Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Lollin and laffin at the libs who said everyone would love joe after bif passed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

If presidencies were judged by short-term popularity, the Biden effort would look pretty bad. But that’s a terrible measure. First-term presidents almost always see their party get hammered in the midterm after their inauguration. That’s especially true if the president achieved big things. Michigan State political scientist Matt Grossmann looked at House popular vote trends since 1953. Often when presidents succeeded in passing major legislation — Republicans as well as Democrats — voters swung against the president’s party. Look, just to take a recent example, at how Obamacare preceded a Democratic shellacking in 2010. People distrust change. Success mobilizes opposition. It’s often only in retrospect that these policies become popular and even sacred.

Presidents are judged by history, not the distraction and exhaustion of the moment. Did the person in the Oval Office address the core problem of the moment? The Biden administration passes that test. Sure, there have been failures — the shameful Afghanistan withdrawal, failing to renounce the excesses of the cultural left. But this administration will be judged by whether it reduced inequality, spread opportunity, created the material basis for greater national unity.

It is doing that.

My fear is not that Democrats lose the midterms — it will have totally been worth it. My fear is that Democrats in Congress will make fantastic policies like the expanded Child Tax Credit temporary to make budget numbers look good. If they do that the coming Republican majorities will simply let these policies expire.

If that happens then all this will have been in vain. The Democrats will have squandered what has truly been a set of historic accomplishments. Voters may judge Democrats harshly next November, but if they act with strength history will judge them well.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lol she keeps finding new ways to be utterly embarrassing

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Anime Otaku Cancelled elected Frail Dying Rapist as many others did

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/RepRaskin/status/1461545049519439878

https://twitter.com/RepRaskin/status/1461545602228137990

get his rear end

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the special forces guys certainly do drug trafficking too

quote:

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/fort-bragg-murders-1153405/

A day after the bodies were found, an unnamed Army official leaked to CBS that both Lavigne and Dumas, at the time of their deaths, were under investigation for trafficking narcotics on Fort Bragg, and that investigators suspected “a double homicide from a drug deal gone wrong.”

In recent years, whistleblowers have alleged that the use of hard drugs is widespread among special operators. Three unnamed Navy SEALs told CBS in 2017 that various teammates of theirs had tested positive for cocaine, methamphetamine, MDMA, and heroin, and that the substance-abuse problem was “growing.” In 2014, a Navy SEAL named Angel Martinez-Ramos pleaded guilty after being arrested at Miami’s airport with 10 kilos of cocaine in his carry-on. In 2015, former SEAL James Matthews got pulled over in New Jersey towing a trailer loaded with $1.4 million worth of marijuana. In 2018, former senior special-forces sergeants Daniel Gould and Henry Royer were busted trying to import punching bags that had been gutted and packed with cocaine from Colombia. These are highlights of a significantly lengthier list.
The discovery of Lavigne’s and Dumas’ bodies also raised hard questions for local law enforcement in Fayetteville, which may be home to Fort Bragg, the largest Army base in the U.S., but remains a relatively small Southern town, whose red-brick historical center, built around a white clock tower, quickly gives way to the strip-mall sprawl of discount supermarkets, hamburger drive-throughs, gun stores, and Baptist churches. Dumas had been arrested numerous times in North Carolina on charges ranging from making terroristic threats to impersonating a cop, yet had never been prosecuted. Lavigne, too, managed to escape prosecution on multiple occasions, though he had been suspected of felonies that included harboring an escapee, maintaining a vehicle or dwelling to manufacture a controlled substance, and even murder.

In 2018, Lavigne shot and killed his best friend, a Green Beret named Mark Leshikar, in an inexplicable, drug-fueled altercation that no one witnessed but two little girls. Sheriff’s deputies took him to the station, but he was never placed under arrest or charged with a crime. He was taken home that same night by some of his Delta Force teammates. “They are a very hush-hush community,” says Diane Ballard, a police detective in the tiny town of Vass, where numerous Delta Force operators, current and retired, own houses. “They do what they want.”

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

PeterCat posted:

Just subpar, crowded, mindnumbingly drab, and with a long waiting list to get even that.

The Soviets did make a romantic comedy that had the hook that since every apartment looked exactly alike, the main couple of a meet cute when the man ends up in the wrong apartment because they are all identical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHdFd2RKRSI

i think i'd rather have boring, drab housing that doesn't put me in poverty than be unable to afford housing at all, though maybe my priorities are just wrong

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

what

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

NVM.

Re: US housing, while housing should be a right, I don't trust the US government to build housing that doesn't end up like the projects.

PeterCat has issued a correction as of 08:03 on Nov 19, 2021

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Jeb Robinette Biden could literally wave a pen around and legally forgive all federal student debt, and yet he has not done this. curious!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

yeah I'm sure the senator from MBNA is all about debt erasure

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/status/1461372133884452868

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

you have to know better at this point, like come the gently caress on

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mistermojo posted:

I wish our government was like Ukraine where they literally fight each other

THE Ukraine

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

so this is what he talked to the pope about

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

lmao nooooo

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
you’d think Biden’s PR team would keep him far away from kids

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I chuckled at the sub-Onion tier joke, then clicked and holy poo poo this is real? Fuckin' hell, America is stupid.

shyduck posted:

Frail Dying Rapist
:laffo:

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

:shittypop:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well there's nothing wrong with this other than it's rapey Joe not keeping his hands off another child.

loving hell.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Come the gently caress on

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

He's gotta be trolling us. It's the only thing his brain knows how to do anymore.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lmfaooooo come ON

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/14613668401611489

Wow just what we needed! Thanks!!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Already gone

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Smythe posted:

last night i watched a documentary about shirley chisholm, a black chick who ran for pres in 72 who has a lot of :firstpost:s in her career. pretty interesting lady. anyways, i was initally planning on coming here to complain that over the entire 77 minutes of the film they discussed precisely zero of her policy positions, and further most places on the internet don't talk about them either, which is odd for a legislator. but then, i started thinking about something much much funnier: shirley chisholm got more delegates than kamala harris

lol @ :firstpost: never thought of history as posts, but now i will. thank you

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

mawarannahr posted:

lol @ :firstpost: never thought of history as posts, but now i will. thank you

All those ancient steles in the middle east are basically just posts. Same thing in Egypt. Ramses II post count was off the charts

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

CongoJack posted:

All those ancient steles in the middle east are basically just posts. Same thing in Egypt. Ramses II post count was off the charts

Now, when you had come, you spoke saying thus: ‘I will give good ingots to Gimil-Sin’; this you said to me when you had come, but you have not done it. You have offered bad ingots to my messenger, saying ‘If you will take it, take it; if you will not take it, go away.’ Who am I that you are treating me in this manner — treating me with such contempt? and that between gentlemen such as we are. I have written to you to receive my money, but you have neglected [to return] it. Repeatedly you have made them [messengers] return to me empty-handed through foreign country. Who is there amongst the Dilmun traders who has acted against me in this way? You have treated my messenger with contempt. And further with regard to the silver that you have taken with you from my house you make this discussion. And on your behalf I gave 18 talents of copper to the palace, and Sumi-abum also gave 18 talents of copper, apart from the fact that we issued the sealed document to the temple of Samas. With regard to that copper, as you have treated me, you have held back my money in a foreign territory, although you are obligated to hand it over to me intact. You will learn that here in Ur I will not accept from you copper that is not good. In my house, I will choose and take the ingots one by one. Because you have treated me with contempt, I shall exercise against you my right of selecting the copper.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

I don’t know why but this video triggered memories of that SA thread about the Neverland ranch auction where they found weird stuff in the arcade basement like an alien frozen in ice ].

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

lol
https://twitter.com/ReutersFacts/status/1461391514983190532

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

:sbahj:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

An Outraged Corncob

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

She will be fine, she worked for Pelosi and Obama before and her husband works for *check corporate 8ball*... Accenture*.

*formerly know as Andersen Consulting aka Enron's accountants.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 10:34 on Nov 19, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Toplowtech posted:

She will be fine, she worked for Pelosi and Obama before and her husband works for *check corporate 8ball*... Accenture*.

*formerly know as Andersen Consulting aka Enron's accountants.

she looks good in that thumbnail pic but upon further sleuthing, nothing to write home about. C+

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Shipon posted:

i think i'd rather have boring, drab housing that doesn't put me in poverty than be unable to afford housing at all, though maybe my priorities are just wrong

Also, not even talking about public housing, but a lot of the apartments in the US are absolute garbage. I would say at least in the former Soviet Union a lot of housing is structurally fine but needs some basic maintenance.

Hell, new “luxury” apartments in Portland usually are shoe boxes with paper thin walls that are thrown up as cheaply as humanly possible.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/drdavidsamadi/status/1461148468580335621

:hmmyes: Great loving way to get more people on board with the vaccine you dipshits.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Shipon posted:

It also depends a lot on the era and region. When that housing was the drab-est (and the waiting lists the longest), that was because the choice was between the drab apartments and a shelled-out hole in the ground, because half the country had just been destroyed by a Nazi invasion. Funny how that works!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

Also, not even talking about public housing, but a lot of the apartments in the US are absolute garbage. I would say at least in the former Soviet Union a lot of housing is structurally fine but needs some basic maintenance.

Hell, new “luxury” apartments in Portland usually are shoe boxes with paper thin walls that are thrown up as cheaply as humanly possible.

yeah I've read about how Soviet-era apartments were solid as a rock and were still perfectly usable well past the fall of the USSR. you wouldn't have any state-directed maintenance anymore, but that's where the community stepped in, keeping the hallways clean even if they couldn't ever quite get the elevators working again

indeed, there were stories of how private gas and electricity companies for a time couldn't actually figure out a way to charge individual households within an apartment complex with a bill for utilities because the complexes just weren't built with the kind of wiring/piping that would allow them to discern individual units from one another

and to bring it back to the US, Dmitry Orlov would write about how in the Soviet Union, you at least actually did have an apartment or a house that you could stay in, well after the government dissolved. In America, once the collapse starts hits you, you won't even have a roof over your head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/drdavidsamadi/status/1461148468580335621

:hmmyes: Great loving way to get more people on board with the vaccine you dipshits.

I assume it has something to do with patents and trade secrets and not the human sacrificed they used to create the vaccine…right?