Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Finger Prince posted:

While I'm dying on this hill, since this is the tell me what bike to buy thread, let's see if I can rephrase this line of thought.
Recommend me a bike.
I'm looking for something fun to ride and fairly light weight. It'll be ridden on pavement only, rain or shine. No dirt or gravel. I tried a DR400SM, but the seat is really uncomfortable after about an hour and they're all really expensive where I am, plus I'm not a fan of dirt bike styling. I don't want anything older than me (I'm 20). I've been riding a MT03 for 3 years and want to try something new.
Must be carbureted.

CBR600FX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Spiggy posted:

Sadly north Dallas. The NT looks like my sort of ugly and matches my use case. I forgot to mention it was the Tenere 700 that I rode; the Super Tenere is definitely too much for a second bike.

E: thanks for the follow-ups Lungboy/FBS. I really want a tracer 7 but it's one of the models that never made it to the US for some reason. The Tiger was on my radar but I seem to remember that Triumph maintenance fees are higher than Japanese brands which I'm skewing to.

Wait wait, you can actually find a T7 for sale in your area?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I'm considering a Suzuki RV200 / vanvan for a daily commuter, and could use some input on the actual practical implications of part availability. This bike apparently has 125cc versions stretching way back in other countries, but this 200cc model was only available in the U.S. from 2017-2019. So 5, 10 years down the road if something breaks, does that generally mean the part is just expensive or 3rd party, or does it sometimes actually lead to an irreparable bike unless I get lucky finding the part used on ebay or something?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Russian Bear posted:

Wait wait, you can actually find a T7 for sale in your area?

I was checking the inventory pretty frequently for a while before deciding against getting one. One would pop up every 3ish weeks but they sell out within a few days.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Remy Marathe posted:

I'm considering a Suzuki RV200 / vanvan for a daily commuter, and could use some input on the actual practical implications of part availability. This bike apparently has 125cc versions stretching way back in other countries, but this 200cc model was only available in the U.S. from 2017-2019. So 5, 10 years down the road if something breaks, does that generally mean the part is just expensive or 3rd party, or does it sometimes actually lead to an irreparable bike unless I get lucky finding the part used on ebay or something?

The VanVan is based on the TW200 platform, so there is likely some parts sharing. Maybe someone here can speak to that, or check the TW200 forums. If parts availability is a concern to you, maybe look at just getting a TW instead. They are a hoot and a holler, ergos are the same, and they're a dead simple bike.
I don't think parts availability is that much of a problem anymore, most recently (last 30 years) produced Japanese bikes aren't prohibitively hard to source parts for, and using ebay as a source is a common thing to every bike on the planet.

Is this a first bike? It's a good choice, but maybe dip into the newbies thread as there is a lot of discussion of this sort of thing there.

edit: Actually, the TW forums are a loving obnoxious place full of cranky boomers. Maybe youtube motovloggers would be a better source.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 19, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PeterCat posted:

Would a new cam shaft be advisable if one were the change from EFI to carb or carbs to EFI?

There's like three layers of abstraction to this which makes it impossible to answer. Best I can do is the two have nothing to do with each other.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The VanVan is based on the TW200 platform, so there is likely some parts sharing. Maybe someone here can speak to that, or check the TW200 forums. If parts availability is a concern to you, maybe look at just getting a TW instead. They are a hoot and a holler, ergos are the same, and they're a dead simple bike.
I don't think parts availability is that much of a problem anymore, most recently (last 30 years) produced Japanese bikes aren't prohibitively hard to source parts for, and using ebay as a source is a common thing to every bike on the planet.

Is this a first bike? It's a good choice, but maybe dip into the newbies thread as there is a lot of discussion of this sort of thing there.

edit: Actually, the TW forums are a loving obnoxious place full of cranky boomers. Maybe youtube motovloggers would be a better source.

Thanks for that, dunno why it didn't cross my mind that they might even use the same parts being the same manufacturer and engine size. I'm a returning rider, but I've been poking around that beginner thread to refresh and remind myself of good habits. My last bike was a '98 Suzuki GS500e, this'd definitely be less bike, but I haven't ridden for 10 years.

I'm not quite sure I need to be worried about parts availability, it's going to be almost entirely a street commuter. I'm hoping to sit on both this weekend, but what has me leaning toward the vanvan is the EFI- my old bike had some quirky behavior surrounding fuel delivery.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Remy Marathe posted:

I'm not quite sure I need to be worried about parts availability, it's going to be almost entirely a street commuter. I'm hoping to sit on both this weekend, but what has me leaning toward the vanvan is the EFI- my old bike had some quirky behavior surrounding fuel delivery.

At the risk of starting the last few pages' stupid debate up again, your GS500 did not have quirky behavior surrounding fuel delivery because it had carbs, but because the carbs were either hosed with or not maintained well. Not implicating you in that. EFI isn't automatically protection from that and if parts availability, aftermarket support, and ease of maintenance are a priority for you, the TW has a vastly bigger user community that makes those things easier than the VanVan, at least where the bikes don't overlap.

Also I'd argue that the TW/VanVan would be more bike, just not in terms of displacement.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think on bikes that crude and simple EFI is a liability, not a benefit.

There is nothing on the vanvan that actually matters that you can't get off of eBay, but it's the same for the tdub.

And they are definitely more bike than a gs500. The only thing the GS brings to the table is (relatively speaking) big power and straight line speed, in every other way it's worse.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

When you say it's more bike than the GS500, are you talking twitchier throttle response, less forgiving shifting, or...? Sorry my words for describing the handling aren't good. Can an RV200 lift its front end on flat ground? I can see weight mattering but I've been assuming these would be tame bikes.

I get that carbs aren't inherently evil, strictly speaking my old bike had fuel delivery issues that made it stall out above highway speeds that a full teardown by me and then 2 separate mechanics failed to diagnose, until one day I stumbled on the fact that moving the petcock to reserve remedied it. My only theory since it was 100% based on real physical speed was that wind speed was making the petcock's vacuum seal fail, reserve forced it open. I'm old and lazy now and would rather my bike either run, or I haul it in for service on the magic electronic box.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

“More bike” as in “better bike,” not “faster bike”

And if you’re not going to be doing the maintenance yourself, what does it matter whether it’s carbs or efi?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 20, 2021

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I think you were right the first time that the internet doesn't need another carb vs EFI discussion. My assumption is that the more modern and costly technology that is increasingly and universally adopted is such for a reason, maybe that's purely environmental, but that puts the burden on "why not EFI". The usual reasons I hear like compatibility with aftermarket mods, the ability to self-service or address issues in the field don't really apply to me. But I take your point on part availability and appreciate the input, and fuel injection doesn't need to be a dealbreaker.

"More bike" to me either means bigger engine or better able to get yourself into trouble with sloppy inputs. I could still see the latter being the case, the GS500 was very mellow.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 20, 2021

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Slavvy posted:

There's like three layers of abstraction to this which makes it impossible to answer. Best I can do is the two have nothing to do with each other.

You're right, after consulting with my wife, and thinking about it a bit more, the cylinder doesn't care what kind of system is mixing the fuel and air.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've had just enough drinks that a new monster suddenly feels like a good idea. Good thing motorcycle dealers aren't open this late.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PeterCat posted:

You're right, after consulting with my wife, and thinking about it a bit more, the cylinder doesn't care what kind of system is mixing the fuel and air.

Correct.

Now, there are some extra things you can do with a fancy camshaft that would essentially require EFI or GDI. Lean-burn tricks that involve adjusting valve timing, for instance, or cylinder deactivation. There's no really good way to do those things if you don't have fine control over exactly where and when the fuel comes in. But in those situations it's a case of a fancy camshaft requiring EFI, not EFI changing your camshaft design. And if you aren't doing tricks like that, the engine doesn't care how it gets its fuel, yep

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

I've had just enough drinks that a new monster suddenly feels like a good idea. Good thing motorcycle dealers aren't open this late.

eBay never sleeps.:twisted:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KillHour posted:

Go ride your mt03 (tomorrow before any alcohol) instead.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone on here ridden, have an opinion on or even heard of the AJP PR7? I'm still trying to decide what dual sport I would like once I have the money. In the UK, DRZs haven't been sold since 2008, so we only have pretty tired used ones around. The CRF300L look good, but maybe a bit small on the engine side. The PR7 looks like a perfect small adventure/dual sport kind of bike, with a heavy offroad bias. This would be to use alongside my SV650. Does anyone have any thoughts? Specs look great but it's a niche Portuguese manufacturer. On the other hand all the componentry including the engine are from known brands, so maybe that's ok?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
The guys that own them seem to love them. The person who runs adventurespec rates his and has a fair bit of YouTube content on it.
The dealers are few and parts are harder to come by than usual.
It will have lower resale value than a better known brand (but cheaper initially than the only direct competitor, the 690)

The crf300l has ubiquitous parts and is 20kg lighter, and will be much more friendly off-road. It's also probably more reliable (not enough data on the pr7) and significantly cheaper.

Depends on your personal experience and what your aims are. Challenging Welsh green lanes and no big road stretches? CRF.
Blasting down to Morocco for some pistes? Pr7 (or t7)

Best answer is to ride both.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Megabook posted:

Has anyone on here ridden, have an opinion on or even heard of the AJP PR7? I'm still trying to decide what dual sport I would like once I have the money. In the UK, DRZs haven't been sold since 2008, so we only have pretty tired used ones around. The CRF300L look good, but maybe a bit small on the engine side. The PR7 looks like a perfect small adventure/dual sport kind of bike, with a heavy offroad bias. This would be to use alongside my SV650. Does anyone have any thoughts? Specs look great but it's a niche Portuguese manufacturer. On the other hand all the componentry including the engine are from known brands, so maybe that's ok?

Light is right.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Megabook posted:

CRF all the way no contest. Especially cause you already have a 'normal' bike for long distance stuff, there is no point in compromising weight and bulk for the sake of stuff your SV does better anyway.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Megabook posted:

In the UK, DRZs haven't been sold since 2008, so we only have pretty tired used ones around.

And they’re exactly the same as a brand new one.
(Owned a UK ‘07 DRZ, and a ‘21 DRZ and they’re indistinguishable aside from surface rust and scratches)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The LC8 in the KTM 990 Adventure is known to be:
A) a maintenance nightmare
B) a solid engine with maybe a little extra TLC required
C) the best engine KTM ever put in a bike
?
If there was one with say 98k kms on the clock, it would be fair to say it is:
A) a survivor that was built right
B) a ticking time bomb with not many seconds left
C) already broken and the PO is hiding something
?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

?
?

First question: B

Second: the answer is always, ALWAYS, C

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

?
?

Yes. The answer is Yes.

(mine has 120k-km or something on it and next to none of the later updates that the 990s got)
(I also killed a klr650 and a 7.3 diesel, I shouldn't have any bearing on what will work for you)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
More seriously, B and C.

Its at the age it'll demand some upkeep. Previous owner upkeep is hit or miss.

Make sure the idle stepper works correctly. start it cold and let it warm up.
history of maintenance would be good. diy-history of maintenance can be 50/50. I bought mine with both exhaust cams off one tooth, one advanced, one retarded courtesy of the po. It made it the 2200km ride home that way.
Everybody bitches about valve checks and oil changes. ditch the crashbars and get the plastic tank skids. buy the oil drain hose. Makes both tasks a good bit easier. Ignore the oil tank and scavange screen until its valve check time. Life is better if you pull the oil tank anyway for the valve check.
I'd recommend replacing all the cooling system stuff if you're in a hot climate for insurance sake, throttle cables too if they're originals.
There's a litany of little annoyances. the 950how covers most of it.

They're solid bikes. I've yet to break mine. Countershaft splines on mine are fucky and wasn't disclosed. I've put 45k-km on it that way. If the bike makes it to 160k-km I'll split cases and scoop a cyrotreated transmission into it. If not, fine I'll do it when it breaks.
It broke a cam chain guide which I replaced all of them just before covid ramped up stateside. That's the deepest I've been into it so far. Engine serial is an '02 production in an '03.5 bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

?
?

Don't do it, you're young, you have so much life still to live

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Are the XSRs pretty much a more retro version of the MT-09 with slightly different power deliveries and seating positions? I tried watching some youtube videos but I hate motovloggers and I almost accidentally clicked on a yammienoob video. One of the few decent ones I saw said the MT-09 is tuned for more power lower down in the RPM range and the XSR is on the upper end, but I don't know if that will hold true for the 2022 XSR900. I honestly hadn't even considered XSRs but I was talking with the service writer of the local bike shop today and he recommended them as potentially being more comfortable than the MT-09 if you're tall. I came home to look them up and it looks like Yamaha just announced the 2022 XSR900 a day ago, which looks A LOT better than the MT-09 SP. The main downside with wanting one is they don't come out until April 2022, which feels like a long way away but will probably fly by. It also doesn't have the Ohlins the SP has but realistically I'll be changing the suspension anyway.

My little sister is bringing me my gloves I ordered six weeks ago (thank you California for insanely stupid laws) so I can finally get on ridershare and start test riding some bikes. It would be kind of fun to just rent a different bike from there every week, but the prices aren't that cheap so it would add up very fast. The guy who has a Hypermotard SP also has a 2019 Panigale V4 so I think when I return the hyper I'll have no option but to rent the Panigale for a bit. Not planning on buying one but it seems like something I should experience.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Watching Yammienoob videos is my secret shame.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

Are the XSRs pretty much a more retro version of the MT-09 with slightly different power deliveries and seating positions? I tried watching some youtube videos but I hate motovloggers and I almost accidentally clicked on a yammienoob video. One of the few decent ones I saw said the MT-09 is tuned for more power lower down in the RPM range and the XSR is on the upper end, but I don't know if that will hold true for the 2022 XSR900.

Having ridden the previous generation of FZ/MT09 and XSR back to back - there's no difference in fuel mapping or handling. The XSR is straight up just a cosmetic package Yamaha charges more for. Highly doubt that changes with the new models

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yup they are identical bikes with different bodywork, exhaust and instrument cluster. And one of them looks incredibly ungainly and stupid, but which one that is depends on who you ask.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I'm still a ways off and I'm in no hurry, but I'm starting to think about what I should get as a step-up bike to replace my CBR250. I've already logged about 2500 miles on it and like it just fine, but I'd like to see what else is out there. I mainly ride around town and on the highway, and most rides are an hour or less. I'm looking for something that's nimble enough around town and won't get blown around so easily on the freeway. I also don't have a personal garage and would rather spend time riding than wrenching, so reliability and low-maintenance are a plus. I don't have a car, so this will be my main mode of transport besides a bicycle. I also intend to ride year-round, even through mid-Atlantic winters.

Bikes I've ridden besides my own:
CRF230
DR200
Moto Guzzi V7
Zero SR/F

Bikes I'm considering:
Duke 390 /Svartpilen 401
Guzzi V7
T100 Bonneville
Trident
CBR500

Yes, I understand that's an eclectic list.

I'n not sure how much of a step-up is warranted 1 year into riding. My insurance is about $500 a year and I'm hoping with one year of riding I could negotiate a comparable rate on a slightly larger bike.

I'm going to see if I can find some of these on Riders Share and to try them out. I'm probably going to buy used and would like to stay below $6k, but open to paying extra for new if it's worthwhile. I do expect to recover some of the cost of my current bike too. Debating whether to trade-in at a dealer or to try to craigslist it.

What other factors do I need to consider? Any other bikes I should have on my radar?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

You want reliability and this is your only motorized transportation so you should buy a Japanese motorcycle.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
If you have the Trident on your list you might as well check out an MT-07.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Don't change bikes at the worst possible time imo.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Are you on the highway commuting?

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Russian Bear posted:

Are you on the highway commuting?

Nah. Mainly heading to various suburbs to meet friends and weekend trips to nearby cities. I work from home, though my office is a 15-minute bicycle ride away. I get groceries on my bike in a backpack, so I may look to a bike that can accommodate cases.

Slavvy posted:

Don't change bikes at the worst possible time imo.

Worst possible time because the bike market is screwy, or worst possible time because I'm still not skilled enough?

Either way, I'm not making any decision anytime soon and my current bike meets my needs -- just not all my wants. I'm keeping an eye on the local used bike market and thinking about bikes to try out. My thought was just that winter might be a good time to find discounts at dealers.

Spiggy posted:

If you have the Trident on your list you might as well check out an MT-07.

I'll add that to my list.

FBS posted:

You want reliability and this is your only motorized transportation so you should buy a Japanese motorcycle.

I figured the answer would be along these lines, but I'm wondering whether a new bike under warranty could offset the reliability concerns with other brands.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

An unreliable machine with a warranty is still broken, you just maybe don't have to pay for the repairs.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Winter holidays is the best time to buy a recreational vehicle, private sellers are hurting for cash, see you have more room to negotiate. Chances are, you can sell it in early spring for a profit. I would recommend cb500x, preferably with ABS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

DRZ-SM