Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

Sometimes it feels like people hate Arise more than Tempest

no not really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tales of arise is the most commercially and critically successful tales game by an order of magnitude and has brought many new fans into the series, and even the hardcore fan response seems mixed at worst, its very rare to find anyone who outright loathes it. tempest is so undesirable that you can find stacks of brand new sealed copies of it in japanese game stores for approximately 50 yen each.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
the key word is 'feels'

I realize it is not logical

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I don't even remember which one Tempest was.

Was that the one with the Furries and the hot fortune teller lady or one of the DS ones that I'm pretty sure don't actually exist.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 20, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wolfman protag, DS, 3 lines like Rebirth

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i would recommend graces f, as it's my favorite tales, but the cowards won't port it to pc so berseria.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I don't feel like playing Arise simply because the opening hours of the game I saw in a video playthrough were just blatantly copying the plot beats of the first episode of Code Geass. Only all the characters felt way more bland and one-note in comparison.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'll be honest I don't see much resemblance.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ruined King is significantly more sprawling than its predecessor was but its weird how I've got a % progress meter and know you don't get your full party until well over 30% of the way through the game.

Its got lots of weird little quirks going on that could be cleaned up, but really if you liked Battlechasers and want more without the weird pointless dungeon grind and battles that load and play significantly faster its a no brainer.

Also I appreciate that the catgirl is more "feral" looking instead of just cute girl with cat ears as shes normally show

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Was that the one with the Furries and the hot fortune teller lady or one of the DS ones that I'm pretty sure don't actually exist.

it's the ds one that was so bad they created a separate classification between mainline and side games to decanonize it

and then years later they ended up teasing a remake that never happened and started referencing it in mainline games anyway.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think one year Absolute Zero teased that a translation they were working on was nearing completion and then released Tempest out of nowhere as an April Fool's joke.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

I don't feel like playing Arise simply because the opening hours of the game I saw in a video playthrough were just blatantly copying the plot beats of the first episode of Code Geass. Only all the characters felt way more bland and one-note in comparison.

Ok

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Code Geass's first episode was cool though, and so was season 2

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Are there a lot of JR Gs like Strange Journey? Just like in that weird sort of grid style?

I picked up Mary Skelter 2 for my Switch per recommendations and it instantly made me think of SJ but maybe it's just a whole subgenre or style unto itself and I just haven't played any other games like it.

SMT1 was like this too now I think on it, for the thirty minutes I tried that game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If you're just talking about straight dungeon crawlers, yeah they're somewhat common. Especially after the Wizardry series took off in Japan. Strange Journey is itself built in the engine of another series of Atlus dungeon crawlers, IIRC it uses the Etrian Odyssey 2 engine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Might I recommend Operencia or Undernauts???

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

To go along with Barudak's suggestion there is also a Savior of Sapphire Wings/Stranger of Sword City Revisited combo pack that would be worth looking into if you play Undernauts and enjoy that. I know one other Dungeon Crawler I always enjoyed was Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land on the PS2.

There are also the Legend of Grimrock games, but I've never played those so I can't really comment on them beyond being Dungeon Crawlers.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Soul Hackers is another SMT game that harkens back to the series' dungeon crawler roots, if you're more interested in staying with the familiar.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I don’t hate Arise, it just didn’t live up to the hype which is sad considering how successful it was

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It being successful is a good thing though? I mean, maybe they’ll take the wrong lessons on writing/game design but I feel like they had some degree of awareness that they released a jankpile second half or the entire game would have been lacking. NEO: TWEWY is probably my JRPG of 2021 and it sounds like it sold gently caress all but it’s not like people were gonna buy it if Arise didn’t exist.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Something being successful but not being good can have an effect on sales of the next one.

We will see on that front as it isn’t a guarenteee or anything

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I don’t hate Arise, it just didn’t live up to the hype which is sad considering how successful it was

I always feel relieved when people say this, because I tend go out of my way to ignore everything not immediately in front of me, and video games suffer in particular since they're not that large a part of my life. This leads to funny situations like this one, where I learn from Something Awful dot com that apparently Arise had hype?`

I saw the game randomly in a shop when I was visiting Hamburg, looked at some reviews on my smartphone to see if it was any good, saw nothing too negative, and impulse-bought it. It was fun for the time I could play it, but then my eye problems forced me to retreat mostly to my Switch for gaming, since I can't really take my TV and hold it close to my eyeballs to compensate

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Comparatively speaking Tales of Arise had a lot of hype because they budgeted about $60 for making it instead of the usual $20.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

"A lot of hype" is very relative here. Like I can mention Final Fantasy or even Persona (5) to people I know who play video games but don't really follow news and releases and they'll have heard of the games, even if they don't necessarily know anything about them. Tales games on the other hand I don't even think most of my friends who do follow video game news will have heard of them, and that's including Arise.

exquisite tea posted:

Comparatively speaking Tales of Arise had a lot of hype because they budgeted about $60 for making it instead of the usual $20.
More like they budgeted $60 to marketing the game instead of the usual nickel that fell out of someone's pocket during a meeting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not really seeing the resemblance other than 'one nation is oppressed by another.' lelouch doesnt have amnesia, alphen's mask is glued to his face instead of being used for disguise reasons, the whole elemental magic premise is completely removed from it, the protagonist lives in a slave town instead of relative comfort, he does not have magic mind control powers, shionne is from the oppressor country instead of the oppressed one, the protagonist isn't living a double life.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Man the brief time period between purchasing and playing Arise is a weird time for me to happen upon this discussion

And yet that's exactly where I happen to be

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Are there a lot of JR Gs like Strange Journey? Just like in that weird sort of grid style?

I picked up Mary Skelter 2 for my Switch per recommendations and it instantly made me think of SJ but maybe it's just a whole subgenre or style unto itself and I just haven't played any other games like it.

SMT1 was like this too now I think on it, for the thirty minutes I tried that game.

The Ertrian Odyssey series for the DS/3DS immediately jump to mind, of course. Some of the best dungeon-crawling you’ll find imo. Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk was talked about upthread but has a lot if problems mechanically and a terminally bleak writing style and I can’t personally recommend it, even as someone who normally likes a bleak/dark humor sort of game. I don’t have a lot if experience with the series but Elminage is another Wizardry-like and I know at least one is available on Steam.

And if you want to get aggressively 80s/90s there’s always Might & Magic and Wizardry. :v:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Pretty sure I saw more advertising for Arise than I have every other Tales game combined.

Lol

*Watching any story with a rebellion and human trafficking in it*

"So, what, this is just Code Geass all over again huh?"

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 20, 2021

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

*guy who's only watched boss baby voice*

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
arise just seems like in their big transition to unreal 4 with a higher budget instead of whatever lovely rear end engine they'd been using for the previous decade, they also made lots of kind of bad decisions both in an attempt to "update" the series and also make it more like symphonia or vesperia because those are still the most successful ones internationally. still really really hope skits being in 3d is, not going to be the series standard for the future lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the worst part of arise is how weirdly comphet it is. like it dares you to want two guys to make out and goes out of its way to make sure the entire party has a het romance to the point of just kinda forcing one in in the back half for one pair. its very strange for a series that has never really gone that route previously.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’d settle for the 3D just being implemented better, yeah the scenes look jank as is but on the other hand I can have everyone with little tiny baby owls on their head in every skit and not just the cutscenes/battles.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the skits in arise being so dull that you have to invent your own fun with goofy dressup is another mark against it!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What's oldest thing to be recycled in a Tales game? Like an asset or an npc made in 2006 that shows up in a 2013 game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

the skits in arise being so dull that you have to invent your own fun with goofy dressup is another mark against it!

I mean yeah duh, but I mean more “imagine the skits in Berseria but with costumes/attachments” than keeping them 1:1 with their debut because they just feel like hslfassed cutscenes as is. Like, just have the 3D models do the standard series of expressions the portraits in Tales do while staring at the screen?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

These lategame story revelations in Second Light aren't all that satisfying to me. I don't think the stakes really needed to be raised beyond "magical girls trapped in an alternate dimension must confront past traumas to restore their memory" since the actual explanation is so jargonistic and nonsensical anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

I mean yeah duh, but I mean more “imagine the skits in Berseria but with costumes/attachments”
this would be worse because the skits in berseria are already funny and costumes/attachments would distract from them, and the 2d art is funnier and more charming than the 3d models could ever be

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What's oldest thing to be recycled in a Tales game? Like an asset or an npc made in 2006 that shows up in a 2013 game.
if it counts then xillia 2 (2013) reuses music from eternia (2000) as ringtones for the characters' cellphones, but that's actually kind of cute.

otherwise i think vesperia monster models got reused all the way up to berseria.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The problem with 3D models is unless Tales gets a AAA budget the most they can do with it is exaggerated body movement.

And that’s never funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Alard posted:

To go along with Barudak's suggestion there is also a Savior of Sapphire Wings/Stranger of Sword City Revisited combo pack that would be worth looking into if you play Undernauts and enjoy that. I know one other Dungeon Crawler I always enjoyed was Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land on the PS2.

There are also the Legend of Grimrock games, but I've never played those so I can't really comment on them beyond being Dungeon Crawlers.

Grimrock are realtime games.