Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Mellow_ posted:

Oh God it's been another year already???

Seeing this fake Clarkson every November is like a constant reminder that time is beyond my control and I'm absolutely terrified that Chris Roberts can make me feel this way.

E: God drat it they even reused the part of the intro where he's high-fidelity cummin' into his ship's control panel.

> Star Citizen: high-fidelity cummin' into his ship's control panel

https://i.imgur.com/ZwkKDRK.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

How many man hours do you think have gone into re-modelling this character every year for the sake of some bad promo videos

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

If the aging keeps up, this dude is going to be long dead before SC actually releases.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

In fact is the dude even in the actual game?? Are they intentionally ignoring a world-building layup by not putting in a celebrity NPC? Is it because there is no meaningful way for players to interact with them?? Is standing a schlubby dude in a corner saying voice lines somehow beyond this company???

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

dieselfruit posted:

In fact is the dude even in the actual game?? Are they intentionally ignoring a world-building layup by not putting in a celebrity NPC? Is it because there is no meaningful way for players to interact with them?? Is standing a schlubby dude in a corner saying voice lines somehow beyond this company???

no yes yes yes

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

One in the Bum posted:

If the aging keeps up, this dude is going to be long dead before SC actually releases.

Even without the aging this would still be true

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Moochewmoo posted:

You don't do things, the game just kinda happens at you.

This reminded me about something in my long lost past in high school. At the time we had computer programming courses with some of the first home computing machines past the Spectrum and Commodore era, it was with Apple IIc and the like. We were using BASIC and Logo. Yes, I am that old.

Well, in our class breaks some of us would nerdly spend our time programming small little games for our friends to have fun with, or even play actual Apple IIc games of the time. I remember a specific "game" a friend and I built which wasn´t a game at all in fact. We programmed something that resembled a kind of rudimentary cockpit window view, the "game" then went into an animation showing a take off, a short ascent, a stall and a crash with a nice explosion. That was it. But we even added a very nice intro text with instructions and a list of keys for controls, speed, flaps, up down etc etc. So it all looked real.

No matter what the unsuspected victims did the plane would always inevitably crash. A few players would quickly see through the deception, but most would just stay there and try harder many times. Some even praising the "game" and its difficulty as the best thing since sliced bread.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
Alright so I played the game now I'm getting some stutters in the witcher 3, I can only assume my computer is now poisoned, because I have not stuttered in witcher 3 prior to installing this garbage.

Anyway this is lawyerforbirds

I chose port olisar as my home or whatever, game is laggy as gently caress, I spent probably an hour trying to find the hangar bay so I could try being a spaceman, took in the sights

grabbed a fidelicious burger

met a cool npc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owo051-QFKw

eventually i found a hangar, and it took me a solid 10 minutes to give up on figuring out how to get the hangar bay doors open before resorting to chat, apparently the hangar bay people are on my friends list and I just had to send them a DM.

Another 10 minutes later I was finally outside the atmosphere.

I did the fast travel thing for 5 minutes to an objective, blew a thing up then got shot to poo poo by an NPC ship, lost power and floated around in circles for a bit, at this point I left the computer and came back to being at the Doctors office.

The game is janky as gently caress, makes 0 effort to make things interesting and as everybody knows, wants to waste your time.

Is there a map for cities or whatever? It took me so loving long to figure out a reliable way to the hangar. Not that I will ever touch the poop again.

I had another shot tonight but I fast travelled to the wrong objective, and between that and exiting olisars atmosphere I just gave a significant lack of fucks to try to find the fun and would rather play something fun. It was going to be a box mission so I was hoping to find some more funny bugs but it seems like you have to play the game for dozens of hours just to get those unless you're real lucky.

so thats my report i guess

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What's your machine specs?

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Colostomy Bag posted:

What's your machine specs?

witcher 3 was fine until after playing this poop

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Did you nearly die while eating a burger that was wrapped in a hand as if VR was toggled on?

I had that once…

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

How many fans do you have installed in your case?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

grabbed a fidelicious burger

Did some LODs fail to load here or do the burgers always look like this?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

:toot:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How much is that in the regular less efficient game industry money?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yo guy who just tried the game first time, how easy was it to uninstall? I'm so tempted to poke around myself to fuel my star citizen gameplay on reddit but i really let these comments about its shittiness to my computer go to my head

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It's like herpes in digital form, you cannot get rid of it

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

yo guy who just tried the game first time, how easy was it to uninstall? I'm so tempted to poke around myself to fuel my star citizen gameplay on reddit but i really let these comments about its shittiness to my computer go to my head

Just build a new rig to play and unformat the drives afterwards. Real easy.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Do you have copper pipes in your house?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget to set your Windows page file to 1 TB.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

After watching the project for a year before deciding to commit, I decided to support the development long term. I set my budget at around $100/month from March 31st 2014.
Over the years I upgraded and upgraded so that now I have 30+ ships the majority of which are large. I also gave about $800 to Twitch Streamers of Star Citizen to help them grow the viewer base, I am proud to say I gave a guy his first Aurora game package when he was a struggling college student and he is now a very high level Concierge member.

Over time all concept ships increase in price and thus increase in base starting CCU value, for example I have 2x BMM's which cost around $195 each and two Carracks that cost $250 each. I did have 3x BMM's but when it's price went up to $500 it meant I only had to buy a BMM to Liberator for $75 - Total cost $270. Most of my ships (especially the large ones) were obtained this way, I have not paid full price for a ship in years. That is what determination, sticking with it and patience gets you. It doesn't take long to build up. The more you have 'in the bank' the more options you get. CIG don't care what ships each backer has in their hangar or how much they cost - there are Concierge members with one Aurora and 4 years or more subscription at $20/month (48x20+45 = $1005), all CIG care about is who is supporting the project.

My logic in collecting ships is this - what else should I do with the store credit? For a long time the only game was the 'ship shuffle game' using your observation skills, planning and intelligence to get the best deal for yourself. Small ships are easy to grind for - it's the big ones that will take heavy play time in the future. I would have supported the project to the same level just to get to listen to Pedro Camacho's music.

It was not fandom for me, I'd never heard of Chris Roberts, and I thought Freespace 1 and 2 were far better space war games than Wing Commander. I didn't do it for the ships I've always known we could get any ship in the game eventually. I did it because I wanted the team to go to work and not have to keep one eye on the jobs pages of other companies. I wanted them to have the freedom and enthusiasm that job security brings. I have had jobs where you are always worried if you would get paid next month, next quarter etc. I wanted them to know that committing to this project they would be able to pay the mortgage, feed the children and pay the medical bills. Many of the team at F42DE came from a company that couldn't afford to pay it's team members for many months, I didn't want that happening to this project, $100/month was what I could afford (my friends spend more than that on Steam games they never played) without struggle, others could more, others could do less but we all did what we could. Very few reach Concierge level because they are stupidly rich 'Whales', extremely few.

How do you start a seed bed of LTI ships/vehicles to CCU from?
The person who told me about 'Buy to Melt' was Ben Lesnick back in 2015 when he used to hag around in general chat - it goes like this:
Day 1 of the sale you have $300 cash and there is a CCU you would like for $300 - You could get the CCU and be happy. However what you could do is use the $300 cash to buy 4x ships at $75 with LTI.
Day 2 Melt the 4x $75 ships so that they go into your buyback list as LTI tokens you can always buy back at the original price, even if they later go up in value... then use the $300 store credit to buy the CCU you wanted. You have as long as you need/wish to use anything in your buyback list. In the old days before Warbond you could do this recycling of store credit every day of a sale, but it is still possible to do it in a limited fashion now.

Non-Warbond CCU's can be bought with store credit. Any ship bought with cash remains giftable even if you use store credit to add CCU's to it.

It's nice to see that after all these years other who are new to the experience are excited for the project - Do it for the fellow community members and future community members, do it for the team, do it to send a message to other game developers that there is a better way to make games that last more than 'this season' profiteering - but don't do it just for the ships.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Some people make way too much money and we really need to reevaluate how we distribute wealth to avoid morons with too-much money deciding what to do with it.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Khanstant posted:

Just take a full system image when you install it and then restore it after. Otherwise just consider the game is made of glitter and it lives in your place now forever.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I didn't have any trouble, but if it is a genuine risk then fair enough, the game really is extremely bad so I wouldn't want people to damage their installs for my idle amusement

Speaking of that though, does anyone have a idea for an av or gang tag I can give to goons who touched the star poop

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Sandweed posted:

Can't belive they are still doing the top gear bit.

What else do they have?

Seriously, knock-off Jeremy Clarkson is about the only on-hand character they have on hand to hawk ships. All of the top talent would cost too much money, and they don't really have any other recognizable characters... or products for that matter.

Star Citizen: The Game is more or less dead, now we're watching the development of Star Citizen: Machinima Ship Ads.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

sebmojo posted:

I didn't have any trouble, but if it is a genuine risk then fair enough, the game really is extremely bad so I wouldn't want people to damage their installs for my idle amusement

Speaking of that though, does anyone have a idea for an av or gang tag I can give to goons who touched the star poop

TAG: Star Poop Toucher

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Pixelate posted:

What the gently caress…

Washed up hack narrative? Boring recycled assets in-joke? All hopes resting on a big bombastic ship reveal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUqhFlcol70

Are they ritually killing Chris by sacrificing their fake Clarkson?

Liked the deformable terrain and repair drones though. Looked like a good game.

Appreciate the year 3000 space truck with piston engine and air brakes.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

sebmojo posted:

tag:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Fidelitious posted:

Did some LODs fail to load here or do the burgers always look like this?

lmao fidelity that rivals burgs in Job Simulator

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

With a croberts face that turns and winks under the gold star

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

sebmojo posted:

I will give a free av, designed by the thread, for an effort vid (or screenshot lp, idc) of someone endeavoring to have fun during the freeplay. I'm hungry for this, someone pick up that cursed glove

the Peter Gabriel memorial avatar for commemorating excellence in commitment to self harm

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

The gently caress is this poo poo? GTA:SA?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

nurmie posted:

why's everybody walking so weird. it's low-key some of the weirdest walking animations i've seen in a while

also, the way the lighting looks makes everything and everyone look kinda plastic-y, like an early PS4 title or something. not a good look tbh.

What you're seeing there is one of my favorite Star Citizen things, and that's what happens when they have to do something on the fly and can't mocap every single performance. My guess is that the executives look like complete poo poo (especially in the shot where they're walking on board the truck) because they didn't or couldn't mocap the entire thing and had to actually animate those characters, which is something CIG never does if they can avoid it because it ends up looking like this lol.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Easter Egg found, true release date of SC 2075!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
new merch, wtf is this

It's astounding that invention of interstellar travel can be presented in such an equally boring and narcissist manner.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

lol this is the stupid penguin mascot or w/e the gently caress. they're really scraping the barrel

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Yoga career confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Dwesa posted:

new merch, wtf is this

It's astounding that invention of interstellar travel can be presented in such an equally boring and narcissist manner.

Proceeds generating birds are in!