Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kongming posted:

Well, I'm playing on Normal and I would have agreed with this a few days ago (I've been playing this game nonstop since it came out and have progressed pretty far now) but I'm reaching a point where it actually feels quite easy. There are a couple reasons for this. The first is that starting in the 40s or so you can get some really strong demons with powerful unique skills, and since the game practically shits grimoires at you you can keep these demons around and continually level them up to match your MC's level.

On top of this, essences/incense/sutras means you can shape and power up any demon to match situations and get around weaknesses. Got a demon that is weak to light? Well, just find an essence that has Resist Light on it and now they aren't weak to anything. It's a level of flexibility that isn't present in the older games without some finagling and foresight with fusions.

The other one is miracles. Some of the miracles you get are just downright broken. I won't go into details but you'll know them when you see them.

Finally, the Magatsuhi skill that guarantees crits on everything including spells is a ridiculous tool and it's something you start the game with. Pair it with the phys skills that deal increased crit damage and watch bosses melt.

Game still kicks rear end but I will probably try Hard on a subsequent playthrough.

do enemies get the all crit magatsuhi skill too on normal? like 80% of my non boss game overs are from a group of four going first and using it on the first turn and me not being able to thin the herd before they obliterate me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fungah! posted:

do enemies get the all crit magatsuhi skill too on normal? like 80% of my non boss game overs are from a group of four going first and using it on the first turn and me not being able to thin the herd before they obliterate me

Yep that seems to be the only one that all enemies have.

It gets harder again in the 4th area on normal so I think it's just a bit of a dip in the midpoint where things get a bit easier, on any difficulty.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Regy Rusty posted:

Yep that seems to be the only one that all enemies have.

I've noticed some enemies have skills that they only use in magatishu mode though, so they're sort of unique in a way, they just also get a crit bonus. Like the second boss has that beefed-up Mazan that debuffs attack and defense

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

goferchan posted:

I've noticed some enemies have skills that they only use in magatishu mode though, so they're sort of unique in a way, they just also get a crit bonus. Like the second boss has that beefed-up Mazan that debuffs attack and defense

yeh bosses seem like they have a big magatsuhi attack but normal enemies just do the jumbo crit skill which is way more dangerous lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gonna start this tonight... got a three day weekend starting tomorrow

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Gonna start this tonight... got a three day weekend starting tomorrow

longest lunar eclipse in 500 years starts tomorrow :cheers: auspicious gaming

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

It gets harder again in the 4th area on normal so I think it's just a bit of a dip in the midpoint where things get a bit easier, on any difficulty.

Yeah map 4 is a bit of a wake up call. It seems like the leyline founts are much further apart.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

What level are people fighting the fiends? I thought 25 would be enough for Matador but the fight just drags on for ages due to his immense HP and evasion and he eventually gets lucky with a critical on the mc

Not a huge fan of how HP spongey the bosses seem to be in general, it's not insurmountable difficulty or anything but it feels bad to be pressing weaknesses reliably and just needing to use loads of MP items when they still have 2/3 health. Least I have the party member item use skill now

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I beat Matador at level 24 on hard. I made sure I had atk down, def down, and accuracy down on him the whole time. He wasn't too dangerous but I made sure I used phys dampeners when he got his limit breaks.

I've not really spent many chakra drops bc it costs a turn and they're limited. I'd rather just use a gem or shard unless I need debuff.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Started last night and got my rear end kicked by a group of drat Pretas

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Started last night and got my rear end kicked by a group of drat Pretas

I got pwned by a Jack Frost last night and just turned the game off. You really can’t take anything for granted in this game

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

god the oni fight really kicked my rear end. had to rotate in an entire new party after my starters got demolished + really liberal item use & still barely squeaked by. really sick feeling when i won tho

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Kild posted:

I've not really spent many chakra drops bc it costs a turn and they're limited. I'd rather just use a gem or shard unless I need debuff.

Having back up demons in case one of yours runs low on MP or dies is also a viable strategy, swapping out demons only uses half a press turn. I usually do not bother reviving dead demons since reviving them uses a full turn on top of having to swap them in.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i love that switching in a demon only takes half a turn. great change. also man, ive done one main boss and one optional boss so far and every time ive won has been by the narrowest fuckin margins, hard mode is super rough lol. this game rules

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

how is hard mode for smt3? is it fun hard or frustrating hard

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mbt posted:

how is hard mode for smt3? is it fun hard or frustrating hard

it's fine and unlike 5 for whatever reason you can switch to/from any difficulty whenever you like so you're not bound to it or anything.

also I'm off sick today and think I accidentally played this for like 6 hours straight lmao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really wish you could turn the difficulty up from Normal to Hard in 5 like you can in 3 (HD at least). Hard's feeling kinda tedious early on but I'm sure I'll want to be on Hard mode in the later parts of the game once I have a lot of cool demons and can set up some strong builds.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Harrow posted:

Really wish you could turn the difficulty up from Normal to Hard in 5 like you can in 3 (HD at least). Hard's feeling kinda tedious early on but I'm sure I'll want to be on Hard mode in the later parts of the game once I have a lot of cool demons and can set up some strong builds.

It's extremely stupid that you can't

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
What Nahobino builds are y’all using?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
where’s the best place to play smt 1

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

Went magic for a change of pace but kinda regretting it seeing the cool unique str-based nahobino moves I've been finding. Guess its nice to be able to put more points into vit and agi instead of needing luck for crits

copy
Jul 26, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

completely balanced because i have no idea what im doing

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

John Romero posted:

zsnes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

full strength + smattering of support skills. i have the passive that boosts crit rate but it doesnt seem to do much so ill probably get something new,

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

ive put 90% of my points into luck hoping it'd pay off....

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

John Romero posted:

snes SMT1 with aeon genesis translation + orden patch + automap patch (optional)

the gba version has a better world map and gameplay but worse music. if i were to play it again i would probably go gba

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

STR/AGI here. It's nice that they give you free points every level up so I don't really need to bump vitality much at all

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

copy posted:

completely balanced because i have no idea what im doing

This, basically. Keeping my strength and magic at just about parity got me through 4 and 4A so I’m just trusting it will work here too. The strength-based aogami skills have been really good so far but the game’s challenging enough that I want to have a decent number of support and elemental skills on my MC so I don’t want to lean too hard in one direction or the other

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

NickRoweFillea posted:

https://twitter.com/smtportugal/status/1461315065827807238?s=21

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

STR/AGI here. It's nice that they give you free points every level up so I don't really need to bump vitality much at all

I really like the free randomly-assigned points plus one of your choosing, I hope it catches on with other RPGs

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

Here's my Nahobino, this is endgame so I don't expect the skills to change much now unless I find a better essence with absorb phys allowing me to dump the null skills.

As a bonus here is current Demon MVP

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Yoshitsune is always the MVP

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

If I play again I'm going full support for sure now that I know Kannabi Veil exists.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Kongming posted:

Here's my Nahobino, this is endgame so I don't expect the skills to change much now unless I find a better essence with absorb phys allowing me to dump the null skills.

As a bonus here is current Demon MVP

Based

I started with magic but am having the same regrets Fiend Matador is having. I think I’ll switch to strength and agility from here on out.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MC does get some wicked sick unique magic soon enough, worth sticking with in the long run

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Decisions, decisions.

I got dive bombed by that big bird demon on the highway, and was one turn away from killing him when he critted Nahobino twice. loving devastating. I love it.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

My MC is always phys/agi with a few support skills, sometimes I get rid of them in favor of passives depending on the game. Maybe a light/dark skill if they're useful

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

anyone getting much mileage out of ailments?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Beat this the other day. Great game, amazing soundtrack. Sort of regretted playing on normal because the latter sections of the game were a joke and I was killing bosses in 1-2 rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

anyone getting much mileage out of ailments?

Absolutely. I neutered the first major boss by putting him to sleep and I think I actually killed Lahmu with poison.