Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Gatts posted:

I was going to use this meme when the House and Senate passed the $3.5 trillion dollar reconciliation bill but now at $1.9 trillion they do not deserve it

So this is going to be used if Manchin and Sinema sausage the bill further

I thought it was down to 1t, of which only about 500b is really new spending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Gatts posted:

I was going to use this meme when the House and Senate passed the $3.5 trillion dollar reconciliation bill but now at $1.9 trillion they do not deserve it

Gowron died a loser though. He had an honorable death, I suppose.

MARTOK 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

How are u posted:

BBBA passed the house, fancy that. Fingers crossed it goes through the senate with minimal changes.

Manchin and Sinema have been waiting for this prime time moment for months.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The NDAA is currently stuck in the Senate because several Senators want changes and are filibustering.

The Senate can't vote on the BBB bill until they pass bills to authorize a continuing resolution to fund the government in order to avoid a shutdown, authorize the 2022 NDAA, and raise the debt ceiling.

The holdout amendments are:

Sanders: An amendment to reduce the total cost of the bill by $25 billion by reducing an annual increase in maintenance and replacement spending.

Rubio: An amendment to ensure that goods made with Uyghur forced labor in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) do not enter the United States.

Daines: An amendment to forbid the distribution of any funds as part of a compensatory payment to migrant families impacted by family separation policies in place between 2018 and 2021.

Toomey: An amendment to penalize foreign countries that fail to limit the flow of illicit fentanyl into the United States.

Risch: An amendment to require the United States State Department to consider the construction of the NORD STREAM 2 pipeline a national security threat.

Cruz: An amendment to reverse the United States State Department's decision to waive sanctions under the Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) and require the United States State Department to implement economic sanctions on all individuals and organizations involved in the completion of the NORD STREAM 2 pipeline.

Sullivan: An amendment to rescind the requirement for all active service military members and contractors to receive the vaccine for the novel coronavirus.

Lankford: An amendment to require the Department of Homeland security to utilize the $2 billion in funds allocated for the construction of a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border that the Department has refused to disburse.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Excited to finally put Manchin Cycle Theory to the test, I hope MCT shows more mettle under experimentation than the Virginia Standard Model

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Kavros posted:

I thought it was down to 1t, of which only about 500b is really new spending

Who the heck knows what the hell is actually happening with any of this. The numbers I hear are 1.9 trillion with a lot of good stuff stripped out.

I think the 1.2 trillion bipartisan bill is the one that only has 500 billion in new spending.

And I never hear the news going “hay they printed $3 trillion to flush down Wall Street and make billionaire richer, maybe that caused inflation?”

I hate the long post timeouts, ugh.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

FizFashizzle posted:

It’s very common among the middle class fancy wannabe cowboys near where he grew up.

Yeah, urban hick wannabes love to dip for some reason. It's also really popular in agriculture work.

Gatts posted:

Gauron memes are always welcome

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I know Cawthorn is definitely not representative of the average person in his age group, but it still blows my mind that chewing tobacco of all things is making a huge comeback among the youth.

That poo poo was everywhere in my suburban high school in Georgia in the 00's. Almost every time I went to the bathroom, the toilets were filled with someone's spit out dip. loving disgusting.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Pakled posted:

That poo poo was everywhere in my suburban high school in Georgia in the 00's. Almost every time I went to the bathroom, the toilets were filled with someone's spit out dip. loving disgusting.
https://youtu.be/xuDA5i8ax9U

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Didnt Donnie refuse anesthesia because he didnt want Pence to get power on paper for even the hour or so?

Also cant wait till Fox News does the toxic male thing with this.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Pakled posted:

I'm gonna feel so loving owned when a bunch of young chuds start dropping like flies from mouth cancer

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

Didnt Donnie refuse anesthesia because he didnt want Pence to get power on paper for even the hour or so?

Also cant wait till Fox News does the toxic male thing with this.

I thought he just refused to sign the more formal paperwork.

EDIT: I cannot get my head around the idea of Trump ever voluntarily taking the more painful path.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 19, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

:ok:
DeJoy maintains financial ties to former company as USPS awards it a new $120 million contract

Is your position that you genuinely believe DeJoy is not there to sabotage the Post Office and profit from privatizing it, or are you just bored and being contrarian

No, I'm just explaining why he was cleared by the ethics board.

They required him to divest of all his stock holdings in those companies, but they don't consider his relatives receiving rent from leasing a building to be a personal investment because a lease means they get paid regardless of the performance of the company and he agreed to recuse himself from voting on any decision involving those companies.

He was initially held up from being nominated because of those conflicts and those changes were what he had to do in order to get cleared.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I didn't want the true oral history of america to include "our first woman president so a septuagenarian can have a tube put up his butt"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kavros posted:

I didn't want the true oral history of america to include "our first woman president so a septuagenarian can have a tube put up his butt"

The first black president was a caretaker between the fascists he enabled, you're already in the evil genie timeline.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I also saw Klain on Twitter saying that BBB will cap insulin payments at something like $35/month. Is this accurate and if so, what is the mechanism?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kavros posted:

Everybody needs to get an annual tube up the butt if you're over 40.

It happened with Trump, Obama, and Bush as well.

Obama actually had a digital CT scan for 7 out of 8 years that didn't require the butt tube or anesthesia, so I'm not sure why people don't use that.

Smiling Knight posted:

I also saw Klain on Twitter saying that BBB will cap insulin payments at something like $35/month. Is this accurate and if so, what is the mechanism?

It does. It just requires insurance and pharmacies to not have a cost higher than $35 per 30-day supply for the end user.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 19, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No, I'm just explaining why he was cleared by the ethics board.

They required him to divest of all his stock holdings in those companies, but they don't consider his relatives receiving rent from leasing a building to be a personal investment because a lease means they get paid regardless of the performance of the company and he agreed to recuse himself from voting on any decision involving those companies.

He was initially held up from being nominated because of those conflicts and those changes were what he had to do in order to get cleared.
Ok but so what.

If you agree he's abusing his office to at minimum get some graft going anyway, then "well he argued a loophole into existence so he could do it slyly" doesn't matter. That may be why he's getting away with it now, but that doesn't mean you don't have an argument for firing him for it. Or for the hundreds of other things he's doing to sabotage the USPS on purpose.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 19, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kavros posted:

It still counts

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/kerryeleveld/status/1461725393954635777

Nice to hear journalists called out on them just acting like their job is to throw Republican talking points at the Dems.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah, urban hick wannabes love to dip for some reason. It's also really popular in agriculture work.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What is NORD STREAM 2 and why are senate republicans so mad about it?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Thom12255 posted:

https://twitter.com/kerryeleveld/status/1461725393954635777

Nice to hear journalists called out on them just acting like their job is to throw Republican talking points at the Dems.

lol that the dailykos writer thinks Pelosi's unintelligible "Let's just not present what the Republicans say as any fact that you're predicating a question on. I mean, understand what's happening around here, okay?" is some sort of superslam.

Let's run it in an ad!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

Ok but so what.

You asked why he wasn't being charged with graft/abuse of power and how the ethics board cleared him.

That is why.

haveblue posted:

It's a Russian gas pipeline that goes into Europe to transfer natural gas from Russia to the E.U.

It's controversial because it curves up and around Ukraine to keep them dependent on pipelines that Russia directly controls and separate from the E.U. supply line. It also gives Russia a degree of economic leverage over the countries in the eastern part of the E.U.

In 2017 they passed a law that mandated sanctions for companies and individuals that threaten U.S. security. But, the State Department has the ability to waive them (so, it is a very soft "mandate").

The State Department has elected to waive them in this case and Republicans want them to be mandated.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 19, 2021

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

haveblue posted:

Gas pipeline running from Russia to Eastern Europe; no idea. It is a relatively big political issue in Europe but not sure why US senators care.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Probably because it places the EU at Russia's mercy via gas prices and supply in the same way that we're at the mercy of OPEC, so the fear is that the EU will be unable to align with US geopolitical goals in Europe, especially around Ukraine and Russia.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You asked why he wasn't being charged with graft/abuse of power and how the ethics board cleared him.

That is why.

No I did not, I said I hadn't heard a good explanation why he can't be fired for cause for grafting and sabotaging the company, you moved the goalposts to criminal charges.

I am well aware of the legalistic mechanisms politicians created make crime basically legal see also the Raytheon exec we have as Secretary of Defense

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I thought regressive loved Russia though.

e : Also I remember listening to a NPR piece about how even hydrocarbon puppets are saying that Putin should try to sow some non carbon seeds for Russia's future energy indusrty, but lol he doesnt care what happens the nanosecond he dies.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 19, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PhazonLink posted:

I thought regressive loved Russia though.

e : Also I remember listening to a NPR piece about how even hydrocarbon puppets are saying that Putin should try to sow some non carbon seeds for Russia's future energy indusrty, but lol he doesnt care what happens the nanosecond he dies.

Haha yeah Putin is going to die with a smile on his face and 100% carefree. The guy is a megalomaniac.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Josh Hawley is now filibustering the NDAA as well unless they vote on his amendment to remove the provision requiring women to be included in selected service/the draft.

That one will probably not hold things up, though. There seem to be a few Republicans that support it and a lot of them that don't care one way or the other - and definitely don't care enough to jeopardize a bunch of money going to their local military bases, jeep production plants, and airplane engine assembly lines.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Enlightening story on how restoring the SALT deduction is tilted toward the super-rich:

quote:

Pushed by lawmakers from high-tax states, House Democrats are proposing to increase the state and local tax (SALT) deduction to $80,000 through 2026, up from the current level of $10,000. Doing so would provide a tax cut worth about $285 billion over the next five years, with almost all of the benefits flowing to the top 10% of households.

If passed, the tax break would be the second most costly provision in the bill, trailing only the establishment of universal pre-K and affordable child-care programs, which would cost $390 billion over five years. It would cost more than paid family and medical leave ($195 billion over five years), clean energy and electricity tax credits ($190 billion over five years) and the extension of the expanded child tax credit for one year ($130 billion).

Who would get a break: According to an analysis by the Tax Policy Center, the bottom 80% of taxpayers would receive very little benefit from the SALT cap increase, less than $100 on average, with nothing at all for the bottom 40%. Savings get more substantial at the top of the income ladder, hitting nearly $15,000 per year for the top 1% (those with incomes over $867,000).

The size of the benefits relative to other provisions in the bill is quite uneven, as well. According to an analysis by the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, a household in Washington, D.C., with an annual income of $1 million would get about 10 times the benefit from the SALT cap increase as a middle-class family of four would receive from the expansion of the child tax credit.

Howard Gleckman of TPC says it’s inevitable that high-income households will benefit from an increase in the SALT deduction cap. “Anything you do to eliminate the SALT cap is going to be regressive, because that tax is overwhelmingly paid by very high-income people,” Gleckman told The Washington Post. “Anything you do to lower that tax doesn’t matter for most people.”

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Sounds like you're feeling pretty... SALTy about it. :smuggo:

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
The SALT must flow

Am I the first one on that?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

Sounds like you're feeling pretty... SALTy about it. :smuggo:

superjew posted:

The SALT must flow

Am I the first one on that?

I prefer "rubbing SALT in the wound" because it's both descriptive + figuratively accurate.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VitalSigns posted:

No I did not, I said I hadn't heard a good explanation why he can't be fired for cause for grafting and sabotaging the company, you moved the goalposts to criminal charges.

I am well aware of the legalistic mechanisms politicians created make crime basically legal see also the Raytheon exec we have as Secretary of Defense

VitalSigns posted:

Ok but so what.

Do you ever stop before you post and think "what am I actually arguing about"? Because I feel like it would save you a lot of wear and tear on the old typing fingers.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Josh Hawley is now filibustering the NDAA as well unless they vote on his amendment to remove the provision requiring women to be included in selected service/the draft.

That one will probably not hold things up, though. There seem to be a few Republicans that support it and a lot of them that don't care one way or the other - and definitely don't care enough to jeopardize a bunch of money going to their local military bases, jeep production plants, and airplane engine assembly lines.

Why does Josh Hawley not support ARE TROOPS?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

Do you ever stop before you post and think "what am I actually arguing about"? Because I feel like it would save you a lot of wear and tear on the old typing fingers.
What.

Could you elaborate why you think quoting those two posts is some kind of own?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Look at this p'takh with no honor, can't even spell Gowron correctly. You dishonor your house.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

It does. It just requires insurance and pharmacies to not have a cost higher than $35 per 30-day supply for the end user.

yeah, i'm gonna make a lil bit of an effort post here since, you know, there's like eight empty insulin pens on my desk in front of me

basically, type 1 diabetics take a basal or once-a-day insulin, and also a short acting insulin before meals. the list price of the short-acting one i take is humalog, at a cool list price of $530.40. the long lasting one i take [strike]is[/strike] as of a letter i got a week ago that gave me a heart attack because it ain't covered anymore, is lantus. lantus's list price is $491.16, but apparently mylar created Literally The Same Thing As Lantus To The Point You Can Freely Switch and it was approved by the FDA a few months ago, and that insulin''s cost is a cool $150.40. a box of each lasts me about a month.

are those numbers terrifying? no poo poo. do the non-american diabetics go "wow that's hosed up i get my humalog piped directly in from my tap"? of course. does everybody pay that horrific price? more often than you think, and this is bad. there are indeed cards you sign up for that if you have no insurance or commercial insurance you get a capped rate of, in the humalog's case, $35/mo and you just need to fill out annual paperwork to refill the card. those prices are still horrific, especially considering 90% of the cost is to pay for some rear end in a top hat lobbyist's golf trip with a congressperson to make sure their three-company monopoly stays intact.

so yes, rooting for that $35/mo insulin thing to remain intact. like, a lot.

Craig K fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Is the government subsidizing the difference in pricing or actually regulating what the manufacturer is allowed to charge?