Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Dear Entertainment Industry,

Please stop making every god drat character related to every other goddamn character. It's mindnumbingly stupid.

Sincerely,
Humanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Data Graham posted:

"I have just erased your legacy by killing all 1500 people in your monkeysphere by snapping my fingers"

"Very badass but what about all the people that knew those 1500 people? Are you going to kill them too? Someone might uhhh notice"

"..."

“15xx people, essentially all the people that would remember you”

Buddy, I don’t think I could even come up with 150 people that would remember who I was if I died this minute.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For that matter, nice poetic justice of punishing flower girl by "erasing her legacy"

Which was clearly the big thing motivating her. Her legacy

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mycomancy posted:

Please stop making every god drat character related to every other goddamn character. It's mindnumbingly stupid.

Sincerely,
Humanity

Empire Strikes Back was a mistake

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

mycomancy posted:

Sincerely,
Humanity
There have been a lot of TV shows and movies doing the "the audience will never seen it coming that _____ and ________ are actually related" twist, like they're trying to do a imitate the one in the Star Wars original trilogy but without doing any of the work to make it make sense for anything but its own sake. I can remember two other instances of it being executed well, though

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

galenanorth posted:

There have been a lot of TV shows and movies doing the "the audience will never seen it coming that _____ and ________ are actually related" twist, like they're trying to do a imitate the one in the Star Wars original trilogy but without doing any of the work to make it make sense for anything but its own sake. I can only remember it being done one other time where it was executed well

What was that other time

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

the first one in OK KO, and the second one in My Hero Academia, where one of the two main villains is the grandson of the hero's mentor's dead mentor because the other of the main villains raised him to be a villain to get back at the hero's mentor

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

galenanorth posted:

the first one in OK KO, and the second one in My Hero Academia, where one of the two main villains is the grandson of the hero's mentor's dead mentor because the other of the main villains raised him to be a villain to get back at the hero's mentor

Steven Universe pulled it off really well, but it was crafted knowing that everyone had seen ESB and they had some good strategies to throw people off the scent.

They even gaslit people who correctly guessed the twist into believing their guess was wrong, LOL

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Data Graham posted:

For that matter, nice poetic justice of punishing flower girl by "erasing her legacy"

Well every person you have ever known or who have been vaguely aware of your existence dying because of you has to sting. All of your memories would be tainted by that guilt. Spending the next 60 or so years of your life in a black void thinking about that would suck. I suppose you'd go insane fairly quickly though.

A+ torture.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Data Graham posted:

"I have just erased your legacy by killing all 1500 people in your monkeysphere by snapping my fingers"

"Very badass but what about all the people that knew those 1500 people? Are you going to kill them too? Someone might uhhh notice"

"..."

It was a bad day to have friended that random chick at a party in college 20 years ago...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It was a bad day to have friended that random chick at a party in college 20 years ago...

Regrets over when you swiped right on Empire Tinder

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

I hope next season there is a terrorist organization comprised entirely of family of people who knew flower girl

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rutibex posted:

I hope next season there is a terrorist organization comprised entirely of family of people who knew flower girl

Turns out the Shadowmaster just typed,"FlowerGirl" into EmpireBook and assumed the first result was the right one.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
sucks to be that one newly hired empire gardener who had the misfortune of having his first shift coincide with the flower girl before she was caught

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Season 2 opens with Empire’s press secretary apologizing for accidentally erasing the wedding party of an unrelated flower girl, and offering to bring the survivors to Trantor for a special tour of the space bridge memorial.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Centrist Committee posted:

Season 2 opens with Empire’s press secretary apologizing for accidentally erasing the wedding party of an unrelated flower girl, and offering to bring the survivors to Trantor for a special tour of the space bridge memorial.

We particle beamed vaporized some folks

Gibbon
Feb 22, 2004
chang chang!

Steve Yun posted:

What was that other time

I thought of one, the spider-man movie with Michael Keaton

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
I need the math ghost of Hari Seldon to pop up and tell Empire, "Btw, if you happen to genocide every person your gardener has ever met, that will also definitely hasten the fall."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The empire just got 10 years shorter.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

"Okay guys, remember, we don't tell Empire that we couldn't find the flower girl's second cousin once removed's ex-husband's stepdaughter! Got it? He'd be so pissed if he learned we missed one. And we have to keep this secret forever, or else our great great grandkids will pay the price, six Cleons from now."

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

gonna stick it out for another season just to see if my prediction of aura hobo popping up to wreck empire's poo poo comes true

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ElGroucho posted:

If it's this easy to become an AI holigram, why even clone? Aren't you effectively immortal?

I feel like the show accidentally stumbled on a killer premise, but is going to ignore it completely.

This would have made the backlash against the dynasty make more sense as well if they were an AI hologram of cleon. All this stuff of "do they have a soul as clones?" is idiotic babble because of course they don't, no one does, there are no souls. But if the people were saying "wtf you aren't even human, you're not real, you're just bits!" that would have been a more interesting philosophical question to have about what are they, that the show could explore and question. The problem with bringing in religious beliefs is there is no deeper discussion to be had, you either believe in that stuff or not, and it ends there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel like much as with stories like "these two alien races have been at war for so long neither can remember why, turns out both sides misinterpreted something thousands of years ago", Star Trek already dealt with ^^ as thoroughly as we care to see

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ps4 AppleTV app is such garbage, it took me 3 hours to watch 38 minutes of it. After it buffered making me look at Salvar's sad face at leaving Hugo I just realized I didn't care enough to wait 20 minutes for it to start again. I tried on the actual AppleTV site and it says my account isn't authorized to view anything on there. Good thing I'm just using my sisters login and not paying for it myself.

I guess I did miss some dumb stuff though.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

I just have to say how absolutely WILD it is that they introduced TWO ways to make a Hari AI. It seems extremely pointless to do so. They literally could have just had the vault be a projector for ship Hari to talk through. There was zero reason to make him an entirely separate Hari who was copied with an entirely different method. It's not like vault Hari wouldn't know the overall plan about the Second Foundation that Ship Hari revealed to Gaal. He knows the secret parts of the plan too.

Also Vault Hari has got the much worse existence, only getting to be turned on for 10 minutes every few hundred years, while ship Hari gets to live a more fulsome unlife. That Hari really got the rear end end of that deal.

Maybe it's just me since it was such a small thing but they basically ruined a really important part of the story with that.

Hari recorded his plans for the future and at every predicted crisis a recording shows up and tells everyone what's going on exactly. It was shocking during the first crisis because people had begun to doubt over the decades and he had never appeared. So seeing a 50+ year old recording telling them exactly what was happening restored their faith and gave them purpose. Book Spoiler This also was an extremely huge deal when after centuries of perfect crisis recordings one turns out completely wrong and nobody knows what to do because Hari was wrong. They just stand around in shock as the wrong recording confidently continues.

If it's just Hari himself as an immortal AI strutting out of the vault to comment on what's been happening it loses a little in the translation to me. I get that in the 1950s Asimov wrote it as a recording and by 2020 we are going to have hologram AI chewing scenery but it was a bad choice to undo that part of his original concept.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I think not knowing one single thing, or even hearing about, the source material is a requirement. Then maybe, just maybe, you might be able to enjoy it.

It's probably this. Most good things I've heard about it are people realizing they can draw comparisons to modern day or liking the political drama and things that were virtually non-existent in the books.

Foundation is my all time favorite book series from my all time favorite author but I didn't want to be the person ranting about the superiority of the source material so I gave the whole season a shot and woof. I'll keep watching it because I watched Under The Dome and Lost but it's just an extreme disappointment.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 21, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Owling Howl posted:

Well every person you have ever known or who have been vaguely aware of your existence dying because of you has to sting. All of your memories would be tainted by that guilt. Spending the next 60 or so years of your life in a black void thinking about that would suck. I suppose you'd go insane fairly quickly though.

Given the black void thing, couldn't he just...lie to her about the mass murder thing? Same effect, less blowback.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It would have been believable that Seldon wouldn't just use an AI. I mean, look at the Internet memes about how bad current AIs are. Maybe they just never get that good at perfectly emulating an individual human even over 30,000 years. I guess even a primitive Terminus news scraper and if/then chain would enable "cheating" by helping refine psychohistory estimations by providing intermediate data points. They should've just kept it a recording, though

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Pictured: Empire erasing Flower Girl

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Given the black void thing, couldn't he just...lie to her about the mass murder thing? Same effect, less blowback.

That's what I would have done. Killing 1500 people all at the same time raises too many questions. Just tell her they are all dead and then put her in forever prison.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

That's what I would have done. Killing 1500 people all at the same time raises too many questions. Just tell her they are all dead and then put her in forever prison.

You don't kill 1,500 people in secret. The point is to make an example of her, so anyone else who thinks about messing with Empire knows that everyone in their life will die if you dare to gently caress with the Cleons.

Of course this is extremely brutal thinking and will lead to the empires downfall, just like blowing up those planets as revenge for the star bridge. Heck just the fact they are drawing attention to themselves over this incident will make people question their genetics. Could have just hid everything, but nope decided to merc 1,500 people instead

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

We've now had two brothers Day act in ways that are guaranteed to make them less liked, because they want to be feared I guess, and the show could use it more effectively to show the empire crumbling, but they also sort of want us to think Empire is cool, so it got side-tracked into weird parodies of the Sopranos. And whatever it was that happened with the space pope election plot. Clone Plot is still the best part of the show, but that bar is pretty dang low. At least all the Cleon infighting and scheming makes thematic sense, since Cleons are awful people, but the show is kind of all over the place actually following through with it. Starting out with planetary genocide is fine I guess, but then just randomly murdering 1,500 people, in an empire with trillions of people seems a bit... Low-scale? Obviously it's personal for the Cleons, but they sort of downgraded from space tyrant to petty mobster stuff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rutibex posted:

You don't kill 1,500 people in secret. The point is to make an example of her, so anyone else who thinks about messing with Empire knows that everyone in their life will die if you dare to gently caress with the Cleons.

Of course this is extremely brutal thinking and will lead to the empires downfall, just like blowing up those planets as revenge for the star bridge. Heck just the fact they are drawing attention to themselves over this incident will make people question their genetics. Could have just hid everything, but nope decided to merc 1,500 people instead

That's a dumb move to make if your intention is to erase someone from history.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

That's a dumb move to make if your intention is to erase someone from history.

That's what he told her before she was put into the I Have No Mouth but I Must Scream box, for extra torture points. He's not going to admit she really got to him, otherwise she could end up thinking about how great her plan was and being smug in her box

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rutibex posted:

That's what he told her before she was put into the I Have No Mouth but I Must Scream box, for extra torture points. He's not going to admit she really got to him, otherwise she could end up thinking about how great her plan was and being smug in her box

It would have been better to lie to her whole family how she had a tragic accident at work

Slipped on a banana peel at work
Killed during a gender reveal party
Crushed during a false fire alarm panic @ a furry convention

then let her deal with how her family thought she had died in an embarrassing way.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Like, almost 1500 people die every day from COVID in just America.

Less than 1600 people in an Empire of trillions probably isn't even a percentage of the people Empire's security forces kill in a day...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
With just a flick of my wrist, everyone you've ever known will be told that you farted yourself to death, and the farts were so bad that no one could recover your body which will explain why there won't be anything to bury. And it's done.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I think not knowing one single thing, or even hearing about, the source material is a requirement. Then maybe, just maybe, you might be able to enjoy it.

Can confirm. Read the first trilogy the week before the season finale, and now I have two competing perspectives in my head whenever I think about the show. One from before I read them that goes "well, this is a little dumb but it's an interesting premise" and then another that just goes "what the gently caress what the fuccckkk" over and over.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I just finished the final episode. Overall I thought the season was alright for a TV show but I don't think it's doing Foundation justice. Book spoilers below.

My single biggest issue is Hari coming to them not as a recording but as a sentient simulacrum. In Foundation, he prerecords everything before he dies, because he knows in a general sense what is going to happen - the Foundation watching these realizes that yes, he predicted these crises. In the show they already know them as 'Seldon Crises (TM) and it's more a puzzle to figure out than anything - and then Hari shows up, tells them they solved most of the problem, and helps them with the rest. Psychohistory is garbage then, if he has to interfere to keep it on the right track.

My favorite part in the books is when the Mule shows up. Foundation gathers for the next Seldon recording, expecting that he knows of this, and when his recording doesn't match what's going on, everybody flips out because it's something he hadn't foreseen. I don't think you can have that scene now, and I'm sad.

Seldon should be dead, not still actively working to change human history.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like, the whole gimmick of the show is "it's an epic that takes place over many hundreds of years; yet it's a show so we have to be able to use the same cast of actors"

The Cleons are one clever solution to that problem. They did a neat job with that.

Hari/Gaal/Salvor are a not-clever solution to that problem. They did a very bad job with that.

Like wtf is even the point of the Foundation if Hari can just keep being alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valen
Oct 1, 2009
I’m looking forward to next season when Hober shows up on Synnax looking for their mom Salvor and grandma Gaal. Then cousin Bel pops by with aunt Bayta to say hi. (Out of context first names that I’m sure will be changed significantly in the show but still erring on the side of caution).

I’m not even trying to say that an adaptation of Foundation can’t change the material any because I think the books would make for boring tv if done completely 1:1 accurately but man, this season was rough. Making all of the main characters trying to save humanity related to each other and hanging out together is a bold counterpoint to an empire stagnating like the Habsburgs.