Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

ghostinmyshell posted:

Well good thing is done, now I can go visit the Cowboy Bebop thread and continue my hate watching there.

I won't be doing that i need a break. I need a good show instead, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
So was Hari behind the starbridge bombing then?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

also the end lmao There is no way Hardin would not have drowned

on TV, everyone submerged deep underwater without scuba gear can always make it to the surface safe and sound with neither oxygen deprivation brain damage nor bends, no matter how deep, because that'd be a really anticlimactic way to die compared to an arrow through the neck or pew pew laser blast fire and looking down at a hole in your stomach before falling over

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GodFish posted:

thespin barbarians can't melt big beautiful space elevator beams..

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Google Butt posted:

I won't be doing that i need a break. I need a good show instead, thank you

Might I recommend Wheel of Time, which turned out to be pretty good against all expectations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Might I recommend Wheel of Time, which turned out to be pretty good against all expectations.

So it ended up not stinking?

the trailers didn't hook me and haven't read the book series in 20 years

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

etalian posted:

I binged all 3 episodes and had plenty of "oooohs and ahhhs". While i'm not ready to say it's an all time great or something, I certainly enjoyed it and am eager for more.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

David Goyer's DUNE

Paul Atreides, a young orphan growing up on the streets and gutters of planet Caladan, escapes his latest run in with police by hiding away on a transport headed to the great water world of DUNE, where an addictive narcotic known as spice is harvested and fortunes can be made. There, a chance encounter has him saving the young princess Harkonen's life, as the two fall madly in love. The evil King Harkonen kidnaps Paul, and has his fearsome head assassin, John Sardaukar dump him on the other side of the great world spanning ocean that is DUNE, left for dead. Before succumbing Paul is rescued by a native race of mermen known as the FREMEN, who teach Paul their 'Weirding way', a technique of forming a psychic link with the teaming sea life of dune, to command them. The Fremen people discover the evil Harkonen king has developed a super weapon, capable of destroying the great worms of dune; actually vast colonies of tiny bioluminesent creatures, that travel in tube like colonies kilometers long, because they feed off the spice the humans are trying to harvest. Paul must summon everything he's learned to lead the Fremen mer-people in battle against the forces of the King, to save the worms which are sacred to the Fremen, and reunite with his love, the princess Harkonen.

Coming this summer!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
A fire on a straw roof seems smart, but hey it survived all the flooding so it must be good!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

etalian posted:

anything is good compared to this

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
I can forgive a lot of bad writing and direction but this insistence on protagonists that are incapable of other emotions than sad or mad is really what deflates it for me. If you want me to root for them you have to make them likable which means that occasionally they have to smile or laugh or crack a joke or fall on their rear end or just in some way interact with others so we get a sense of them as relatable human beings.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

For a show called the Foundation, I feel like the, uh, actual foundation had no relevance to the story. The Terminus scenes were a backdrop for Salvor to kick butt, but the Foundation as an organization and characters didn't really do anything to move the plot along. It seemed to me like they were just there to be held hostage and watch while the season unfolded around them. Even the Terminus scenes in this last episode the focus was more about Anacreon and Thespis learning to play nice while the Foundation whose planet they invaded was just kind of....there. Not a book reader so I don't know if it was any different?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arrinien posted:

Not a book reader so I don't know if it was any different?

I am doing my best to not be hyperbolic here.

As far as I can tell, the only things this show took from the book was the names of some of the characters, and some of the places.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Watched this and yeah this is someone’s bad sci fi with Asimov characters shoe horned in. I agree that season 2 will be the war between the Foundation and Empire because pew pew spade battles.

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

Tom Guycot posted:

David Goyer's DUNE

Paul Atreides, a young orphan growing up on the streets and gutters of planet Caladan, escapes his latest run in with police by hiding away on a transport headed to the great water world of DUNE, where an addictive narcotic known as spice is harvested and fortunes can be made. There, a chance encounter has him saving the young princess Harkonen's life, as the two fall madly in love. The evil King Harkonen kidnaps Paul, and has his fearsome head assassin, John Sardaukar dump him on the other side of the great world spanning ocean that is DUNE, left for dead. Before succumbing Paul is rescued by a native race of mermen known as the FREMEN, who teach Paul their 'Weirding way', a technique of forming a psychic link with the teaming sea life of dune, to command them. The Fremen people discover the evil Harkonen king has developed a super weapon, capable of destroying the great worms of dune; actually vast colonies of tiny bioluminesent creatures, that travel in tube like colonies kilometers long, because they feed off the spice the humans are trying to harvest. Paul must summon everything he's learned to lead the Fremen mer-people in battle against the forces of the King, to save the worms which are sacred to the Fremen, and reunite with his love, the princess Harkonen.

Coming this summer!

correct

when salvor started talking essentially about genetic memory that's when I knew in my heart it was all hosed

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

CainFortea posted:

I am doing my best to not be hyperbolic here.

As far as I can tell, the only things this show took from the book was the names of some of the characters, and some of the places.

hold up there, they used the name of the book too

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

GodFish posted:

I guessed that he was back in episode 1 when Gaal called him a murderer in VoiceOver but the show forgot about that so I stopped chasing the thread.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tom Guycot posted:

David Goyer's DUNE

Coming this summer!
SOMEONE SEND THIS TO A PRODUCER NOW! They probably would cancel part2 of Dune and just remake this.

I haven't seen the last ep yet but should I bother? Is it even so dumb it's entertaining? Poor Azimov. Can't we just leave him alone unless Villeneuve has an interest? Or Panos Cosmatos for the possibly insane take on it. I'm now picturing Nick Cage from Mandy doing the role of Hari Seldon and that would have been amazing.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

DogsInSpace! posted:

I haven't seen the last ep yet but should I bother? Is it even so dumb it's entertaining? Poor Azimov. Can't we just leave him alone unless Villeneuve has an interest? Or Panos Cosmatos for the possibly insane take on it. I'm now picturing Nick Cage from Mandy doing the role of Hari Seldon and that would have been amazing.

There's one good scene in the episode, which is Lee Pace talking to gardener-assassin lady.

Unfortunately with the rest of the episode, the more you think about it, the more it falls apart. This is applicable to pretty much every aspect of the writing, whether it's plot points, characterisation, dialogue... It's actually impressive how they've managed to maintain such a consistent level of stupid.

Throughout the entire season, none of the different story threads had any impact or interaction with each other... at all. Empire goes on a journey then comes back and makes a different decision then he might have otherwise have made, but is ignored. And Dusk sends a ship out and never checks up on it, and the only interaction that ship has is someone is able to open a door.

Those are the only two examples I can think of where the plots interact. Deviant Dawn, Gaal, the Foundation, chicken walk, none of these stories get anywhere near each other. Gaaal spends the second half of the season floating around in ships and crying, and ends up dead from exposure on an ocean planet lighting a magic fire of hope on a planet the size of a single village.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

DogsInSpace! posted:

SOMEONE SEND THIS TO A PRODUCER NOW! They probably would cancel part2 of Dune and just remake this.

not going to lie, I was disappointed it wasn't as bad as the previous episode.

I mean, it's far from good, but not bad enough to thoroughly enjoy a good hate-watch.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:shrug:
I liked the final episode. No action battles, Hari going on about how he calculated everything and two time skips. This is the kind of content I was looking for in a Foundation show.

Obviously there was still lovely romance plots and Salvor Harden stealing a valuable spaceship from a desperate colony of refugees to go on some dumb heroes journey, but whatever thats the TV tax. No one is going to make a perfect Foundation show its just not the kind of thing that translates well to TV

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Anacreons/Thespins: "we've been fighting for decades (centuries?) because of their betrayal"

Seldon, with no proof whatsoever: "Yeah, that didn't happen, you should be friends"

Anacreons/Thespins: "Ok"

This show is spectacularly stupid.

also the end lmao There is no way Hardin would not have drowned

Settlers: You just murdered half of us but we’re cool now Harry said so.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Rutibex posted:

I liked the final episode. No action battles, Hari going on about how he calculated everything and two time skips. This is the kind of content I was looking for in a Foundation show.

Obviously there was still lovely romance plots and Salvor Harden stealing a valuable spaceship from a desperate colony of refugees to go on some dumb heroes journey, but whatever thats the TV tax. No one is going to make a perfect Foundation show its just not the kind of thing that translates well to TV

That's just bullshit. If SyFy can modernize Childhood's End then Foundation can be adapted properly for tv

gohmak fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 19, 2021

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i wanted to see newspapers printed out from ship computers. this is not the foundation show i asked for! :haw:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gohmak posted:

SyFy can handle Childhood's End

:eyepop:
I guess I have something new to watch....

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
saldin waking up in the middle of night and rushing to see her mom: "oh my god my visions are from gaal dornick and even though she disappeared decades ago i know she's alive ok i have to go find her bye"
*disappears in a cartoonish puff of smoke*

and now for added whiplash, i'm gonna go watch the last invasion's episode

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That spaceship seemed pretty sophisticated how did she irretrievably crash it?

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Kill All Cops posted:

the way cleon disposed of the gardener's entire life footprint by murdering everyone she ever interacted with, including the other palace gardeners, and their extended families was pretty funny, and lee pace sold it with that hand twist

If this was a better show, i would entertain the thought, that he just convincingly told her all of that and never had the technical and logistical ability to actually execute his plan. But of course he has the power to simultaneously obliterate 1500 people per orbital laser strike in a second.

/Edit to add: Hari's "Let's work together"-speech was the most embarassing motivational endeavour ever. Even Khaleesi dropped better words in a made-up language. Poor Jared Harris must have died inside.

bou fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 19, 2021

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Rutibex posted:

I don't think anyone expects a perfect Foundation show, just A Foundation show, period, when its called Foundation.

Centrist Committee posted:

Settlers: You just murdered half of us but we’re cool now Harry said so.

I'm more impressed one story with no proof from a nano ghost was enough to get these two warring planets to go "wow yeah lets team up with our blood enemies", instead of what would make more sense, the Thespin's (also, not that it matters, but is there any reason they changed Smyrno to Thespin? Thespin wasn't even one of the 4 kingdoms in the book, I'm pretty sure its just made up for show?) who still had ships in orbit just wiping out the Anachreons, and saying "lol ok, you foundation people all work for us now. You're going to turn over the big ship and build us a fleet so we can crush the Anachreons, or we'll kill you all".

Like in this show the Foundation has no leverage at all in this relationship, they're a couple hundred people who exist to do the ship building work for the "foundation" which is now 99.9% just the Anachreons and Thespins. In the original story the point was they used what leverage they had in science to resist the advances of all these big wolves around them looking at the Foundation as a tasty treat, and eventually take them over through guile.

The whole resolution was one of the most literal versions of a deus ex machina I've ever seen on a show. Godlike man who knows all descends from on high to tell everyone they're friends now, then leaves.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Also I just remembered the writers used literal children as the audience stand in for the obvious question of how the gently caress did you die on the ship and turn into a space ghost? Honestly, I respect the flex

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

withak posted:

"ok ship land on synnax"
*minutes later*
"oh gently caress poo poo I forgot the water planet is like all water"
*ship starts sinking*

*seldon, smugly* as I calculated

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I guess it never occurred to the ship software guy that there might be water on a planet.

Maybe that is related to the cryopod that is a stable enough boat that you can just stand up and it is rock-steady, but sinks like a stone the moment you jump out.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

withak posted:

I guess it never occurred to the ship software guy that there might be water on a planet.

Maybe that is related to the cryopod that is a stable enough boat that you can just stand up and it is rock-steady, but sinks like a stone the moment you jump out.

well, you've got magic oars that appear from nowhere, so why not.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

withak posted:

It only had an IP63 rating.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

withak posted:

Not as sophisticated as that (now) 300 year old escape pod which is better than a star ship and should probably be the only method of travel!
:science:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I’d like to place an order for either a large set of magic nanobots, or the invisible oar device please

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

I’d like to place an order for either a large set of magic nanobots, or the invisible oar device please

I'd like the most stable kayak ever.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I guess the Cleons weren't wearing their shield bracelets during their slap fight?

Show sucks rear end. It's an insult to Asimov on every level.
I'll watch the next season though.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

SpaceAceJase posted:

I guess the Cleons weren't wearing their shield bracelets during their slap fight?

Show sucks rear end. It's an insult to Asimov on every level.
I'll watch the next season though.

They're Dune shields, just have to slow your blow down enough to get through it and then go full ham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Ok now that they’ve finally gotten to the drat point the show is good again