Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Sanderson thought that scene was done well even though he had suggested Luhhan getting axed in order for Perrin to kill earlier than the whitecloaks.

I found all of his thoughts to be really insightful and help the part of my smooth brain that wants the show to be the books. He feels like he's being listened to.

check em out https://old.reddit.com/user/mistborn

Hexel fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my prediction for episodes 7 and 8 are that they're going to do the big reveal on 7 and let the ramifications of that sink in and then use part of if not most of 8 to show prologue content with lews therin and maybe driving home his insanity at the end and what he did to cap off the season and get new viewers to go 'holy poo poo'

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah sanderson seems to have a good perspective, adaptation is hard and you're probably going to reasonably disagree with some major decisions but it's still turning out pretty good as a whole

also agreed, i'm hoping for big things in ep 7/8, since presumably there's a reason they didn't send them to reviewers beyond "this wasn't done yet." they'll be released right around the holidays and it's the perfect time to have your most dramatic poo poo drop if you're trying to build buzz while people are home and looking for things to watch

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

most of my reasoning is that i figure if they're going to do the big reveal in episode 7 just going off the little info blurbs then they're going to want to offer a chaser after that shot and give something lasting for viewers to talk about after a big plot thing like that, and it would be the perfect time to drop 'i win again, lews therin' on their asses in episode 8 before going 'hey check out season 2 on prime video (:'

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Perrin Wife, then has no life

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Torrannor posted:

One thing I wonder whether it can be change is how circles work. Rand more or less uses Nynaeve as a giant battery/generator to cleanse saidin, she isn't really doing anything. Similar with using the Bowl of the Winds to right the weather. It would be cool if Nynaeve (and Moiraine when Rand links with her and Nynaeve in the Last Battle) could contribute more. Perhaps make it a more group event, with all the linked people weaving the flows and the one leading the circle coordinating/bundling the flows?

We haven't really gotten much info on the interplay of saidar and saidin yet. There's that bit in the begining with Liandrin telling that male chaneler "your touch corrupts it" so it's possible some things are changing in that regard. Also the fact that they seem to be not bringing much of the :biotruths: stuff from the books, suggests that there might be some changes in that regard.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

CainFortea posted:

We haven't really gotten much info on the interplay of saidar and saidin yet. There's that bit in the begining with Liandrin telling that male chaneler "your touch corrupts it" so it's possible some things are changing in that regard. Also the fact that they seem to be not bringing much of the :biotruths: stuff from the books, suggests that there might be some changes in that regard.

To be fair, though, I don't think we should be taking a Red's perspective (much less LIANDRIN'S) on male channeling as the gospel truth. For that matter, even Moiraine's speech at the beginning of the first episode as she's getting dressed represents only her own point of view, not necessarily objective truth.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
After the first episode my review was "not bad" and after the third I'll up it to "pretty good"!

I like Nynaeve's and Mat's actors a lot. Perrin worries me a bit, he kind of stands around looking like he doesn't know what to do with his arms. Which, fair enough, might be true to the book character.

Rosamund Pike is good but she gives off strong "I am a Professional British Actor being paid well to do my job" vibes. Which is fine, that's how we got Gandalf and Captain Picard.

The changes to Mat's and Perrin's backstories feel like TV producer notes saying these characters need more motivation.

Thom is much more cool and hot than I imagined him.

I think the shadowspawn mostly rule, though they look better at night than in broad daylight.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Perrin's whole thing is coming across very slow and doofy cause he's in his own head all the time so I think Marcus Rutherford giving off that kinda vibe is intentional

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Saidar/saidin and explicit mentions of "the male half of the source" are both in the x-ray bonus material so I don't think they're changing that stuff, maybe just downplaying the :biotruths: aspect of it for the actual episodes

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

jng2058 posted:

To be fair, though, I don't think we should be taking a Red's perspective (much less LIANDRIN'S) on male channeling as the gospel truth. For that matter, even Moiraine's speech at the beginning of the first episode as she's getting dressed represents only her own point of view, not necessarily objective truth.

Well sure. I kinda hope they're doing a thing where the Aes Sedai are just wrong about it because they've spent thousands of years not having men around channeling. I could also see it being a thing where the reds have their own "truth" they teach.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Torrannor posted:

To be fair, I don't doubt at all that Egwene attracts a lot of misogyny. I can just imagine the usual suspects enjoying her when she dunks on other powerful women, but frothing at the mouth once she "talks back" to Rand. The beauty of that scene is that both were right and wrong. Rand is right that the Seals need to be broken, Egwene is right that the start of the last battle is not the right moment to do so.

One thing I wonder whether it can be change is how circles work. Rand more or less uses Nynaeve as a giant battery/generator to cleanse saidin, she isn't really doing anything. Similar with using the Bowl of the Winds to right the weather. It would be cool if Nynaeve (and Moiraine when Rand links with her and Nynaeve in the Last Battle) could contribute more. Perhaps make it a more group event, with all the linked people weaving the flows and the one leading the circle coordinating/bundling the flows?

I'll agree with this. Cleansing sadain would be cool as heck with her help

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

jng2058 posted:

Right, what I said in the discord was, maybe intentionally, that the show seem to go one step deeper into character thought processes, justifications, and philosophies and surfacing them rather than just doing an exposition dump of the upper level terms and definitions. Red Ajah attitude toward male channelers would be one of those instances.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I liked this. I was so psyched at the start because I love this series.

It's got poo poo I don't like. Such as it is moving too fast. (It probably has to?)
And the slow DnD wizard spellweaving.

But boy the actual magic? Probably the best it's been in any show I can think of? Fireballs with weight. Weaves that cut poo poo up. Catapulting a building and loving lightning.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Right, what I said in the discord was, maybe intentionally, that the show seem to go one step deeper into character thought processes, justifications, and philosophies and surfacing them rather than just doing an exposition dump of the upper level terms and definitions. Red Ajah attitude toward male channelers would be one of those instances.

Wait what discord. Go on.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
The calling of lightning was probably my favorite effect so far

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

RC Cola posted:

Wait what discord. Go on.

TBB discord.

Anyway, to continue my thoughts from that post--this is what we're seeing in the show vs the books: what the characters were thinking in their POVs, they're just plainly stating. Mat's joke about "hey maybe don't piss off the woman who throws fireballs", you would never actually see him say it in the books. What you would have is a POV of him thinking something to the effect of "only a great bloody fool would anger a woman who can channel the one power, and he was no great bloody fool", meanwhile he proceeds to anger the woman who can channel the one power.

Rand's complete mess of thoughts on their run from Emond's Field to this point, none of what he says in the show in the first few episodes is stuff he wasn't thinking in the books (with maybe a couple of things borrowed from Perrin or Mat from later on).

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Affi posted:

I liked this. I was so psyched at the start because I love this series.

It's got poo poo I don't like. Such as it is moving too fast. (It probably has to?)
And the slow DnD wizard spellweaving.

But boy the actual magic? Probably the best it's been in any show I can think of? Fireballs with weight. Weaves that cut poo poo up. Catapulting a building and loving lightning.

i like the slow dnd spellweaving, because i presume that when you get to the forsaken and, like, rand or nynaeve, that it's gonna be all "lol no, just do it with your mind at hyper speed" and thus look way more impressive in contrast

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I hope the movement-based style of weaving sticks so that the big climatic Forsaken fights can end up being solved by dance-offs

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

As someone who only remembers the big plot beats from my read of the book a decade ago, and who remembers very little from the first three books, I really enjoyed the first 3 episodes. I thought the Trollics looked great and were correctly vicious. I liked how in the first episode in one of the shots where they pull out you can see what you originally thought were stone pillars were actually the mostly reclaimed-by-nature skyscrapers from the Age of Legends. A neat touch that hints at how advanced things were back then. Got me thinking that I wish that the Tinkers were wearing High-Viz vests and such that they'd scavenged from the age of legends because of their bright colors, but that'd probably be pretty silly.

Nynaeve was very badass and Iiked her and Lan's interaction. Having Moraine out of commission gave them the alone time they needed to setup their relationship later as the Warder's woman would otherwise have overshadowed that.

I like Mat and the Thom as the cowboy-bard was fun.

Wasn't expecting a darkfriend's motivation to be breaking the wheel. That seems out of place for most of those folks as they generally seemed to want personal power.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I hope they do balefire like the war of the worlds heat ray https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CkoNFUpoo8&t=53s

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm predicting that they might be portraying the dark one's followers as thinking the dark one wants to break the cycle and create some kind of utopia when in reality they just want complete oblivion. it's hard to tell as of yet but there's ways they can spin it in a way we know of already given what we've heard so far.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

So an update on my non-book reader friend. He's seen all three episodes, and he's sticking with Mat as his Dragon Reborn. Between the Dagger and Mat's line "I don't see how anyone could reasonably blame me for all this," he's convinced he's read the tea leaves correctly. So it isn't obvious to everyone that it's Rand, at least not yet

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Echoing others, I think my biggest problem is starting off with Moiraine chasing rumors of ta'veren in the Two Rivers. I think they missed a great opportunity in not having Moiraine and Lan start as mysterious strangers. Did the books ever address what brought Moiraine to Emond's Field? I'm blanking on it. Maybe in New Spring?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

MajorBonnet posted:

Echoing others, I think my biggest problem is starting off with Moiraine chasing rumors of ta'veren in the Two Rivers. I think they missed a great opportunity in not having Moiraine and Lan start as mysterious strangers. Did the books ever address what brought Moiraine to Emond's Field? I'm blanking on it. Maybe in New Spring?

Nope. It would have been one of the three planned prequels (New Spring was one of the three) and I doubt there's more than 2 lines of it on paper.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MajorBonnet posted:

RJ planned to write an entire prequel book about that topic, but died beforehand

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Johnny Joestar posted:

for the record i'm like 100% certain the post i was thinking of was like a fraction of the length and more or less said that egwene was going to be an evil tyrant and that it was explicitly good that she died due to like some intensely bizarre reasoning that smelled like 'i don't understand her character and just think she's a bitch'

I cant speak to any of that, but I did remember reading that Egwene would have likely started a war with the Seanchan post-books and found it really hard to disagree.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

gently caress, the show is a lot better than I thought it could be. Major part of it is the casting - they are all just knocking it out of the park.

One question - was there any sort of explanation into how the Questioner (was that supposed to be Jaichim Carridin or Eamon Valda?) was able to block the Aes Sedai he burned? Just from pain? Or is the theory that in this world, Aes Sedai cannot channel without their gestures so cutting off the hand is enough?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Egwene was one of those leaders who was perfect for a time of war but would have been devastating in a time of peace

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's Valda, and yeah it seems like so far Aes Sedai need physicality to channel weaves in the show.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

JOHN SKELETON posted:

gently caress, the show is a lot better than I thought it could be. Major part of it is the casting - they are all just knocking it out of the park.

One question - was there any sort of explanation into how the Questioner (was that supposed to be Jaichim Carridin or Eamon Valda?) was able to block the Aes Sedai he burned? Just from pain? Or is the theory that in this world, Aes Sedai cannot channel without their gestures so cutting off the hand is enough?

No explanation, but it would make sense if they knew of forkroot instead of some random character you never see again introducing it. The hands seemed significant, but who can say?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Only guess that makes sense is that she didn't have a warder/was surprised, and yeah, it looks like they're definitely going with the bit about learning movent as part of the way you craft weaves. There were a few bits during the trolloc fight where Moiraine did stuff with just a tiny incline of her head though. I hope it's something they go in to more later especially as a contrast between the Aes Sedai and other channelers like the forsaken, Rand, Logain, Wise ones, etc.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

MajorBonnet posted:

Echoing others, I think my biggest problem is starting off with Moiraine chasing rumors of ta'veren in the Two Rivers.

that line made no sense to me

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I asked my non-Book Reader wife who she thinks the Dragon Reborn is so far.

She thinks it's Perrin, because the wolves are acting weird around him. "I really don't think there's anything special about Rand or Mat, and it's normal for Egwene to have the Power, right?"

Her other pick is: each of them got a piece of the soul and together they're the DR. She dismissed that one, though.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I'm also missing the hints that you only catch later or on a reread, like Rand getting sick after the confrontation with Valda in Baerlon. The closest thing I've noticed in that vein is the close up on Tam's heronmark.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

JOHN SKELETON posted:

There's been nothing said in the show, so there's only fan speculation at this point. Personally, I think that Aes Sedai in the show need those hand and arm movements we see Moiraine use to do major channeling, so my thinking is that it went something like: The Whitecloaks attacked from ambush and killed the Yellow's Warder with a hail of arrows, and before she could recover from the shock of the broken bond they dragged her off her horse and tied her up, and then it was game over. Once they got her back to camp, they chopped her hands off to keep her from ever channeling again, which goes straight into the scene we saw.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I want to give a shoutout to Valda's actor for being creepy as poo poo with that whole speech about whatever it was he was eating.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I want to give a shoutout to Valda's actor for being creepy as poo poo with that whole speech about whatever it was he was eating.

https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1462069765162348550?s=20

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

MajorBonnet posted:

i think i've posted about it before but iirc emond's field and that area in general happened to be one of the few overall places that hadn't been checked by moiraine or any others sent out to do it during the events of new spring, if only partially because it's backwater as hell and the aes sedai had a tendency to ignore it. they had also narrowed down a lot of it to areas around dragonmount in some capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's a nice touch that they don't do the "napkin over your head so God doesn't see you doing something so awful" thing that is (supposedly) part of the ortolan experience