Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

morothar posted:

I don’t get this. Our daughter was born here in the US in January of 2020, and had her Irish passport by August of last year (issue date July 30th). Are those things not connected? Is my Irish wife a witch?

I think you can get a passport without an irish birth cert and the birth cert is the thing that seems to be taking them a long time to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

morothar posted:

I don’t get this. Our daughter was born here in the US in January of 2020, and had her Irish passport by August of last year (issue date July 30th). Are those things not connected? Is my Irish wife a witch?

You are in a different situation.

Your daughter is automatically entitled to Irish citizenship (even though she is born in the US) due to her Irish Citizen mother.

The process for that likely hasn't become super clogged in recent years.

What Lungboy is talking about is a situation where the person was born outside Ireland, but it's their GRANDPARENT who is Irish, looking at getting Irish citizenship.

That one is flooded with applications at the moment, no doubt due to Brexit and people wanting to flee Fasc Island.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My family in the USA was doing the same in case Trump went real bad.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

The Question IRL posted:

What Lungboy is talking about is a situation where the person was born outside Ireland, but it's their GRANDPARENT who is Irish, looking at getting Irish citizenship.

That one is flooded with applications at the moment, no doubt due to Brexit and people wanting to flee Fasc Island.

Yeah it's this, my granddad was Irish but never registered my dad who was born in England as Irish so I'm having to apply to be registered.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Lungboy posted:

To answer my own question in case anyone else is interested, the processing of foreign births has resumed on a phased basis as of today. Current timescale for processing of applications is 2 years, although when i spoke to someone in August 2020 i was told they were processing applications from May 2019, so unless they've had almost no applications since then, 2 years seems utterly unrealistic.

Not the same department, but someone I know who's married to an Irish guy has applied for citizenship. She was told it would be 18 months minimum.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
https://twitter.com/KKYoungFineGael/status/1460332797873336328

Kilkenny branch of YFG has been purged and dissolved for asking that Leo step down while under criminal investigation.

If Sinn Fein did this we'd have the media talking about it for weeks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This is pure :allears:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

yung PDs when

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
This lad has to be the stupidest spin doctor the government have. He's trying to paint it as a good thing we have hospitals collapsing just because we aren't in level 5.

He was also praising Ireland not long ago as the best when we were top of the Bloomberg resilience rankings. He doesn't look at cases or ICU numbers, just what level or ranking we are at.

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1460678290004455431

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Christ, he's terrible.
https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1460686859848364036
This poo poo has been an option since I was in my teens... :smithicide:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's all gone very Mean Girls in the Dáil. My, but Micheál is a charmless prick even by political standards

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's all gone very Mean Girls in the Dáil. My, but Micheál is a charmless prick even by political standards

I still can't believe they gave him leadership let alone got taoiseach.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
FF went with the least offensive, most bland, milquetoast leadership option available. Which would have been fine if he was presiding over another 2.5 years of 2016-2019 or Celtic Tiger style economic growth. They could have done pretty much nothing and taken credit for a rising tide lifting (most) ships to rebuild their support base, that was obviously the plan.

Martin is just being shown up repeatedly because we're in a crisis that actually needs brave, decisive leadership. Which hes manifestly incapable of. Leo for all his terrible Thatcherite political views still at least had more of a spine and seemed capable of making decisions.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You ask the average punter they'd probably say Leo is Taoiseach anyway

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Heck you ask Martin and he says it half the time.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol. I'd nearly want to make a Virgin Micheál vs Chad Leo meme, but I think that would make me a FGer by default

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I'm not very surprised its coming out there's more cases in school then they let on.
It was obvious when they stopped contact tracing because it was revealing too many cases that they wanted to hide behind the lie that there's no transmission in schools.

I had to go the testing centre twice in the first few weeks of my kids primary school year and the testing centers were packed with other parents.

Obviously it was massively inconvenient for me and other parents to have to travel into Dublin city to be tested, but a better idea would have been more local test centres rather than cut it out entirely.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Marenghi posted:

I'm not very surprised its coming out there's more cases in school then they let on.
It was obvious when they stopped contact tracing because it was revealing too many cases that they wanted to hide behind the lie that there's no transmission in schools.

I had to go the testing centre twice in the first few weeks of my kids primary school year and the testing centers were packed with other parents.

Obviously it was massively inconvenient for me and other parents to have to travel into Dublin city to be tested, but a better idea would have been more local test centres rather than cut it out entirely.

Where did you have to travel from? My nearest one is still Carlow.

We had one close contact so far in my son's montessori and got PCR'd to make sure the family didn't have it.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I was coming from Balbriggan. Last year it was the national show in Swords but this term they changed it to some old arcade in Ballymun.

Over a 50km round trip that would have been exceedingly difficult to reach by public transport, and he couldn't return to class until he was tested negative there.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

It boggles my mind that people still take anything the current FF/FG government says about corona as fact when we have happenings like the schools drama currently going on. They literally said "covid doesn't spread in schools". And have since then proceeded to do their best to insist on that, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Its great that the INTO is finally succeeding in drawing attention to the problem/the government's lies. I feel sorry for any 50+ year old, or immunocrompromised, teacher being in that extremely high risk environment at present.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Have they said it's airborne yet?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Just in case you all aren't already aware, but there's a Facebook group (Alerting parents of outbreaks in schools "Ireland ") who have been collating notices sent out from schools to parents. They only post when they have 100% official info, so despite efforts to discredit them over the last 18 months, I don't think they ever been shown to have posted bad info.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

gonadic io posted:

Have they said it's airborne yet?

shut up and wash your hands

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Pookah posted:

Just in case you all aren't already aware, but there's a Facebook group (Alerting parents of outbreaks in schools "Ireland ") who have been collating notices sent out from schools to parents. They only post when they have 100% official info, so despite efforts to discredit them over the last 18 months, I don't think they ever been shown to have posted bad info.

Link to it by any chance. Would be good to know how my school is.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Same

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Here you go:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/600905740607906
They have a google docs thing collating all the known cases this school year:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...#gid=1174248515
and it is startling and encouraging to see the effect the vaccines have had. Last year, there were similar rates in primary and secondary, but this year, primary is about 5 times higher. The 2 differences in that secondary are vaccinated, and they wear masks.

edit: I've been following the group since early on and have never seen any evidence of scaremongering or attention-seeking. They genuinely seem to be a group of decent people who just want parents to have accurate information about covid in their kids schools so they can make informed choices.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 22, 2021

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Thanks for sharing.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Thanks for sharing.

Not at all, I'm not a parent myself, but I live with vulnerable people, so I like to know if i'm likely to meet infectious people at the supermarket. People are weirdly fine with bringing maskless, symptomatic children to the shops. lil Johnny coughing his guts up really needs to go to aldi today or his social development will be stunted :cry:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Pookah posted:

Not at all, I'm not a parent myself, but I live with vulnerable people, so I like to know if i'm likely to meet infectious people at the supermarket. People are weirdly fine with bringing maskless, symptomatic children to the shops. lil Johnny coughing his guts up really needs to go to aldi today or his social development will be stunted :cry:

Not having a go but a lot of the time there's not much of a choice between getting your messages in or staying home with a sick kid and getting them to wear anything let alone masks is not easy. Especially with younger ones and it's exponentially worse the more of them you have.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Not having a go but a lot of the time there's not much of a choice between getting your messages in or staying home with a sick kid and getting them to wear anything let alone masks is not easy. Especially with younger ones and it's exponentially worse the more of them you have.

Oh god, I'm not judging parents who have to just do their best when it comes to shopping with the kids. I get pissed off with 2 parent families where the ma is masked, the da is not and all the coughing kids aren't either. It sounds like a fake situation but I've seen it several times.
Like, let your shitbird husband stay outside with your symptomatic child, its not loving hard.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Pookah posted:

I pierce kid's ears in work and the amount of moms who are both surprised and livid that they have to put a mask on their kid while I work within a foot of them is VERY encouraging. Some of them have been coughing and sputtering all over the place too. I don't have any vulnerables at home but the boss is dealing with cancer atm and is overdue a booster

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
at least people here are still 99% wearing masks in shops, every time I go back to the uk mask wearing is down to like 30% or something poo poo

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
My boss came back from his annual leave to find that one of the kids they brought with them on their trip had tested positive for Covid. Queue him barely shrugging and staying in his own office working before getting a test at 3pm and heading home from there.

We're loving doomed as a species, aren't we?

We avoided him like the plague and cleaned everything in the office he might have touched.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PowerBeard posted:

We avoided him like the plague
I mean...

It kind of is the plague, or at least a plague...

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
It's the only thing that came to might.

Mainland Europe seems to be going back into lockdown quick enough. Will we be wait two weeks and then be too late?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Luke O'Neill was on Claire Byrne talking about how if we give everyone over 40 a booster by the 11th of December we'll be fine.

So yeah, lockdown from the 6th is my guess.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

PowerBeard posted:

It's the only thing that came to might.

Mainland Europe seems to be going back into lockdown quick enough. Will we be wait two weeks and then be too late?

I've heard the date of the 12th floated by two separate people who work for parties, but one of them also told me cabinet would reverse PUP cuts which doesn't seem to have materialized.

Definitely some rumours flying around the lower ranks anyway

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Girlfriend might have coronavirus but her test is at the national show center.

That's an hour by bus, if people are sick you should not be directing them to spend 2 hours on public transport.

I'd drive and collect her but the last time I visited her a prick of a guard seized my car for driving unaccompanied with no L plates.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Theres no way the government has a date set in stone for December 12th, or 16th, or any other date a few weeks away. Throughout the entire crisis they've shown they make decisions at the absolute last minute, announcing restrictions/changes with 48 hours notice.

They'll wait as long as possible to make any decision, because they're terrified of shutting down hospitality and retail in the busiest month of the year - they really, really don't want to have to restart the PUP. But it'll just come down to ICU capacity. They've never told the public, but presumably they have some red line for ICU beds that will trigger the next round of restrictions - 150 in ICUs, or 180, or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Think they'll restart the PUP? doubt it will ever be as high as it was before. They'll just put everyone on the basic jobseekers rate.