throw someone out a window. These days it just means 'assassinated' and they want everyone to know they assasinated that person while still being able to go 'wink wink they fell out a window'.

The OK symbol used by white supremacists is another example where they know what they're doing, and they want you to know, but its still deniable.

Yes. You are thinking of the Russian word Vranyo. I don't know if there is a Chinese equivalent, but 'the lie that isn't meant to be genuinely believed but allows you to align yourself with the state narrative' is a common feature of authoritarian regimes.

It isn't really about deniability or dogwhistles. It's about the fact that if I tell a barefaced lie and you have to nod and agree with that lie, I'm forcing you to acknowledge the degree of power I have over you.

e: it's also emblematic of the corrosive nature of authoritarian states on everyday life. The moment everyone accepts that they need to simultaneously live with a private truth and a public truth then that begins to infect every interaction you have.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 18, 2021

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

Yes. You are thinking of the Russian word Vranyo. I don't know if there is a Chinese equivalent, but 'the lie that isn't meant to be genuinely believed but allows you to align yourself with the state narrative' is a common feature of authoritarian regimes.

e: it's also emblematic of the corrosive nature of authoritarian states on everyday life. The moment everyone accepts that they need to simultaneously live with a private truth and a public truth then that begins to infect every interaction you have.

Oh, thank you. That's it exactly.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Been catching up on the "With Chinese Characteristics" podcast, and it very interesting! It's the same kind of chat I usually tune in to this thread for.

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

Ailumao posted:

they opened a pf changs in shanghai but it closed pretty fast and im forever mad i didn't go to it while it was open.

someone also opened a pretty bougie american-chinese place to cater to expats but it was $$$ so i never went. why am i gonna pay like 15+ usd for orange chicken when I can get 糖醋里脊 or 锅包肉 for a fraction of that price????? also they didn't have crab rangoons objectively the best american chinese food item.

idk...as a chinese person who only first tried orange chicken at like, 19. i have to say i quite fancy it...AM I A TRAITOR I AM SORRY

and lettuce cups from pf chang

i know i know

feizhouxiongdi2 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 18, 2021

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Alchenar posted:

It isn't really about deniability or dogwhistles. It's about the fact that if I tell a barefaced lie and you have to nod and agree with that lie, I'm forcing you to acknowledge the degree of power I have over you.

This, but also it acknowledges the fact that no one wants to beleive something they don't want to be true. The more horrible it is, the more they will resist believing it. So as long as you throw out even the flimsiest figleaf, you keep a ton of surprisingly softhearted people on side.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Strategic Tea posted:

This, but also it acknowledges the fact that no one wants to beleive something they don't want to be true. The more horrible it is, the more they will resist believing it. So as long as you throw out even the flimsiest figleaf, you keep a ton of surprisingly softhearted people on side.

Oh yeah, also creates lots of useful idiots overseas.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

How threatening is the WTA's threat to stop holding events in China if Peng Shuai isn't shown to be safe and well?

I know the CCP cares about global prestige etc. And losing WTA events would also be a loss of face, i.e. "China is not big/good enough to hold such events" etc.

But it would also be a perfect opportunity for a CCP performative whinging tantrum complaining about the evil West, and how they are bullying poor innocent China, with the hurting the feelings of the Chinese people etc. They could even throw in a "the WTA is obviously controlled by the CIA" if they wanted to get proper tankie.

I mean, it's good that the WTA isn't buying the flimsy excuse for a cover-up. But I am not entirely convinced that this sporting organization has the teeth to hurt/bother the CCP.

Also, the old rapist guy will almost certainly face no punishment, and Peng Shuai, even if she is shown to be safe, is unlikely to be so indefinitely. Coz nobody holds a grudge against a perceived slight like a CCP official.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Does it matter if china is hurt or not? The WTA isn't responsible for how it's seen in china, but at best the safety of their players only.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Unrelated but posters in this thread have been pretty good with book recs… I'm looking for a pleasantly engaging book about the AC/DC argument when electricity was first introduced on city levels. Public demonstrations electrocuting animals, leaflets filled with lies, double agents and sabotage.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Does it matter if china is hurt or not? The WTA isn't responsible for how it's seen in china, but at best the safety of their players only.

True, and a good point. Peng Shuai's actual wellbeing should be the most important thing.

I was thinking about whether the WTA's, (and hopefully other organizations), threat to withdraw events from the country would maybe, hopefully have the effect of China/the CCP disappearing less people because they are scared of losing the public prestige/legitimacy that such events bring.

Also, second to the woman's actual safety, another major consideration should be whether her rapist will get any sort of punishment. Something we know to be sadly very unlikely.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Alchenar posted:

Yeah it was always interesting talking to people who lived in the soviet union because there was so tangibly a conception of 'you read everything between the lines, what is omitted is as important as what is included' and things were so consistently opaque that it was just a skill people cultivated.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Wow, the WTA is really not backing down.

https://twitter.com/WTA/status/1461418624858607616?s=20

I'd forgotten about this but they apparently moved the finals of their tour to Shenzhen a few years ago, and they have other events in Beijing and maybe Chengdu or Chongqing? They have a lot more to lose than a lot of organizations that bent the knee to China at the first available opportunity.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Been catching up on the "With Chinese Characteristics" podcast, and it very interesting! It's the same kind of chat I usually tune in to this thread for.

Thanks!

I admit I sometimes get episode ideas from in here, or from what people are arguing about in D&D/CSPAM

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

SerCypher posted:

Thanks!

I admit I sometimes get episode ideas from in here, or from what people are arguing about in D&D/CSPAM

Your takes on Breaking With Old Ideas were great. I really enjoyed that episode.

I'm up to Wolf Warrior 2 now, and I'm looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Porfiriato posted:

Wow, the WTA is really not backing down.

https://twitter.com/WTA/status/1461418624858607616?s=20

I'd forgotten about this but they apparently moved the finals of their tour to Shenzhen a few years ago, and they have other events in Beijing and maybe Chengdu or Chongqing? They have a lot more to lose than a lot of organizations that bent the knee to China at the first available opportunity.

Tennis got more balls than John Cena