Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Powered Descent posted:

The only other Apple TV show I've watched is For All Mankind, which has its own faults, but is leaps and bounds better than Foundation.

Ted Lasso is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

That only puts it at a little less than the density of Maryland.

If we were looking at something with Washington DC’s density (which is far below Hong Kong and which has a ton of parks and administrative buildings) you’d see 800 billion people on Trantor. And this is without the need to have a continuous building over the entire planet and with only buildings 130 feet (40m) tall, lots of parks and green space.

Foundation was written mostly in the 40's, when the global population was what, around 2 billion? Maybe we can excuse Asimov's imagination a little. Book spoiler, I guess But more importantly, the book underlines the point of Trantor's reliance on surrounding farm planets, another thing that IIRC the show just ignored. It was meant to be a very fragile system, which was one of the dangers of the empire going into decay. I suppose it is unrealistic today when we're at least trying to feed billions of people, but in the book it's more about all the dangers facing the empire and the coming Collapse.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Foundation was written mostly in the 40's, when the global population was what, around 2 billion? Maybe we can excuse Asimov's imagination a little. Book spoiler, I guess But more importantly, the book underlines the point of Trantor's reliance on surrounding farm planets, another thing that IIRC the show just ignored. It was meant to be a very fragile system, which was one of the dangers of the empire going into decay. I suppose it is unrealistic today when we're at least trying to feed billions of people, but in the book it's more about all the dangers facing the empire and the coming Collapse.
The book makes it clear that Trantor has effectively no arable land and has to import billions of tons of grain daily.
Asimov made the mistake of using numbers rather than vaguely large statements.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Trantor is supposed to be the city of ancient Rome, with its population of 1 million and its need to import grain from Egypt. Which makes the Second Foundation the Catholic Church?

I always wondered what the Foundation was supposed to be in this historical analogy. Maybe England? Britannia is kind of like Terminus.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Rutibex posted:

Trantor is supposed to be the city of ancient Rome, with its population of 1 million and its need to import grain from Egypt. Which makes the Second Foundation the Catholic Church?

I always wondered what the Foundation was supposed to be in this historical analogy. Maybe England? Britannia is kind of like Terminus.

The Foundation sort of rolls through several Roman successors as time goes on, and it gets to be all of them because Seldon's Plan is forcing them to undergo major shifts as the political landscape around them changes. This regular reinvention is what allows them to continue to succeed where other states would become outdated and fall. They start out as the Catholic Church hoarding science and information and using religion to maintain their monopoly on technology, then move on to a mercantile state like Venice or Genoa. Then when they become powerful enough to rival what's left of the Empire they become a democratic nation-state. However, the historical comparisons end when the Mule shows up and the series becomes more about psychic powers.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Rutibex posted:

Probably a mid-century's view of the Hellenized Middle East to match the fall of Rome perspective: a desolate wasteland with a few Imperial ex-pats somehow keeping the flame of civilization burning by saving the ancient texts before expanding outward...
:shrug:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Probably a mid-century's view of the Hellenized Middle East to match the fall of Rome perspective: a desolate wasteland with a few Imperial ex-pats somehow keeping the flame of civilization burning by saving the ancient texts before expanding outward...
:shrug:

hell yeah give me a Canticle for Liebowitz movie

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You must mean Terminus.

Trantor had a population of 40 billion, which makes 1500 people disappearing even less of a thing.

Well spotted - yes, I meant Terminus!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

That novel would be really good for a short mini series type format but it will probably never happen

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Not if loving Apple TV is involved

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The thing I think that bothers me about this show, first amount the myriad of things that annoy me, is that there is too much dialog that is meant to be taken was profound and important. LIke the Gaal voice overs; "My mother blah blah blah blah" but a lot of stuff said by Salvor and such are all written in a way that the tone is meant to be saying some great historical importance, some great drop of knowlage and philosophy but they're just not. As I said earlier, this show really wants you to think it's way smarter than it actually is.

The only people I can accept every word being said with reverence is Empire because they would of course speak in an Imperial cantor, that they would believe that every word said is of historical importance. I also have to give credit where credit is do, is that Day really did feel like he was greatly mourning the loss of Dawn.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

You don't need psychohistory to predict that a majority of the audience could be predicted to skip Gaal's horrible episode intro monologues

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

etalian posted:

You don't need psychohistory to predict that a majority of the audience could be predicted to skip Gaal's horrible episode intro monologues

My mother would say "A fart is just a poop that wasn't born"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Are we sure this show didn't use this website for the Gaal monolouges?

https://sebpearce.com/bullshit/

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

gohmak posted:

Ted Lasso is awesome

Ted lasso is an extended iPhone commercial

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

So I never fully got this part - who caused space 9/11? Was it Hari, Demerzel or it just doesn’t matter?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

etalian posted:

Are we sure this show didn't use this website for the Gaal monolouges?

https://sebpearce.com/bullshit/

Wow, that's exactly the same level of psudeo intellectual BS that we get.

Mokotow posted:

So I never fully got this part - who caused space 9/11? Was it Hari, Demerzel or it just doesn’t matter?

DIdn't the Huntress straight up said it was people thinking that Psychohistory is true and felt they needed to push it along?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Wow, that's exactly the same level of psudeo intellectual BS that we get.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mokotow posted:

The vibe I got was it was some small time terrorists who all died during their plan, and Empire was murdering billions of blameless people for no reason

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

twistedmentat posted:

My mother would always say "life is like a box of chocolates" but are we the chocolates, or merely the dreams of long dead chocolateers?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The show would be better without voiceovers. Unless those voiceovers start with: "Captains log"

Ooh. Maybe they could start with "Empire's Log" !

That would also be an improvement.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

External Organs posted:

The show would be better without voiceovers. Unless those voiceovers start with: "Captains log"

It doesn't come up very often, but when you walk down the hall of dead Cleons, one of the holographic faces comes up as "The giant loving nerd", that's the Cleon who made the Empire fleet consist solely of Starship Enterprises.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yea I can hear this in Gaal's voice too.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I just now remembered that in the books, the Imperial Trantor accent sounded a lot like the priest in A Princess Bride...

Pwobably a good thing they changed that...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

External Organs posted:

Coincidentally, Empire’s Log is the name of the royal penis

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I can hear this in Gaal's voice too.

It's just a different type of "Experience Bijj", Raised by Wolves could at least keep me laughing and entertained with all the weird plot twists
like the Spake Snake reveal / Dark Souls costume inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwvFxQSe3Bo

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

etalian posted:

It's just a different type of "Experience Bijj", Raised by Wolves could at least keep me laughing and entertained with all the weird plot twists

I miss my Bij gangtag. What was the dark souls costume inspiration?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

etalian posted:

I did not know that existed. I withstood the Bij until the "Fred" trailer. That one hurt me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

etalian posted:

That novel would be really good for a short mini series type format but it will probably never happen

There's a Babylon 5 episode that's basically Canticle.
It's pretty good.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
The mass murder of the Foundation civilians was pointless. Everything went according to Huntress clever plan up to that point and nothing was gained tactically or otherwise. Just a lot of murder for the sake of it. Then Hari shows up and tells everybody to be friends and then they are friends.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Owling Howl posted:

The mass murder of the Foundation civilians was pointless. Everything went according to Huntress clever plan up to that point and nothing was gained tactically or otherwise. Just a lot of murder for the sake of it. Then Hari shows up and tells everybody to be friends and then they are friends.

Yeah nothing in the vault reveal had a logical payoff or any sense of realism.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Perhaps next season will be set entirely within the flower girl's mind -- she's imagining what might happen next (it's not like she has any other pressing items on her schedule at the moment), and hopefully she'll prove to be a better writer than the ones we've gotten so far. :buddy:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Gaal's "history is written by the victors, who can add and subtract as they choose. This is my story, so I'll add and subtract what I want" narration seemed to pointlessly imply the entire season was an unreliable narration

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

galenanorth posted:

Gaal's "history is written by the victors, who can add and subtract as they choose. This is my story, so I'll add and subtract what I want" narration seemed to pointlessly imply the entire season was an unreliable narration

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Powered Descent posted:

Perhaps next season will be set entirely within the flower girl's mind -- she's imagining what might happen next (it's not like she has any other pressing items on her schedule at the moment), and hopefully she'll prove to be a better writer than the ones we've gotten so far. :buddy:

Season 2 is a Odd couple inspired sitcom about the cleons. Cooky hijinks as each clone gets weirder. Robot nurse as the constant straight man.

Every other episode Hari comes in the front door *audience whoops and hollers*

The halloween episode has Hari Kramer.

datajugend fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 23, 2021

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

datajugend fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 23, 2021

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mokotow posted:

They'll probably drag out a pointless reveal for half of Season 2 that Hari was the one that did space 9/11 and also hosed up the Cleon clones which would be perfect for the Apple TV version since it would rob the story of Hari's predictive ability by making him an rear end in a top hat just make a lazy plot twist everyone can see coming.

It shouldn't matter who did those things, it was just society and time, but we can have someone lecture the Hari AI on being a mass murderer while he talks about the weight of the future, the trillions of lives saved blahblahblah.

If Gaal and Salvor can just go into perfect stasis for centuries then they should be around to fight with him for awhile.

Owling Howl posted:

It was actually strange it went according to the Huntress' plan because after the initial invasion and then several scenes of her army going house by house executing anyone that moved THEN she started asking them who their experts in various disciplines were. I guess she is lucky that literally everyone she needed turned out to be alive after what seemed like a shitload of indiscriminate murder.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 23, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rectal Death Adept posted:

It was actually strange it went according to the Huntress' plan because after the initial invasion and then several scenes of her army going house by house executing anyone that moved THEN she started asking them who their experts in various disciplines were. I guess she is lucky that literally everyone she needed turned out to be alive after what seemed like a shitload of indiscriminate murder.

Her carefully honed skill made sure the people being indiscriminately murdered weren't the people she needed for her plan to work!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I just finished the first (and only episode I’m watching, gently caress that sucked) of Wheel of Time, and if you liked that Foundation took liberties with the source material, whoo boy, do I have a show for you to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I don't know either source materials, but as a tv show, WoT is way less infuriating from a writing, directing, editing and acting point of view