Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

RichterIX posted:

This is a wild shot (and you should probably buy a new receiver anyway) but is your TV a TCL by chance? I had trouble with ARC outputting from my TCL r635 if I left the TV speakers on, but if I go into the TV's settings and turn the TV speakers off manually or switch it to HDMI out only it makes it output lossy dolby and DTS correctly.

Edit: I think you also have to choose Dolby and DTS as supported outputs as well

It's an LG CX. Surround sound works on a lot of stuff via ARC but Hulu's Dolby Digital plus doesn't work and the Star Wars and Green Knight 4k Blu-rays come through in stereo. What's odd to me is that I just watched Dune on HBO Max on a PS5 with audio going through ARC and surround sound worked even though the sound lists Dolby Atmos just like the two Blu-rays I mentioned.

The trade off I've made is playing Blu-rays through the ps4 which is hooked up to the receiver directly. This works great but I'm limited to 1080p non HDR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Tacier posted:

I need a bigger TV stand and it’s hard to find a nice looking mid-century one with space for a full size center channel and ventilation for a receiver and game console. I could ditch the center, but I don’t like my floorstanders that much anyway (Klipsch Icon series).

BDI makes excellent media consoles. If I was in the market I'd definitely be looking at them.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Animale posted:

BDI makes excellent media consoles. If I was in the market I'd definitely be looking at them.

If I had $3000 to spend on a TV stand, you better believe I’d get a BDI Corridor. Incredibly nice piece of media furniture, but you pay for it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its truly unreal what people can charge for a bunch of unremarkable materials pieced together

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

codo27 posted:

Its truly unreal what people can charge for a bunch of unremarkable materials pieced together
Good furniture is expensive and a similar console from a furniture company that doesn't know anything about A/V and has fixed shelves, a single 1/2" hole for wires, no ventilation and isn't deep enough for full sized components can cost nearly that much easily. I've had a Salamander Synergy rack for 20 years and it's moved 4 times and it's still a champ. Worth every penny and if I ever do replace it it'll probably be for one of their even nicer models. Also, have you looked at the prices of wood lately?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

qirex posted:

Good furniture is expensive and a similar console from a furniture company that doesn't know anything about A/V and has fixed shelves, a single 1/2" hole for wires, no ventilation and isn't deep enough for full sized components can cost nearly that much easily. I've had a Salamander Synergy rack for 20 years and it's moved 4 times and it's still a champ. Worth every penny and if I ever do replace it it'll probably be for one of their even nicer models. Also, have you looked at the prices of wood lately?

and it’s not like paying a carpenter to build something for you is going to be any cheaper either (or putting in the labor yourself if you want to price out your labor-hours)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I miss the IKEA Oppli

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

qirex posted:

I'm spoiled as my dad is a master carpenter so I just get whatever I want built. And I just got done adding a piece on my house, so you dont have to tell me about the cost of wood. (that said a friend of mine has a mill and cut most of the lumber for us for ridiculously cheap)

Even if the thing is made entirely out of real wood, theres no need for it to be any sort thats extremely pricey or exotic and the Corridor doesn't appear to be anyhow. Not saying its not a great unit, but its hard to defend that price tag for what it is without coming off a bit sounding like Frasier. Rather than the Corridor they ought to call it Diminished Returns because thats the realm most components it houses will probably exist in.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

codo27 posted:

I'm spoiled as my dad is a master carpenter so I just get whatever I want built. And I just got done adding a piece on my house, so you dont have to tell me about the cost of wood. (that said a friend of mine has a mill and cut most of the lumber for us for ridiculously cheap)

It’s you. You’re the millennial from The Onion article who bought their first home at 23 by being frugal, making coffee at home and having their parents give them the $500k deposit.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

codo27 posted:

I built this because I wanted something very specific for audio with cable management, integrated power strip and the dimensions I wanted and I'd say it took about 40 hours of labour and $600 worth of materials (not shown is the $120 worth of 1/4" thick glass shelves), which at a reasonably hourly rate totals about $2k all in. Disposable furniture made out of thick cardboard with vinyl woodgrain has absolutely skewed the perception of what furniture costs.

Also it seems like you are just lucky? Like when someone posts asking what some old pair of speakers are worth and the one guy is like "well I got mine at a garage sale 11 years ago for $5 so that's what they're worth."

DoesNotCompute fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 17, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

It’s you. You’re the millennial from The Onion article who bought their first home at 23 by being frugal, making coffee at home and having their parents give them the $500k deposit.

You couldn't be more wrong. My house is a little rear end 950' sq 60yo bungalow in the middle of nowhere and my mortgage payment is utterly miniscule because of it. And the piece we added wasn't a media room or grand dining hall, it was a 12x20 extension to accommodate my fiancee's business and we went into debt to build it, because we had to.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Man, Costco signed some deals a few years ago. There's a private label version of the new TX-NR6100 called the NR6050 for $499. It lacks Dirac from the higher end models [and THX certification :jerkbag: ] but has 3x 40gbps ports and supports the new consoles. This is probably where all of Onkyo's stock for calendar 2021 ended up.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I wish we got more of that poo poo at Canada Costco.

Does THX even mean anything anymore though now that loving razer owns the trademark?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

qirex posted:

Man, Costco signed some deals a few years ago. There's a private label version of the new TX-NR6100 called the NR6050 for $499. It lacks Dirac from the higher end models [and THX certification :jerkbag: ] but has 3x 40gbps ports and supports the new consoles. This is probably where all of Onkyo's stock for calendar 2021 ended up.

Oh wow, that's awesome. More choices are good. Wonder which one is a better buy between the Denon and Onkyo or if they are pretty much comparable to each other.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

qirex posted:

Some Denons are, specifically the lower end ones [the X1700 is the best one with 3 working 2.1 ports].

To expand on this (receiver for gaming), how are people handling the various image settings? Right now, I have my PC, Switch and PS5 going directly into the TV, meaning I can use slightly different picture settings for each, with a receiver I would lose that functionality. Are people still going directly into the TV with some of their systems when they have a receiver or do they go all in on the receiver and just pick picture settings that are okay for everything, even if it's not 100% following the recommended settings for each?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

codo27 posted:

You couldn't be more wrong. My house is a little rear end 950' sq 60yo bungalow in the middle of nowhere and my mortgage payment is utterly miniscule because of it. And the piece we added wasn't a media room or grand dining hall, it was a 12x20 extension to accommodate my fiancee's business and we went into debt to build it, because we had to.

You have a house.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Incessant Excess posted:

To expand on this (receiver for gaming), how are people handling the various image settings? Right now, I have my PC, Switch and PS5 going directly into the TV, meaning I can use slightly different picture settings for each, with a receiver I would lose that functionality. Are people still going directly into the TV with some of their systems when they have a receiver or do they go all in on the receiver and just pick picture settings that are okay for everything, even if it's not 100% following the recommended settings for each?
I'm doing both, I have my PS4 pro connected directly and everything else through my receiver. I don't use game mode on my tv but I do have different color and processing settings. Since a lot of new receivers have multiple outputs it might be possible to route your game systems to the second output and non-game stuff to the primary one. I've never tried this, though.

A lot of the new amps I'm looking at are ARC only so I've been keeping an eye on switches, the extremely expensive [$499] and ridiculously named HDfury 8k VRRoom seems like the current best option.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

evobatman posted:

You have a house.

This might not be the right thread for making GBS threads on someone for having a house, or having disposable income, or whatever.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Incessant Excess posted:

This was a tough call for me as I also like to have slightly different display settings for each device, but you also lose the ability to use uncompressed surround sound this way unless your TV and receiver support eARC (not just regular ARC). I hate using compressed sound for video games because it adds noticeable audio lag that isn't as apparent in watching movies or TV but obvious in video games.

Fortunately my TV has multiple different display pre-sets you can quickly switch through so I can have everything on the same input and just quickly change the display settings pre-set.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I looked into this a bit more and I'm wondering if this might be a way to get all the various codecs sent to my receiver:

The Z9X is my media player, where I have some movies with a DTS codec that can't be passed through the CX. The VAX is this HDMI audio extractor: https://feintech.eu/en/collections/hdmi/products/vax01202-hdmi-earc-audio-extractor-splitter which, in theory I should be able to use to send the audio directly to the receiver while the video goes to the TV. The PS5 is meant to represent my multiple gaming devices, I just couldn't be bothered to draw them all.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Incessant Excess posted:

I looked into this a bit more and I'm wondering if this might be a way to get all the various codecs sent to my receiver:

The Z9X is my media player, where I have some movies with a DTS codec that can't be passed through the CX. The VAX is this HDMI audio extractor: https://feintech.eu/en/collections/hdmi/products/vax01202-hdmi-earc-audio-extractor-splitter which, in theory I should be able to use to send the audio directly to the receiver while the video goes to the TV. The PS5 is meant to represent my multiple gaming devices, I just couldn't be bothered to draw them all.

I wonder if you'd have sync problems between video and audio when using the ZX9.
Most receivers will let you manually set an offset per source, so perhaps you'd be alright if you do that. But I can promise it'll be a right bastard to set just right.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I am thinking about how I can get audio from my MacBook Air M1 to my logitech Z5500 speakers. They have a toslink input, so I would use an HDMI splitter, but my monitor is DisplayPort only (long story.) It looks like the USB to TOSLINK adapters are really DACs...but I thought using a TOSLINK connector bypasses the dac and would use the DAC on the Z5500? I am confused about this

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Aside from the logical decision to remove all apple products from your existence, I think the easiest thing might be to just get a bluetooth receiver for your speakers. And if you think any of those logitech systems are good, its not too late to get a nice set of real monitors and use those, find a set with connectivity options that will work for you.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I am thinking about how I can get audio from my MacBook Air M1 to my logitech Z5500 speakers. They have a toslink input, so I would use an HDMI splitter, but my monitor is DisplayPort only (long story.) It looks like the USB to TOSLINK adapters are really DACs...but I thought using a TOSLINK connector bypasses the dac and would use the DAC on the Z5500? I am confused about this

Depending on the DAC, you can turn off any equalization it does(direct mode or something like that) and then it would just use the z5500 DAC.

I can't remember if the optical settings for the z5500 have a direct mode, but I don't think they do. It's just stereo, double stereo, movie and music right?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I think so, but the stereo mode just uses the Z5500's internal dac, and I think any cheapo outboard DAC I use to gain a toslink output is going to have a worse dac anyway, so I'm fine with that.

e: Also, taking recommendations on a I-literally-just-need-a-TOSLINK-output cheapo USB DAC.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 22, 2021

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I think so, but the stereo mode just uses the Z5500's internal dac, and I think any cheapo outboard DAC I use to gain a toslink output is going to have a worse dac anyway, so I'm fine with that.

e: Also, taking recommendations on a I-literally-just-need-a-TOSLINK-output cheapo USB DAC.

Grab a Behringer UCA202/222 USB DAC for like $25. I would honestly be surprised if even the Z5500 Logitech's had a better DAC on board, but it has TOSLINK out anyway.

This has been a solved problem for ever.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Holy poo poo, $10 at Sweetwater right now lmao. Thanks, I'll buy one.

I see that it says it's only 16/48, but the DAC in my Z5500 supports 24/96. I wonder if the TOSLINK output on it will support 24/96 anyway since it's still in the digital stage?

If it doesn't, well I only wasted :10bux:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 23, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Holy poo poo, $10 at Sweetwater right now lmao. Thanks, I'll buy one.

I see that it says it's only 16/48, but the DAC in my Z5500 supports 24/96. I wonder if the TOSLINK output on it will support 24/96 anyway since it's still in the digital stage?

If it doesn't, well I only wasted :10bux:

You will NOT be able to distinguish 16/48 from 24/96. You will especially not be able to distinguish them on some Logitech computer speakers, of all things

A lot of pro-level recording and tracking “still” happens in 16/48 and 44, etc.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Not looking to rehash the perennial argument about whether it makes an audible difference, just have a technical question about this particular DAC. (And, fwiw, Audeze LCD-2s are a part of my setup and it would be valuable to have the flexibility to pair that equipment via this toslink.)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Not looking to rehash the perennial argument about whether it makes an audible difference, just have a technical question about this particular DAC. (And, fwiw, Audeze LCD-2s are a part of my setup and it would be valuable to have the flexibility to pair that equipment via this toslink.)

re-Hash 👏🏼 re-Hash 👏🏼 re-Hash 👏🏼 re-Hash 👏🏼

(only bc I’m legitimately curious if anybody can really tell the difference. my last mixer/interface topped out at 48 and I worried I was losing recording fidelity vs 96 but everybody I asked online and in Musician’s Lounge, etc told me not to worry)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m legitimately curious if anybody can really tell the difference.

They can't.

You can make a DAC where the difference is audible, but then that would be a bad design, and there's no reason to do that.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

:nallears:

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I have an older LG OLED TV 65" E6 with an LG Sound bar SH7B connected via an optical cable. When I play EAC3 content from an NVIDIA Shield it's super low volume. In regular content I have to be on the volume constantly to adjust for not being able to hear speaking parts.

I'm thinking I need something with a center channel, but I'm not sure how to get EAC3 content to play better. I recall the E6 not being able to handle the newer digital audio codecs. I don't want to run wires all over my living room and do some crazy setup right now.

Is there a sound bar that would work or do I need some other set up?

Boner Wad fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 25, 2021

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is this the right thread for speaker advice? My roommate is looking to start upgrading his 5.1 system to better speakers. Currently has Klipsch RF-42 IIs for the L/R channels and is looking @ the current 50% off Klipsch sale. What models/series would actually provide a meaningful upgrade in sound quality? Or in general, what price level should we be looking at? Would something like the R-820F @ $300 a pop be worth it, or would going up to a Reference Premier line speaker be a better idea (e.g. RP-5000F or RP-6000F). Any other brands/models to consider? One thing to note is this system is just as often used for music as it is for surround sound movies, which my instinct tells me makes the L/R speakers more important than they would be in a purely home theater setup, is that the case?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Thinking about replacing my still functioning Z-5500 setup from many moons ago.

Ive got an LG C9 so a receiver that can do 4k 120hz is important. I've got a PS5 and also will be running a cable from my PC for VRR/ 4K Gaming.

Id say my total budget is between $1000-1500.

My room is relatively small and my couch is backed up against the wall, so anything beyond 5.1 is probably a waste.

The kicker is what to do about my PC setup. It's on an opposite side of the wall so I think I'll just continue running basic 2.1s off those and rock headphones when I need serious gaming.

Any recommendations? I'll probably just use my Logitech satellites for the rear speakers.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Splinter posted:

Is this the right thread for speaker advice? My roommate is looking to start upgrading his 5.1 system to better speakers. Currently has Klipsch RF-42 IIs for the L/R channels and is looking @ the current 50% off Klipsch sale. What models/series would actually provide a meaningful upgrade in sound quality? Or in general, what price level should we be looking at? Would something like the R-820F @ $300 a pop be worth it, or would going up to a Reference Premier line speaker be a better idea (e.g. RP-5000F or RP-6000F). Any other brands/models to consider? One thing to note is this system is just as often used for music as it is for surround sound movies, which my instinct tells me makes the L/R speakers more important than they would be in a purely home theater setup, is that the case?

Reference premiere=good

L/R are always the most important although if you do have a center make it a good one because so much movie sound comes out of it (dialog)

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Dogen posted:

Reference premiere=good

L/R are always the most important although if you do have a center make it a good one because so much movie sound comes out of it (dialog)

Sold. He pulled the trigger on the RP-5000f @ $390 a pop, seemed like the extra money for the 6000s wouldn't be that noticeable with a sub.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 27, 2021

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Nice, I’m very happy with my 8000f pair up front.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Munkaboo posted:

Thinking about replacing my still functioning Z-5500 setup from many moons ago.

Ive got an LG C9 so a receiver that can do 4k 120hz is important. I've got a PS5 and also will be running a cable from my PC for VRR/ 4K Gaming.

If it helps, most games don't run at 4k 120hz. In fact, I think all of them that do are last gen(ps4/xbone) era games. I don't think any ps5/series x only games run at 120fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Looking at getting back into a decent-sounding home audio system and replacing my old Yamaha 5.1 system. I can't really do rear channels in my new house because of the room layout, even if I had the speakers mounted off poles coming down from the ceiling, they'd be in really awkward spots.

The other concern I have is HDMI switching the Apple TV, Switch, PC, BR player. I do also have a gaming PC that can do 4k @ 120hz, so I've got the HDCP 2.2 dumpster fire that I have no idea what is going on with. These two things are where having a receiver would be nice.

Is it worth buying a receiver and doing 3.1, or should I just do something like a soundbar?