Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i wouldn't really want stellaris to have one single campaign map like the other pdx games but i do wish there was an official tool to create a scenario in-game. sometimes i want to play it like a 4x and other times i find myself really wishing for asymmetrical starts with pre-existing GPs and OPMs and all that kind of thing

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want Stellaris but designed with the same ideology as V3. Detailed economic/political/diplomatic focus, not ship design and order micro.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I want Stellaris but designed with the same ideology as V3. Detailed economic/political/diplomatic focus, not ship design and order micro.

This, but actually I just want V3

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

genericnick posted:

Yeah same. Very hyped.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Jazerus posted:

i wouldn't really want stellaris to have one single campaign map like the other pdx games but i do wish there was an official tool to create a scenario in-game. sometimes i want to play it like a 4x and other times i find myself really wishing for asymmetrical starts with pre-existing GPs and OPMs and all that kind of thing

That's why I keep saying it as an extra option. I don't think there should always be a constant predefined game state. In EU2, they had a Shattered World start, where there were like 7 or so countries, and they each get a single county and can expand from there.

Its fine if the game remains a randomized game, but it'd be nice if there was something that fleshed out the 'lore' of the game. I understand not wanting to make a full story mode and put those resources into it, but at the same time, somebody had to come up with the default species, and someone makes new default species with every release pack. I don't think I've seen more than 3 or 4 of the default races show up in my games over the years.

If I wasn't so afraid of copyright issues or whatever, I'd release my big sci-fi empire pack. I'm not sure the 'randomized space empires' we are competing with is actually as important to the players of the game. When you start a game next to the Empire, the Klingons, and Skynet, you know what kind of game you are gonna get. Who even knows what the Exalted Regime of Hariss is about? Does it matter? What benefit does my next playthru have, if I get a full understanding of a totally randomized empire I will never see again?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
My big problem with the exploration in Stellaris is that I get a lot of the same events every game, and there are only a few choices on each event and I know what a lot of them will do. That's somewhat inevitable given that I have hundreds of hours in the game, but it feels like more event variety would be good.

I think I read that they're working on expanding the event choices though, so that'll probably help.

AQE
Nov 5, 2011

Grevlek posted:

That's why I keep saying it as an extra option. I don't think there should always be a constant predefined game state. In EU2, they had a Shattered World start, where there were like 7 or so countries, and they each get a single county and can expand from there.

Its fine if the game remains a randomized game, but it'd be nice if there was something that fleshed out the 'lore' of the game. I understand not wanting to make a full story mode and put those resources into it, but at the same time, somebody had to come up with the default species, and someone makes new default species with every release pack. I don't think I've seen more than 3 or 4 of the default races show up in my games over the years.

If I wasn't so afraid of copyright issues or whatever, I'd release my big sci-fi empire pack. I'm not sure the 'randomized space empires' we are competing with is actually as important to the players of the game. When you start a game next to the Empire, the Klingons, and Skynet, you know what kind of game you are gonna get. Who even knows what the Exalted Regime of Hariss is about? Does it matter? What benefit does my next playthru have, if I get a full understanding of a totally randomized empire I will never see again?

You always mostly know what the randomized empires are, because they're mostly just their AI personality.

Though I suppose "The Exalted Regime of Hariss is Hegemonic Imperalists, so they'll play like Hegemonic Imperalists" might not land as well as "The Centauri will play like Centauri"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah one of my big issues with Stellaris is all empires are kinda the same and play the same and every map is the same. Technically every empire and every system is randomized, but sometimes the more random something is the more the same it is. It's like a pile of sand, you can shovel it up and dump it over and over and technically it's different every time but it's always the same very familiar pile of sand.

Ultimately every game just comes down to big annoying fleet doomstacks and tedious ground invasions and an economy that manages to find the absolute worst sweet spot between "so complicated it eats up all your cpu cycles and the AI is hopeless at figuring it out" and "There's always a single clear optimal choice but you have to do it by hand"

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Stellaris is objectively a good game nowadays but still the way it gets so close to being an interesting story-telling game with all the random events, relics, spacemonsters, etc. annoys me way more than it should. Without the shackle of the subjectively boring 4x layer I still feel it would be far more fun as a grand exploration game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love some big Dune / Emperor of the Fading Suns sort of vibe game made by paradox.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm getting back into Stellaris are any of the dlc must have cuz I kinda don't feel like dropping $$ rn

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah one of my big issues with Stellaris is all empires are kinda the same and play the same and every map is the same. Technically every empire and every system is randomized, but sometimes the more random something is the more the same it is. It's like a pile of sand, you can shovel it up and dump it over and over and technically it's different every time but it's always the same very familiar pile of sand.

I dunno, there are differences in empires, but it tends to be the big stuff of which there are only a few flavours, like if they're genocidal or if they're a criminal syndicate. But yeah, stuff like "am I next to fanatic pacifist materialists who prefer ocean worlds or fanatic spiritualist xenophobes who live on desert planets" don't feel particularly different.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Gort posted:

I dunno, there are differences in empires, but it tends to be the big stuff of which there are only a few flavours, like if they're genocidal or if they're a criminal syndicate. But yeah, stuff like "am I next to fanatic pacifist materialists who prefer ocean worlds or fanatic spiritualist xenophobes who live on desert planets" don't feel particularly different.

As such, just make a Space-France and call it a day :D

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Grevlek posted:

As such, just make a Space-France and call it a day :D

With aliens that are are literally big blue blobs?

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

genericnick posted:

I think it would be cool to build the fleet comp, fund massive dreadnaught production/development, but then not actually have to drive the fleet around.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gort posted:

My big problem with the exploration in Stellaris is that I get a lot of the same events every game, and there are only a few choices on each event and I know what a lot of them will do. That's somewhat inevitable given that I have hundreds of hours in the game, but it feels like more event variety would be good.

I think I read that they're working on expanding the event choices though, so that'll probably help.

Well and most of the events have an objectively correct option that you want to pick every time. It would be interesting if you sometimes wanted to pick different options depending on the empire setup (and the forcing civic options are indeed good), but it rarely comes up.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

verbal enema posted:

I'm getting back into Stellaris are any of the dlc must have cuz I kinda don't feel like dropping $$ rn

this is a little out of date since i haven't played stellaris in a while. i know plantoids and humanoids now have game effects (or might have them in an upcoming patch? idk, like i said, been a while)

Cease to Hope posted:

In roughly descending order of essential-ness:

Utopia is huge. Ascension perks are such a big part of the game. Hive Minds are fine but kind of disappointing, since there's so much of the game they just don't engage with, but they have so little worth mentioning that's special for them only. Megastructures are probably the best late-game addition of any DLC to date, and while the other DLCs have megastructures too, this has the really neat ones. Utopia is really the only Old Gods-like DLC that I'd recommend every Stellaris player has, even if Hives are no great shakes.

Synthetic Dawn has one of the most fun single playstyles - robot hive minds - but basically nothing else to recommend it. They have a very different growth curve, but unlike Hive Minds, they do get to play around with the regular rules for bio pops, too, depending on your particular strategy. If you want to play robot hives or the borg or the recurring comic book villains who collect people to put them in a zoo, get this DLC! But you'll never notice you don't have it if you don't play a robot civ.

Distant Stars and Ancient Relics are both more stuff for your science ships to find while exploring. Neither of them is mindblowing, both of them are fine additions. If you were only going to get one, I'd say Ancient Relics, because its signature feature (archaeology) has good variety throughout the game. On the other hand, DS's L-Cluster doesn't feel like it goes anywhere interesting, and makes figuring out the geography of the galaxy a pain.

Leviathans is where I'd start questioning the value for money. The leviathans and enclaves give you stuff on the map to care about and that does help with how same-y the map can be in Stellaris. However, the War in Heaven is counterintuitive and powerfully unfun.

Apocalypse is weird because, on one hand, most of the things it adds are stupid chaff, but it adds a few quality of life things that are game-changing. In particular, Colossuses (the death star from Star Wars) are dumb and badly designed and not at all entertaining after you blow up a planet once, but they let you get a total war casus belli for the endgame, so you can actually win games before you die of old age. I can't really recommend this DLC but realize you're playing the game differently from most people if you don't have it. That said, Nemesis also adds a total war casus belli you can unlock, too.

Nemesis adds some gimmicky stuff you'll do once. Becoming the Crisis is funny but too OP to do repeatedly, and becoming the Emperor is only practical deep into the victory-lap stage of the game. The espionage rework in this expansion is really terrible, but the terrible parts of it were in the free update so whatever. Espionage isn't a system you'll fool with very often.

Federations is middling. It completely reworks Federations into a series of radioboxes and sliders that you can adjust over time to gain more control over your Federation. The AI is very passive so this is just making diplomatic play stronger, but the vanilla federations are very boring and bad, so I can't really fault that. It also adds the Galactic Senate, which I find to be a bunch of very boring event spam that goes nowhere. A lot of its systems feel incomplete without Nemesis; they really do feel like they were developed at the same time.

Lithoids and Necroids species packs add a specific new playstyle for rock people and undead people, along with some portraits. The undead portraits can be used on any bio civ, while the rock portraits have to be lithoids. They're both fiddly variations on the basic rules, screwing around with the rules for pop growth/creation. Currently, that's the most important part of minmaxing Stellaris right now, so that can be a draw for either of these. (Lithoids was OP for a long while but has been reined in, while Necroids are still really powerful.) I don't think they really land for flavor. Necroids are just kind of blandly strong, and the only really interesting Lithoid variation is the kill-everyone version because it can eat planets. These are cheap, though, and worth at least a playthrough or two.

MegaCorps sucks. Corporate civs suck, Ecumenopolises are not interesting, the Caravaneers are endless event spam, the slave market is silly OP in a very boring way, crime corp civs are a huge pain to play against but also terrible to play. This is the bad DLC, give this one a skip.

Humanoids and Plantoids portraits are just art packs. If you want the portraits or the ships, buy the DLC. You can see what they look like in-game without buying it. There's nothing else to this.

Cobra Lionfist
Jun 4, 2013
Something I thought of to help differentiate the empires and their preferred planet types. What if you could share some systems. Like I'm desert people and you're ocean people. On our border I have a system with an ocean planet. You can ask to settle in return for favours or whatever. Maybe am influence cost depending on how far it is from your borders, and I get some of that influence.

Couple this with a habitability hit for an empire depending on their founder species. Nearly every game habitability becomes a non issue due to different species you pick up on the way, or entering a migration treaty.

It opens up lots of possibilities.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

It worked that way at release and it was just sort of messy.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

The Prussian accomplishments in the Seven Years War are legitimately impressive, although the armies they were up against were just Austria, Russia, and France (for exactly one battle on their own, admittedly a masterful win for Frederick. The two later major battles saw France face coalition armies of not just the Prussians, but substantial forces from Britain and Hanover as well). I could be mistaken but I don't think Spain participated in the German theatre at all. Prussia was also on the brink of defeat before the Russian Empress died, and her successor just took Russia's ball and went home. British financial support was also crucial for their success, Prussia could not have fought the war without those subsidies.

While it was a stunning military success for Prussia, it's not really a thing that gets repeated outside of the reign of Frederick the Great, up until the General Staff era which is much more a Vicky thing than an EU thing. And the Prussians get absolutely wrecked by Napoleon on multiple occasions, it's hardly a continuous record of success or anything.
Although they lost the war they punched way above their weight in world war one. They fought off Russia, Britain, and France for four years while shackled to a couple of corpses and probably would have won if they hadn't provoked the Americans into joining.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

Although they lost the war they punched way above their weight in world war one. They fought off Russia, Britain, and France for four years while shackled to a couple of corpses and probably would have won if they hadn't provoked the Americans into joining.

Wehraboos are really cringey and of course are perpetuating Nazi myths about Prussian dominance, but swinging all the way in the other direction and saying actually the Prussians sucked and got lucky most of the time is ignorant of history as well. Their superpowers in EU4 are unearned and only there because of one good king, but during Victoria's time period, they were consistently high quality in both enlisted discipline and a free thinking officer corps. Their performance against Austria, France and then the Entente in a nearly solo effort is testament to that. I have no problem with Prussians getting bonuses for military in a game like Victoria.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love some big Dune / Emperor of the Fading Suns sort of vibe game made by paradox.

This x1000

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Meanwhile in my multiplayer megacampaign:

Yes, Norway is in Asia.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Wehraboos are really cringey and of course are perpetuating Nazi myths about Prussian dominance, but swinging all the way in the other direction and saying actually the Prussians sucked and got lucky most of the time is ignorant of history as well. Their superpowers in EU4 are unearned and only there because of one good king, but during Victoria's time period, they were consistently high quality in both enlisted discipline and a free thinking officer corps. Their performance against Austria, France and then the Entente in a nearly solo effort is testament to that. I have no problem with Prussians getting bonuses for military in a game like Victoria.

Great War Germany has almost double France's population on its own, while Russia is a moribund corpse and the entire british army is three dudes and a feisty corgi. It's also fielding two armies that aren't prussian. It's effective but it's not superpowered. Rather, its success is pretty obviously tied to Germany having more soldiers and resources than its enemies, at least until anglo-american empire is brought to bear.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

just in case johnan sees this: it would be pretty epic and win if the hoi2 engine code were to be open-sourced

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yes, Norway is in Asia.

The three continents are basically 'Christian', 'Muslim', and 'Other' anyway.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Welcome to Heresy Island!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Great War Germany has almost double France's population on its own, while Russia is a moribund corpse and the entire british army is three dudes and a feisty corgi. It's also fielding two armies that aren't prussian. It's effective but it's not superpowered. Rather, its success is pretty obviously tied to Germany having more soldiers and resources than its enemies, at least until anglo-american empire is brought to bear.

You're really underestimating how surprising the performance of the German army was to everyone at the time. Everyone thought that the French and British amries had caught up to the German in quality and while it was known that the Russians still lagged, it was thought that the combination of French investment, Russian domestic growth and lessons learned in the Russo-Japanese war had greatly narrowed the gap.

That Germany would be on track to beat those three powers nearly single handedly in a long drawn out war despite Austria-Hungary's near complete collapse was something no one would have predicted.

And if it weren't for the US joining the Entente would have lost. The British had run out of collateral for American loans and while they would have been able to continue financing their own war effort, they would not have been able to continue subsidizing the French effort and their economy would have collapsed.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

just in case johnan sees this: it would be pretty epic and win if the hoi2 engine code were to be open-sourced

agreed OP

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charlz Guybon posted:

You're really underestimating how surprising the performance of the German army was to everyone at the time. Everyone thought that the French and British amries had caught up to the German in quality and while it was known that the Russians still lagged, it was thought that the combination of French investment, Russian domestic growth and lessons learned in the Russo-Japanese war had greatly narrowed the gap.

That Germany would be on track to beat those three powers nearly single handedly in a long drawn out war despite Austria-Hungary's near complete collapse was something no one would have predicted.

And if it weren't for the US joining the Entente would have lost. The British had run out of collateral for American loans and while they would have been able to continue financing their own war effort, they would not have been able to continue subsidizing the French effort and their economy would have collapsed.

You're avoiding Edgar's arguments though. It's true that Germany had a much stronger army than previously thought, but one of the main reasons wasn't because of strong Prussian quality, but in the fact that the Germans trained their reserves as good as their frontline units, because their doctrine was to send everything they had to the front. This is why in 1914 they had manpower to spread everywhere, while the French had their main armies at the front with the reserves, which were a good portion of the mobilised men, sitting way behind the front, only expecting to act in case of emergency.

No one considered the Russian army capable of being a threat in 1914, but they were expected to be a serious danger when it came to defending their homeland. This is why the western pressure for the Russians to attack as soon as the war started was a disaster which murdered two entire armies. It did force Germany to remove vital units from the western front, so their sacrifice wasn't entirely in vain I guess.

Russia destroyed the Austrian army quite handily, but the idea that the allies were this super strong group while the central powers were a joke is honestly ignorant. It's hard as hell to enact a war like the first world war and only three nations were close to competent in doing so.

The Germans were having food problems already as early as 1916 and the more they conquered, the worse it got, meanwhile there's simply nothing the Germans could throw at France that would've knocked them out of the war by then.

Without the Americans, it's possible that the war drags for longer, yes, but that just means the German people would be actively starving at a similar point in time.

And all of this ignores the main, fulcral point that the reason Germany was in such a strong position wasn't because they had RoboCop soldiers, it was a serious industrial development, population numbers, natural resources (and also a history of terrible diplomatic decisions).

I really hate military bonuses on EU or Vic, they're so much more powerful than soft bonuses that they end up railroading a lot of the game (which I guess was the point when it came to EU2 OR Vicky2)

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Honestly I'm just always suprised at the relative competence of the Ottomans in ww1. Given how relatively outclassed they should've been in multiple ways and fronts, that they managed to basically draw even with A-H in the end (dissolved state) is about a good a sendoff as they could reasonably expect

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yes, Norway is in Asia.

Wait, what's this? A full world map generator?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fintilgin posted:

Wait, what's this? A full world map generator?

Made by our GM, (I have my own project but its aimed at more geographically 'realistic' looking maps, I post about in the Game Development megathread) currently its just for our megacampaign but we've (the players) have all been enjoying it immensely and have been suggesting he should collaborate with Idhrendur to add it to the Megacampaign paradox converter project. I'll go tell him people here seem to be impressed with it and hopefully he iterates over it (initially its a bit buggy but I imagine those can be ironed out).

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

This is not even close to true.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

yikes! posted:

This is not even close to true.

yeah, as mentioned above the German economy was in an equally bad shape if not worse; the war didn't end because Americans marched over the Rhine, it ended because Germany collapsed into a revolution because its workers were starving. Tanks were also about to finally crack open trenches as seen in the battle of Cambrai, which happened independently of US involvement. Germans were far behind Britain in tank development.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lum_ posted:

yeah, as mentioned above the German economy was in an equally bad shape if not worse; the war didn't end because Americans marched over the Rhine, it ended because Germany collapsed into a revolution because its workers were starving. Tanks were also about to finally crack open trenches as seen in the battle of Cambrai, which happened independently of US involvement. Germans were far behind Britain in tank development.

Though it's not clear to me that France wouldn't also have collapsed into revolution if the war went on without US involvement. No one was having a great time at the end.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

I suspect that providing random people over the internet full access to the pure madness of the economic system without the appropriate protection would have dire consequences. :cthulhu:

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Gentlemen, let's been honest and put aside nationalistic egos: the main (not only) reason Germany lost the 2 world wars (especially WW2) was decided when the U.S.A. entered the wars with its immense industrial/military/call-it-what-you-want capability.
No one could (and still can't these days, but that's another story.....) stand in the long run against the U.S., not by army professionalism (the German Wehrmarcht was at that time the best trained army in the world, especially its officer corps with geniuses like Guderian or Von Manstein) but as I said for the war production .
Obviously, there were secondary reasons for the german fall like the lack of proper naval production (especially battleships) in the 20s/mid 30s before entering the war or the decision to let an agonizing England to breath and open a 2nd huge frontline against the USSR that only a madman like Hitler could decide (and impose) to its officers, etc. etc.
But those are only secondary reasons.......

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Invading the USSR is absolutely NOT a secondary reason lol. Even if the USSR was as weak as the germans thought, operation barbarossa was a terrible plan that was doomed to failure from the beginning, the Japanese high command looked over it and said as much even before the germans invaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Knightsoul posted:

Gentlemen, let's been honest and put aside nationalistic egos:

lol i'm sure there's not a nationalistic ego aspect to you calling the eastern front a secondary reason