Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fill Baptismal posted:

Manager at the fast causal place I went into for lunch just now was literally asking me and every other young-ish looking person that came in if we were looking for a job because they were hiring. Labor market must be crazy tight now.

Best time in a long time to be a low skill worker probably. Small business tyrants must be getting rinsed compared to larger firms that can afford to raise wages. Which is great, gently caress ‘em. But the political backlash from those kind of people is gonna be pretty scary. Imagine that’s behind a lot of the screaming for the fed to do something to ‘fight inflation’.

Nah. Nobody wants to pay you anything or give you any hours still. There are places having to reduce operations hours and probably going to close soon- but the owners don't give a poo poo, and writing it all off as a loss is better for their portfolio than raises, so nothing will change. I know so many dumbass places around here that are running just barely at like 40% staffing and my friends will go apply and then won't get hired because they're not willing to only work 20 hours a week but also be available 'just in case' the rest of the time lol.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

There's been an ag labor shortage for years. Some places, like Napa winegrowers have been paying $15-30 an hour for half a decade or more and still can't find workers due to immigration crackdowns and it being such hard, lovely work.

Even 5 years ago there were articles with growers complaining that non-immigrant workers would apply, lured by the wages, and then run away at lunch on their first day.

Wages will never climb high enough to fix the labor shortage in ag or service. Either they lobby the government to opress the people harder and make them desperate, or they go all in on automation. They're trying to do both.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Tuxedo Gin posted:

There's been an ag labor shortage for years. Some places, like Napa winegrowers have been paying $15-30 an hour for half a decade or more and still can't find workers due to immigration crackdowns and it being such hard, lovely work.

Even 5 years ago there were articles with growers complaining that non-immigrant workers would apply, lured by the wages, and then run away at lunch on their first day.
Pretty much this.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Almost like we need a sane immigration system to keep ag jobs filled, not the Orwellian mess that is focused on preventing people from coming here

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Burning_Monk posted:

I had this conversation yesterday....

"Our support desk isn't able to hire anyone, its been weeks and no one wants to work!"
Me: "Are the wages too low?"
"No, the wages are fine, people just aren't applying to the support desk because its hard work and it doesn't pay much!"
Me: "So the wages are too low?"
"No, they just can't find anyone willing to work!"
Me: ....

I work for a Fortune 500 company.

These people would love to have slavery back. They want it so badly.

Funny enough I have no trouble hiring people or keeping employees. Mostly because I stuff their faces and pockets.

Labor power is coming back baby.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 18, 2021

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Labor power is coming back baby.
https://twitter.com/larryolivetree/status/1461116061445672967

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

this would be a good basis for one of those Kelly political comics with "honest coffee shop owners" wearing a worried face while "pay chasers" walk in the door with a list of demands.

Also, it's hilarious that "unqualified" means demanding high pay, benefits, and flexibility for themselves. I don't think that's what "unqualified" means, since those things have no bearing on the ability to do the job. Unless being strung around "on call" and having your schedule being dictated to you is a qualification, which means that the employee should definitely be paid more for it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

although I can see how describing just the benefits may be more about complaints regarding the "pay chasers" than the unqualified people, who she didn't even deign to describe.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

sb hermit posted:

although I can see how describing just the benefits may be more about complaints regarding the "pay chasers" than the unqualified people, who she didn't even deign to describe.

It's 100% pay. They just know it sounds bad if they say they don't want to pay more.

You can train someone to do a job if you actually care to.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
why doesnt the job creator just go ssj John Galt and innovate and make his own good numbers go up and his bad numbers go down through his bare hands and will alone and other libertarian horse poo poo Titan of Industry stuff?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I work at a small plant business (not cannabis) and hiring is the easiest thing in the world. You just pay people decent money, offer healthcare and PTO, and don't stress them out during their day. We made 6 hires this year and only 1 didn't work out, and that because he sorta overestimated the commute he could handle. Everybody else was good-to-fantastic

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Pay chasers? What the gently caress lol

My serfs wish to be given more than 6 pence a week. Can you believe these pay chasers?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Kenning posted:

I work at a small plant business (not cannabis) and hiring is the easiest thing in the world. You just pay people decent money, offer healthcare and PTO, and don't stress them out during their day. We made 6 hires this year and only 1 didn't work out, and that because he sorta overestimated the commute he could handle. Everybody else was good-to-fantastic

NO NO NO NO! WORKERS are useless MAGGOTS and must be ground into DUST and must BEG to live every day under my sword! That's the way I like it!

- Small Business Owner Master of the Universe

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Keyser_Soze posted:

NO NO NO NO! WORKERS are useless MAGGOTS and must be ground into DUST and must BEG to live every day under my sword! That's the way I like it!

- Small Business Owner Master of the Universe

The person yelling this is also 55+ and loves to talk about how their father put together a family and owned a house etc with their Ford Factory union job and also wears diabetic support socks.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

sb hermit posted:

The unqualified people are the ones who she doesn't think will lick the boots of the Always Right Customer.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The person yelling this is also 55+ and loves to talk about how their father put together a family and owned a house etc with their Ford Factory union job and also wears diabetic support socks.

or:
1. Inherited the business which was started 100 years ago by grandpappy when it was easy/cheap to do and has bled it dry since
2. Had a cushy "gubmint" job and fat pension to fund it
3. Never had to actually work hard as a teen/20's

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Wages will never climb high enough to fix the labor shortage in ag or service. Either they lobby the government to opress the people harder and make them desperate, or they go all in on automation. They're trying to do both.

My work focuses on helping folks find affordable housing and our local clients include a ton of agricultural workers. The worst thing from our perspective is the precarity of the pay. Ag workers might work seasonally and be out of work several months a year. They might be paid based on their production or literally switch employers constantly. Meanwhile to qualify for affordable housing you need proof of income showing precisely how much you make each month. You have to make high enough wages to mollify the property manager and convince them you can afford the rent, but low enough to meet whatever random AMI income maximums you're dealing with. There's such an absurd amount of bureaucracy involved in means testing everything that really makes me hate how rather than just getting rid of these requirements we create stupid jobs like mine to solve these unforced errors.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

sb hermit posted:

this would be a good basis for one of those Kelly political comics with "honest coffee shop owners" wearing a worried face while "pay chasers" walk in the door with a list of demands.

Also, it's hilarious that "unqualified" means demanding high pay, benefits, and flexibility for themselves. I don't think that's what "unqualified" means, since those things have no bearing on the ability to do the job. Unless being strung around "on call" and having your schedule being dictated to you is a qualification, which means that the employee should definitely be paid more for it.

"unqualified" as in not white enough

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Compression socks are legit and we should all wear them to relax, diabetic or not.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FogHelmut posted:

Compression socks are legit and we should all wear them to relax, diabetic or not.

I can't be see wearing the same clothes as the yells at an iphone in the front seat of a car YouTube sector heads

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

ClothHat posted:

My work focuses on helping folks find affordable housing and our local clients include a ton of agricultural workers. The worst thing from our perspective is the precarity of the pay. Ag workers might work seasonally and be out of work several months a year. They might be paid based on their production or literally switch employers constantly. Meanwhile to qualify for affordable housing you need proof of income showing precisely how much you make each month. You have to make high enough wages to mollify the property manager and convince them you can afford the rent, but low enough to meet whatever random AMI income maximums you're dealing with. There's such an absurd amount of bureaucracy involved in means testing everything that really makes me hate how rather than just getting rid of these requirements we create stupid jobs like mine to solve these unforced errors.

The cruelty is the point.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

They updated the wording on the state-wide covid19 booster shots so if your morals prevented you from improving your 5G, you can now, in good conscience, get an appointment for the shot.

https://myturn.ca.gov/

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Even my doctor hawked myTurn and didn't mention my hmo's crappy vaccination appointment system. My HMO also went all in on Pfizer so I would have had to drive to Torrance or Anaheim (from Irvine) if I wanted a 3rd Moderna jab from them. Instead. myTurn pushed me to a local pharmacy which is much more convenient.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I got mine Saturday at a walk up Clinic at Long Beach Community College District Pacific Coast Campus. No fuss or questions asked, just what one did I want: Pfizer or Moderna

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yes it's easy. CVS is basically same or next day apts. Took like 20 min
Also claim you don't have insurance so the state pays for it as you deserve.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 22, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I got mine through Kaiser a few weeks ago because their appointment system for boosters was not especially rigorous in verifying if you met the conditions back then (I did, sort of), I suspect deliberately so. And it makes sense, an HMO of all businesses would want their customers to get vaccinated during a pandemic because of the obvious cost savings for them, a very rare case of :capitalism: and public health dovetailing.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 22, 2021

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Also claim you don't have insurance so the state pays for it as you deserve.
Why do you want the state to pay cvs that $5 instead of your health insurance?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I got mine through Kaiser a few weeks ago because their appointment system for boosters was not especially rigorous in verifying if you met the conditions back then (I did, sort of), I suspect deliberately so. And it makes sense, an HMO of all businesses would want their customers to get vaccinated during a pandemic because of the obvious cost savings for them, a very rare case of :capitalism: and public health dovetailing.

Do you think they crunched numbers to determine which saved them the most money? Letting people die from COVID to save on future diabetes induced treatments vs. long COVID costs?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Foxfire_ posted:

Why do you want the state to pay cvs that $5 instead of your health insurance?

For most people it probably amounts to more when it goes through healthcare. Correct me if I'm wrong here

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

droll posted:

Do you think they crunched numbers to determine which saved them the most money? Letting people die from COVID to save on future diabetes induced treatments vs. long COVID costs?

I'm pretty sure they worked out very early on that a lot of Kaiser subscribers (or members or whatever) occupying inpatient rooms as they died of COVID would be way more expensive than getting them members the vaccine from the federal government. And there's free positive PR into the bargain.

Plus Kaiser members who die can't pay their premiums next year.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 22, 2021

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

For most people it probably amounts to more when it goes through healthcare. Correct me if I'm wrong here
The dose itself is paid for by the federal government. The government buys Pfizers doses at $20 each, Moderna at $15 (Moderna took grant money for development, Pfizer didn't), gives them to the states, who give them out to end distribution.

When a pharmacy is setting up the agreement with the state to store and administer (government owned) doses, they negotiate a per-dose fee for doing that. It is only covering storage and injection, not the dose itself. If the patient has health insurance, they bill that for the fee. If the patient certifies they don't have health insurance, they bill a federal program. In either case, the pharmacy/insurance is barred from charging the patient anything.

The fee will be different from place to place, but isn't big. The paperwork on the booster I got at a San Francisco Wallgreens says they charged Blue Shield $2.59 for injecting me

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It’s kinda sad that the vaccine development isn’t seen as more of an accomplishment. Developing an incredibly effective vaccine in record time using new methods and rapidly getting it out. Should be putting that poo poo on postage stamps like stuff like the moon landing.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fill Baptismal posted:

It’s kinda sad that the vaccine development isn’t seen as more of an accomplishment. Developing an incredibly effective vaccine in record time using new methods and rapidly getting it out. Should be putting that poo poo on postage stamps like stuff like the moon landing.

Enormous scientific accomplishment, even bigger public policy failure

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

It is an accomplishment for sure. I think only reason people overlook that is because we were sent back to work to die.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Enormous scientific accomplishment, even bigger public policy failure

How is it a public policy failure? The logistics and supply were there to get everyone vaccinated by August. At this point the low vaccination rates fall completely on the general population, not any public policy failures.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Seph posted:

How is it a public policy failure? The logistics and supply were there to get everyone vaccinated by August. At this point the low vaccination rates fall completely on the general population, not any public policy failures.

That is a public policy failure.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It's a public policy failure, but not so much one with this specific vaccine mandate. The policy failure was 40 years of hammering into people's heads that no one was going to help them, and they could go gently caress themselves, such that the idea of a government-led program for the general welfare strikes so many people as inherently suspicious, even malicious.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Fill Baptismal posted:

The accomplishment has already been commemorated in the only way that matters.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Don't forget decades of outright lying to African American communities about health issues which has created a quite frankly well deserved level of skepticism of government health science.

Additionally after the first round of vaccines the federal government and also many blue states basically hung a "Mission Accomplished!" banner up and started easing restrictions, and whoops now we're actually not too far off the number of COVID cases we had a year ago with no vaccine! It's clear even with the vaccine we need to keep people home, limit high-risk activities like indoor dining and in-person learning, etc but everybody in power knows it would be political suicide so nobody is going to be the one to pull the trigger on another lockdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If your policy does not result in the public being adequately protected, it is a failure :shrug:

I think the last two years have shown a cascading abdication of duty and ethical responsibility on the part of officials at literally every level of government in the US. Low vaccination rates "fall on the general population" because the buck has been passed from the very top aaaaallll the way down to the very bottom. The general population has no business making those decisions. California has done better than most states, but it still failed. Success was never a possibility.

So why isn't the vaccination research and rollout more widely commended? Because there is a failure here that topples all our success.