Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

BrainDance posted:

We are talking past each other or something here, I don't want to go in circles.

Atopian gave his guess about how many foreign people are lovely, his experience is like 10 to 30%.

I pretty much agreed with him and said probably ten percent, and that that's way too high and lovely. But also most people are just people, so it's not great to blame them all for stuff most of them aren't a part of.

And you disagreed because British people abroad are "absolute loving scum" when no one was else was going "yeah gently caress this nationality in particular." That was my whole point saying that, like holy poo poo you're just suddenly talking like there's some inherent badness to people born somewhere, so gently caress all British people living outside the UK, and it is the wildest take, it's like you are trying to take the most uncharitable interpretation of everything,. Maybe I should have said "national character" instead of "racial characteristics," but the point is gently caress assigning some characteristic like that to someone cuz of where they were born. That's not crying "reverse racism", or whatever other tangent you wanna go on.

And none of it has anything to do with the whole point, that most people (even British people) in China are, still, just normal people. I don't think there's all that many people left in China that are part of some colonial project anymore. They're mostly just businessmen and teachers.

And actually yeah I don't think that classist bullshit where people portray all people in the South as backwards racists is cool either. There's racism in the South, focus on the people there that are doing it don't poo poo on them all. There are tons of people there against that too.

I used brits expats as an example of expat communities with lovely racial, sexual and class politics. You're again trying to conflate "these communities have systemic issues with their behaviour" with "all brits are genetically/culturally bad". The same goes for discussing racism in the american south, responding to someone saying there's systemic racism in those communities here with "so you're saying whites are bad?? perhaps the real racist is you!" is a racist defense of some loving awful poo poo

We are talking in circles because you're a dishonest and disingenuous moron.

mila kunis has issued a correction as of 17:30 on Nov 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Grapplejack posted:

I just think it's really funny that even if she's fine they can't stop putting out extremely sus looking 'confirmations'. like drat just have her go buy some groceries or something

there is nothing that will ever stop the narrative that shes being forced to do stuff for the chinese state pr

like bro ive literally had to deal with dipshits making jokes about chinese people eating cats and dogs, chinese people cant drive, asian parents are brutal and inhumane, any successful chinese person with money is triads or got it from corruption, and asians are effeminate and weak all my life and the only way to deal with it is to just to laugh it off

nothing will ever change their views on asians/orientals

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Grapplejack posted:

I just think it's really funny that even if she's fine they can't stop putting out extremely sus looking 'confirmations'. like drat just have her go buy some groceries or something

Admittedly, she is clearly laying low at this point.

There are sexpats out there, they aren’t a myth, but the question is exactly how many of them exist and if it is fair lumping every foreign English teacher/tutor with them. Personally, I think it isn’t and the conversation leaned way into it. It is meeting a white person from the south and the first thing you say to them his “where is your hood buddy?”

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:43 on Nov 20, 2021

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
yeah right now they're in an amazing situation. it's impossible for her to prove shes fine because everyone will just say its the party covering.

the thing is, the west is extremely retarded about everything in china. remember how jack ma was detained / arrested / disappeared, then he went on vacation to europe? whoops, guess they just forgot about him.

so annoying. what I think happened is. she posted, the govt took down the post and told her that's not the appropriate place to air grievences (which I personally agree with, although I hope she gets justice for whatever happened), and shes just laying low hoping for it all to blow over. now the west can seize upon another way that china is "disappearing" people. loving stupid.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

psycho with a gun posted:

lol at how many tankies went from tara reade truthers to peng shuai deniers

you out on bail?

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Which banned D&D poster's rereg are you?

Its obviously guapo or whatever his stupid name was.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

The funny thing about the Peng Shuai case is that my brain instantly gave a higher chance that Zhang Gaoli will be 'disappeared' but the western media isn't ready for that conversation.

idk his standing in the party tho

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

mawarannahr posted:

are there places where sexpats aren’t a thing? American and British nationals in Turkey don’t seem especially horny, certainly no more than locals who will walk up and yell “Hello. Are you sex?” to any foreign woman. the weird ones are the journalists but they’re weird for being bloodthirsty. the main stereotype i observe is expats drink way too much.

I don't think Turks get the same obsessive sexualization asian girls do that make people move to another country just to try to gently caress them. That being said almost every other Anglo I've run into, up to and including the other professors/students, are absolute creeps about the local girls when they do come here. They also tended to do worse here "romantically" than they did at other sites, so I imagine that lessens the draw a bit.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Doctor Jeep posted:

i don't get this graph at all, i understand the one with 2 lines, but this has 4 lines (lower and upper line of each blue/pink area) and they can't both represent loss in military capability?

it doesn't make sense because its all made up

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mirello posted:

yeah right now they're in an amazing situation. it's impossible for her to prove shes fine because everyone will just say its the party covering.

the thing is, the west is extremely retarded about everything in china. remember how jack ma was detained / arrested / disappeared, then he went on vacation to europe? whoops, guess they just forgot about him.

so annoying. what I think happened is. she posted, the govt took down the post and told her that's not the appropriate place to air grievences (which I personally agree with, although I hope she gets justice for whatever happened), and shes just laying low hoping for it all to blow over. now the west can seize upon another way that china is "disappearing" people. loving stupid.

Antonymous posted:

The funny thing about the Peng Shuai case is that my brain instantly gave a higher chance that Zhang Gaoli will be 'disappeared' but the western media isn't ready for that conversation.

https://twitter.com/HuXijin_GT/status/1462075117266096135

If she had an affair with a random movie star or male athlete, it would be perfectly understandable and expected that she would turn down any interviews and just lay low for a while. Other celebrities in the Sinosphere do that all the time. It's equally as likely that she herself just doesn't actually want to talk to anyone and it's the CPC that's trying to cajole her into making an appearance for the sake of national honor.

Just lmao

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Antonymous posted:

this is very true. this guy is retired but hes a nobody. hard to disappear someone that nobody has ever heard of. adultery is a crime for people in the party though, so they can use that. more than likely this just fades away over the next month

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
is the gotcha here that they gave proof of life but that it (unlike other types of proof of life) is staged? do these people think she's going to condemn china if she has a press conference?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Judakel posted:

is the gotcha here that they gave proof of life but that it (unlike other types of proof of life) is staged? do these people think she's going to condemn china if she has a press conference?

:shrug:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Press conferences, magical things where everyone has to tell the truth and not lie and stonewall anyone.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nobody knows anything about china so obviously everything is staged

She could fly and meet up with the WTA guy right now and we'd still say it was staged

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I haven't paid attention: Is the party guy important in any way? If it was the UK, how many hogsheads from the Mace would he be?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

genericnick posted:

I haven't paid attention: Is the party guy important in any way? If it was the UK, how many hogsheads from the Mace would he be?

He sounds like one if those people who's important but only if you're a politics dweeb, but he also retired from being that important a few years ago

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
He's a senior figure within the CPC, I don't think he's particularly important or involved in the government side. Maybe the best analogy would be a Harry Reid or Chuck Schumer. Peng Shuai herself is 100 times better know to the public than he is.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

I think we ought to make a slight distinciton however, as their economic systems are different. That's why I'd say that while modern day China is clearly fascist, Maoist China or the Soviet Union were a distinct brand of totalitarianism, which is nonetheless closely related to fascism.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
The Chinese government doesn't really guarantee any civil rights to its citizens, so it's not like there's much stopping them from imprisoning people without trial. More than anything though, the PRC is very secretive about these things and regularly tries to stamp down on the spread of information, so when you're left wondering what they're hiding, imagination can produce things that are much worse than the reality. Peng Shuai could've been dragged into a van and taken to a torture dungeon, or she could've been chastised and told to not to leave the house for a while. It's hard to really know.

What's very believable is that an unaccountable authoritarian government with mostly male officials would have issues with sexual harassment. In the US there's been a big social movement to try to tamp down on sexual harassment, and we're still only really beginning to understand how much there is in our society. I don't know where you'd even start picking away at a government like the PRC. It's not like they're open to criticism about any other aspect.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Revolutionary China was a very volatile mix of genuine revolutionaries who wanted to bathe in capitalist/KMT blood + moderates who'd gotten swept up for the ride and wondering what the gently caress they'd gotten into + straggling warlords that just shrugged and put on a mao suit and hoped nobody would notice + mao himself being the 60s equivalent of extremely online and going to frankly baffling lengths to settle scores, which ranged from political rivals to people that had slighted him once twenty years prior

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
china (genocide rape authoritarianism country) is probably torturing this woman to death right now. can anyone prove she's not?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Well here in America, we just torture people openly! <:mad:>

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Ok true, I don’t have any evidence that she has been kidnapped but

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Blarghalt posted:

mao himself being the 60s equivalent of extremely online and going to frankly baffling lengths to settle scores, which ranged from political rivals to people that had slighted him once twenty years prior
seems like his last wife was the same way. true love

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Mao is alive and living in Chicago in disguise

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
mao alive in serbia

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

mila kunis posted:

mao alive in serbia

wow, i can't believe he's a sexpat

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Relin posted:

seems like his last wife was the same way. true love

If you pissed off Stalin, you'd get a visit from the NKVD and just vanish.

If you pissed off Mao, he'd send like five to forty guys to just beat the gently caress out of you in broad daylight for something you did either a week ago or a week after the founding of the Chinese Communist Party

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Anyone else got tickets to the VR Mao rally in Fortnite?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Despera posted:

the story of a persons sudden disappearance after disclosing rape by a powerful person....

is really about tennis

ur parents were unhappy about your birth

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Blarghalt posted:

If you pissed off Stalin, you'd get a visit from the NKVD and just vanish.

If you pissed off Mao, he'd send like five to forty guys to just beat the gently caress out of you in broad daylight for something you did either a week ago or a week after the founding of the Chinese Communist Party

Who? Liu Shaoqi was just expelled from the party, and he was probably the most high profile opponent of Mao

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Red and Black posted:

Who? Liu Shaoqi was just expelled from the party, and he was probably the most high profile opponent of Mao

asking for evidence is revisionism

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

getting kicked out of the party and beat up by them builds character and eventually leads to the forging of the stoutest leaders in the party.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Red and Black posted:

Deng rehabbed him and Xi made sure to mention him in a speech as one of the greats. Before that he was known as a 'capitalist roader and traitor to the revolution'

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

which I mean if deng was the one to rehab you and xi is all in favor of you, well, it's not an incorrect read

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hong Kong belongs to Formosa

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Mr Hootington posted:

Eh they may be partially correct. The Chinese housing market is depreciating in value and it has seen a bit of a slow down in manufacturing. It is too early to proclaim recession or some BS.

The 2nd tweet is pure bs

housing for living not for speculation

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Believe Her (when she suggests that the USA should violate national sovereignty)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

sean penn is a wife beater and now a fascist

but you could confuse him for an Irish-American :q: like sleepy Joe