Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

rabble rabble posted:

I assumed that the "is that a door" line is supposed to prime us to understand that it's actually the same AI god hari from the ship that has taken that door to the vault

the vault needed to be created so there was a door for him to walk through

imo it's the same stupid hari

Nah, Hari asks where Gaal is. Ship Hari knows where Gaal is, she's on a slow boat to water world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

whoever said "it would be stupid if we found out that salvor is gaal's daughter, so it's probably gonna happen" deserves an award

I was thinking about watching until this. Salvor the annoying Warden was Gaal’s daughter all along? So she inherited her mom’s psychic power because she is of the sacred bloodline? Hari Seldon, who said before he couldn’t calculate the behaviour of the individual and only the whole species population, was making it up all along and bet the farm on some unknown hillbilly kid from a backwards planet who will save humankind because she is special? We got ghosts pulling strings and wars between planets and power struggles by an all powerful emperor? Is George Lucas writing again? Jesus. Thank you goon for sparing me this. Five minutes of passable court intrigue and good acting surrounded by 90% Star Wars rip-off does not sound fun. Hard pass. Thanks goons. Hopefully enough people stop watching so Apple doesn’t waste the money on season 3+ and the funds go elsewhere. I liked See season 2.They want 8 years of this?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Rappaport posted:

Thread title, please?

yea

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

If there ends up being 8 years of this im gonna be epicly pissed

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Idk I still enjoy it. I thought I was getting prestige TV sci-fi but instead it’s hack space soap opera with a huge budget. I’ll gladly watch 8 seasons

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Show was fine, probably not going to watch anymore, the whole season gave me a Westworld season 3 vibe. At least the annoying lady getting an arrow in the neck was rad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Now that all 10 episodes are available, and i've watched it to the end, can still say; this was an extremely stupid and pointless show.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
oh yeah, that detail of salvor taking huntress' bow and shooting her in the neck from it was made funnier this episode by the anacreon in this episode explaining to salvor that the tree was made from the same material as "your bow". that dude literally didnt give a poo poo that salvor took their relic and never gave it back to anacreons.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

whoever said "it would be stupid if we found out that salvor is gaal's daughter, so it's probably gonna happen" deserves an award

I suggested it like 3,4 episodes ago as a way to "sort out" show's fixation to superhero magical power.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

I shall take my award in the form of a varied and diverse assortment of pies.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
i started watching the expanse because of recommendations in this thread and holy poo poo it's blatant how terrible foundations writing is because the characters and plot points in this show actually make sense and are compelling.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Now that all 10 episodes are available, and i've watched it to the end, can still say; this was an extremely stupid and pointless show.

It's such a dumb waste of the spectacle and all the money / on-location shooting they did.

Since at end of the series you won't care about the plot, amazing reveals or the characters.

It also has zero in common with the actual material given all the rewrites and decisions for attempting to translate the books into a TV series.

It's a failure to in terms of being a translation of the book series and an additional failure since all the rewrite decisions are not improvements / memorable over the source material (let's give multiple characters a Marvel superpower and capability they didn't earn)

etalian fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 20, 2021

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Speaking of how nanobots are magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz9kLWsiQjc&t=95s

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 20, 2021

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

DogsInSpace! posted:

I was thinking about watching until this. Salvor the annoying Warden was Gaal’s daughter all along? So she inherited her mom’s psychic power because she is of the sacred bloodline? Hari Seldon, who said before he couldn’t calculate the behaviour of the individual and only the whole species population, was making it up all along and bet the farm on some unknown hillbilly kid from a backwards planet who will save humankind because she is special? We got ghosts pulling strings and wars between planets and power struggles by an all powerful emperor? Is George Lucas writing again? Jesus. Thank you goon for sparing me this. Five minutes of passable court intrigue and good acting surrounded by 90% Star Wars rip-off does not sound fun. Hard pass. Thanks goons. Hopefully enough people stop watching so Apple doesn’t waste the money on season 3+ and the funds go elsewhere. I liked See season 2.They want 8 years of this?

you can watch it for the cool scifi spectacle and the ultra smug clone emperors, and just laugh at the bad writing

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

DogsInSpace! posted:

So she inherited her mom’s psychic power because she is of the sacred bloodline?

That’s exactly how mentalics worked in the books, it was genetic. The first one Hari found was his own granddaughter (Raych’s daughter). The show just bumped it up a generation.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Hari Seldon, who said before he couldn’t calculate the behaviour of the individual and only the whole species population, was making it up all along and bet the farm on some unknown hillbilly kid from a backwards planet who will save humankind because she is special?

Making what up? And no, he had no idea Gaal could do anything more than be good at math.

DogsInSpace! posted:

wars between planets and power struggles by an all powerful emperor

Right out of the books, though the emperors were not clones and most of the action was offscreen, so to speak.

I mean, this show has some terrible writing. Feel free to not watch it. But ”the show took a bunch of ideas from the books“ was a weird bunch of things to complain about amidst all the actual garbage.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Five minutes of passable court intrigue and good acting surrounded by 90% Star Wars rip-off does not sound fun.

To be fair, it's more like 30-40% of passable court intrigue and good acting, and the 60-70% it's surrounded by is more of a Dune rip-off.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

its HIM posted:

That’s exactly how mentalics worked in the books, it was genetic. The first one Hari found was his own granddaughter (Raych’s daughter). The show just bumped it up a generation.

It seemed a lot less like a Mary Sue "sacred power" in the book because Salvor Hardin and Raych's daughter the mentalic were separate characters, the latter one in a prequel, though

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm just pissed that this show got Jared Harris for half the season and The Expanse has to make do with a four second clip once a season.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
At this point I'm like, gently caress it, 10,000 years of dark ages seems like a small price to pay to avoid this loving show

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I'm just pissed that this show got Jared Harris for half the season and The Expanse has to make do with a four second clip once a season.

and it was more annoying since his small parts in The Expanse had some incredible character acting like his scene with Miller

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

its HIM posted:

That’s exactly how mentalics worked in the books, it was genetic. The first one Hari found was his own granddaughter (Raych’s daughter).

(Minor book spoilers) But Raych was adopted. It wasn't genetics, it was coincidence. And Hari couldn't do the mentalic stuff himself anyway, he just figured out what he was looking at, and that he could use it in the Plan.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

its HIM posted:

But isn't it the case in Book 3 of the Foundation trilogy that the Second Foundation folks also have telepathic abilities, but gain them through training to unlock humanity's hidden ability rather than through any genetic predisposition. The whole talk with the Mule at the end of that arc seems to indicate as such.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This speculation is pointless the mentalics are just going to be jedi

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seems to be some kind of gamble, if you plan for Harris to stick around for eight seasons. We gotta start betting what season/episode his AI corrupts into another actor.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I just have to say how absolutely WILD it is that they introduced TWO ways to make a Hari AI. It seems extremely pointless to do so. They literally could have just had the vault be a projector for ship Hari to talk through. There was zero reason to make him an entirely separate Hari who was copied with an entirely different method. It's not like vault Hari wouldn't know the overall plan about the Second Foundation that Ship Hari revealed to Gaal. He knows the secret parts of the plan too.

Also Vault Hari has got the much worse existence, only getting to be turned on for 10 minutes every few hundred years, while ship Hari gets to live a more fulsome unlife. That Hari really got the rear end end of that deal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What happens when Vault Hari and Ship Hari meet? Maybe it’s like crossing the streams?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

What happens when Vault Hari and Ship Hari meet? Maybe it’s like crossing the streams?

They were both created by real Hari so I assume they know of each other. I guess ship Hari would have more of a claim to be the real Hari since he's on all the time.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

withak posted:

Spaceship man, Spaceship man
Doing the things a Spaceship can
What's he like? It's not important
Spaceship Man

Va-ult Man
Va-ult Man
Va-ult Man hates Spaceship Man
They have a fight, Vault Man wins
Vault Man

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
If it's this easy to become an AI holigram, why even clone? Aren't you effectively immortal?

I feel like the show accidentally stumbled on a killer premise, but is going to ignore it completely.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seems to be some kind of gamble, if you plan for Harris to stick around for eight seasons. We gotta start betting what season/episode his AI corrupts into another actor.

If they have it all planned out they could just film all his post-crisis exposition monologues now in one go.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Also Vault Hari has got the much worse existence, only getting to be turned on for 10 minutes every few hundred years, while ship Hari gets to live a more fulsome unlife. That Hari really got the rear end end of that deal.

Nah, Ship Hari has to spend a thousand years doing the grunt work of running the whole Plan. Vault Hari just has to give a few ten-minute pep talks. He'll reach the nice pleasant Second Empire in, like, an hour.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
S2 plot twist, Vault AI: I am sorry ghsot Hari, the nanomachines son pill you swallowed was altered, you are not 100% of the real Hari....we are still tracing the origin of the alteration....

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
remember when gaal destroyed a hyper advanced ship by hitting a monitor

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Blowdryer posted:

i started watching the expanse because of recommendations in this thread and holy poo poo it's blatant how terrible foundations writing is because the characters and plot points in this show actually make sense and are compelling.

Lol still on season one of the expanse I see

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Hace posted:

remember when gaal destroyed a hyper advanced ship by hitting a monitor

load bearing glass

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

houstonguy posted:

Lol still on season one of the expanse I see

Have some shark jumping to enjoy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love how we use phrases like "jumping the shark" and "crossing the streams" just throwaway lines which capture an entire zeitgeist of a generation somehow, to describe things happening in this show which are trying so loving hard to establish even a minute echo of one of those very simplistic concepts, and the futility of it is like the meme cowboy screaming over the mountains

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

There are people who genuinely love this show, I straight up cannot compute how you can over look how fuckin bad it is

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"I have just erased your legacy by killing all 1500 people in your monkeysphere by snapping my fingers"

"Very badass but what about all the people that knew those 1500 people? Are you going to kill them too? Someone might uhhh notice"

"..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Google Butt posted:

There are people who genuinely love this show, I straight up cannot compute how you can over look how fuckin bad it is

I think not knowing one single thing, or even hearing about, the source material is a requirement. Then maybe, just maybe, you might be able to enjoy it.