Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

THE BAR posted:

What does Bidenesque even mean? I can't name a single identifying policy of that man.

Halloween Jack posted:

Look water-fat,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I can't believe I had to learn that this existed from the RIP lowtax thread:

https://calvinanddune.tumblr.com/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lincoln posted:

Yeah, check out the Riftwar saga by Raymond Feist. It’s fantasy, not Sci-fi, but the world-building is deep and subtle. Very high-quality writing. The three novels are Magician (split into two novels, usually), Silverthorn, and Darkness at Sethanon.

I bounced right off the first book. It's not well written at all.

Easy answer for sure quality: Ursula Le Guin. I think Left Hand of Darkness did a great job showing the deep level of creativity and world building you see in Dune.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It's a different kind of world building but I really like the Malazan Book of the Fallen and it has like 20 books sprawling all over 200,000 years of history

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 21, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

re: world building i recommend gene wolfe. book of the new sun and and book of the long sun are both fascinating series' and i think any fan of the world building in the dune books would enjoy what he does

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Earwicker posted:

re: world building i recommend gene wolfe. book of the new sun and and book of the long sun are both fascinating series' and i think any fan of the world building in the dune books would enjoy what he does

Particularly the natural by-the-wayside nature of letting the reader in verrrry slowly but through awesome AHA moments. Like the currency in the Book of the Long Sun being these golden cards with intricate patterns on them that turn out to be circuit boards cannibalized from the generation ship the entire story is set on

E: I think Gene Wolfe matches Herbert's tone and pacing well too. Also that's a serious spoiler so don't click if you haven't read them yet and plan to

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Gene Wolfes problem is that he's a decent enough writer that when he describes things like people having fights with giant razor-sharp leaves it just reveals the ridiculousness, frank is a bad enough writer with his ahhh-h-h-h-h-h and his Could he be the Kwisatz Haderach? Jessica expectorated internally that it makes the bonkers poo poo endearing

e: what im trying to say is that Gene Wolfe could never come up with a word as awfully genius as beefswelling

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
If you're into desert planet ecologies the whole rgb mars trilogy is quite good tho I admit I didn't finish it for reasons unknown. But the first 1,5 books were good

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

has anyone itt read any of herbert's non-dune books or series? my dad had one with books called destination void and the jesus incident that seemed to be mostly about ai and clones and an ocean planet called pandora. i tried it as a teenager but couldnt get into it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The dosadi experiment is good and weird

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Re worldbuilding, maybe some of Jack Vance's series, like Planet of Adventure and Demon Princes, or even Dying Earth.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Earwicker posted:

has anyone itt read any of herbert's non-dune books or series? my dad had one with books called destination void and the jesus incident that seemed to be mostly about ai and clones and an ocean planet called pandora. i tried it as a teenager but couldnt get into it

None of them are as good as Dune, but there is some neat stuff in there, I enjoyed the destination Void series. It has crazy ecology and superhumans.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

niethan posted:

If you're into desert planet ecologies the whole rgb mars trilogy is quite good tho I admit I didn't finish it for reasons unknown. But the first 1,5 books were good

I think I read the first two of those, though I was pretty young and don't think I got a lot of it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Blue Mars (book 2) has one of the most incredible non-action sequences, my favorite part of the whole trilogy is just a guy born on Mars visiting Earth for the first time and being assaulted with the light of the sun, the heat and humidity, the water, and just LIFE teeming everywhere. It was seriously almost a religious experience for me that made me appreciate this world from a whole new perspective.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Worldbuilding is why nearly all popular speculative fiction is garbage now. Wolfe is a genius because he can actually write prose.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Rgb Mars has the honor of having one of the most infuriatingly shitheaded cast of protagonists ever written, except it's still good

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Earwicker posted:

Destination Void is pretty standard insane Frank Herbert stuff that feels a little dry-run for God Emperor at points. The Jesus Incident and to a lesser extent The Lazarus Factor are a huge transparent influence on SMAC. I didnt finish the 4th book in that yet but one day.

Hellstrom's Hive is pretty gripping in a 'oh geez oh god' sort of way with some proto fleshdancer stuff/clear influence for the hive in SMAC.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lincoln posted:

Yeah, check out the Riftwar saga by Raymond Feist. It’s fantasy, not Sci-fi, but the world-building is deep and subtle. Very high-quality writing. The three novels are Magician (split into two novels, usually), Silverthorn, and Darkness at Sethanon.

Remember when Tomas finds the Valheru armor and when he puts it on he grows huge and his raw machismo makes elven female pussies so wet they can't resist his sexual abuse

...yeah

You can tell that these characters were created in Feist's dungeons and dragons group which he readily admits.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

glad to see Ursula k LeGuin and Gene Wolfe name dropped itt. I have book of the new sun sitting on my shelf... I'll get to it as soon as I finish dune, I promise!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

Hellstrom's Hive. top notch sci fi horrorshow.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Winifred Madgers posted:

Blue Mars (book 2) has one of the most incredible non-action sequences, my favorite part of the whole trilogy is just a guy born on Mars visiting Earth for the first time and being assaulted with the light of the sun, the heat and humidity, the water, and just LIFE teeming everywhere. It was seriously almost a religious experience for me that made me appreciate this world from a whole new perspective.

It's a great sequence, isn't it.
Have you read KSR's Aurora? There's a really interesting contrast there, but I don't want to spoil it either.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tree Bucket posted:

It's a great sequence, isn't it.
Have you read KSR's Aurora? There's a really interesting contrast there, but I don't want to spoil it either.

I haven't, I've read several others of his books though and he's a really talented writer, one of my favorites when I'm in the mood for something that rises well above entertaining schlock.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ror posted:

Denis please use a scientifically accurate voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTkF8tomobA
legit thought this was a Mitchell & Webb sketch for far longer than justified

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

legit thought this was a Mitchell & Webb sketch for far longer than justified

You can't convince me it's not

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tactlessbastard posted:

Rgb Mars has the honor of having one of the most infuriatingly shitheaded cast of protagonists ever written, except it's still good

That's why I couldn't finish it. I couldn't spend my lesure time with those people.

Why won't my autocorrect fix leasure

Leisure

There is it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Earwicker posted:

The Dune series isn't Herbert's best work. Dune itself is great, but Destination: Void, Helstrom's Hive, and Whipping Star just to name three are better that (at least) any of the Dune sequels. Destination: Void is a challenge to build a true AI or die, and leads into the Pandora cycle which combines ecology with spirituality the same way Dune remixed ecology and politics. Helstrom's is straight horror, and deeply effective at it; you get some proto-Tleilaxu poo poo like "reproductive stumps". Creepy as hell. Whipping Star is wonderfully bizarre, and has some short stories and The Dosadi Experiment as sequels; Dosadi is about an experiment in creating supersoldiers that succeeds too well.

When you give up on the Dune sequels, Herbert still has more of the good stuff.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

kalel posted:

glad to see Ursula k LeGuin and Gene Wolfe name dropped itt. I have book of the new sun sitting on my shelf... I'll get to it as soon as I finish dune, I promise!

Also Karl Schroeder. Ventus and the whole Sun of Suns series are both pretty fuckin' great.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010

kiimo posted:

Remember when Tomas finds the Valheru armor and when he puts it on he grows huge and his raw machismo makes elven female pussies so wet they can't resist his sexual abuse

...yeah

You can tell that these characters were created in Feist's dungeons and dragons group which he readily admits.

what

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

mllaneza posted:

Helstrom's is straight horror, and deeply effective at it; you get some proto-Tleilaxu poo poo like "reproductive stumps". Creepy as hell.

wanna know more about those stumps

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mister Speaker posted:

ya know what an axolotl tank is right? imagine the real world version of that.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Mister Speaker posted:

hellstrom's hive is a gripping horror show i read all of it in a day because aaaaaa

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Ramc posted:

hellstrom's hive is a gripping horror show i read all of it in a day because aaaaaa

:same:

it was so good and I couldn't put it down but also fuuuuuuuucking hell

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they took it off HBO. :mad:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i just thought... we had more time...

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

euphronius posted:

I think you missed a lot of what was going in the movie wrt to the the voice esp the thopter scene which went exactly how you wanted it to be

It’s ok it’s a subtle movie that demands a lot of attention

I really liked the way the the Lynch version handled Jessica's use of the Voice in that particular scene. Jessica (speaking normally, maybe even a little seductively), "There's no need to" (switching to the Voice) "FIGHT OVER ME".

Azathoth Prime fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 23, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Ingmar terdman posted:

A week ago I watched dunc and spicediver back to back and I honestly think that Lynch has more verbatim and semi-verbatim book lines. Dunc still feels much more like the book though

I agree completely. I'd been struggling to describe how I feel about the differences between the films and you've summarized it nicely.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mister Speaker posted:

Buddy, they won't let ME..

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
I am cursed t o wander the scorched sand hell that is Australia so I used my 1 free token on Audible because my attention span post pandemic is shot.

I had a hearty chuckle as my friend Chani (pro Cha!nee vs the audio book pron. CHAYne) but named for the same character because her folks were exaxtly that era of hippie turbo nerds. She went on to name her late and lovely dog Feyd which was very :kimchi: and after listening to the book I finally realized where that particular refrence was.

Which also as far as pop culture refrencing Dune - I was like Gieldi Prime... where had I heard that before... Gieldi Primes is an early Grimes album. Suddenly things make a lot more sense about her (also despite that the album does slap).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

lt_kennedy posted:

I am cursed t o wander the scorched sand hell that is Australia so I used my 1 free token on Audible because my attention span post pandemic is shot.

I had a hearty chuckle as my friend Chani (pro Cha!nee vs the audio book pron. CHAYne) but named for the same character because her folks were exaxtly that era of hippie turbo nerds. She went on to name her late and lovely dog Feyd which was very :kimchi: and after listening to the book I finally realized where that particular refrence was.

Which also as far as pop culture refrencing Dune - I was like Gieldi Prime... where had I heard that before... Gieldi Primes is an early Grimes album. Suddenly things make a lot more sense about her (also despite that the album does slap).

Yep.
God created Arrakisustralian cinematic release schedules to test the faithful