Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hello I started this game for good.

I was recommended to power-stance maces, so I've been doing just that. It sure fucks up those turtley guys, and those big knights in Heide. I need to parry the smaller knights though.

However, what's a good weapon for dealing with huge swarms of enemies? Power stancing just doesn't feel like it cuts it against huge hollow gank squads. I'm at base dexterity for Knight, FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For powerstancing you need your stats to be 1.5 times the required stats for each weapon your holding and it’ll automatically replace two-handing your RH weapon?

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

For powerstancing you need your stats to be 1.5 times the required stats for each weapon your holding and it’ll automatically replace two-handing your RH weapon?

No, it will replace two-handing your LH weapon though.

Holding Y instead of tapping is the "twohand LH weapon" input by default, but if you meet the powerstance requirements you will go into that instead (you'll notice it because your character angles up his LH weapon a bit to enter a unique stance).

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Phobophilia posted:

However, what's a good weapon for dealing with huge swarms of enemies? Power stancing just doesn't feel like it cuts it against huge hollow gank squads. I'm at base dexterity for Knight, FYI.

Zweihander. Has a weird second heavy attack where you chop 180° away from the first strike, but other than that it's almost as good as it was in DS1.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FishMcCool posted:

That's a net positive at the end of the day, as it makes the Gyrm Great Hammer a pretty solid weapon. And the anvil-on-a-stick is objectively the best weapon design in the entire From Software lineup.

:hai:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I played DS2 on ps3, then got SotFS on pc ages ago and played about 1/2 or 2/3rds of the way through and sort of abandoned it about 3? years ago. I loaded it up and, gently caress! I don't know what I'm doing any more. I don't have enough time in my life to restart, and I remember how loving long this game is.

I'm on Elana, squalid queen, on PC, and I seem to have an STR character with 2 +8 greatswords (I immediately turned one into a +10) and no magic. Adaptability is 28 or so, all other stats are around 5-20 apart from my 50 or so str. I looked at the bonfires/dlc info/etc and it looks like I have only done this one DLC, not the other two which are really the main reason for the replay. My last build was STR too and I seem to remember it's easy to reroll in this. What build should I get to steamroll this game, or is STR that build already? I'm ok at souls games but this build (greatswords especially ) just seems way too slow for Elana. Maybe I need to grind and pump my health and stamina too. I'm level 121 and maybe I should be a higher level than that.

Is there a checklist or something I can use to figure out what I have and haven't done?

edit: I think I was doing a glass cannon build and was ok at it back then and am not after not playing it for 3 years.

edit:
vgr 24
end 20 (lollll)
vit 21
atn 10
str 44
dex 17
adp 26
int 6
fth 6

redreader fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 16, 2021

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
You could probably just swap to a faster strength weapon for the fight, if you find the ultra greatsword animations too long. Maces are great as everyone has been saying, and axes are an option as well.

As far as a checklist, there likely isn't anything major that you missed, but usually one would tackle the DLCs after getting the Ashen Mist Heart in the main story as you need it anyway to unlock some of the DLC parts.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well I've stopped trying to fit this square power stance peg into my round hole. I just don't have the stamina to sustain it. Sure it's alot of damage dumped out very quickly, but it precludes me from rolling.

I've found the Craftman's Hammer, and it has some decent range and arcing horizontal 1-handed R1s. I've also found the Guts Greatsword, so what I'll probably do is: make that thing +6, use that thing 1-handed to deal with trash, and hardswap to the C-Hammer to deal with armored enemies.

Zweihander is way too late game I don't even know where Iron Keep is.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Th greatsword, which is an ultra greatsword, was a great weapon for crowd control. Idk where it drops in SOTFS though.

Edit: oh cool it's in the same spot as the base game, in some metal chest in no man's wharf.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'll save the power-stance shenanigans for late game, or next game cycle, when I actually have the stamina to swing wildly.

Also, (cross)bows seem proportionally way more powerful, not just pulling enemies but also deleting trash mobs placed in awkward positions.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
gently caress me.

Old Dragonslayer, Flexile Sentry, Ruin Sentinels, Belfry Gargoyles deathless.

Skeleton Lords, Pursuer, Rat Vanguard, 1 death.

Executioner's Chariot, like 6 deaths, and another 6 deaths getting ganked outside by the executioner swarm when I either botch the bow pull or I make the stupid decision of running for the fog gate. And like a good 30k souls lost from multiple bloodstains.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just got the Executioner’s Chariot last night. Took me like an hour just to clear off the bridge and kill the invader, now this appears to be another gimmick fight? What’s the trick?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Bust Rodd posted:

I just got the Executioner’s Chariot last night. Took me like an hour just to clear off the bridge and kill the invader, now this appears to be another gimmick fight? What’s the trick?

The main trick: run the gauntlet clockwise, using alcoves to dodge the chariot, until you reach a lever, on the left side, before the pit. Pull lever and wait. The rest should be self-explanatory.

More spoiler in case you are having other issues: The skeletons are summoned by 2 or 3 necromancers hidden in alcoves (the mobs that aren't skeletons basically), so if you kill these, the skellies will stop coming back. It's not required (Alluring Skulls work tremendously well to get rid of skellies), but it helps if you're not super quick about the whole thing.

As far as gimmick fights go, it's one of my favourites. I really dig the design.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The red phantom before the Chariot won't chase you across the bridge. Run for the bridge, and the invader will start backing off and you can cheese them with arrows.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
Alt strategy for the chariot: hide in an alcove and hit it with ranged attacks - spells, arrows, poison projectiles. The chariot should run over the skeletons on the way by, use yearn or alluring skulls to keep them out of your way. Once you do enough damage, the horse thing will fail the jump, and you can knock it into the pit.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
gently caress you I’ll iframe through the wheel spikes and beat the horse to death with a hammer like God and Miyazaki intended.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Phobophilia posted:

gently caress you I’ll iframe through the wheel spikes and beat the horse to death with a hammer like God and Miyazaki intended.

For a second, I was wondering why Hayao Miyazaki, director of My Neighbour Totoro, would care how I played DS2.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

For a second, I was wondering why Hayao Miyazaki, director of My Neighbour Totoro, would care how I played DS2.

Either he doesn't, or none of my letters are getting through.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
I'm doing my first play through of DS2 right now but haven't eaten any boss souls yet (just beat Flexile Sentry). Are there any I should hold onto to transform into items for a strength build? I'm currently using a mace with twin dragon greatshield.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

kynikos posted:

I'm doing my first play through of DS2 right now but haven't eaten any boss souls yet (just beat Flexile Sentry). Are there any I should hold onto to transform into items for a strength build? I'm currently using a mace with twin dragon greatshield.

If you intend to push strength to silly levels, keep the smelter soul, the UGS for it looks smashing. Plus (although spoilery) you can get a second one later in a different colour, and powerstancing those two together is awesome, with a unique explosion of colour particles when you smash some poor sod with them.

Also, the bow from Dragonrider's soul is fantastic. Best strength bow in game iirc.

But DS2 is great for that stuff anyhow: bonfire ascetics mean you can get more of any boss soul on-demand.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Did nobody here do a powerstanced bleed & poisoned whip invader playthrough? Because I did :rms:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m in the process of making a Poison + Dex Rapier build because I heard bleed was bad in DS2.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah I had bleed claws and they almost never procced that I saw, whereas I could see other players freak out at the poison claw buildup and run off to heal or run out the poison timer, and could definitely see it proc a lot more often than the bleed

Poison is very good in 2

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Aidan_702 posted:

Did nobody here do a powerstanced bleed & poisoned whip invader playthrough? Because I did :rms:
I also did that. Owns

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah I had bleed claws and they almost never procced that I saw, whereas I could see other players freak out at the poison claw buildup and run off to heal or run out the poison timer, and could definitely see it proc a lot more often than the bleed

Poison is very good in 2

Poison arrows are pretty much a cheat code.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I feel like too many people overlook bows and they should always be used in every game. Just a utility whose value cannot be overstated. Not saying make primary, but always as your secondary.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Crossbows are real useful too even if bows feel a bit smoother

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I always use bows but I happened to stumble across a heavy crossbow and leaned on it for most of my last run of DS2. Feels more obtuse to use but works for taking care of other troublesome ranged enemies. The loving crossbowmen above the area with the dogs where a pursuer also appear comes to mind.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I prefer crossbows cause you can one hand them.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

SHISHKABOB posted:

I prefer crossbows cause you can one hand them.

Which inevitably leads to powerstanced dual Avelyn.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

FishMcCool posted:

Which inevitably leads to powerstanced dual Avelyn.

:pcgaming:

Orv
May 4, 2011
https://i.imgur.com/7V4CRaU.mp4

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

lets go Mets baby love da mets

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
eggrolled? yep.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

love those little moments u get with a fellow coop phantom in the seconds before disconnect after ur host dies doing soemthing stupid

Orv
May 4, 2011
They actually survived the fall but then fumbled the return and fell again, fatally. :allears:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
That's a sexy half naked cestus build right there.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Fuligin posted:

love those little moments u get with a fellow coop phantom in the seconds before disconnect after ur host dies doing soemthing stupid

alternatively https://i.imgur.com/zuolpZ0.mp4

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I've been playing with the Seeker of Fire mod since I'll use any excuse to play DS2 again. I think I like it more than Augur of Darkness. Weirdly, I liked the ways that Augur mixed up the boss fights more while Seeker's level layout changes are more subtle but do a much better job of feeling more carefully considered. Then it does and does some dumb poo poo like "what if the gank squad boss fight but you do it in the water at the bottom of Shulva and also instead of Havel it's Vanguar, The Royal Rat.

They also made the Old Dragonslayer literally Ornstein and rewrote the soul description so that it says something about how he's "going off to find a friend" or something. Basically I hate everything they did to the bosses, but all the level design changes are cool even if some of them are a little odd. They were very meticulous about not having passages you could only take one way (e.g., that dinky broken ladder you pass when entering Harvest Valley is now replaced with a working ladder...that is itself not terribly useful.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

NG+ just is just kicking my rear end. Every enemy is a damage sponge, and there as rear end in a top hat red phantom enemies all over the place. :negative:

axolotl farmer fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 20, 2021