Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

skylined! posted:

Unless it's changed recently a portion of collected student loans goes to pay for the Affordable Care Act. This is part of the reason they kinda have to resume collection, because they haven't shifted resources to cover the money that student loans cover.

this just pisses me off even more because the health insurance my job offers is absolute horse poo poo that i cannot afford (250 a month with a $6500 deductible), i do not qualify for assistance in buying better, actually useful healthcare because apparently 16.50 an hour is too much for that, and i have $63000 in student loan debt that i get to start repaying in january.

my student loans going towards a program that has done jack loving poo poo to actually fix a healthcare situation that has gotten actively worse in many ways since the aca passed just makes me hate the democrats and this fuckin idiotic insistence on restarting student loan repayments that much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
So I know everyone's supply of "what the loving gently caress, courts?!!?" is likely exhausted from the Rittenhouse stuff, but how is this guy not going to jail after confessing to raping 4 women?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/christopher-belter-mm-rape-victim-probation/

quote:

But Judge Matthew Murphy ruled that "incarceration … isn't appropriate" and Belter would be sentenced to eight years of probation.
"I agonized. I'm not ashamed to say that I actually prayed over what is the appropriate sentence in this case because there was great pain," Murphy said.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Meatball posted:

And why would they ask trump voters why they liked Biden? Does hot like cold?

Better yet, why would you post the results and sincerely say "doesn't look good for Biden"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

So I know everyone's supply of "what the loving gently caress, courts?!!?" is likely exhausted from the Rittenhouse stuff, but how is this guy not going to jail after confessing to raping 4 women?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/christopher-belter-mm-rape-victim-probation/

"But do you REALLY want to ruin his life after he made a few minor incidents?" I believe is the usual line touted out in defense of rapists. Because these people don't think women are actually people, would be my guess.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Fallom posted:

Better yet, why would you post the results and sincerely say "doesn't look good for Biden"

My recollection of the democrats' party's strategy is to punch left and court right. I'd be worried about these numbers if that were my strategy too.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1461682195857293317?t=q6XbdTz72Q1NcvKhahPWBQ&s=19

Curious that Biden is doing this now, after all the protests that he simply can't even start the process of getting rid of DeJoy. If you were going to do it, why wait almost an entire year?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Its gotta be "for cause" so did Bloom gently caress up or humiliate themselves recently?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Its gotta be "for cause" so did Bloom gently caress up or humiliate themselves recently?

For cause the big spending bill sucks so he's gotta do something. Maybe if you can afford to ship a Christmas gift to someone this year it'll arrive on time! America's back, baby!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Fallom posted:

Seems like they were being sarcastic and didn't really believe that Trump voters disapproving was sincerely bad.

Epic High Five posted:

He's not "firing" him because he needs cause to do that.

His term expires on December 9th and Biden has told Bloom that he will not be re-nominating him.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 19, 2021

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

rscott posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1461682195857293317?t=q6XbdTz72Q1NcvKhahPWBQ&s=19

Curious that Biden is doing this now, after all the protests that he simply can't even start the process of getting rid of DeJoy. If you were going to do it, why wait almost an entire year?
You could try reading the first line of the article you linked, where it tells you that Biden isn't renominating the DeJoy ally at the end of his term.

There might be a reason why Biden can't bend the folds of time to make December 8th, 2021 happen earlier in the year.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Randalor posted:

"But do you REALLY want to ruin his life after he made a few minor incidents?" I believe is the usual line touted out in defense of rapists. Because these people don't think women are actually people, would be my guess.

Yeah, a lot of these regressive fucks think that assaulting a woman is still merely property damage.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

How's Biden gonna focus on Presidenting and being on the USPS board at the same time?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

How's Biden gonna focus on Presidenting and being on the USPS board at the same time?

Definitely reads like Biden is senile enough they’re just sending him down to the mail room lmao

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Voting for BBB happening now.

https://live.house.gov/

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Eric Cantonese posted:

David Brooks just made me nauseous again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/18/opinion/biden-infrastructure-stimulus-bill.html

I can't tell if I should be pleasantly surprised that Brooks isn't parroting Reaganomics nonsense or unpleasantly surprised since pleasing people like him is a sign of political disaster.

Why do I do this to myself? I should stay away when I see his picture.

There's enough fuel in that article you shared to blame everyone and not just the centrists. Sounds like a lot of voters would have loved for the bipartisan deal to have passed ASAP, so it does look like the CPC are going to be easy fall guys.

David Brooks must be the loneliest man in America right now. By now his ilk of conservatives must be outnumbered by Never Nudes even.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/11/scary-future-american-right-national-conservatism-conference/620746/

This whole article is him pulling a :yikes: while trying to act like your friendly neighborhood David Brooks.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://twitter.com/Grace_Segers/status/1461531913609523200

And yet, the House - for better or worse - always moves much faster than the Senate and produces legislation more in-line with what the majority caucus wants.

Maybe a legislative body that requires 100 out of 100 people to be friends acting in good faith or else it devolves into an incredibly slow brutal legislative grind is... bad?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Agreed. Abolish the Senate.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Smeef posted:

David Brooks must be the loneliest man in America right now.
at least his daughter can keep him company

oh no

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

I still haven't heard an adequate explanation why DeJoy deliberately trying to destroy the post office and sell it off to competitors isn't cause in the first place.

If I were a factory manager who could only be fired for cause and I went "ok we're going to make the production line run as inefficiently as possible and give sweetheart contracts to the other companies whose boards I'm on, because my friends and I will profit big when this place falls apart ka-ching!" that would seem like cause idk

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

And yet, the House - for better or worse - always moves much faster than the Senate and produces legislation more in-line with what the majority caucus wants.

that's literally the entire point

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

VitalSigns posted:

I still haven't heard an adequate explanation why DeJoy deliberately trying to destroy the post office and sell it off to competitors isn't cause in the first place.

If I were a factory manager who could only be fired for cause and I went "ok we're going to make the production line run as inefficiently as possible and give sweetheart contracts to the other companies whose boards I'm on, because my friends and I will profit big when this place falls apart ka-ching!" that would seem like cause idk

You say that like running businesses into the ground openly and on purpose isn't one of the most profitable and popular things for executives to do.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You say that like running businesses into the ground openly and on purpose isn't one of the most profitable and popular things for executives to do.

But it's against the rules???? How can they just, tank a business like that? Fiduciary duty! THE RULES!!!!!

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

BBB passes the house, with both good (social spending, a modicum of climate provisions) and bad (salt deductions mostly for rich fuckers, left out a lot of good) things. It will go to the senate to be changed to satisfy Sinema and Manchin simultaneously, somehow, hopefully.

1 Democrat, Jared Golden out of Maine, votes no. A centrist, but rejected the SALT giveaways and lack of billionaire tax. No republican voted yes.

https://twitter.com/RepGolden/status/1461641139065339908?s=20

Madison Cawthorn lips a huge wad of dip in the middle of the night.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1461610553370189825?s=20

A lovely rep out of Florida took the floor at the end of voting to vote no on behalf of other reps to grandstand, lol. As someone that grew up in Florida I feel like I know this person very well.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 19, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

It's because only the Postal Board of Governors can remove the Postmaster General, the Postmaster General also has a mandate to fully fund the Post Office without government subsidies, and no court is going to consider "voted to support someone who is meeting the mandate in a way that I don't like" as a criminal act or an abuse of office.

skylined! posted:

Madison Cawthorn lips a huge wad of dip in the middle of the night.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1461610553370189825?s=20

I know Cawthorn is definitely not representative of the average person in his age group, but it still blows my mind that chewing tobacco of all things is making a huge comeback among the youth.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 19, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

ah gently caress you're right

It's because only the Postal Board of Governors can remove the Postmaster General, the Postmaster General also has a mandate to fully fund the Post Office without government subsidies, and no court is going to consider "voted to support someone who is meeting the mandate in a way that I don't like" as a criminal act or an abuse of office.
Corruption and graft aren't an abuse of office anymore? When did that happen??

Do we really have to pretend there's any doubt about what DeJoy is there to do

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 19, 2021

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I know Cawthorn is definitely not representative of the average person in his age group, but it still blows my mind that chewing tobacco of all things is making a huge comeback among the youth.

Dip never went anywhere among southern teens and young men.

Every Silverado in sight has a spitter in the cup holder.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

LeeMajors posted:

Dip never went anywhere among southern teens and young men.

Every Silverado in sight has a spitter in the cup holder.

For real. I spent 15 years working with redneck good ol boys who think dipping as much snuff as possible is a personality trait.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

the_steve posted:

For real. I spent 15 years working with redneck good ol boys who think dipping as much snuff as possible is a personality trait.

Dipping is also still huge in the military, our flight line (aircraft parking area) was always covered in spit from people who dipped, and there was always stray spit bottles laying around. Ugh.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mail has significantly slowed in a lot of places under DeJoy’s new plans, so I don’t see why Biden can’t take action since it’s affecting a lot of Social Security recipients.

But in general I don’t expect much because Biden’s whole deal was ‘nothing will fundamentally change’

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

On this historic day America has a woman president.

https://twitter.com/DaniellaMicaela/status/1461702617789313025?s=20

That poo poo was popular as hell on all my high school baseball teams in the early 2000's, but that was in coastal Florida. It confused the gently caress out of me then, too, but was unsurprised to see it still so prevalent in Tennessee and Georgia as I've moved around.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

ah gently caress you're right

Corruption and graft aren't an abuse of office anymore? When did that happen??

He divested himself of his investments before he took the job, agreed to recuse himself from any votes on the companies he used to be invested in, and the Postal Ethics Board cleared him.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

above all it just seems so performative. it's gum...for grown ups!!!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
BBBA passed the house, fancy that. Fingers crossed it goes through the senate with minimal changes.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

InsertPotPun posted:

It’s very common among the middle class fancy wannabe cowboys near where he grew up.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

It’s very common among the middle class fancy wannabe cowboys near where he grew up.

Ya especially as a "workin' man's" aperitif. Everyone I knew who dipped in Knoxville was a white collar guy wanting a buzz at a bar, and I worked in the service industry.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Grace_Segers/status/1461531913609523200

Maybe a legislative body that requires 100 out of 100 people to be friends acting in good faith or else it devolves into an incredibly slow brutal legislative grind is... bad?

This probably has less to do with working relationships and more to do with the differing political structure of the two chambers. The House's shorter terms, larger headcount, smaller electorates, and shared election years tend to promote more ideological diversity in the chamber and also vastly reduce the chances of having an exact 50-50 split. Those same factors likely also have a lot to do with the difference in working relationships. Additionally, the House doesn't have the filibuster.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

If it helps, I don't think anyone important to the political process in modern America really gives a poo poo about newspaper editorials, if they've ever.

David Brooks was literally Obama’s favorite columnist, got invited to the White House multiple times. But maybe he’s not hitting the threshold for anyone important :rolleyes:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

InsertPotPun posted:

I've worked many a jobs were ya can't stop/there are dangerous conditions that keep you from smoking so everyone just dipped. Got to get that nicotine somehow

Are congress critters allowed to step out for a smoke like a line cook during the lull?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

He divested himself of his investments before he took the job, agreed to recuse himself from any votes on the companies he used to be invested in, and the Postal Ethics Board cleared him.
:ok:
DeJoy maintains financial ties to former company as USPS awards it a new $120 million contract

Washington Post posted:

The U.S. Postal Service will pay $120 million over the next five years to a major logistics contractor that Postmaster General Louis DeJoy previously helped lead and with which his family maintains financial ties
The leases could generate up to $23.7 million in payments for the DeJoy businesses over the next decade

Is your position that you genuinely believe DeJoy is not there to sabotage the Post Office and profit from privatizing it, or are you just bored and being contrarian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I was going to use this meme when the House and Senate passed the $3.5 trillion dollar reconciliation bill but now at $1.9 trillion they do not deserve it

So this is going to be used if Manchin and Sinema sausage the bill further