Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

X JAKK posted:

Donkey Kong Country 2 is harder than Dark Souls.

That's a game for little babies

Whereas DKC2 is a game for men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Icochet posted:

In everspace 2 I have to shoot nerdy ray guns at enemies to take out their shields before I can grind them down with my macho machine guns. gently caress shields.

Those are energy shields, by FAR the lamest type of shield. Unfair to judge all shields like that

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I can see Cranky Kong liking Demon’s Souls imported before it was a hit.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

limp_cheese posted:

Old World is a better Civ game than Civ 6

Im a huge civ fan and I never heard of Old World and I'm downloading it now, it looks good.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rise of Nations is better than Age of Empires

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

a creepy colon posted:

Rise of Nations is better than Age of Empires

Truth. Rise of legends is also highly underrated

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

a creepy colon posted:

Im a huge civ fan and I never heard of Old World and I'm downloading it now, it looks good.

It really is and has come a long way. Keep in mind its one of those games that has been in "early access" for about a year but they have added a ton of poo poo and improved everything since I've grabbed it.

The Order system takes some getting used to but I really like how it makes you decide between using them on war, economy, or politics. It takes an absolute poo poo ton of orders to do all 3 and even end game when I had that poo poo ton of Orders I was still having to choose between things because my military was gigantic.

I would also suggest playing every game with event level set to high.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Harrow posted:

I think shields are cool and more games should have cool shields. Also cool perfect block mechanics and shield bashes and stuff.

Bloodborne is my favorite FromSoft game but I also think shields are cool in the games that have them

i played a gunlancer on monster hunter world and it was pretty rad no-selling attacks from huge monsters later in the game

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
But normal lance gets to make the shield glow when it no-sells attacks!
I thought gunlance was really cool in concept but the fact that it didn't have the normal lance's parry/counter skills was pretty disappointing.

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I get people enjoy dkc games but I just found them more frustrating than fun.

Aquatic ambience makes me wet.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

yeah but the gunlance goes boom

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Funky Kong was my best man true story

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

This is probably gonna sound dumb but I started playing Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot and I feel like its moving through the story too fast. The part where Goku travels along Snake Way and trains with King Kai takes like 3 minutes of game time. The part where they fight the Saibamen and Yamcha dies takes like 2 minutes. I know those are both classic examples of the insane padding that the anime had but also I kinda want that padding in a video game like this so I can wander around and beat up some easy enemies.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
at least they included the driving test episode :p

the combat in kakarot was really unsatisfying, i miss the old budokai games. it seems any dbz game that doesnt mainly focus on one on one combat just doesnt quite get it right.

e: ohhhhhh you want to wander around fighting easy enemies huh? WELL YOU SIR ARE IN LUCK

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 20, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

is pepsi ok posted:

This is probably gonna sound dumb but I started playing Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot and I feel like its moving through the story too fast. The part where Goku travels along Snake Way and trains with King Kai takes like 3 minutes of game time. The part where they fight the Saibamen and Yamcha dies takes like 2 minutes. I know those are both classic examples of the insane padding that the anime had but also I kinda want that padding in a video game like this so I can wander around and beat up some easy enemies.

Snake road should be like the ladder scene in MGS3, just 15 minutes of running on a road with nothing else happening

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
As an overall game I prefer the original Devil May Cry, even now. 3 and 5 (and Bayonetta) are a lot of fun to play but they don't have that same blend of isolation, a useful but limited toolkit, scarcity, and mistakes being punished heavily that make progression feel so good. When you beat the game you're forced into a higher difficulty automatically with whatever you had before, so it expects you to get good and makes picking up missed blue orbs riskier. I wouldn't say it's the best design decision that respects your time but it's a clear vision for how the game should go and makes each playthrough have a unique feel (normal, hard, very hard).

There's a lot of obtuse bullshit like the blue orb challenge rooms but I feel like they really hit on something in that midway point evolving Resident Evil on the way to the over the top stylish character action games.

I guess I could try Dark Souls but I'm not sure mechanically they go for quite the same thing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

is pepsi ok posted:

I've never watched dragonballs. I've considered trying kakarot as a way to learn the story but have been told to avoid it. You seem like an expert, please tell me more.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

QuarkJets posted:

Snake road should be like the ladder scene in MGS3, just 15 minutes of running on a road with nothing else happening

The best part of the ladder scene is if you just stop climbing and wait for the song to end, it’s like ten feet long.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
When my brother watched the first dubbed version on DragonBall, Snake Road was like 2 weeks of daily episodes. It became an inside joke when he was on his 3rd rewatch.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
Recently developed unpopular opinion: having one or two video game nights in a week makes gaming more enjoyable than, say, seven.

No, really.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gaming once or twice a week is a fun diversion. Gaming 7 days a week is called depression

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Clowner posted:

Recently developed unpopular opinion: having one or two video game nights in a week makes gaming more enjoyable than, say, seven.

No, really.

Probably not actually unpopular

Unpopular among Serious Gamers (tm), maybe. But not most people

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I thought Kakarot was pretty fun actually. The story and missions were super boring but the boss fights were fun and I don't agree that it has bad combat in fact the combat is the high point of the game. It's got a very unique kind of fighting. Between flying all around, flashing here and there, all the special moves it's pretty good

That being said I did get bored eventually and never finished the game so...

The story and rpg elements are really what bored me

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Unpopular opinion: there should be a game called Krillin where you can never win any fight and each day ends with you crying in the shower tugging your tiny pud

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

QuarkJets posted:

Probably not actually unpopular

Unpopular among Serious Gamers (tm), maybe. But not most people

Haha you're probably right. But for me... I played video games an awful lot from ages, like, 6-30 (mostly older games after I finished high school, like diablo 2 and civilization 3, that I replayed for years). Then I got away from it entirely for several years. Then my girlfriend brought her ps4 with her when she moved in and I was absolutely blown away with the modern blockbuster games (became a very serious God of War player, in particular, among a few others like Tsushima, HZD, and RDR2) and January to October this year it took all my free time until I realized I wasn't enjoying it as much since it started to feel like I had a "responsibility" to play through the games I had bought. So I scaled back and now video game nights ( Wednesday and Thursday nights, woo) are a very welcome treat and thus balance has been restored :)

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

QuarkJets posted:

Unpopular opinion: there should be a game called Krillin where you can never win any fight and each day ends with you crying in the shower tugging your tiny pud
Isnt that what DBZ Breakers basically is?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

You can talk trash on Krillin but he is probably the world's most powerful regular human. its not his fault he can't keep up with the super powered alien races.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i played DBZ: the Legacy of Goku without being aware of the earlier stuff in DBZ's story and snake road was impossibly boring

last year during lockdown i actually read the manga for DB/Z when poo poo was slow at work and there's sooooo much less padding, it turns it into an actually pretty fun fightmans story

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Clowner posted:

Haha you're probably right. But for me... I played video games an awful lot from ages, like, 6-30 (mostly older games after I finished high school, like diablo 2 and civilization 3, that I replayed for years). Then I got away from it entirely for several years. Then my girlfriend brought her ps4 with her when she moved in and I was absolutely blown away with the modern blockbuster games (became a very serious God of War player, in particular, among a few others like Tsushima, HZD, and RDR2) and January to October this year it took all my free time until I realized I wasn't enjoying it as much since it started to feel like I had a "responsibility" to play through the games I had bought. So I scaled back and now video game nights ( Wednesday and Thursday nights, woo) are a very welcome treat and thus balance has been restored :)

Same basically, I played a lot of games throughout college and grad school but in my 30s there just wasn't enough time to play more than a few games per year. Hollow Knight and Rimworld were maybe my bingiest. I'm playing Subnautica right now, like maybe twice a week

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Caesar Saladin posted:

You can talk trash on Krillin but he is probably the world's most powerful regular human. its not his fault he can't keep up with the super powered alien races.

Also he has a hot cyborg wife.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

She's an android

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Gynoid.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also he has a hot cyborg wife.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yes

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

krillian is 2 feet tall and has no nose, yet he is able to smell things. he is clearly an alien or a demon or something, same with tien.

the strongest human is Yamcha :colbert:

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

This better not awaken something in me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rutibex posted:

krillian is 2 feet tall and has no nose, yet he is able to smell things. he is clearly an alien or a demon or something, same with tien.

He beat Bacterian when he was reminded he doesn't have a nose, though

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

yamcha gets cucked by 5'2 vegeta lmao

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Gaius Marius posted:

Gaming once or twice a week is a fun diversion. Gaming 7 days a week is called depression

This. I gamed every free moment during the first year of the pandemic and I'm not going to fault anyone for dealing with that poo poo however they saw fit, but when I got laid off I had to stop myself and get another job or I'd have wallowed in my own filth until I got kicked out of my place. Playing a few nights a week is much saner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Krillin games 7 nights a week, he exclusively plays anime dating sims