Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Alright, so, someone smarter than me (it's a low bar I promise), does this set any sort of precedent? Or am I wrong in how that works?

One of my takeaways is that Grosskreutz (bicep guy) thought Rittenhouse was an active shooter. In a way he was, at this point he had already fired shots and (I believe?) killed two people. There was also cell phone video of him pointing his gun at people which should absolutely be taken as a threat. Can then Grosskreutz be brought up on charges of assault?

Will this affect something like mass shootings? Like just point your guns at people until someone tries to stop you and now you're legally in self-defense mode? This whole thing is just stupid.

Either way I know one thing:

edit: A most shameful snipe. Have a picture of my friends old rear end cat.

Wrong Theory fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The lesson seems to be to fire on anyone open carrying an unslung rifle on sight.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 19, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wrong Theory posted:

Alright, so, someone smarter than me (it's a low bar I promise), does this set any sort of precedent? Or am I wrong in how that works?

One of my takeaways is that Grosskreutz (bicep guy) thought Rittenhouse was an active shooter. In a way he was, at this point he had already fired shots and (I believe?) killed two people. There was also cell phone video of him pointing his gun at people which should absolutely be taken as a threat. Can then Grosskreutz be brought up on charges of assault?

Will this affect something like mass shootings? Like just point your guns at people until someone tries to stop you and now you're legally in self-defense mode? This whole thing is just stupid.

Either way I know one thing:

You know how cops get off because they "fear for their life"? Basically that from now on if you're white and a republican

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Milo and POTUS posted:

You know how cops get off because they "fear for their life"? Basically that from now on if you're white and a republican

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Crab Dad posted:

My favorite current hot take is that’s it’s ok because one of the dead guys is a pedophile.

You know because he totally knew that before he killed him.

Like he had pedo radar.

But game recognizes game so maybe Rittenhouse was just icing competition.

Whatever.

When people say poo poo like this it is a direct window into why the Criminal Justice system is completely broken and likely won't get fixed in our lifetime. Americans are loving stupid as poo poo.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crab Dad posted:

My favorite current hot take is that’s it’s ok because one of the dead guys is a pedophile.

You know because he totally knew that before he killed him.

Like he had pedo radar.

But game recognizes game so maybe Rittenhouse was just icing competition.

Whatever.

You figure that Matt Gaetz and Goser would be bothered by that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
We do not have a criminal justice system as there is no justice. We have a criminal legal system.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
At least there was one good verdict today, on a bench trial.

https://twitter.com/kcur/status/1461800098334191622?t=Q-LYKxOr4cPffRMhO5Zqlw&s=19

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Hannibal Rex posted:

The trial for the Denver shooting will be interesting. Aka the Pinkerton Antifa space invader supersoldier assassination of a True American Patriot.

Most recent news I've found on that:
https://denvergazette.com/news/loca...92e0fba16d.html

No date for the actual trial, but he's been out on bail since last November.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wrong Theory posted:

I don't believe Self Defense works on precedent so much as jury credulity, but maybe I'm wrong. Mr. Nice?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

The bonus is that per the law, said shooter (the 3rd victim) would be fully justified in killing Rittenhouse at the time. So Rittenhouse would've been justified in killing him at the same time he would've been justified in killing Rittenhouse. Self-defense laws break down into circles made of idiocy when a critical mass of guns in a situation is met.

Except the third victim was protesting against state violence and Rittenhouse was acting as a paramilitary for the state, so he was not fully justified and would have warranted summary execution by the fascist state militia. A reminder:
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1304953304619810816

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yup summarily executed in the street versus the most biased court in living memory

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Brazilian fascism is bad because I live there. American fascism is good because Democrats hurt my fee-fees.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/LachCartwright/status/1461842562906574849

At least he can never wipe away the dweeb on himself.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stultus Maximus posted:

Brazilian fascism is bad because I live there. American fascism is good because Democrats hurt my fee-fees.

Also let’s not forget the Brazil’s President would probably have Glenn’s husband tortured and murdered , while Trump listened to it laughing if he could, and Greenwald would still kiss their rear end.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MazelTovCocktail posted:

You figure that Matt Gaetz and Goser would be bothered by that.

I swear to god the guy who rants at work about Rittenhouse was hunting pedophiles complains a bit too much me thinks.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crab Dad posted:

I swear to god the guy who rants at work about Rittenhouse was hunting pedophiles complains a bit too much me thinks.

Reaction Formation is a hell of a drug.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Wrong Theory posted:

Trial court decisions generally don't set precedent, compared to appellate court decisions which generally do. This was a trial court decision.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I think Rittenhouse is a turd, but I also think this was self defense.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Brb going to store to do self defense (with gun)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Luv to be an unpayed paramilitary. All I ask is for a chance to kill and a little boot to lick.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Rittenhouse is 100% going to get paid.

https://twitter.com/tuckercarlson/status/1461851263231004677

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1461866020122107909?s=20

Disgusting

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is not good.

U.S. Warns Allies of Possible Russian Incursion as Troops Amass Near Ukraine

Western intelligence officials are increasingly convinced that the Russian president wants to take control of a larger swath of territory.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/19/us/politics/russia-ukraine-biden-administration.html?referringSource=articleShare

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I think Rittenhouse is a turd, but I also think this was self defense.

I was always taught the first rule of self defense is to be somewhere the gently caress else before poo poo pops off

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

what makeover? He doesn't need a makeover to appeal to that crowd

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I'm a mega doomer and hopefully I'm wrong but I still expect late night talk show hosts to make jokes about this kid and just diminish what happened and what it portends

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

I was always taught the first rule of self defense is to be somewhere the gently caress else before poo poo pops off

That's the best way to do it.

Look, I'm not some right winger. I haven't voted for a republican since 2008. I hate the people that are gleeful about this, but having watched all the video, I don't think he did anything that would have made him waive his right to self defense. To me, most of the arguments in favor of convicting him seem to boil down on the theory that "he was asking for it" and I don't buy that as a valid legal theory generally.

I'm sure Rittenhouse will over enjoy being popular for the first time in his life and after his 15 minutes of fame he'll probably self destruct via drugs or alcohol.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

You sound like a right winger to me.

maffew buildings posted:

I'm a mega doomer and hopefully I'm wrong but I still expect late night talk show hosts to make jokes about this kid and just diminish what happened and what it portends

Late night has always been about spoon feeding the most trivializing takes to an audience well into their fourth drink of the night. You’re not being a doomer here at all.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

No, you see, ~NOW~ the first rule of self defense is not to be a wimp and employ your deadly weapons. Brandishing? What's that? :troll:

The "good guy with a gun" logic seriously poisons a lot of people's brains. You're not overreacting and escalating the situation, you're engaging hostiles!

Really looking forward to more people going on walks and jogs with ARs slung. :sigh:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
insane right wingers go looking for a fight, starting to lose and blasting their way out of it is self-defense you say

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

insane right wingers go looking for a fight, starting to lose and blasting their way out of it is self-defense you say

Many such cases! :sniff:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Given how the chud-o-sphere is reacting to this and the speaking deals/loving blow jobs he's already got lined up on the Tucker Carlson White Power Hour it's going to happen a lot more often.

Welcome to the future.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Go looking for a fight? Oh, do you mean "going on watch?" :jerkbag:

bird food bathtub posted:

Given how the chud-o-sphere is reacting to this and the speaking deals/loving blow jobs he's already got lined up on the Tucker Carlson White Power Hour it's going to happen a lot more often.

Welcome to the future.

Yeah, my mother is extremely anti-gun, watches MSNBC every night, and semi-routinely asks me why I've armed myself. Recently she asked the question one too many times, and I told her "because I envision a near-future where pickup trucks roam neighborhoods with armed chuds in the cab hunting for Others and 'undesirables.' And when that future comes, I'm taking at least some of those fuckers with me."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 20, 2021

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I've been saying for years I'll loving DIE for brands. I'm willing to kill for Golden Corral and I'm inspired as gently caress seeing this brave brand warrior did what was needed for their local capital generating property

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MazelTovCocktail posted:

This is not good.

U.S. Warns Allies of Possible Russian Incursion as Troops Amass Near Ukraine

Western intelligence officials are increasingly convinced that the Russian president wants to take control of a larger swath of territory.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/19/us/politics/russia-ukraine-biden-administration.html?referringSource=articleShare

We need to get the writer of this 1997 WIRED graphic on the line to tell us what’s happening next.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maffew buildings posted:

I've been saying for years I'll loving DIE for brands. I'm willing to kill for Golden Corral and I'm inspired as gently caress seeing this brave brand warrior did what was needed for their local capital generating property

Since he was policing a vacant building, he was the ultimate expression of pro-life: defending a potential capital generating property.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Platystemon posted:

We need to get the writer of this 1997 WIRED graphic on the line to tell us what’s happening next.

I never thought I would see a 10/10 prediction from ‘97

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ASAPI posted:

I never thought I would see a 10/10 prediction from ‘97

9/10, the cancer thing didn't pan out.

Also, lol, if I'm reading it right the author isn't saying all this will happen, he's saying that any one of these things could derail progress and development of humanity.

And we're at 9/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Mad credit for 9/10, but I think #3 was already reality by 1997. Tho from what I recall that was very not apparent in the media of the time here.