Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

Zarin posted:

So far, I've smoked:
• Boston Butt
• Spare Ribs
• Cheese

My wife wants to try some smoked veggies this weekend. I think we're going to do pulled pork for Thanksgiving (not my first choice heh, but it's what my dad wanted) . . .

So for this weekend, I'm not sure what to go with. I guess brisket is also popular, but I'm under the impression that it's pretty difficult to get right. What else is pretty easy/produces excellent results for the beginner?

Decent brisket is hard to find where I live so I smoke chuck roasts instead. It's way more forgiving if my understanding is correct and doesn't take as long. It's also loving delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Trastion posted:

I got a full packer brisket from Costco ($80...) and will be smoking it for Thanksgiving. I am thinking of starting it about 6pm Wed night. We are leaving at 2pm so that gives me about 20 hours. And I can always cooler it if it gets done early.

I am not sure how many pounds it is and can't look as I am at work.

Wife said they wanted me to smoke a turkey again but I could do brisket if I wanted... They are also doing a small deep fried turkey so brisket it is! Besides I need the leftovers for some Chili!

2hrs an LB is probably a good estimate for a Brisket, and yes you can always cooler it and it'll hold heat.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

pork butt and peeled knuckle acquired!

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Zarin posted:

So far, I've smoked:
• Boston Butt
• Spare Ribs
• Cheese

My wife wants to try some smoked veggies this weekend. I think we're going to do pulled pork for Thanksgiving (not my first choice heh, but it's what my dad wanted) . . .

So for this weekend, I'm not sure what to go with. I guess brisket is also popular, but I'm under the impression that it's pretty difficult to get right. What else is pretty easy/produces excellent results for the beginner?

Almost every time I run the smoker for something else, I throw a head of garlic in for a few hours. Smoked garlic and cheddar mashed potatoes are delicious, and take almost no additional effort over regular mashed potatoes if the smoker is already lit.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Cthulhumatic posted:

Decent brisket is hard to find where I live so I smoke chuck roasts instead. It's way more forgiving if my understanding is correct and doesn't take as long. It's also loving delicious.

A well marbled chuck is nearly good as a brisket point.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I like chuck smoked with a pastrami rub more than I like any of the actual pastramis I've done, for that matter. It's real good.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Gwaihir posted:

I like chuck smoked with a pastrami rub more than I like any of the actual pastramis I've done, for that matter. It's real good.

Are you skipping the curing/brining process and simply smoking with a black pepper and coriander based rub?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Cthulhumatic posted:

The Mad Scientist BBQ guy did a video about chuck roasts as an alternative to crazy brisket prices and I've wanted to try it since.

Still working our way through the $200 of Ribeye I got at Costco first though lol

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Random Hero posted:

Are you skipping the curing/brining process and simply smoking with a black pepper and coriander based rub?

Yeah, I just used Meathead's pastrami rub recipe on the Chuck and went to town.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

sinburger posted:

Brisket isn't that hard to cook, but you really need to start it the day before because it takes a long rear end time. Your can rest a brisket in a cooler for a couple hours, or wrapped in butcher paper in your oven on a keep warm setting for longer.

I've started my briskets around 7 or 8 am, pulled them around 12-2 am the next day, then rested in an oven for 12 or more hours depending on whether I'm serving up lunch or dinner.

Welp, you talked me into it! :v:

Chad Sexington posted:

The Mad Scientist BBQ guy did a video about chuck roasts as an alternative to crazy brisket prices and I've wanted to try it since.

Still working our way through the $200 of Ribeye I got at Costco first though lol

Cthulhumatic posted:

I was gonna get some chuck roast, but it was almost $6/lb and brisket was just over $4/lb, so I went with the brisket instead. I'm probably gonna have to break it in half to fit it in the MES30 though.

Is $4/lb an okay price for brisket? That's about what I recall it being since I've started paying attention to meat prices, but I dunno.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Chad Sexington posted:

Chicken for sure. Spatchcock a small one or do thighs. Short and hot so you get crispy skin too.

Pork belly is really easy too and amazing. I think I'm going to do some belly I have in the freezer and then wings again.

Jealous! My Sam's doesn't stock pork belly <:mad:>

Costco does, but their prices were so much higher on everything than Sam's that I ended up going with Sam's instead. My brother has a Costco membership, though. Even though he lives in NC, I could maybe pretend to be him once every few months . . .

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah, I just used Meathead's pastrami rub recipe on the Chuck and went to town.

Thanks! I'll have to try this out. I've done a few pastramis and love it but it takes some time.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I've done chuck as burnt ends. It was similar. Was it good, hell yeah. Was it the same as using the point from a brisket no. Good alternative if you can't find or don't have it and are under the gun.

This is kind of what I followed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHLTtExMzr4

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

For shorter smokes (< 2 hours) I also like to do sausages (like brats or hot italian) and chicken thighs. I make large batches of either and turn leftovers into appetizers (sausage / cheese / crackers) or chicken soup.

Can you just throw Johnsonville Brats in there or something and have them turn out well?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Trastion posted:

Get yourself a AMAZEN tube/maze and don't use the MES chip thing at all. One tube/maze will last your whole cook.

Yeah, after I saw how much smoke the tube generated for my cold smoke, and for how long it ran, I was considering trying it with a hot smoke just to see what happens. Glad to hear that at least one person says it works well. One thing I do wonder is that the Mad Scientist BBQ guy always talks about clean smoke, thin smoke, etc. etc. etc. and it does seem like the MES produces thicker smoke than he talks about.

Maybe it's not an issue though because he's using an offset, and pellets/chips are kinda a different animal maybe?

Internet Explorer posted:

For my MES, I put in as many woodchips as I can in the beginning, then if I'm feeling spicy I'll put in some more ~2 hours into the cook. That's about it. I make sure not to preheat before I put anything in. Works great for me, minimal babysitting.

Do you pull out the chip tray and just load it full, or are you talking about loading the loader as full as you can? Or are you talking about just using the "half cup" or whatever that's recommended when you put in as many as you can?

I have been preheating it, but I'm wondering now if there is a point to that. Hmm . . .

Edit: Sorry for all the posts, I'm done now. That's what I get for not checking the forums for a few days.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I used to only use the loader, but lately I've been just loading the tray up for the first batch and I haven't had any problems. I'd suggest not preheating, gets you a lot of smoke early on when the meat is cold and it absorbs it the most. Not preheating was pretty much necessary on lower temp smokes like salmon.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Zarin posted:

I was gonna get some chuck roast, but it was almost $6/lb and brisket was just over $4/lb, so I went with the brisket instead. I'm probably gonna have to break it in half to fit it in the MES30 though.

Is $4/lb an okay price for brisket? That's about what I recall it being since I've started paying attention to meat prices, but I dunno.

Meat prices are entirely regionally based. Vendors (meatpackers) can and will ship anything anywhere to make more $.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Chuck roast has been very hit-or-miss for me. I think I need to just wrap in foil to get more of a braise at the end. Usually ends up dry and a little tough by the time a probe slides through without resistance.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Zarin posted:

Welp, you talked me into it! :v:

Consider the cost of the fat trimmed off a brisket when making that comparison.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hasselblad posted:

Consider the cost of the fat trimmed off a brisket when making that comparison.

I was thinking about that! I've never trimmed a brisket before, so maybe I'll see about weighing what I cut off and do some math tomorrow :v:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Don't toss the trimmings either, render that stuff down for some delicious beef tallow.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Zarin posted:

$4 a lb is good for current meat prices but pre-pandemic they would have them in my area at $3 a pound.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

We live.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

You should be shamed for not calling them left cheek and right cheek.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Thinking about starting my brisket this afternoon/evening. The basic process in my head is somewhat similar to how I've been figuring out how to do pork butt:
- Smoke for 5-6 hours
- Wrap
- Come up to ~203F (I'm figuring this will take up to 8 hours? Plan is do this overnight and use my thermometer as an alarm)
- Rest (minimum 1 hour, longer is better, I can cheat with my oven if needed since it can apparently hold as low as 170)
- Unwrap and serve

Does this look correct? I'm not certain if 5-6 hours under smoke is long enough for a brisket, or if it will want more time to get a good bark. I'm also interested in thoughts on letting it go overnight after wrapping.

I figure with this plan, I could have it for either lunch or aim for an early dinner tomorrow, depending.

Other thought: When trimming the brisket, would the meat trimmings be good as-is to just toss into a chili? I know that I'll probably want some of the smoked meat added to the chili as well, but I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the meaty bits that are gonna come off of it. The fat will be added to a baking dish and placed in the smoker with the brisket to render down.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zarin posted:

Thinking about starting my brisket this afternoon/evening. The basic process in my head is somewhat similar to how I've been figuring out how to do pork butt:
- Smoke for 5-6 hours
- Wrap
- Come up to ~203F (I'm figuring this will take up to 8 hours? Plan is do this overnight and use my thermometer as an alarm)
- Rest (minimum 1 hour, longer is better, I can cheat with my oven if needed since it can apparently hold as low as 170)
- Unwrap and serve

Does this look correct? I'm not certain if 5-6 hours under smoke is long enough for a brisket, or if it will want more time to get a good bark. I'm also interested in thoughts on letting it go overnight after wrapping.

I figure with this plan, I could have it for either lunch or aim for an early dinner tomorrow, depending.

Other thought: When trimming the brisket, would the meat trimmings be good as-is to just toss into a chili? I know that I'll probably want some of the smoked meat added to the chili as well, but I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the meaty bits that are gonna come off of it. The fat will be added to a baking dish and placed in the smoker with the brisket to render down.

I think that will work fine. Wrapping with butcher paper will make for softer bark, but you can unwrap again at the end to crisp it up if you want.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

how big is your brisket?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

tater_salad posted:

how big is your brisket?

Untrimmed, it's pretty hefty - 17 lbs I think. I'm gonna have to cut it in half (probably split it into flat/point) to fit it in the MES. Unfortunate, but should give me a bit better control over temps on each side maybe, I dunno.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah so I'd assume about 17ish (8.5-2) hours and maybe pad it a little more because it'll stay in a cooler wrapped in a towel pretty well, but it can't cook quicker

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

tater_salad posted:

yeah so I'd assume about 17ish (8.5-2) hours and maybe pad it a little more because it'll stay in a cooler wrapped in a towel pretty well, but it can't cook quicker

Yeah, certainly not in any hurry for this. I don't have guests coming or anything, it's just for the family / for fun.

Does the 5-6 hour smoke time up front sound about right, or is that really too short for brisket and it's going to need more time before wrapping? I think I'm going to go primarily by color, but figure I'd ask for planning purposes. I don't have any reason to need to be to sleep early so I don't care if it runs long; just figured I'd ask.

Also, this will be my first time trying a hot smoke with a pellet tube in the MES, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

Edit: once I wrap, I may put it in the oven inside if that holds temp well (good reminder for me to go test that right now). This'll be a bit of a test run for this process for the pork butts I'm doing for Thanksgiving (smoke in the afternoon/evening, wrap, put in the oven overnight while I sleep through the stall, wake up when it hits temp and then let it rest/hold it around 145 until serving time). So far most everything I've smoked seems to only get better the longer it rests/holds, so I'm really starting to dig this cooking method. Even moreso than sous vide/final sear, which is saying something.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 19, 2021

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Zarin posted:

- Smoke for 5-6 hours
- Wrap
- Unwrap and serve

Are you on a schedule for having it ready? I'm a fan of the Mad Scientist BBQ guys method, where you don't wrap after a specific time or temp. You instead check how your fat is rendering, your bark, how much moisture has evaporated etc.

Basically get the brisket where you want it, then wrap to finish getting it to temp.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

sinburger posted:

Are you on a schedule for having it ready? I'm a fan of the Mad Scientist BBQ guys method, where you don't wrap after a specific time or temp. You instead check how your fat is rendering, your bark, how much moisture has evaporated etc.

Basically get the brisket where you want it, then wrap to finish getting it to temp.

Yeah, that's the plan! No specific timetable. Just curious if I budgeted enough time in the first leg of the journey, or if I'm supremely underestimating the time pre-wrap.

And/or if I'm off on how much time post-wrap (and therefore off on how much sleep I'm going to be getting haha)

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I don't know why I didn't check for a smoking thread until now. I only started back in August and I'm loving it; this is one of the things I was looking forward to the most about getting a house.

I just did a batch of wings tonight:

I've done so many wings, I'm getting really good at those. I've also done two briskets and a few racks of ribs. I probably shouldn't be eating this much meat but I've been looking forward to this for so long and just want to keep learning and improving as fast as I can. My excuse was it also helped a lot to cook outside instead of heating things up inside.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sooooo, smoking turkey for thanksgiving-recommendations?

I bought a 12 pounder for the three of us. Just trying to figure out the best way besides cooking it in the oven.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

nwin posted:

I bought a 12 pounder for the three of us. Just trying to figure out the best way besides cooking it in the oven.

I've done mine indirect on my Weber kettle for years. But this year I'm going to use the WSM and go full smoke versus indirect. Looking forward to it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just make sure you spatchcock.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

nwin posted:

Spatchcock, 2 day dry brine, if you do a rub then make sure your temp doesn't hit 350+ so it won't char. It'll probably be done a lot quicker than you'd think. Turkey doesn't need a low 225 long smoke like brisket chuck or shoulder do.

Pre chopping it in to portions is also a thing to make it super foolproof, that way you can pull breasts at the right temp while the thighs are still cooking, etc. That's not totally necessary, but it can make things a lot easier to nail temp wise.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Gwaihir posted:

Spatchcock, 2 day dry brine, if you do a rub then make sure your temp doesn't hit 350+ so it won't char. It'll probably be done a lot quicker than you'd think. Turkey doesn't need a low 225 long smoke like brisket chuck or shoulder do.

Pre chopping it in to portions is also a thing to make it super foolproof, that way you can pull breasts at the right temp while the thighs are still cooking, etc. That's not totally necessary, but it can make things a lot easier to nail temp wise.

I don't have any skin in this game here because I'm not doing a bird this year, but is turkey one of the things you want to eat fresh off the smoker, or does it also benefit/can tolerate a rest period? Especially I guess this question is for breast/etc. that would get pulled off early.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Brisket update: I fell asleep like a dumbass towards the middle/end of the first smoke tube (started it up around 5ish pm?). Woke up at 4am (somehow the smoke tube hadn't entirely gone out!? there was still a glowing bit) and internals were about 150; the outside looked dry though, so instead of firing up a second smoke tube I decided to just lay out some butcher paper, coated the brisket in smoked oil, wrapped it and placed it in the oven at 225. Oven seems to be holding pretty steady at just under 220 so that's a good sign I think.

Hopefully I haven't ruined everything forever, but if it turns out dry/inedible/sad then at least I will have learned something for later. Maybe. Worst case, it ends up in chilli or some sorta stir fry or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Two questions.

Has anyone bought Goldwyns cook book? I basically want a paper copy of Amazing Ribs since nothing on the internet is permanent.

Is there an easier way to demold a WSM than hitting it with a pressure washer and scrub? I definitely don't have the money to use it often enough to keep it clean and seasoned.